PSA: The $45,000 refund was fake - updated

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy DublinMember EpicPosts: 2,585
    MaxBacon said:
    Should we even expect them to have standards or a criteria for verifying refunds though? They're not media releasing details from some government whistleblower.
    They probably don't care about the veracity of refunds and perhaps it was even a case of claiming it was verified to help it be taken more seriously, than it might have otherwise been, who knows?

The point though, is that the motives or culpability of the mod are completely unknown, he could have easily been duped or he could be playing along with it, I just don't think it's fair to claim anything is definite, atleast not without actual proof.
    Not really because it's not about that, there's no criteria for it, it's just a place where the higher the quantity and amounts of them, the better, so I would mean what I said more on the that not specifically to this verification that was one exception, one that felt under a very deceptive case.

That might be so but it still doesn't mean that the mods creditibilty is questionable beyond a shadow of a doubt. We don't actually know what occurred here, we don't know if he got fooled or how he got fooled, all we can do is hypothesise and that's why I think leaping to conclusions is unwise.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 2,276
    The hilarious part is Derek Smart and his fans, and all the haters of SC were celebrating such a large refund to the game that they hate so much. Wonder how they are feeling now.

My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

The hilarious part is Derek Smart and his fans, and all the haters of SC were celebrating such a large refund to the game that they hate so much. Wonder how they are feeling now.
    Knowing those guys they'll be laughing at drawing that much attention to refunds and the fact that some people are unhappy etc. Beyond that I doubt they even care.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,057

Still feeling vindicated I'm sure because they probably believe that reddit deleted the guys account and that CIG is using smoke and mirrors to lie. Some of the responses in this thread lean that way so facts and reality aren't a determining factor. In the present climate those tend to get ignored or have their validity questioned away.
    Nyctelios
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • KefoKefo London, ONMember EpicPosts: 3,146
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    The quote I was talking about it doesn't very clearly say it was edited. The quote you posted doesn't say that grub never gave a refund for 45k but just that that response looks like it was edited. It's them spinning everything
    "The screenshots do not represent the actual communications which were shared to and from our support department"

Seems clear to me that's what was stated there, especially as their first statement to Ars they already stated a lot of information was fabricated and that the refund given to said account was of 330$, not 45k.
    Except it still skips around actually saying there was no 45k refund, just that that refund was for 330 which the person never denied and said there was a 330 refund in addition to 45k. 

They are trying to wordsmith their way around it. If the 45k refund was a lie why write the screenshots do not represent..... when you can just say we never issued a 45k refund and just be done with it?
    Octagon7711MaxBaconNyctelios
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Figueira da FozMember EpicPosts: 4,597
    Kefo said:
    Except it still skips around actually saying there was no 45k refund, just that that refund was for 330 which the person never denied and said there was a 330 refund in addition to 45k. 

They are trying to wordsmith their way around it. If the 45k refund was a lie why write the screenshots do not represent..... when you can just say we never issued a 45k refund and just be done with it?
    The first statement on Ars states the account in question was refunded for 330, not 45k; then answering the journalist that he edited the 330 refund ticket to make it look like the 45k refund.

And because this is stuff on the media, people are not that aware of fabrication and manipulation of screenshots/videos of websites to that level, it's not a "photoshop'ing it".
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,260
    edited September 15
    The guy made reference to a org which they didn't comment on at all, just the posters account.

Why would he reference a corporate card and using paypal, something that could be easily investigated?
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"Change is the only constant."

edited September 15
    The guy made reference to a corp which they didn't comment on at all, just the posters account.
    Why would they if it was fake? 

All CIG had to follow up was the ticket ID present on the screens and/or timestamps to find the supposed ticket, everything else would be the backstory for the 45k value.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    edited September 15
    MaxBacon said:
    The guy made reference to a corp which they didn't comment on at all, just the posters account.

All CIG had to follow up was the ticket ID present on the screens and/or timestamps to find the supposed ticket, everything else would be the backstory for the 45k value.
    I think it would have been easier to say the org was fake and there was only one guy's account involved then to not comment because they were fake.  

CIG's answer was selective for some reason.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

edited September 15
    I think it would have been easier to say the org was fake and there was only one guy's account involved then to not comment because they were fake.  

Even the org story was all money in his hands, 3 people, 45k, one account.

So this is about the account in question and its refund, not the supposed org.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,057
    MaxBacon said:

Could be but then gamers love to read volumes into every word and sentence and I don't think it's an exaggeration to add, excessively so. Who can read another's motivations? You can only judge people by their actions.
    Octagon7711
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
    Torval said:
    MaxBacon said:

Could be but then gamers love to read volumes into every word and sentence and I don't think it's an exaggeration to add, excessively so. Who can read another's motivations? You can only judge people by their actions.
    That is true on all fronts which is why I hate when people just don't come out and say what they mean. Granted I'm guilty of that too at times but CIG is avoiding directly commenting on the 45k or not and it raises red flags for some
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 2,276
    edited September 15
    Its hilarious all the conspiracy theories in this thread. The haters are grasping at so many straws so they feel vindicated they have to start posting like they are fake news conspiracy nutters. This is one of the most entertaining threads the past week, only beaten by the stupid shit they added (literal shit).
    Post edited by TheScavenger on
    ExcessionFrodoFraginsDakeru

My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

• NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,257
    I feel so proud of myself for not understanding what people get from this tribalistic behavior on the internet. 

What do you get carrying the flag of the bunny god to destroy the heretics of the duck god?

This is not a soccer match. There are no sides.

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
    Kefo said:
    That is true on all fronts which is why I hate when people just don't come out and say what they mean. Granted I'm guilty of that too at times but CIG is avoiding directly commenting on the 45k or not and it raises red flags for some
    The real red flag is that the guy could have proven easily CIG is lying and his 45k refund was real, and he just deleted his account. lol

For someone who went through all that effort to show how his refund was real, for sure drops the ball quickly when the media contacts him, being able to easily prove it legit and that CIG was lying about the refund in the media.

Because the ball lies on him; if he dropped it and ran away then that speaks for itself.
  • hfztthfztt GlostrupMember RarePosts: 1,257
    With both sides cought so many times lying through their teeth threads like this are meaningless. Hates will find holes in the answer and knights will see vindication of their faith.

Its all a matter of faith and not facts at this point.

Meh!
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    The real red flag is that the guy could have proven easily CIG is lying and his 45k refund was real, and he just deleted his account. lol

For someone who went through all that effort to show how his refund was real, for sure drops the ball quickly when the media contacts him, being able to easily prove it legit and that CIG was lying about the refund in the media.

Because the ball lies on him; if he dropped it and ran away then that speaks for itself.
    Have you met the fanatical fan base of SC. The person was probably receiving multiple death threats for pulling any money out of the project and who knows how many other replies telling him what he should go do with himself 
    jimmywolf
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 8,344

>>>> The person was probably receiving multiple death threats for pulling any money out of the project and who knows how many other replies telling him what he should go do >>>>

That is Goon style you are describing...

time honored and proven tradition.

Have fun
    Excessionjimmywolf
    Erillion said:

>>>> The person was probably receiving multiple death threats for pulling any money out of the project and who knows how many other replies telling him what he should go do >>>>

Have fun
    You seriously just tried to dismiss that by saying only goons do that? I suppose I should thank you for the good laugh at least 
    edited September 15
    Here's how you fake it:

https://i.imgur.com/gof91HC.gif

I'm rich! I wish. You'd think a page refresh will reload any edits, but with proper scripts it's impossible to tell the difference. I had to try several times to ensure the script changing the text wasn't visible btw.
    Torval
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Long Island, NYMember RarePosts: 1,090
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Didn't the Goons throw a fit on the SC forums, get banned, and all left......oh ya they did.

So why would they go after the guy who got a refund.........

May be there style but just not in this instance.

That was the SC fans...just like another article they didn't like.

Have fun.
    MaxBacon said:

And this is a great example of how much crap made to look legitimate is fabricated here, now here it is CIG officially reacts and states that the details of that refund were faked. This also tells about the refunds sub credibility when the admins claimed they personally verified the legitimacy of that refund...

You'll be pleased to know that the mod stepped down, the full post about this drama can be read at https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/705vtk/re_the_drama/

Octagon7711Kefo
    Nyctelios said:
    I feel so proud of myself for not understanding what people get from this tribalistic behavior on the internet. 

What do you get carrying the flag of the bunny god to destroy the heretics of the duck god?

This is not a soccer match. There are no sides.
    It's exactly how I make sense of it.  It's the same mentality sports fans have for their favorite teams.  They defend them to the death unless they're really let down then they turn on them for being let down.  But the top fans never relent and always, always have a counter.  They are the cheerleaders of an MMO, and reflect team spirit. 

So yes just like a soccer match and they do take sides, and probably keep score.

You'll be pleased to know that the mod stepped down, the full post about this drama can be read at 
    I saw, but nothing to be pleased about because they won't change anything, even some people who refunded seeing the massive amount of supposed refunds under shell accs and such called out what's going on, they don't care if it is real or not, the more posted the more they celebrate.
    rpmcmurphy
    MaxBacon said:
    You'll be pleased to know that the mod stepped down, the full post about this drama can be read at 
    I saw, but nothing to be pleased about because they won't change anything, even some people who refunded seeing the massive amount of supposed refunds under shell accs and such called out what's going on, they don't care if it is real or not, the more posted the more they celebrate.

LOL, never happy....

I thought it was pretty decent of him to hold his hands up and take responsibilty for the mistake, he certainly didn't have to do that.

MaxBacon