Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO - PvP server being added

2»

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    d_20 said:
    Yes, fishing in peace. People who gank others while fishing are not really looking for pvp, are they?
    I think they probably just got tired of torturing and killing small animals in real life.  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    So... is this the first step for a PVE only channel? If they'd done a PVE-only one first there'd be a huge outcry. If they do it after this, they can get away with it.
    Maybe. A PvE only channel won't be without its own issues though. Trolls going out of their way to steal your mobs, knowing you can't touch them, being a very big one of them. Overpopulation will be another one lol.
    Yeah I've heard that traditional argument many times. I was thinking much more along the lines of fishing in peace lol.

It'd be interesting to see how the population eventually breaks down if there are as many standard, PVP and PVE channels as needed for the population.
    If PVE-only channels are introduced, the population ingame will most likely increase noticeably. Pearl Abyss will make more money, which should make them very happy.

The only question is how many PVP'ers will leave the game in protest ?

Would we see forum posts for the next 20 years complaining about how the PVE channels "ruined the game" ? Echoes of UO...

The real issue with adding PvE only channels - 99% of the current playerbase would migrate there - causing major overcrowding, lag and general player unhappiness.

If PvE channels were something they want to do - the only viable way of doing this is converting most if not all existing channels to PvE channels.

Or change PvP flagging mechanic to where an unflagged player would not be a viable PvP target - aka consentual PvP on all channels outside PvP channels.

But adding a handful of PvE channels would be a complete disaster.

The other downside of PvE channels would be - reduced player spending in the cash shop, because people wouldn't worry about gearing up to TRI+ as PvE content is perfectly doable in PRI/DUO gear. 

This would tank the current sales of Artisian Memory in the cash shop - which is how BDO rakes in the cash - so IMO they would lose a lot of money if they introduced PvE channels - as again players would realize - why bother gearing up past DUO?

Lol. You and others make it sound like the player base is being made to PVP against their will.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    So... is this the first step for a PVE only channel? If they'd done a PVE-only one first there'd be a huge outcry. If they do it after this, they can get away with it.
    Maybe. A PvE only channel won't be without its own issues though. Trolls going out of their way to steal your mobs, knowing you can't touch them, being a very big one of them. Overpopulation will be another one lol.
    Yeah I've heard that traditional argument many times. I was thinking much more along the lines of fishing in peace lol.

It'd be interesting to see how the population eventually breaks down if there are as many standard, PVP and PVE channels as needed for the population.
    If PVE-only channels are introduced, the population ingame will most likely increase noticeably. Pearl Abyss will make more money, which should make them very happy.

Would we see forum posts for the next 20 years complaining about how the PVE channels "ruined the game" ? Echoes of UO...

The real issue with adding PvE only channels - 99% of the current playerbase would migrate there - causing major overcrowding, lag and general player unhappiness.

If PvE channels were something they want to do - the only viable way of doing this is converting most if not all existing channels to PvE channels.

Or change PvP flagging mechanic to where an unflagged player would not be a viable PvP target - aka consentual PvP on all channels outside PvP channels.

The other downside of PvE channels would be - reduced player spending in the cash shop, because people wouldn't worry about gearing up to TRI+ as PvE content is perfectly doable in PRI/DUO gear. 

This would tank the current sales of Artisian Memory in the cash shop - which is how BDO rakes in the cash - so IMO they would lose a lot of money if they introduced PvE channels - as again players would realize - why bother gearing up past DUO?

Lol. You and others make it sound like the player base is being made to PVP against their will.
    To a degree that's exactly what is happening. A good number of players would probably opt out of the PvP if given the option. Or at least PvP on their terms. There's a reason most OWPvP games don't have huge playerbases after all. BDO's probably the most successful game in that genre right now, and a good deal of that success is strongly linked to the very strict karma system, and the harsh penalties you suffer for going red. If they ever nerf the hell out of those penalties, prepare to see the population dwindle rapidly.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

That's undoubtedly true for a certain % of the population.

But there's also no doubt that the need for "better gear" for PVP indirectly drives a significant cash shop income.
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    I am one of those people who never levelled beyond 45 I think the old PvP level was when I played 45 so count me as one of those people that played in this PvP game and avoided it at all costs.
    Excession
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

In BDO, after level 50 currently on any channel you can be killed at will in most 50+ zones, against your will.

So while I agree with you that PvE players should know this and understand the game systems before deciding to go to 50+ in BDO - it is a common complaint.

I certainly don't have a problem with this as to me BDO is a PvP game and this is a part of it, but again to diehard PvE players who want to play in 100% safety after level 50 - they certainly feel forced into PvP against their will.
    I actually liked BDO quite a bit when I played it. But the parts of it that I liked where the solid world building, atmosphere and character classes. I found the PVP there half-assed and little more than brief hissy fits over PVE grind spots.

I'm much more of a large scale PVP guy and in that respect it was sadly lacking. I didn't stick around long enough to see the node wars and other territory control reasons for having larger scale fights. That would have been much more my kind of PVP but I have no idea how well it was implemented or how popular it is because I never saw it in action.

I find casual grind spot PVP as annoying as those pests in other games who follow you around saying "duel me, bro."
    Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

In BDO, after level 50 currently on any channel you can be killed at will in most 50+ zones, against your will.

So while I agree with you that PvE players should know this and understand the game systems before deciding to go to 50+ in BDO - it is a common complaint.

I certainly don't have a problem with this as to me BDO is a PvP game and this is a part of it, but again to diehard PvE players who want to play in 100% safety after level 50 - they certainly feel forced into PvP against their will.
    While it is possible to be attacked, it generally doesn't happen, if you aren't flagged for PVP then whoever attacks you takes a karma hit, quite a large one if they kill you too, and if you are killed yourself while in negative karma status you can lose equipment not just experience which at high levels is time consuming to acquire, so yes, you can be attacked, but the person attacking you will be punished for doing so, and as a deterrence it does seem to be working, i have a number of level 56 toons now, and while i spend a lot of time travelling between calpheon and shakatu and a shed load of places in between, i don't get attacked in the process. Ganking in BDO is really not that prevalent, the PVP is really the node wars and guild v guild war decs, the game doesn't really need PVE servers, and i have to wonder if a PVP server would even be all that popular.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    TheScavenger
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    Phry said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

While it is possible to be attacked, it generally doesn't happen, if you aren't flagged for PVP then whoever attacks you takes a karma hit, quite a large one if they kill you too, and if you are killed yourself while in negative karma status you can lose equipment not just experience which at high levels is time consuming to acquire, so yes, you can be attacked, but the person attacking you will be punished for doing so, and as a deterrence it does seem to be working, i have a number of level 56 toons now, and while i spend a lot of time travelling between calpheon and shakatu and a shed load of places in between, i don't get attacked in the process. Ganking in BDO is really not that prevalent, the PVP is really the node wars and guild v guild war decs, the game doesn't really need PVE servers, and i have to wonder if a PVP server would even be all that popular.

I have a character that's at max negative Karma - this is what I use to kill players in situations where I don't want to take karma hits on my main characters. 

This is not unique anymore - many BDO players have realized that instead of taking karma hits on their "mains" - it makes sense to have an alt where karma hits don't mean anything.

this is why you'll see 100s of AFK players getting ganked - because having a negative karma alt means karma hits are meaningless - so you can feel free to slaughter unsuspecting players at your whim.

But you are right - this is still rare as an average player in BDO sticks to safe areas/cities etc... and most players in BDO are risk averse. So I agree - getting ganked randomly is pretty rare, but if you get on someone shit list - they will kill your over and over again with their neg-karma alt.

I sure have done this - usually after killing someone for 5-6 times, they change the channel, because they realize that I am on perma-red character.
    Or if you piss off enough people, they keep your guild perma dec'd.

Doesn't work against solo players of course, but those are kind of the minority. You give up some pretty nice bonuses by opting out of a guild after all.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/