Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueHole Eying Fortnite Battle Royale Similarities - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlueHole Eying Fortnite Battle Royale Similarities - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - MMORPG.com

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds News - BlueHole is eying Fortnite's upcoming Battle Royale mode for what it perceives as too many similarities to PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. The company is looking at the game play style as well as Epic Games using PUBG in its promotional material and in communication with press and its community. According to BH CEO Chang Han Kim, "The PUBG community has and continues to provide evidence of the many similarities as we contemplate further action".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Wonder if they'll go after every game that has a battle royale mode? Every new type of game gets emulated ad nauseum: MMOs to MOBAs to Survival now to Battle Royale.
    strangeside[Deleted User]pantaroMrMelGibsonKyleran

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• aeunexcoreaeunexcore Member UncommonPosts: 45

SBFord said:

Wonder if they'll go after every game that has a battle royale mode?

LOL Monopoly at its finest.
  • Wrath_startWrath_start Member UncommonPosts: 3
    i mean if thats the case couldnt h1z1 file a lawsuit towards PubG?
    SBFordstrangeside[Deleted User]pantaroAvarixMrMelGibsonKyleran
  • ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I mean. The same guy made the same game three times in a row (Battle Royale mod for Arma 2/3, H1Z1's King of the Hill mode, PUBG) and everything was dandy. Someone else does something similar, and suddenly its a problem? This is only the tip of the iceberg. With PUBG shattering all kinds of records, we're going to be seeing the next big thing to emulate. You think Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and all of the smaller companies are going to let something thats become the biggest, most played game on Steam pass them by?

Welcome to the new MOBA. Expect to see a thousand and one clones in the next couple years.
    SBFordstrangesideKyleran
  • novakayne88novakayne88 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    no, because its all based on a japanese book the same book the hunger games is based on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    There were battle royale games before PUBG, look they start their greediness, they better fix their game before trying to take action against companies who makes better optimized games
    sirchristhe
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If you can't innovate, then legislate !
    Talonsin
  • ArimaWasTakenArimaWasTaken Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Guys, the problem here is not that it's the same genre. It's the fact that it is basically the EXACT same game on a different graphics engine lol.
    Dota 2 is not League of Legends as they play very differently while still being the same genre, for instance.
    Kyleran
  • ArimaWasTakenArimaWasTaken Member UncommonPosts: 21

Shaiapouf said:

I mean. The same guy made the same game three times in a row (Battle Royale mod for Arma 2/3, H1Z1's King of the Hill mode, PUBG) and everything was dandy. Someone else does something similar, and suddenly its a problem? This is only the tip of the iceberg. With PUBG shattering all kinds of records, we're going to be seeing the next big thing to emulate. You think Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and all of the smaller companies are going to let something thats become the biggest, most played game on Steam pass them by?

Welcome to the new MOBA. Expect to see a thousand and one clones in the next couple years.

I fail to see the copyright issue with him copying his other games, they're still his intellectual property. The problem comes when someone tries to steal SOMEONE ELSE's idea.
    ComanKyleran
  • Wrath_startWrath_start Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Scellow said:
    There were battle royale games before PUBG, look they start their greediness, they better fix their game before trying to take action against companies who makes better optimized games
    For sure Fortine battle royal runs so damn smooth and the loot system is actually a lot more fun + on the spot building keeps things really interesting.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I just don't see how you can basically own the idea of a game. You don't see all the MOBAs getting sued because they all have the same general layout. People can try, but honestly I can't see how they could get away with a monopoly on how a game mode plays. Valve isn't suing people for having games with modes similar to Counterstrike. The game started as a mod, just like the MOBA genre. Blue hole doesn't own the rights to the idea. 
    SBFord
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Shaiapouf said:

IT depends how much they are copying.

If they take the general idea and flesh it out so it's its own thing then no big deal. But if huge chunks of the design are lifted then "yes" that's a problem.

As far as your initial statement, I'm not sure what your point is. If it's his design and he has the rights to that design he can use/reuse it as much as he wants.

It's other people who can't use identical portions.
    ArimaWasTaken
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KhegobierKhegobier Member UncommonPosts: 54
    The key is likely the fact that Epic advertised Battle Royal mode using the PBUG reference explicitly.
    Kyleran
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Battle Royale has existed for 20+ years. The Koyreans don't have a single foot to stand on at this point. Sueing the hand that feeds you is a pretty stupid move no matter who you are. BlueHole just went full finebros. After reaching massive success they shot themselves in the foot, nice going Koys.
  • McLeetMcLeet Member UncommonPosts: 18

Guys, the problem here is not that it's the same genre. It's the fact that it is basically the EXACT same game on a different graphics engine lol.

Dota 2 is not League of Legends as they play very differently while still being the same genre, for instance.

I wouldn't really say its the exact same at all. Fortnite has taken the base mechanics of any battle royale game (Run around an island looting as much equipment you can and then run away from some form of death wall that is forcing all remaining players into a small combat area) and added the fortnite mechanics on top that allow you to destroy and build your own fortifications. The building adds a whole new layer of gameplay that you don't get in any other Battle Royale game. Having to go up against someone who has built a small fortress is terrifying.
    SBFord
  • 123ffxiv123ffxiv Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Does this remind anyone of the Paladins/Overwatch/TF2 thing? BHG has no water to tread on with this one.
    SBFord
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    no, because its all based on a japanese book the same book the hunger games is based on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale
    The term was used long before that.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    There's no legal ground for anything he's just blowing smoke

Sounds like they're afraid of F2P competition :)
    BotoBRMrMelGibsonSBFord
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

Khegobier said:

The key is likely the fact that Epic advertised Battle Royal mode using the PBUG reference explicitly.

But how many dev studios have referenced their game as Diablo Style? This is a total non issue
    MrMelGibsonSBFord
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I guess the culling should sue them all.
    SBFord
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    edited September 2017
    Sorry but Pubg doesn't own battle royale stuff, far from it. That said I don't even see how pubg is even popular, the game looks like garbage. I just don't see the draw to it at all. As for the UI issues, both are tps/fps games, there are only so many ways you can do the UI. I am pretty sure pubg ripped its ui off something else.
    BotoBR

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Siveria said:
    Sorry but Pubg doesn't own battle royale stuff, far from it. That said I don't even see how pubg is even popular, the game looks like garbage. I just don't see the draw to it at all.
    It's very fun if you like the type of game. Which obviously you don't. Doesn't make it garbage.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonArimaWasTakenwinghaven1
  • BotoBRBotoBR Member UncommonPosts: 8
    black hole does not own battleroyale mode how many mobs we have around so not LOL came out suing everyone, more games the better for community and Fortine is going to be a great success game fuck you black hole.
  • BotoBRBotoBR Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited September 2017
    PUBG thanks to the streemers, without them black hole was nothing. 26th I'll be playing fortinite.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I don't understand how you can copyright a game mode.  Did anyone ever sue someone over using Death Match or Team Death match in their games?  The answer is no.  This developer should just enjoy their recent success and just understand that a popular game will be emulated by other future games.  Take that energy and put it back into their game so it stays on top instead of grasping at straws.
    SBFord