Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - What Class to Play? - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Going to be diving in on a Deadeye this go around. Getting back into the game I couldn't find my groove with my old classes. ( Guardian and Rev ) So back to the thief which sucked me in ... gears ready, need to complete my back piece and I'm complete. I dig power builds so P/P - Rifle ye-haw.
  • majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    edited September 2017
    I leveled a thief to 80 and finished all the story a few weeks ago in anticipation for Deadeye. Gonna be fkn sick!!!!!!!

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I am playing the uninstall class after the last expansion. I was very displeased with it and what they have done to the game. It just turned into another F2P grindfest with no real story that sticks. I got Final fantasy and it is a much better game than this. (+story)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2017
    I don't like the direction GW2 is going either.  I notice myself spending more and more time in ESO.  Just checking out the mounts and new Elites for now.

Going through the story I noticed my character dialogue has changed.  He's a lot darker now.  He's like, well you can help me or become another fly for me to swat.  Are the Devs becoming darker? This would explain why the content is changing like it is.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited September 2017
    I don't like the direction GW2 is going either.  I notice myself spending more and more time in ESO.  Just checking out the mounts and new Elites for now.

Going through the story I noticed my character dialogue has changed.  He's a lot darker now.  He's like, well you can help me or become another fly for me to swat.  Are the Devs becoming darker? This would explain why the content is changing like it is.
    That would be more of a return to form, if anything. Guild Wars 1 was a dark game, broken up by brief bits of humor. I would like the franchise to return to that.
    Aeander said:

That would be more of a return to form, if anything. Guild Wars 1 was a dark game, broken up by brief bits of humor. I would like the franchise to return to that.
    Interesting, I never thought of GW1 as being that dark, maybe I was too busy laughing at the funny parts.  It was a challenge though.
    sumdumguy1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Does anyone find the new elite skills better?  I must admit I'm doing so well with my Druid and Reaper as they are, I haven't even tried the new skills, will probably do so this week.  I really hate thinking about having to give up shroud.  It's saved my bacon many times.  

Collected the five new pets.  Collected the mounts except for Phoenix, don't have the sand portal skill yet for Jackal.  Constant inventory overload with all the different types of drops they've added. 
    sumdumguy1

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Does anyone find the new elite skills better?  I must admit I'm doing so well with my Druid and Reaper as they are, I haven't even tried the new skills, will probably do so this week.  I really hate thinking about having to give up shroud.  It's saved my bacon many times.  

Collected the five new pets.  Collected the mounts except for Phoenix, don't have the sand portal skill yet for Jackal.  Constant inventory overload with all the different types of drops they've added. 
    I was thinking the exact same thing prior to the launch on Thursday.  I will try them but I may not commit to them.  This can be a good thing as well.  In HOT, I was forced to change how I played my mesmer to survive.  I didn't like how I had to play a mesmer and wound up not using my mesmer at all in HOT.  I am hoping in POF you get a choice of how you want to play.

I was thinking the exact same thing prior to the launch on Thursday.  I will try them but I may not commit to them.  This can be a good thing as well.  In HOT, I was forced to change how I played my mesmer to survive.  I didn't like how I had to play a mesmer and wound up not using my mesmer at all in HOT.  I am hoping in POF you get a choice of how you want to play.
    I read a few of the comments on the GW2 forums about Soulbeast being better and they seem pretty evenly divided. Some say it's the best Elite and others equally say it's about the same or not as good as the others.  Since Druid has been doing well I left it alone but will give it ago later this week.  I just did the introduction on my Mesmer yesterday which went ok, but took a little longer. I'll probably try him out later.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    In terms of the Elementalist (I don't play anything else), POF gives you more options. Can't say it would be outright better.

The HOT builds give you amazing damage. The POF ones give you more survivability. Using the new elite skills, I am constantly buffed with regeneration. They also added an overshield mechanic, where using skills heals you for extra health in addition to your health bar. They also let you inflict a larger variety of conditions over a shorter time span (e.g. weakness, bleeding, and fire). This is at the expense of a straight up damage potential you'd have in a HOT build.

I think they did a good job of providing a viable alternative, while not simply making a better version of what we had before.
    Octagon7711
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836

I read a few of the comments on the GW2 forums about Soulbeast being better and they seem pretty evenly divided. Some say it's the best Elite and others equally say it's about the same or not as good as the others.  Since Druid has been doing well I left it alone but will give it ago later this week.  I just did the introduction on my Mesmer yesterday which went ok, but took a little longer. I'll probably try him out later.
    The thing about Druid vs. Soulbeast is that each carries unique, valuable group buffs that cannot be duplicated by any other profession. Each has a strong place. And let's face it - Soulbeast has nowhere near the healing of the Druid for raid scenarios.

Personally, I'm happy with the way the elite specs are balanced. The Berserker is more condi focused while the Spellbreaker is an alternative might stacker with strong anti-boon. The Herald is a valuable boon support while the Renegade is a condi dps with some support. The Dragonhunter is a dps with varied, build-specific niche traits while the Firebrand is a strong condi dps and/or support. The Druid is a powerful healer while the Soulbeast is effectively a strong elite spec for any role. The Daredevil and Deadeye are true opposites - one based on mobility and up-close damage while the other is based on stealth, immobility, and single-target sniping. The Mirage is a condi dps while the Chronomancer is a tank and support. The Reaper is meant to be power dps while the Scourge is a condi dps & support.

I'm just concerned about the Engineer and Elementalist. The Scrapper was such a poor, niche class (in PvE) that it is going to have a hard time finding a role against the comparatively strong Holosmith. And as for Elementalists, even though the Tempest has more of an aura support leaning while the Weaver has more of a melee tank/dps leaning, the Elementalist is such a versatile jack-of-all-trades type of class that designing competitive elite specs for them is going to prove challenging (as niches are hard to build within such a class).
    Octagon7711
    I read an article recently and I must agree with the suggestion made.  They should have templates that players can switch to, like in Rift.  I could see switching to Scourge when with a group and going Reaper when soloing or in tight places.  Same with the other classes.  I've heard good things about Holosmith and noticed Thief has been buffed and has a lot more survivability in general.   
    laxie