Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of anything really new to look forward to

Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
Having had played a significant number of hours and characters in many of the top AAA games over the years, there does appear to be a lack of anything new and potentially great on the horizon.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I always had a game release date in my diary for the next new release to invest my time into but things appear to have changed somewhat.

Are we ever likely to see another MMORPG AAA game that reaches the heights (not necessarily the same type of game though) as WoW, Guild Wars 2, ESO, Lord of the Rings, EVE online, Anarchy Online, Everquest and a long list of others that have been around in the past 10 years and beyond?

Comments

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    I  looked into my magic crystal ball, comparing the MMORPG market of the past and the last years and what kind of multiplayer games are most popular today I came to the following conclusion: No for another AAA MMORPG anytime soon (tm), maybe never !

My recommendation: You have to adapt.
    Kyleranpantaro
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited September 2017
    Kane72 said:
    Having had played a significant number of hours and characters in many of the top AAA games over the years, there does appear to be a lack of anything new and potentially great on the horizon.

Maybe I'm just missing it, but I always had a game release date in my diary for the next new release to invest my time into but things appear to have changed somewhat.

Are we ever likely to see another MMORPG AAA game that reaches the heights (not necessarily the same type of game though) as WoW, Guild Wars 2, ESO, Lord of the Rings, EVE online, Anarchy Online, Everquest and a long list of others that have been around in the past 10 years and beyond?
    no.

Well, not for a very long time.

huh, come to think of it I think an Amazon game studio is making an mmo and there is Ashes of creation.

So there you go, that's two. If they get finished and are released.
    ScotchUpMrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BloodastralBloodastral Member UncommonPosts: 35
    What about:

Anthem
    Pantheon Rise of the Fallen
    Saga of Lucimia
    Chronicles of Elyria
    Shroud of the Avatar
    Ashes of Creation
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I like to migrate around. Shooters, RPG's, single player, survival, etc. My point is, it may be time to expand your horizons. Just a suggestion, I do agree in the MMO arena there isn't much that I am excited about, but that is more on me than the genre if I am being honest.
    MrMelGibson

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    What about:

Anthem
    Pantheon Rise of the Fallen
    Saga of Lucimia
    Chronicles of Elyria
    Shroud of the Avatar
    Ashes of Creation
    You could add star citizen, crowfall, chamelot unchained, etc etc

Then make this same thread a year from now and list them all again because there isn't a concrete release date between the lot of them.

Unless it's Shroud of the Avatar, let's be real nobody is gonna give a shit when that heap actually "releases".
    Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The only upcoming MMORPG I'm interested in is "Dual Universe", and that's probably a mid-2019 launch...

Mainstream gaming seems to be focusing on 64-player "survival" games, battle arenas and crpgs...
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Hatefull said:
    I like to migrate around. Shooters, RPG's, single player, survival, etc. My point is, it may be time to expand your horizons. Just a suggestion, I do agree in the MMO arena there isn't much that I am excited about, but that is more on me than the genre if I am being honest.
    Yeah, I had to break down and start playing other types of games, single player for moment.

So far so good,  just one has kept me entertained since July and I have 4 or 5 purchased and ready to go.
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Kane72 said:

Probably not until AAA developers clue into what the kickstarter developers have figured out and promise an MMO that isn't essentially the same game as WoW, GW2, ESo, LotRO, Anarchy Online and Everquest.

Though any of these kickstarters could end up being the next EVE as EVE itself started as an indie game.
    pantaroMikeha
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Anthur said:

Why adapt? He could always pick up posting insane rants about how every moden MMO sucks, and how only a return to old school can save the genre.

Preferably in the most atrocious English ever, for added comedy value, please. ;)
    UkurvMrMelGibson[Deleted User]Kyleran

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Eldurian said:
    Kane72 said:

Probably not until AAA developers clue into what the kickstarter developers have figured out and promise an MMO that isn't essentially the same game as WoW, GW2, ESo, LotRO, Anarchy Online and Everquest.

Though any of these kickstarters could end up being the next EVE as EVE itself started as an indie game.
    this is my thinking also im glad triple A cash grabs stopped chasing WoW money.maybe we can slowly get back to games that are what an mmo is supposed to be about us the players actually interacting with each other in a massive world. as far as im considered i dont ever wanna see another triple A mmo. but yea i know the masses love their triple a themepark mmos 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Mmos tend to last a long time if people enjoy them.  We have had some major mmo releaaes in the last 5 years.  I honestly believe its not that no one wants to make them anymore.  It's just that atm there are a lot of options available.  And developers don't want to bring in a new mmo in a saturated market.  Some of these mmos are still pretty new (ESO, GW2 just for example).  I don't think this is the type of genre that you'll see new mmos every year like Cod or other shooters.  Im betting we'll see a few new ones being made in a couple years.  

So in till then, enjoy what's available and expand your gaming library to other genres.  There are a lot of awesome games available that aren't mmos.  
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Simple solution. Either forget MMO, or extend its definition.

Destiny 2 is coming soon (for the PC, already arrived for consoles) and it looks like fun, no matter what its classification is. 
    MrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Eldurian said:
    Kane72 said:

Except they won't. No large company is going to "take a chance" on something different in this game space.

Especially with how fickle players can be. Large companies play it safe, go where the money seems to be and only take "educated" risks.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:
    Kane72 said:

Except they won't. No large company is going to "take a chance" on something different in this game space.

Especially with how fickle players can be. Large companies play it safe, go where the money seems to be and only take "educated" risks.

What if developers did something truly evil like make players sign contracts like Dish and cell phone companies... Just a thought.
    KyleranMrMelGibson

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited September 2017
    I've been having lots of fun in GW2 lately. Even though it's not revolutionary by any measure, for the first time in a long time, I can't wait to get home and play a game.

It's been all about a change of perspective for me. 10 years ago, I saw games as these huge monoliths. You could completely devote your life to one product and pretty much live your life in a virtual world - real life coming second. Games had fairly stable communities and were unique enough to justify this.

These days, communities shift a lot. Games (especially MMOs) are not incredibly innovative. It took me years to adapt to this. I've been looking for my monolith and had desperately given up each time, game after game. I stopped playing for a year and then came back with a new view. It's not about "Which game can I devote my life to?" but rather "What can this game show me?" I play games based on mood, to have a bit of fun in the evenings, rather than an attempt to build a second life in a virtual place.

I have no illusions that a holy grail is coming. But I think you can have fun here and there, in many of the products on the horizon (and those already released too!).
    Shaigh
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited September 2017
    I don't get why people get excited about stuff on the horizon...   There is only the truth of advertising there, which means you shouldn't get excited about it in the first place.
    Post edited by anemo on

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Anthur said:

Why adapt? He could always pick up posting insane rants about how every moden MMO sucks, and how only a return to old school can save the genre.

Preferably in the most atrocious English ever, for added comedy value, please. ;)
    Who made the insane rants?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited September 2017
    Kane72 said:
    Anthur said:

Well if you're here long enough there will  be an almost weekly poorly written piece by this individual. Hard to miss although I studiously avoid reading them but unfortunately I do falter at times to my chagrin and I instantly regret even opening it. 

Of course you must also accompany this with frequent visits to other game forums to criticize the games others are enjoying and force them to defend the games they are playing. Personally I feel these types of people are not worth the effort but they seem to find joy in crapping over what others like.

Please don't turn into one of them.
    Azaron_Nightblade

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited September 2017
    Kane72 said:
    Anthur said:

It was a joke about another user's habits as @kitarad explained. Nothing aimed at you personally, no worries! :smiley:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Kane72 said:
    Anthur said:

It was a joke about another user's habits as @kitarad explained. Nothing aimed at you personally, no worries! :smiley:
    ;)
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Sovrath said:

Destiny 2 seems to cost a lot, and it is certainly a chance the dev took. Well, at least the first one.