Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stamina or Magika?

BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
I would like to play a duel wield templar, however I notice that I use magika and stamina when I play.  Will I have the chance later to turn all my templar abilities to stamina or vice versa?  Is this a bad pairing?  I would like to do dsp and heal when I'm in a group.

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    You might be better off looking up a site that shows and explains builds for ESO.  Kind of like Icy-veins for WoW for example.  Unless @Iselin is willing to give you a great explanation.  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2017
    All the class abilities start off as magicka and only some of them have stamina morphs. But that's fine since 99% of builds have a mix of weapon/class/other abilities (other being mage's and fighter's guild, undaunted, PVP, etc.)

A typical stamina templar will have all or most points in stamina and for PVE, will usually have dual wield on the main bar and a bow on the back bar. As you level and before you start adding some of those "other" skills, that dual wield bar will typically have 3 or 4  DW skills on it and just Biting Jabs, the stamina morph of puncturing strikes from the Templar skills.

The Bow bar OTOH, will typically have just 2 bow skills, Endless Hail and Poison Injection, and the other 3 will be Templar skills like Binding Javelin, Power of the Light, Repentance, etc.

Also, It's perfectly fine to have 1 or 2 magicka skills on a stamina build with some caveats:
    1. damaging or healing skills that scale with magicka will be much weaker when used in a stamina build (but a mediocre heal is better than none - a good example is the Templar's Honor the dead which is also quite cheap to use on yourself when your health is below 75%.)
    2. But there are some magicka costing buffs that work at 100% efficiency with a stamina build because they don't scale. An example of this is the Templar's Rune Focus and its morphs that buff your resistances and reduce damage taken.

EDIT: I just noticed that you say you also want to heal in groups... then yes, a stamina based Templar with dual wielding is indeed a bad a idea. All the Templar heals and the restoration staff heals scale off magicka so you want a magicka build not stamina to be a healing Templar. And that means also using weapons that scale with magicka. Namely the destruction and restoration staves. 

MrMelGibsonKyleranExcession
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I have been trying to find good info to read but when I search I'm having trouble finding anything current or my search-fu sucks.

So I would assume by your post Iselin you cant switch specs to be a healer or dps.  You must choose before hand?
    Beyorn said:
    I have been trying to find good info to read but when I search I'm having trouble finding anything current or my search-fu sucks.

So I would assume by your post Iselin you cant switch specs to be a healer or dps.  You must choose before hand?
    Resetting your health/stamina/magicka allocation is cheap and is done at one shrine in the capital city of your alliance. Resetting your skills can be a bit more expensive but you have a choice of just resetting morphs which is cheap, or all skills which can be expensive. The more points you're resetting the more expensive it is so it's fairly cheap if you're doing it for a low level character.

Deltia's gaming used to be the go to site for builds but he doesn't keep them current any longer. The most popular place for builds these days is Alcast HQ but his focus is on end-game all decked-out builds.

I personally roll alts all the time and when I do magicka builds I do DPS/healer hybrids. I start out as DPS with a destro staff, preferably a lightning one, and add the resto staff at level 15.

I can heal normal dungeons just fine with just 3 healing abilities: If I'm playing a class that lacks it's own class "oh shit" heal (DK and NB) I just use the first 3 skills from the resto staff and use the 3rd one, Blessing of Protection, as my big heal to supplement the two hots I always keep up (Rapid regen and Illustrious healing.)

Wardens, Templars and Sorcerers all have their own big instant heal although the Sorcerer's Twilight Matriarch takes a bit longer to unlock. Wardens and Templars get theirs as literally the very first healing skill. Those 3 classes really only need the first 2 resto skills + their own class big heal to be a healer in normal dungeons. Pay attention also to the resto staff passives since they increase your healing done and help you regenerate magicka.

You also want to have one damage dealing class ultimate and one healing/shielding one. All classes have them. 

It's very easy to set-up one bar for DPS and the other for healing and buffs and play like a true heals/DPS hybrid while you're leveling. If you're the groups healer, as long as you remember that your primary role in the group is healing and only DPS when it's safe to do so, you can do both in groups. If your role is DPS then the heals are just there for back-up and they come in handy quite often.

Later on when you're high level and want to run veteran dungeons, you do need to specialize more and that's where Alcast's and other builds come in handy.

And a word of advise about PUGs. When you first start healing, some dungeons are much easier than others. Don't queue for random dungeons as a healer until you feel really comfortable. When you're new just queue for Banished Cells, Fungal Grotto and Spindleclutch and only the "1" version of those since the "2" versions are much trickier and harder. Learn to heal there and then start adding the 1 version of other dungeons. Stay away from healing the DLC dungeons until you've run them several times as DPS - those are the hardest dungeon runs.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    The thing about cheap stamina/magicka resets is that the skills aren't once you get leveled up. That's why I think it's good to pick a stat path and stick with it (unless you made some mistakes and want to retool). Resetting morphs isn't bad, but when you reset from stamina to magicka or vice versa you have to pay the big fee.

Some people make mad cash and don't find it expensive. I'm not great at making mad cash and it's always expensive to me. I'd rather spend that on other stuff like inventory expansions and so on.

Having the flexibility to fix a trait or stat mistake is one feature I love about this game. Also a couple bad skill choices can work themselves out over time as you might unlock them eventually anyway.
    Personally I would roll a new character also with the right focus. But for brand new players that can also be expensive If they've spent gold already expanding the character's inventory space. Depending on level and extra bag space bought it may actually be cheaper to reset skills.

I do have gold so every time I start a new alt I give him 20K gold to get his inventory up to 100. Then, no matter how crappy his wacky experimental build might be, he's not allowed to be deleted until he has deposited at least 20K gold back in the bank... I'm only slightly OCD :)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User][Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• OnodrimOnodrim Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Whatever you pick doesn't matter, they will nerf it next patch and you can start over. Best bet is to play a bunch of toons and hope one is nerfed less than the others...