The 10 Greatest MMORPGs of All Time - 2017 Edition - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,037
    edited September 13
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:
    DMKano said:
    The list is just opinion.

Astute observation and clearly mentioned in the first paragraph! ;)

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

Just like almost everyone else I only read the game titles.

Could have litterally written anything under each game, like a recipe for a turducken under any of those games, majority wouldnt have noticed. 
    You must be a veritable Joy "in real life" (I'll put the big smiley image/>.

I should add that they did say they were staying away from eastern games:

"And it’s also true that we don’t include some of the largest games that are still big today in Asian territories - mainly because the bulk of this site is English speaking and in the EU or NA territories. So we focused more on games that do well here."
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    KyleranTorvalwaynejr2CecropiawingoodSavageHorizon

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk LiverpoolMember RarePosts: 1,476
    I'd swap the top 2 to WoW in second place and EQ in first. There can be no doubt that WoW changed the landscape completely but not all of those changes were for the better, and some of the changes were later dropped or Blizz did a complete 180.

EQ also changed the landscape by putting players in a fully 3D world and the biggest advantage it has over WoW is the release schedule of new content and expansions, in most cases only 9 months apart unlike Blizzard's 2-3 years between expansions.

Looking back now I had a much better experience with EQ which is why I'd put it at No. 1.
    dragonlee66kjempffGilcroix
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Lubbock, TXMember UncommonPosts: 180

SWG was my first MMO and I still haven't found a game that captivated me like it did. SWTOR is alright, but it doesn't compare to the community and freedom Galaxies had.

I keep hoping for a spiritual successor set between Episodes 6 and 7.

SWG and DAoC Were my two favorite MMos in the golden age, I have help out hope for so long for a sucessor, but I have to admit, I probably would have half the expierience I had with those two games in this point in my life. Like Kane 72 said, an mmo as complex as SWG probably wouldnt hold my attention like it used to =(
  • cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 4,854
    I like it when people like Everquest like I'm in the right place,I know validation and all but yeah it has to do with others acknowledging the things you love.
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video Maestro Dallas, TXMember UncommonPosts: 178
    edited September 13
    No Minecraft. No League of Legends. No Half-Life. No Overwatch. Pffft...
    Post edited by TheHiveLeader on
    DMKanoSBFordMadFrenchieobiiAnthurTorvalZombieCatSamhaelKonfessDavodtheTuttand 5 others.
  • RobsolfRobsolf Grand Rapids, MIMember UncommonPosts: 4,427

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

Could have litterally written anything under each game, like a recipe for a turducken under any of those games, majority wouldnt have noticed. 

Wow... who pooped in YOUR corn flakes?
    SBFordKyleranMrMelGibsonCecropiawingoodSavageHorizon
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 1,647
    1-4 makes perfect sense, although I would reorder them a bit.

5-10 You're joking, right?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 1,647
    edited September 13

Robsolf said:

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

He's right, though.

Post edited by postlarval on
    DMKanoKyleranMrMelGibsonwingoodGdemami
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,939
    edited September 13

Robsolf said:

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

He's right, though.

Somehow people have a hard time with facts - like when it comes to "top 10 list" articles, majority only read the list and nothing more.

i honestly didnt read anything else other than game names and have zero interest in reading it at all

Post edited by DMKano on
    Gdemami
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,203
    edited September 13
    Here's my list, based on quality of product, its impact on genre and it fitting the genre:

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Everquest
    3. EvE
    4. Ultima Online
    5. Final Fantasy XI
    6. LoTR:O
    7. City of Heroes
    8. Dark Age of Camelot
    9. Guild Wars(any)
    10. (many) (too many candidates / 1 space)
    Post edited by Gorwe on

DMKano said:

Robsolf said:

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

He's right, though.

Somehow people have a hard time with facts - like when it comes to "top 10 list" articles, majority only read the list and nothing more.

i honestly didnt read anything else other than game names and have zero interest in reading it at all

Is that really true or is that just you and some people you know? I read the entire thing.
    KyleranTorvalMrMelGibsonRobsolf

Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:
    DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

You must be a veritable Joy "in real life" (I'll put the big smiley image/>.

I should add that they did say they were staying away from eastern games:

"And it’s also true that we don’t include some of the largest games that are still big today in Asian territories - mainly because the bulk of this site is English speaking and in the EU or NA territories. So we focused more on games that do well here."

Hey that smiley works for me!

I get it now
    SovrathSamhaelwingood

Gorwe said:

Here's my list, based on quality of product, its impact on genre and it fitting the genre:

1. World of Warcraft

2. Everquest

3. EvE

4. Ultima Online

5. Final Fantasy XI

7. Elder Scrolls Online

8. Dark Age of Camelot

9. Guild Wars(any)

10. Final Fantasy XIV / or SWTOR(if one entry / franchise)

I wouldn't put Lord of the Rings because it doesn't do much different than world of warcraft except with a lord of the rings setting.

And world of Warcraft does it better.

As as I've said, I played Lord of the Rings OVER World of Warcraft.

Now, I'm not talking about "preference" but the idea of "the greatest" mmorpg's.

Azaron_NightbladeGorweLeiloni

Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

Robsolf said:

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

He's right, though.

Is that really true or is that just you and some people you know? I read the entire thing.

oh it is 100% true according to web page analytics. Most users never read full articles.
    postlarvalAzaron_NightbladeKyleranGdemami
  • RobsolfRobsolf Grand Rapids, MIMember UncommonPosts: 4,427

Kane72 said:

Mitara said:

Where are all the games that was launched after 2010?

GW2 and ESO were after 2010 and some others get a mention in the intro, such as BDO, but realistically, there's been nothing earth-shatteringly better than what existed 7+ years ago.

Technology has improved massively over the years, but unfortunately, it's less risky and more profitable to make cash shop mobile games.

I also think that companies recognise that the attention-span of people in general isn't what it used to be because people are into the latest shiny thing and so those who would put hundreds and hundreds of hours into a game as less prevalent than before.

I was surprised when GW2 showed up while LotRO didn't, until I remembered that GW2 sold its massive world and content without a subscription from the start. It raised the bar to the rafters on what a non-sub game can offer. Then along comes TSW, a miniscule world by comparison, demanding a box, a sub, and including a cash shop at launch! Surprise-surprise, it tanked.

It's a tough world for "big" games, right now. Unbelievably risky. WoW's success is finally being seen for what it was: perfect timing for a perfect storm. Like you say, the gamble for making simple mobile games as opposed to dumping years of development into one thing that's very likely to make less money... it's just a no brainer for companies with the resources to do either. And that's VERY unfortunate for those of us that aren't into Pavlov gaming.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,268
    Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

Robsolf said:

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

He's right, though.

I skimmed it myself. I might read it more in depth later on, but likely not as I never cared all that much for most of the MMOs that made the list. CoH being the exception.
    DavodtheTutt

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

DMKano said:

Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

Robsolf said:

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Didnt read.
    Wouldnt read again.

He's right, though.

oh it is 100% true according to web page analytics. Most users never read full articles.

Well, then this is why we can't have nice things ...
    RobsolfKonfessMrMelGibsonwingood

• toetoetoetoe peoria, ILMember UncommonPosts: 5
    Still Hating on EverQuest .... lol been 1 number one and still number 1 ... EQFTW
    mgilbrtsn
  • harrijc3harrijc3 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    So glad to see DOAC on the list as it is my favorite MMO of all time. One of the early implementations of of action bars that had skill chains. Three unique realms and each with their own races/classes with asymmetrical balance. RVR! If you really think about what this small studio achieved on a very modest budget it truly is impressive. Even if you aren't a fan of pvp/RvR you have to give them the nod. Unfortunately, no one really tried to adopt this 3 faction fighting RvR game play until ESO/GW2 and neither really hit the mark in this regard.
    MrMelGibson
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAMember RarePosts: 3,530
    I pretty much agree with the list other than the lack of Lineage 2 on the list. But as it is just opinion, and L2 was my favorite MMO, I can see how it can be left off the list. Other than that, 100% agree with this.
    marcust
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,268
    Sovrath said:

Gorwe said:

1. World of Warcraft

2. Everquest

3. EvE

4. Ultima Online

5. Final Fantasy XI

7. Elder Scrolls Online

8. Dark Age of Camelot

9. Guild Wars(any)

10. Final Fantasy XIV / or SWTOR(if one entry / franchise)

I wouldn't put Lord of the Rings because it doesn't do much different than world of warcraft except with a lord of the rings setting.

And world of Warcraft does it better.

As as I've said, I played Lord of the Rings OVER World of Warcraft.

Now, I'm not talking about "preference" but the idea of "the greatest" mmorpg's.

WoW, EQ, UO, DAoC and GW are the ones on that list that I'd credit with having major impacts. Hence the ones being wildly successful and/or spawning a number of clones in their wake. FFXI was never a major hit. It was way too grindy for that, and didn't bring anything all that unique to the table.

SWTOR probably helped push the "story driven MMO" revolution, far more than ESO did, which came a good deal later. And FFXIV and LotR:O are soundly in the WoW clones category, just with a better emphasis on story (although WoW upped their game there too if I'm not mistaken). It's very much a personal preference list over an objective one IMO.
    sumdumguy1KylerandrivendawnAsch126

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• GreyhavenGreyhaven Los Angeles, CAMember UncommonPosts: 38
    Glad to see that ESO made the list, and overall the list is spot on. I loathe WoW but can't deny it's impact.
  • ForgefeuForgefeu MetzMember UncommonPosts: 107
    Not a bad list tbh ! But my heart suffer a little not seeing Asheron call and Meridian 59. At least Daoc is there but still too low on the list but its a matter of taste ;)
    KyleranViper482Golelorn
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 A galaxy far far awayMember UncommonPosts: 1,139

SWTOR probably helped push the "story driven MMO" revolution, far more than ESO did, which came a good deal later. And FFXIV and LotR:O are soundly in the WoW clones category, just with a better emphasis on story (although WoW upped their game there too if I'm not mistaken). It's very much a personal preference list over an objective one IMO.
    This was right along my thinking as I saw the list as well, especially with the story driven aspect of SWTOR over ESO.
  • calibekcalibek Pittsburgh, PAMember UncommonPosts: 189
    Except Everquest I have played every game on that list at one point, UO being my number 1. If UO hadn't tried to become all Diablo like with their Age of shadows expansion, I might still be playing. Old UO wasn't a game, it was a world. Same with SWG, you just can't find games if these caliber anymore. Ever since WoW's success, all companies want it to put out a theme park and think they will just take in the cash. I miss the excitement and fun of doing stuff in a game because it was enjoyable and not just for "phat lootz". UO was great because I could do ANYTHING with just one character if I put the time in and spend my time in game doing what I WANTED to and not what the developers said was relevant content.

As you can see I have become a disillusioned MMO'er

fangloGolelornmarcust