Remember Pixelimage (John Smedley indie studio) Hero's Song pixel art game that got shuttered?

DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,945
edited September 5 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Well from the makers of Warframe... there's a new pixelart game that seems like it could be a worthy substitute.

Check it out - Survived by

https://www.survivedby.com/

Yes there are differences - but for someone who was really looking forward to Hero's Song - this seems like it will do the trick.
Post edited by DMKano on
pantaro

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,693
    Looks like Realm of the Mad God, especially with the permadeath model.
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,945
    Forgrimm said:
    Looks like Realm of the Mad God, especially with the permadeath model.
    Well Hero's Song also had permadeath (although it was a very different mechanic)- but yes this is a lot closer to RotMG  (which is an awesome game as well)

Still - for pixelart fans - looks like a game to keep your eye on for sure

• LasterbaLasterba Winter Park, FLMember UncommonPosts: 107
    DMKano said:
    Well from the makers of Warframe... there's a new pixelart game that seems like it could be a worthy substitute.

Yes there are differences - but for someone who was really looking forward to Hero's Song - this seems like it will do the trick.
    You shit on 99% of games that come out...and you're looking forward to this?
    RexKushmanbcbullyThebeastttSedrynTyros
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus LondonMember RarePosts: 1,255
    Lasterba said:
    DMKano said:

To be fair, I don't recall him shitting on any game. Unless you consider "not my cup of tea but I can see others might enjoy it, great for them" as shitting. 
    MrMelGibson
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 865
    edited September 5
    Lasterba said:
    DMKano said:

Pay more attention.  DMKano loves Trove.  He has a taste for retro graphics, so it should have been no surprise he'd be interested in this.
    Post edited by Tiamat64 on
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,220
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but does every player look like a green cloaked ranger?
    DMKano

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member RarePosts: 1,764
    Dunno, looks pretty arcade...
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member RarePosts: 1,042
    I hope they add it to Steam so I can play it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 924
    I read Hero's Song in the title and got all excited and opened it asap. Then I saw this game and wasn't that excited anymore. Nevertheless, I'll keep my eye on it, I might get surprised.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    pantaro
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Grah, ALMember RarePosts: 1,055
    Looks like Diablo for poor people.
    BruceYeeConstantineMeruscoretex666SedrynTyros
  • CazrielCazriel San Francisco, CAMember UncommonPosts: 228
    Looks much better than Hero's Song ever did.   Looks somewhat like Chronicon.

No reason why Smed couldn't have sold the assets he had developed to these guys, but even if that's true, they've clearly jumped light years ahead of where HS was when it shuttered for good.
    How, exactly, did a game as simple as Hero's Song die that early in development?  Was there simply no player interest in it?
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 924
    How, exactly, did a game as simple as Hero's Song die that early in development?  Was there simply no player interest in it?
    There was a fair bit of interest but I think the way it looked turned a lot of people off. Also, besides its graphics it was anything but simple.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

It couldn't have been that complex.  Weren't they looking to go from concept to full release in one year?
  • LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebMember RarePosts: 5,651
    Well. Not at all.

HeroSong was basically EverquestNext done with simple graphic to make production faster.

"Survived by" is just a simple bullet hell, roguelite. For comparison Realm of Mad God ( the game that is very similar ) , was so simple, it was actually developed for "use Oryx sprites" competition at TigSource, in few days.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,945
    Well. Not at all.

HeroSong was basically EverquestNext done with simple graphic to make production faster.

"Survived by" is just a simple bullet hell, roguelite. For comparison Realm of Mad God ( the game that is very similar ) , was so simple, it was actually developed for "use Oryx sprites" competition at TigSource, in few days.

I agree that this is a lot closer to RotMG, but Hero's Song was not EQNext with pixelart graphics.

Storybricks + voxel world were the core features of EQN, and Heros Song didnt have either.

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebMember RarePosts: 5,651
    DMKano said:
    Well. Not at all.

I agree that this is a lot closer to RotMG, but Hero's Song was not EQNext with pixelart graphics.

Storybricks + voxel world were the core features of EQN, and Heros Song didnt have either.

Quite a contrary. Hero Song had storybricks. In fact it was one of its main features.
    If you remember story bricks company was closed and main people moved to work directly on EQN. These same people than continued to work on HS. I even talked to them in one of the AMA, and they said the storybricks element is even more complex in HS.

As for voxel world - well obviously

• ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,693
    Some more info was posted about the game: http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/11/pax-west-2017-life-and-death-in-digital-extremes-new-mmo-survived-by/ Here's an excerpt:

“When you are playing the game as a character, you’ll have challenges that you complete. The challenges are like achievements except for a single character. Once you die, the game will go back through the challenges that you completed — some will reward you Ancestral Legacy cards and some will reward you valor points. The valor point are used to increase the level of these cards. You can level the cards once you die, and he next time you make a new character, you can apply these cards to that character. That character starts off more powerful.”