Why is Elf-Fantasy the most popular?

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 2,198
    We've never had an MMO where you play a god.

Imagine black and white 1+2, SPORE and many other god games...make that into an MMO! :cold_sweat:

My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,269
    edited September 10
    DMKano said:
    Sorry but dwarves > elves any day

Orcs > dwarves

Ogres > Orcs

Trolls > all
    Basically all the races I couldn't care less about. ;)

Although I always had you pegged as a halfling player tbh xD
    Post edited by Azaron_Nightblade on

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

• Proudsoul11Proudsoul11 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Renoaku said:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/yk5dbxJ558s/maxresdefault.jpg

Star Trek Online / Movie Series there are elves there too?

Yes they are called Vulcans/Romulans
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,205
    Well, Game of Thrones is most likely the most popular fantasy franchise right now, and it does not involves a single elf...
    It's just heroic fantasy that is popular. People happen to enjoy epic stories about heroes, swords, sorcery, princesses and dragons. Has always been.
    Well if you're talking about Tolkien's take on elves as tall, beautiful and human-like, you're right. But GOT does have The Children of the Forrest that are a different kind of small sylvan elf, more in-line with pre-Tolkien folklore.

They were really only prominent during parts of seasons 5 and 6 and like every magical or supernatural thing in GOT, rare, hidden, long forgotten and believed to be fantasy or old wive's tales.

This last season was all about "oh shit, this stuff is for real"
    ConstantineMerusJean-Luc_PicardHatefullJemcrystal
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • linadragonlinadragon Emmaus, PAMember UncommonPosts: 444
    I assume you meant to say High Fantasy and not elf-fantasy, but beside the point is that it is what is "popular" because of the gorilla in the room. Then you also run into the whole thing that there aren't many games in other types of fantasy in the mmorpg market that are actually well done enough to be "popular"
    Allerleirauh
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,081
    Wizardry said:

I guess after having think it over a Mystery rpg is possible,you could be role playing a mystery seeker,who travels the world seeking out mysteries to unravel,like ancient heiroglyphics and hidden treasures that again need to be deciphered from ancient mysteries,sort of like Tomb Raider.

Now this I could get behind.
    Gdemami

• linadragonlinadragon Emmaus, PAMember UncommonPosts: 444
    Sovrath said:
    Wizardry said:

I guess after having think it over a Mystery rpg is possible,you could be role playing a mystery seeker,who travels the world seeking out mysteries to unravel,like ancient heiroglyphics and hidden treasures that again need to be deciphered from ancient mysteries,sort of like Tomb Raider.

I'm not sure that would work in the broader sense of an mmorpg though. It might work for an rpgish game, but mmorpg would be odd. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    The issue with a mystery MMO is once the mystery is solved for someone it gets posted up on the wiki and is solved for everyone. A serious mystery MMO (Or MMO which includes a strong mystery feature) would have to have mysteries that are randomized (partially or entirely) in a way that you can't just wiki the answer.

That sounds very difficult to pull off well.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,610
    Iselin said:
    Well, Game of Thrones is most likely the most popular fantasy franchise right now, and it does not involves a single elf...
    It's just heroic fantasy that is popular. People happen to enjoy epic stories about heroes, swords, sorcery, princesses and dragons. Has always been.
    Well if you're talking about Tolkien's take on elves as tall, beautiful and human-like, you're right. But GOT does have The Children of the Forrest that are a different kind of small sylvan elf, more in-line with pre-Tolkien folklore.

They were really only prominent during parts of seasons 5 and 6 and like every magical or supernatural thing in GOT, rare, hidden, long forgotten and believed to be fantasy or old wive's tales.

Well, if you stretch it (a lot), they COULD assimilated to some "kind" of elves... but they definitely aren't remotely close to a "Tolkien" elf, or it would be one which has mated with a hobbit maybe? ;)

Actually, the Valerian civilization was closer to an "elf" civilization than the children's.
    Gdemami
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    Well he's comparing it to pre-Tolkien lore but I would argue even pre-Tolkien elves were said to be beautiful. I'd say they are most comparable to contemporary dryads.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus LondonMember RarePosts: 1,283
    Iselin said:

Well, if you stretch it (a lot), they COULD assimilated to some "kind" of elves... but they definitely aren't remotely close to a "Tolkien" elf, or it would be one which has mated with a hobbit maybe? ;)

Actually, the Valerian civilization was closer to an "elf" civilization than the children's.
    Well if you wanna get super technical, it all came from The King of Elfland's Daughter first. To be honest I think this book is lethally underrated. If you are a fantasy fan, this is a must read. 
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,244
    It is an interesting question to be sure. And would surely take a lot of introspection on one's part. But let's first get the looks out of the way. How can you say no to these:

(Feanor)

(Elwe)

(Alith Anar -> Wrong hair color tho)

(Finubar)

And, obligatory:

Though I must admit that I became quite a Dwarf connoisseur lately:

(Ironbreaker)

(Bardin Gorekkson)

(Dwarf Engineer)

(Thorin)

(Dain II)

Phry said:
    Tolkien most likely.
    And DnD (which is in turn Tolkien inspired).

Oh, let's not forget Warhammer Fantasy then.
    Azaron_NightbladeTorval
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthMember EpicPosts: 4,269
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:
    Tolkien most likely.

The setting with the best Orkz. ;)
    Gorwecameltosis

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Feel free to send me a message if you want a guest pass to try Black Desert Online as well!

edited September 10
    Gorwe said:
    Phry said:
    Tolkien most likely.

The setting with the best Orkz. ;)

The setting with the best < a lot of things >, but unfortunately both underrated and glossed over by its developers(GW). Really, it's almost a crime how it's been mishandled. But then again, there's Conan too. Also a huge opportunity almost completely mishandled.

edit: Damn, those pictures are awesome. I'd "AWESOME" myself if I could! ;)
    (such a fan of that picture of Thorin's <3)
    Post edited by Gorwe on
  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIMember RarePosts: 1,674
    Because there is a beauty and
    lahnmir said:
    Xasapis said:
    Immortality and eternal beauty and youth are popular ... I wonder why ... :blush:
    Twilight man, Twilight.  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I remember when Vampires used to suck blood, not ****.
    lahnmir
    4ft Gaming Mouse Pad - www.mouserpad.com
  • HatefullHatefull Member RarePosts: 1,473
    DMKano said:

Orcs > dwarves

Ogres > Orcs

Trolls > all
    Dwarves > All else! 

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• HatefullHatefull Member RarePosts: 1,473
    Sovrath said:
    Wizardry said:

Eldurian said:
    The issue with a mystery MMO is once the mystery is solved for someone it gets posted up on the wiki and is solved for everyone. A serious mystery MMO (Or MMO which includes a strong mystery feature) would have to have mysteries that are randomized (partially or entirely) in a way that you can't just wiki the answer.

That sounds very difficult to pull off well.
    The secret world does this, and it is pretty cool. Sadly, there are a million Wiki's on how to do everything and of course region wide chat where people spout spoilers constantly because we live in the age of trolls.

Anyway, TSW is a really cool idea, and I think they did a good job on the stories.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,610
    Hatefull said:
    DMKano said:

Orcs > dwarves

Ogres > Orcs

Trolls > all
    Dwarves > All else! 
    Anything remotely looking like a Viking > everything else, including dwarves and elves ;)
    TorvalHatefull
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix GSMember UncommonPosts: 1,442
    Elf ?  i vote for D dragon master race .
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 132
    "elf fantasy" if that means tolkien etc is just better.  In MMOs, Steampunk sucks(always), sci-fi sucks most of the time, and straight up medieval without magic elves etc is just bland.
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 925
    edited September 10
    We doing favourite races now? Hell yeah, Ratonga baby, screw the rest!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by lahnmir on
    Torval
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,205
    lahnmir said:
    We doing favourite races now? Hell yeah, Ratonga baby, screw the rest!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hey I know that guy. He's a famous chef isn't he?
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomeMember UncommonPosts: 3,842
    So people going for the pretty, immortal and wise elves. How surprising. And boring. Tolkien style elves are utterly boring. WoW male elves are funny (to laugh at) though for being this weird mix of a Tolkien elf and Hulk Hogan.

I prefer Terry Pratchett's elves. Not that I would want to be one though.