Shared Worlds - A better and more fitting term for modern MMOs

2»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,680
    lahnmir said:
    Just to spare the feelings of the hardcore MMORPG afficiendos I can live with the term. I like to have cake AND eat it.

Referring to Hack n slash games is nonsense, you mean third person action games I think.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

How about:  "game".
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,991
    A lot of people don't care what you call it as long as they can have fun.  Marketing does a lot of labeling to sell more games.  Call it whatever you want.
    waynejr2

"Change is the only constant."

• anemoanemo Member UncommonPosts: 1,225
    when you said shared world I thought you would be calling a game like EVE/UO that shared world.   Since you're literally sharing the world with anyone around you, complete with the conveniences and inconveniences.

Where as games that quickly shard themselves off and put people in their own little instances could almost be saying "There now you don't need to share with as many people".   Sharing is all about these little compromises, and tossing players into those instances is all about not needing to compromise (not sharing spawns, not needing to at some point be a member of the "support cast", and similar).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAMember EpicPosts: 4,026
    yea right , So you are locked off from the rest of the world with your few friends and you want to call it a Shared World ..........."Not Shared World" would be more fitting
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,758
    Shared World is a coined phrase much like MMO. It's an online multiplayer game with persistence but the multiplayer isn't massive. It isn't necessarily restrictive though. It could be configured that way in theory. A game could be made to offer single player, friends only, or public modes. SWL would be an example of public mode shared world RPG.

It can be a lot like an MMO but it avoids that whole pesky dramatic confrontation about whether the game is "worthy" of the title.
    Azaron_Nightblade
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,395
    lol .. good luck to get this site, and other sites, and reviewers to start using "shared world" instead of MMOs.

When you are successful in doing that, let me know, and I will change my usage too. 
    Gdemami