Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best Cancelled MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe 10 Best Cancelled MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

MMOs are supposed to last forever, or as long as possible. EverQuest is nearing 20 years old, and the lesser known Meridian 59 is over two decades old. But due to circumstance, poor decisions, or otherwise, some of the best and most loved games in our genre don’t last nearly as long as they should. In today’s list we’re celebrating the very best of the games that have been cancelled, shut down, or outright murdered by poor decisions.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KravisKravis Member UncommonPosts: 186
    I will never forgive NCSoft for the COH shutdown!
    Preciousmijoewolf79Blaze_RockerSaltyDog79Truvidien88SamhaelMikeBHoochlerThornrageedujamand 4 others.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    when i read this part

" AC fore goes dividing the world up into zones, creating one huge seamless world where thousands of gamers may exist in the realm at the same time. "

i think wow this game was made in 1998 and it was already doing what games today cant do.

I miss AC damn them for shutting it down.....
    RolanStormAlomarScotchUpHluillNordicApache
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    What happened to SWG was a damn crime. If Disney could/would re-release that game, pre-cu, after a serious bug crushing, and a total re-do on Kashyyk, update the graphics, and I bet it would be at least twice as popular as it was in it's hey day.

I might even say re-do the way Jedi is opened, make it more task based (not quests) but certain actions grant you certain points (undisclosed, and random by player) towards opening Jedi/Sith. Anyway, not really an in depth study on the topic, but I would love to see it come back...minus the bugs of course.

I disagree on Planetside. It was still running until after the release of PS2. Thinking about it my timeline may be off there. However, while Sony may have made some mistakes it was a long running game that had to be removed to make way for a different version. My thoughts are PS 2 was too far divorced from the original and should have stayed closer to its roots.
    Blaze_RockerRolanStormAlomarFrodoFraginsThornrageAlverantAdminNordicApache

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Tabula Rasa !
    KynmoreExcessionSAPninjaexiled_childsschruppNordicApache
  • M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited September 2017
    I miss the old SWG so much, maybe some day we will get a good Star Wars MMORPG.
    Change PS with Tabula Rasa and the list is perfect. :)
    CapodecinaThornrageNordicApache
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited September 2017
    Warhammer Online by Climax, I would rather have seen than game got finished due It were more dark, gritty and bloody and open world design, no zones just one huge world set in Reikland region than zoned on rails Warhammer: Age of Reckoning.

Here is a old vid of the game.

Post edited by Maurgrim on
    MrMelGibson
  • irvenirven Member UncommonPosts: 27
    richard garriott tabula rasa not listed oO
    KynmoreSAPninjaexiled_childsschrupp
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    AA is only the 10th? Up the the recent Crossout (which is just the combat and has no MMO part) there was nothing even similar for a decade... it was way ahead of the time, for example one of the points those NCdiots made that people rarely group up and just solo - well, 10 years passed and now that's the norm in the genre => see, ahead of the time :smiley:

Fun writing, nice story, both character and vehicle building, lots of PvE but also 3 sided mass pvp for those who liked that. Races (literally, as in vehicles on set courses against each other and the timer :wink: ), exploration, hidden routes, Mad Max feel on the human side, etc.
    Not to mention its fast pace, it wasn't a crappy action combat game, had the tab-target as any decent MMO, but with the vehicles roaming around, tons of positioning and AoE, different handling based on tires and terrain and the build of your vehicle made it an adrenaline rush compared to the games of that era.

Really miss AA, and Crossout is much closer to shooters like WoT (with some Kerbal added into the mix), than a substitute of AA.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Something something Tabula Rasa.
    KynmoreSAPninjaMrMelGibson

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I agree with SWG being #1. SoE Messed up on so many opportunities, but i'm grateful for the experience I had regardless.
    immodiumAlomarbartoni33ThornrageHatefullTriamnNordicApache
  • setsua28setsua28 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I`m greatful i got to play these games in the past, also sad that some of these are closed down :(

Everyone hide DAOC,UO,EQ 1&2 from the MMO reaper.
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Miss you Vanguard! Please someone pick it up and give a relaunch!!
    Hluillmatogl0396
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    hopefully pantheon is what us vanguard fans are waiting for :)
    Mackaveli44ThupliHatefullmatogl0396Kiori001

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Loved warhammer, mythic destroyed this game.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

Hell no! I don't want Daybreak anywhere near that game. Pantheon is what we are waiting for now.
    matogl0396
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710

I absolutely agree man!!! Cannot wait for Pantheon! I miss Vanguard dearly. Even with all its bugs and issues the sheer size and scope of the world, the depth of the world with all its open dungeons, etc, it was truly incredible. Some people couldn't get passed all the bugs which was sad cause it was by far, the top of this list for me personally.
    Panther2103matogl0396
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Kravis said:
    I will never forgive NCSoft for the COH shutdown!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

I absolutely agree man!!! Cannot wait for Pantheon! I miss Vanguard dearly. Even with all its bugs and issues the sheer size and scope of the world, the depth of the world with all its open dungeons, etc, it was truly incredible. Some people couldn't get passed all the bugs which was sad cause it was by far, the top of this list for me personally.
    I agree as well. The only other game on this list that I was upset about the shutdown was COH. But Vanguard was more fun for me in every aspect. Pantheon should be amazing based on what I've seen.
    Kiori001
  • KhegobierKhegobier Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited September 2017
    PlanetSide honestly doesn't belong on the list given PlanetSide 2 is all that PlanetSide was and then some.  SOE was pretty faithful in making PlanetSide 2.  For all intents, PlanetSide never died.
    AlomarKynmoreAzaron_Nightbladewilcoxon
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Interestingly enough 5 or perhaps even 6 of those games had 3 factions, never realized this before. (I only played a couple of the ones without it)
    HatefullMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    An infinitely more interesting list then 'that other one.' As mentioned above, where is Tabula Rasa? I really think it should take the PS spot. Also big thumbs up for AA, played it from launch till closure and although there were many things wrong with it, it was one of a kind.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Panther2103
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I know that NCsoft claims it was all about the money but I will never understand how they could close the best superhero MMO on the market at a time when western superheroes had never been more popular. Seems like with a little more advertising they could have temporarily solved the income issue and kept the players happy for at least another year.
    Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
    ThornrageAzaron_NightbladeAlverantwilcoxonDavodtheTuttGladDogsschrupp

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    So many good memories from those games... E&B and SWG being the ones I miss the most.
    Kynmore
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Torval said:
    I kind of feel like Lineage should be on the list, and Dungeon Runners should get an honorary mention. It wasn't the greatest MMO. In fact it wasn't truly an mmo, but it was one of the first (if not first) shared world lobby mmo-lite games and the first game NC killed that set the trend of pruning games that just don't make enough money.

The sad aspect to me is that no one gets to jump in and try them out now except through private servers and that's an entirely different realm and never the same game experience.
    Lineage is an odd one for NA. They kept that running with such a little playerbase I'm surprised it wasn't shut down way sooner. I had a copy of it, but only played maybe an hour before giving up (I was also very young at the time so my attention span was very short). From what I heard people were saying there was like 50 people on concurrently before the shutdown announcement. 

I've always wanted to go try out a private server, but none of them have any players really. 
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    SWG was a broken mess... A glorious vision but a broken mess....

In fact that can be said for most games on this list.

Golelorn[Deleted User]WylfAzaron_NightbladeConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

This have been a good conversation