Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best outer space game?

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Space Quest

[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]Phaserlight

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Space Quest

Awww. How great were all those Quest games. 
    [Deleted User]Phaserlight
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Another great title is Homeworld. They remastered them a couple of years ago so they are totally playable. 

In my humble opinion, best space strategy game ever. 
    Phaserlight
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Starpoint Gemini 2 and / or Starpoint Gemini Warlords. First one has either a story mode (with lots to do between story missions) or a 'sandbox' mode where you can do pretty much whatever you want. Second one is much the same, but with a lot of 4X elements mixed in. You have your own space station which you can upgrade to research new ship designs, weapons, etc., as well as to construct and command fleets of merchant, industrial, and warships. 

Bear in mind though that both have character 'classes' and levels which grant access to special abilities to use in combat, and the focus is on capital ships so combat won't be like the dogfights in a game like Elite: Dangerous. It's much closer to EVE Online in that regard. In fact, I'd say they're pretty close to playing EVE without all the psychopaths running around jerking off to the misery they cause.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Still think Sins Of A Solar Empire is great. 
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]General-Zod

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online is my personal pick. 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• honken_moonhonken_moon Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Endless Space 1 or 2.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    For the next 5 days and 20 hours (as of this post), Distant Worlds is on sale at humblebundle for 19.79...that is an amazing deal

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/distant-worlds-universe
    Scorchien

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2017
    For the next 5 days and 20 hours (as of this post), Distant Worlds is on sale at humblebundle for 19.79...that is an amazing deal

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/distant-worlds-universe
    Yea , that is an amazing amount of game for that price , Great game with endless replay value and still the best 4x made to date
    TheScavenger
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm surprised no one suggested this one yet...

Happy you pointed this out! I played X BTF and Tension but never got around to play the newer ones and this mods looks really good.....now to decide what campaign to start with hmmm...
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Empyrion - Galactic Survival 

Best space steam game IMO

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Empyrion - Galactic Survival 

Best space steam game IMO
    uhhh well it has the multiplayer and feature-set that is nice, it's just very superficial and quite simple in what they implemented.

But there isn't really much better MP space games with its type of gameplay that are better than it so gg
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    OK, thanks!  I only have a keyboard and mouse for input.  I'm afraid flight in E:D might me a little complex for my tastes.  Stellaris sounds like a more relaxing experience.
    Yes Elite Dangerous is very complex to learn, at least for me it was and a flight stick is REQUIRED, but the payoff of learning the controls is rewarded with the most immersive space sim you will ever play, Its pretty amazing, But yeah you will need to put in the time to learn how to fly.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Best x4 space strategy game of all times are Distant Worlds (Universe), and if you are into Star Trek, I suggest you download Picard Era mod.

Best space simulators are in my opinion are Elite Dangerous and X3 Albion Prelude.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Stellaris is stellar and I am one of few that actually likes No Man's Sky
    Stellaris is excellent, specifically the way it moves the entire galaxy into a war for survival against a common, overwhelming enemy, right in the middle of playing your standard sort of "diplomacy/trade/war" trifecta of strategy and civ building games.

• FallahadFallahad Member CommonPosts: 1
    Elite: Dangerous takes it
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Freelancer was so good I would love to see a new version of this game.
    bartoni33
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    thunderC said:
    OK, thanks!  I only have a keyboard and mouse for input.  I'm afraid flight in E:D might me a little complex for my tastes.  Stellaris sounds like a more relaxing experience.
    Yes Elite Dangerous is very complex to learn, at least for me it was and a flight stick is REQUIRED, but the payoff of learning the controls is rewarded with the most immersive space sim you will ever play, Its pretty amazing, But yeah you will need to put in the time to learn how to fly.
    A joystick/flight stick is not in anyway "required".

As a matter of fact there are many that prefer to use mouse and keyboard to control and play ED.

One vid on youtube of one that uses mouse and keyboard.

I also use mouse and keyboard to play, but i also use voice attack as well. Takes a lot of the key pushing out of the game for me, but the keys are still there and work as well.

I have a Thrustmaster hotas setup i have used, but still prefer mouse and keyboard for ED.

So do not let not having a certain setup stop you from playing the game.  Now it IS definitely a game that takes time to learn and get good at no matter your control setup you end up using.

Complex game, yes for sure, and still my pick of the best "outer space" game that it is out right now.

E D and Eve on-line are really the only games that i would call outer space games that are worth a look if you want more of a game that you control a ship.  But i prefer PVE so eve is out for me.

If you like just the space part then one of the others that were mentioned (the 4X games) may be fine. 

JeffSpicoli
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited September 2017
    Sandmanjw said:
    thunderC said:
    A joystick/flight stick is not in anyway "required".

As a matter of fact there are many that prefer to use mouse and keyboard to control and play ED.

One vid on youtube of one that uses mouse and keyboard.

I also use mouse and keyboard to play, but i also use voice attack as well. Takes a lot of the key pushing out of the game for me, but the keys are still there and work as well.

I have a Thrustmaster hotas setup i have used, but still prefer mouse and keyboard for ED.

So do not let not having a certain setup stop you from playing the game.  Now it IS definitely a game that takes time to learn and get good at no matter your control setup you end up using.

Complex game, yes for sure, and still my pick of the best "outer space" game that it is out right now.

E D and Eve on-line are really the only games that i would call outer space games that are worth a look if you want more of a game that you control a ship.  But i prefer PVE so eve is out for me.

If you like just the space part then one of the others that were mentioned (the 4X games) may be fine. 

It is required for many people, I play all my games with KB and mouse but when it comes to driving games and space games I totally suck using a mouse and kb.   I find it so much easier and real and can feel the drive or flight so much better.

If I had to use KB or mouse to play ED or any other type game I would simply not play.

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Asm0deus said:
    It is required for many people, I play all my games with KB and mouse but when it comes to driving games and space games I totally suck using a mouse and kb.   I find it so much easier and real and can feel the drive or flight so much better.

If I had to use KB or mouse to play ED or any other type game I would simply not play.

It is not "required'  

You are saying you prefer that setup. Well others prefer Keyboard and mouse, and others still,  prefer controllers.  

Totally different words that mean totally different things. Required and prefer....

Sorry, but you were putting bad info out there, something that was just not true.  

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Did anyone Mention SPAZ or SPAZ 2 (which is currently on sale)?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Star Citizen which was released in 2025.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited September 2017
    [Deleted User]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.