Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Community Scores Big with $21k Raised for Charity - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFFXIV Community Scores Big with $21k Raised for Charity - Final Fantasy XIV - MMORPG.com

Final Fantasy XIV News - The Final Fantasy XIV community has done an amazing thing for disaster relief in raising $21,000. According to a post on the FFXIV forum, "several FFXIV content creators teamed up to host a 12-hour community event to raise funds for hurricane relief charity and managed to raise over $21,000. Over 300 players participated creating new characters in Siren and even a GM joined in."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Albatroes

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    There aren't a lot of games that have such communities.
    Well done.
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lol Suzie works fast
    SBFord
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    So I clicked on the Link that Susie posted and it lead me to the Square-Enix FF XIV forums. I then clicked on the link in that post and it lead me to a Reddit Page; Which then in turned lead me to the second link in this thread.

In that link there is a channel owner and of course the donation money will be going towards.

Having read the Terms of Service Agreement,
    Tiltify uses around 5% of anything donated as a Service Fee to the site itself. It goes on to further state that all donations are unrestricted gifts when the laws have donation limits.

The question then goes
    "Does an individual receive a direct-receipt after donating amounts in excess of $250?" It is important because that is the law, yet nowhere does it actually make any mention of the four big laws that most people should know about charities.

Hats off to the people who play FF XIV who managed to fundraise.
    However, like stated in a previous post.
    If an individual cares deep enough to donate,

...they will donate directly to the cause and not to the cause through a third party or middle-man, who through legal jargon can legally keep 85% of every dollar donated. Newspapers today showed a list of Charities to avoid and how to make sure your money gets to where it needs to be.
    pantarorensta
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @Shinami While you bring up valid points, I guess I try not to be so cynical -- though perhaps that's naive. I like to think that people, particularly in extraordinary circumstances like these, will do what they say. I personally have donated in a number of ways through Blizzard, for instance, with the Battle Pet, but I also have made donations directly through A+ charities as well.

It never hurts to be vigilant. You're definitely right on that point. This is a good place to start:

https://www.charitywatch.org/home

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    @SBFord

You do hard work to search, verify, edit, and publish news here. I am aware of the difficulty. My post was personal w/ the aim to help others, and I am glad you didn't view it as an attack against yourself. I thank you for also providing a link to help the crowd. 

Whether I agree or disagree with you..
    Whether the world sides with you, or against you. 
    Keep on doing what you are doing, 
    Remain forever Vigil..

...For that is what it means (and is needed) to represent, and retain Freedom of the Press.