Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMO/RPG lore would you like to be made into a TV series like Game of Thrones with high budget

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Hey guys, 

Which one would I choose: 

I guess I haven't played many MMO's nor do I pay attention to the story very much. So I'd have to say, maybe EVE. But they'd have to make it where there aren't set good and set evil sides, there are shades of grey. 

Okay, go. 

P.s. can't choose star wars or WoW because they have already made movies for it. 
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2017
    Personally, I would love to see the Mass Effect Trilogy made into a HBO/Netflix series.  It's a great story with great characters.  

You also already have the real life Shepard, so if he can act at all you're set!

And if for some reason his voice sounds like David Beckem ( mouth F@!K@G a helium bottle).  You could just dub over his voice with the same voice actor that did the games.

Another actor whose likeness was used in the game:

Post edited by MrMelGibson on
    Octagon7711
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Dark Age of Camelot
    MrMelGibsonViper482Octagon7711Hefaistos
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    If it's not based on actual books. it's not going to turn out well at all.
    Allerleirauh
    If it's not based on actual books. it's not going to turn out well at all.
    Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul prove that's not always the case.
    ConstantineMerus
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The Witcher series is a good choice for HBO/Netflix due to the dark setting, sex, and gory combat.  Those all seem to be hallmarks of both platforms' original series lineup.

Bioshock would make a great horror/thriller movie if you focused on the original's creepy usage of little girls and the genetic splicing gone wrong in an underwater utopian-turned-dystopian society.  There's also something inherently creepy about the retro tech theme.

The Secret World is another that would fit Netflix's bill, and it's ripe for a horror series due to the massive amount of monsters inhabiting that game world combined with the power struggles of a few powerful organizations trying to survive and assert control over a world gone awry.

MrMelGibson

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I'm not a huge fan of long running TV series like GoT, Lost, Breaking Bad etc.

I'd like to see a film(trilogy?) based on Deus Ex.
    Viper482winghaven1

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Read the title as MMORPG. For RPGs there are a lot of options. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Fallout, Dark Souls, Elder Scrolls, all got a lot to offer.

But my final choice would have to be Bloodborne. That game has one of the best lores ever. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,072
    edited September 2017
    The Witcher series is a good choice for HBO/Netflix due to the dark setting, sex, and gory combat.  Those all seem to be hallmarks of both platforms' original series lineup.

Your in luck then- http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series
    Azaron_NightbladeMadFrenchie
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Elder Scrolls could have a fantastic series, FF as well.
    Panther2103
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    WoW. Warcraft has more lore than most MMOs, and its fantasy which is always more popular than other settings and its also the most well known MMO setting to be made into a show.

It also has a HUGE potential funding behind it, since Blizzard rakes in the dough. And WoW is still played by millions, and remains most subbed MMO decades later.

And it be very successful in the Asia region, where as an MMO like ESO is more a western thing.
    MrMelGibsonExcession

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Asheram said:

Your in luck then- http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/17/netflix-to-produce-the-witcher-tv-series
    He's in luck twice actually. Johnny Depp's company is making Secret World show. Funcom announced it a month or two ago.
    AsheramMadFrenchie

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

WoW. Warcraft has more lore than most MMOs, and its fantasy which is always more popular than other settings and its also the most well known MMO setting to be made into a show.

It also has a HUGE potential funding behind it, since Blizzard rakes in the dough. And WoW is still played by millions, and remains most subbed MMO decades later.

And it be very successful in the Asia region, where as an MMO like ESO is more a western thing.
    Looks like someone didn't bother to read the OP.  He said not to post about Wow since it already has a movie.
    TheScavengerExcession
    edited September 2017

Looks like someone didn't bother to read the OP.  He said not to post about Wow since it already has a movie.
    a movie and a tv series like game of thrones are two very different things.

Also star wars already had tv shows (they/it (I think there were multiple) were cartoons, but still were star wars shows)

The OP just doesn't like WoW is all. Star wars is a movie, but also had at least one tv series on it.

So I'll trigger you, and still say a game of thrones style warcraft show is the best and would make the most money since it would do extremely well in asia
    MrMelGibsonExcession

Also star wars already had tv shows (they/it (I think there were multiple) were cartoons, but still were star wars shows)

The OP just doesn't like WoW is all. Star wars is a movie, but also had at least one tv series on it.

So I'll trigger you, and still say a game of thrones style warcraft show is the best and would make the most money since it would do extremely well in asia
    Me pointing out your stupidity is not triggering anything lol.  Maybe my laughter.  But go ahead and hit "wtf" like you always do when someone disagrees with you.
    TheScavengerExcession

Me pointing out your stupidity is not triggering anything lol.  Maybe my laughter.  But go ahead and hit "wtf" like you always do when someone disagrees with you.
    you are the one who got overly defensive and complained that I said WoW lol. This thread is just for fun, so who cares if someone says a star wars game of thrones style show or warcraft or whatever else.
    Excession

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Eve
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Shows and movies based on games tend to be bad as a general rule. Not sure there is any MMO I think they should do a movie about.

Especially given the number of rich book series that still don't have a show as of yet. I think Wheel of Time would make an amazing show if they did it right.
    TheScavenger
    edited September 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Shows and movies based on games tend to be bad as a general rule. Not sure there is any MMO I think they should do a movie about.

Especially given the number of rich book series that still don't have a show as of yet. I think Wheel of Time would make an amazing show if they did it right.
    Yeah, there are a lot of books still to do

Wheel of Time would be epic

And imagine a Dragonlance tv series, that was my first fantasy book series I ever read. 

A Redwall tv series could be good too, aimed more at children/teens than say game of thrones is. But it would probably have a large adult fan base from people who grew up with it.

For an adult themed series, anything with Drizzt Do'Urden in it please. 
    Excession

So I'd have to say, maybe EVE. But they'd have to make it where there aren't set good and set evil sides, there are shades of grey. 
    While EVE tried to do this and there is clear room to debate who is in the right between the Gallante and Caldari, I don't think who is in the right when it comes to Amarr vs Minmatar is a subject that's really up for serious debate. Ethnic based slavery is a hard issue to defend.

In order to cast the Minmatar as bad guys they would have to go with some super trite storyline about "Hero's don't kill!" "Yeah the Amarr are in the wrong but you shouldn't use violence!"

Personally I think there are enough shows out there pushing that trite pacifist bullcrap. One of the thing that I love so much about Game of Thrones is that the heros are actually willing to get their hands dirty instead of making a bunch of my-little-pony inspired feel good decisions that would never get results in the real world.
    Cryomatrix
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    ark
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    The Secret World
    Octagon7711
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Eldurian said:

So I'd have to say, maybe EVE. But they'd have to make it where there aren't set good and set evil sides, there are shades of grey. 
    While EVE tried to do this and there is clear room to debate who is in the right between the Gallante and Caldari, I don't think who is in the right when it comes to Amarr vs Minmatar is a subject that's really up for serious debate. Ethnic based slavery is a hard issue to defend.

In order to cast the Minmatar as bad guys they would have to go with some super trite storyline about "Hero's don't kill!" "Yeah the Amarr are in the wrong but you shouldn't use violence!"

Personally I think there are enough shows out there pushing that trite pacifist bullcrap. One of the thing that I love so much about Game of Thrones is that the heros are actually willing to get their hands dirty instead of making a bunch of my-little-pony inspired feel good decisions that would never get results in the real world.

Historically, looking in the past, I mean like medieval times and ancient times, I think slavery was considered something normal. If you got captured during a war, you either got killed, made prisoner, or became a slave and it was probably widely accepted. I may be wrong about this, I wonder if it was just an accepted practice for losing a war. Doesn't mean you enjoyed it, but it was understood. 

That's a theory I have, I'll be happy if someone tells me I'm wrong, but if you look at personal accounts, the way people looked at slavery was something normal at the time. I'm not saying it is right, i'm not condoning it, I am just saying that it may have been, "that's life". 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    I think an arguable case can be made that it is ok in case of prisoners captured in war, debters etc. But the slavery in EVE is specifically ethnic. The Amarr are a race that enslave other races until they are deemed civilized enough to be integrated into Amarr society.

In EVE all of the major races other than the Amarr are more based on modern societies. The Gallante are a Democratic Republic, the Minmatar are a Republic and the Caldari are a corporate police state. So in the context of the world they are the only ones quite that backwards.

The Minmatar on the other hand are a republic made up of former slaves who won their independence. They are fighting because many Minmatar are still enslaved by the Amarr and they want to free them.

I really don't see that conflict being spun realistically as a "shades of grey" kind of thing. The Minmatar are pretty clearly in the moral right.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I'm excited about the witcher.  The thing that bothers me is since people already know the story, it'll be a bit less exciting.  It's like watching game of throne when you already saw the book.
  • ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497
    I'll watch the Everquest Animated Series.