Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valnir Rok Ready to Set Sail for EA on September 26th - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageValnir Rok Ready to Set Sail for EA on September 26th - MMORPG.com News

We have received word that Viking-themed Valnir Rok is heading to Steam Early Access starting September 26th. It is shared sandbox survival RPG based in Norse mythology where players fight to survive the harsh environment.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• aeunexcoreaeunexcore Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I haven't really followed this but is it F2P or B2P?
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Nyctelios said:

I got the key and played it for a while... It looks and plays like a 0.1 build fresh compiled from the engine.

It is far not ready for EA. Runs like garbage and it is ugly - besides it has so many basic design problems I just kept scratching my head every ten seconds or so asking "Why?".

I agree with you 100%. Nothing stood out to me about the game and it was confusing as all get out. Not ready for EA by any stretch unless they are just looking to get some $$$ as atm there is nothing about it that stands out above any other survival style game out there.
    ScotchUp
  • silddersildder Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I liked the "explore" crafting system but that will be gone the minute there is a wiki. The game has a punishment system in for PVP to the point where defending yourself is actually a negative thing. Nothing says vikings more than penalties for killing someone.
  • iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    it isnt that bad. I agree that its a little bit wonky at first but most games are. As of right now it has a few positives that makes it different from other games

1. AGRO, unlike most survival games out there you are not kill on site by every living thing. There are factions and cities and every Tom Dick and Harry is not trying to kill you because you drink from the well. steal from the city and it changes.

2. At this point the survival aspect of the game isn't turned up so high that you are starving thirsty every 5 minuets, That is refreshing after playing games like Conan where a full meal last you 2 minuets

3. Granted combat is odd to get used to, but you really have to dodge and duck to be effective

4. I like the discovery feature to learn new items

There are still a thousand little things that are wrong with the game, and they should consider moving from pre-alpha >alpha > beta >early access instead of pre-alpha > EA. As i just dont think there is enough game yet.

ScotchUpvedranc
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I haven't really followed this but is it F2P or B2P?
    It's not an MMO, so no F2P. It's a game you buy in EA like ARK was originally.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Nyctelios said:

sildder said:

I liked the "explore" crafting system but that will be gone the minute there is a wiki. The game has a punishment system in for PVP to the point where defending yourself is actually a negative thing. Nothing says vikings more than penalties for killing someone.

You could start from the most basic thing: Vikings are raiders, not settlers. And this game is about settling and progression.

Thats a misconception. Only a small percentage of Vikings were raiders.

Vikings were also explorers, farmers, craftsmen and traders.
    DavodtheTutt
  • FalconCGNFalconCGN Member CommonPosts: 1
    Hi Nyctelios, I think I know what you are talking about. But please take into account, that a first experimental version of the divine retribution system was introduced and the game is in pre alpha. It was only a test. The system has been changed and I can assure you there are raiders that had a lot of fun. I guess it would help the devlopers if you tell them how they can improve instead.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I just recently got a key and tried it and didn't think it was bad at all for a pre-alpha. It just wasn't anything special, either. There's the guy with the marker over his head with the pre-set missions (well, that's just the tutorial though, right?) and when you die and re-spawn there he is again. Even if you start at a different place.

And "survival" seems to mean "die a lot." For me it was wolves that maybe growled first but seemed to pop out of nowhere (hiding in the underbrush?) and kill me quickly, even when I had a crude knife I had made and a wooden shield I had found. You know, in real life wolves tend to shy away from humans... I found I could out-run them, but I couldn't recover my stuff because, well, it was still where the wolves still were. Real wolves tend to roam a lot.

Lots of things that looked like they might be useful, but were really just fixed scenery. The stuff you could use was pretty obvious, which was helpful but upset the immersion.

Hey, crafting!? No, unless you count the usual filling out of pre-set recipes.

There's another guy with a marker over his head. Learn something new? Sure, but guess how -- that's right, go out and kill something ...

Why do people keep making the same game, with different visual themes?
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    They must be kidding. This mess is far from ready for EA if ever. Honestly, Conan Exiles was like a complete game compared to Valnir.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Nyctelios said:
    Xiaoki said:

Nyctelios said:

sildder said:

You could start from the most basic thing: Vikings are raiders, not settlers. And this game is about settling and progression.

Thats a misconception. Only a small percentage of Vikings were raiders.

Vikings were also explorers, farmers, craftsmen and traders.
    I suggest you read what the term means to begin with.

I dont need to look it up, I know what the term "raider" means.