Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes

2»

Comments

• noxaeternusnoxaeternus Member UncommonPosts: 27
    My favorite part of CoH/CoV was the flexibility of going from solo play to group play with friends of any level with the push of a button. There wasn't 20 minutes of respeccing, or worries about who was what level. You just saw someone who needed a hand, or just popped on and shifted gears. It was what all MMOs should strive to do.
    BeezerbeezBlaze_RockerAmatheArglebarglewingoodMrMelGibson

E: 86% S: 53% A: 40% K: 20%

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited September 2017
    Marvel went after ncsoft and or cryptic because you could make a character that looks like the hulk and other marvel characters. the judge overseeing the lawsuit dismissed half of Marvel's complaints, citing that many of the complaints were spawned from characters made in the game that Marvel employees, themselves, had created themselves. The rest of the story was settled out of court with no changes to the game. Cryptic did ask players not to completely copy a character though.

Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    wingood
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    GladDog said:
    There are a total of five CoH successor projects.  VO is the only one playable right now in an alpha state, through Steam if you donate to the project.  It also has a late release date.

As far as release dates go, it is:

City of Titans - Q4 2018 (I have a tough time believing they will make that date, but honestly I really hope they do it)

Ship of Heroes - Q2-Q3 2019 - they are saying June-July, so right in between the two quarters

Valiance Online - Q2 2020 - even though they are the only one with a playable game, they have the most world to fill out

Heroes & Villains - They don't yet have a release date, but I am guessing late 2021 or early 2022, based on their progress.  Even though they may end up last to the show, they will probably be the one closest to CoH as far as gameplay and mission systems.

Redside - Who?  They are a very small project (two guys using the Unity engine) based on CoV, and they don't have a projected release date.  I would be very surprised if they release at all, but if they do I will check the game out.
    I don't believe any of those will be worthwhile projects. They should have put aside their differences and made on project, that might of had a chance. But if they can't do that for Linux what hope is there for games!
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Amathe said:
    "It was solely a decision by NCSoft to close down the game, and they weren't inclined to offer an explanation."
    I believe I can fill in this informational gap. It was because NCSoft sucks

Childish pap is no substitute for genuine information, so no, you can't.
  • LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 648
    If a company fails to defend its trademark and that it's still actively in use, then they weaken their claim in that trademark in future cases and for renewing the trademark.

Marvel filed the lawsuit because, simply, they had to. Even if they planned on dropping the charges and/or settling,from the start, had they done nothing, than anyone after that could have started to use their characters' likeness... until it was a case where it really did mean to infringe upon them.
    MendelBlaze_Rocker