Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Destiny 2 an MMO:Poll

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    https://www.reddit.com/r/destiny2/search?q=mmo&include_over_18=on&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance

https://www.reddit.com/r/destiny2/comments/6c9jy3/is_this_game_an_mmo_or_what/

"

[–]Mamojamamo 1 point 4 months ago 

Short Answer: Yes

However, it is not an MMORPG. It is classified as an "MMO Shooter" because it is in fact massively multiplayer and online. There weren't really "side quests" in Destiny 1, but at the same time there kind of were. Honestly, it's somewhat of a mix, but a delicate mix because there's no other game out here like Destiny, and they really have to pull it all together nicely for it to be gamebreaking, even though I will be buying every DLC already :)

"

So it isn't an MMORPG, but an MMO shooter. Still an MMO.

Excession

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Excession

http://massivelyop.com/tag/destiny-2/

Destiny 2...

Studio: Bungie
    Launch Date: September 6, 2017
    Genre: MMO sci-fi shooter

and

http://www.mmorpg.com/destiny-2

MMOFPS | Setting:Sci-Fi
    Excession

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    https://www.reddit.com/r/destiny2/search?q=mmo&include_over_18=on&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance

https://www.reddit.com/r/destiny2/comments/6c9jy3/is_this_game_an_mmo_or_what/

"

[–]Mamojamamo 1 point 4 months ago 

Short Answer: Yes

However, it is not an MMORPG. It is classified as an "MMO Shooter" because it is in fact massively multiplayer and online. There weren't really "side quests" in Destiny 1, but at the same time there kind of were. Honestly, it's somewhat of a mix, but a delicate mix because there's no other game out here like Destiny, and they really have to pull it all together nicely for it to be gamebreaking, even though I will be buying every DLC already :)

"

So it isn't an MMORPG, but an MMO shooter. Still an MMO.

It just gets worse and worse. A random on reddit doesn't decide anything and it doesn't mean there is a majority opinion that destiny in an MMO. Like has been stated earlier, not even Bungie calls it an MMO.

But really, just keep calling it an MMO. I don't think anyone REALLY cares that you do. But don't expect people to accept your arguments, because they are terrible.
    ExcessionGdemamiMrMelGibson
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    @TheScavenger

Please read your own sources: https://www.reddit.com/r/destiny2/comments/6grr4a/is_destiny_a_mmo/

If you scroll through the comments the majority of people either give an outright "No" or an "I'm not sure."

For the very same topic your yes answer came from:

"I personally don't consider a game MMO unless you can actually see massive amount of people in the game world at once while able to interact with any of them. But technically, as long as all players are connected through the same service and are given moderate amount of ability to interact with each other, it is a MMO game."

Your evidence is weak, and does not support your conclusion. 

Gdemami
    Eldurian said:
    @TheScavenger

Please read your own sources: https://www.reddit.com/r/destiny2/comments/6grr4a/is_destiny_a_mmo/

If you scroll through the comments the majority of people either give an outright "No" or an "I'm not sure."

For the very same topic your yes answer came from:

"I personally don't consider a game MMO unless you can actually see massive amount of people in the game world at once while able to interact with any of them. But technically, as long as all players are connected through the same service and are given moderate amount of ability to interact with each other, it is a MMO game."

Your evidence is weak, and does not support your conclusion. 

"But technically, as long as all players are connected through the same service and are given moderate amount of ability to interact with each other, it is a MMO game."

Also, I suppose a better definition is Destiny is a shared world MMO. A game like WoW or SWG or EQ1 are open world MMOs. Where as, games like Vindictus and Dungeons and Dragons Online and now Destiny are shared world MMOs. You see very few people in the hub area of DDO since its all instanced off, about the same amount of people as Destiny 2.
    Excession

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Eldurian said:
    Haven't played Vindictus but mislabeled games are mislabeled. Calling your game an MMO doesn't make it so.

DDO is open world in the towns as I recall. If you are running through a town you can encounter anyone else in the same town. So it at least has a leg to stand on in the debate it is an MMO. Destiny does not.
    Calling a game NOT an MMO, does not make it so either.

Sorry, but if Steam and multiple sites call something an MMO (even Massively and MMORPG.com), and vast majority of people call it an MMO, then its an MMO. Argument over. Anyone against it is going against the wave of change, and not able to handle it because they want "oldschool" MMOs that are quickly dying out. The people here on MMORPG.com are in the vast minority of oldschool MMOers, and most people already moved on to other genres or new types of MMOs.
    Using that strawman again eh...

I like how people are trying to derail the thread because the topic makes them scared that MMORPGs are changing and have changed. The posters here are using a strategy of derailment to get the topic closed. They are afraid that the classic MMOs are gone, and will go back to complaining about new MMOs and how good the old days were (and will have no issue making 100 threads about it and thousands of posts about wanting old MMOs back and how new MMOs suck and how old WoW was better)

Another strawman. No one is talking about classic MMO's being gone, or about the "good old days". We're talking about using the proper categorization for things. Just going to copy and paste the same thing I said to your buddy when he used the same strawman.

This is what's known as a Straw man. You're countering an argument that was never made in the first place. People here aren't saying anything bad about new games like Destiny 2. And they're not saying anything about people wanting a classic mmo experience. We're simply saying that we know how to properly classify things. Yes, it's a fact that classic style MMORPG's have waned in popularity and co-op multiplayer style games have vastly increased in popularity. That doesn't somehow magically make those newer, more popular games MMO's.

When bands started playing a heavier, darker version of rock and roll, people called it heavy metal, because it was significantly different than the music before it. If people just lumped all bands with guitars and drums into the "rock and roll" category, then we'd be putting the Rolling Stones and Slayer together, when in reality they're very different styles.

ExcessionMrMelGibson
    Also since two very big MMORPG sites (mmorpg.com and massively) call it an MMO, that is what it is. You can't argue that one away, that is the cold hard fact whether anyone likes it or not.

Though like I said above, a better term probably be a shared world MMO, but its still an MMO like DDO and vindictus.
    Excession

edited September 2017
    It's obvious that you have made up your mind that you are right. Anyone with a basic understanding of Google and a single ounce of critical thinking skills though can easily verify for themselves that your statement of "The vast majority of people outside of mmorpg.com call it that." is flat out wrong, and requires serious cherrypicking of results to reach that premise. Thus why you picked a vote halfway down the page of one of the less used topics on that subject instead of say:

"You can see other people in 'social areas' and in open world areas, but other parts of it are instanced.

It still doesn't quite feel like an MMO though."

Which is the top result in another topic with 4 times as many points as any result in the topic you picked.

You sir, are wrong, and until you can admit that, you aren't worth anyone's time debating.
    Gdemami
    Eldurian said:
    It's obvious that you have made up your mind that you are right. Anyone with a basic understanding of Google and a single ounce of critical thinking skills though can easily verify for themselves that your statement of "The vast majority of people outside of mmorpg.com call it that." is flat out wrong, and requires serious cherrypicking of results to reach that premise.

You sir, are wrong, and until you can admit that, you aren't worth anyone's time debating.
    You still haven't been able to counter the fact that massively and mmorpg.com (two huge mmorpg websites) call destiny 2 an MMO. Not a singleplayer game. Not a multiplayer game. Not a co-op game, but an MMO (one calls it an MMO shooter, the other an MMOFPS)

I'll take that as I won, so thanks for that. Was fun :)
    Excession

Another funny fact is the the very poll on this site shows 17% in favor of it being an MMO and 83% against. Nice majority bro.
    Gdemami
    Another funny fact is the the very poll on this site shows 17% in favor of it being an MMO and 83% against. Nice majority bro.
    I'll quote my post above...

"You still haven't been able to counter the fact that massively and mmorpg.com (two huge mmorpg websites) call destiny 2 an MMO. Not a singleplayer game. Not a multiplayer game. Not a co-op game, but an MMO (one calls it an MMO shooter, the other an MMOFPS)

I'll take that as I won, so thanks for that. Was fun "

Excession

"You still haven't been able to counter the fact that massively and mmorpg.com (two huge mmorpg websites) call destiny 2 an MMO. Not a singleplayer game. Not a multiplayer game. Not a co-op game, but an MMO (one calls it an MMO shooter, the other an MMOFPS)

I know you'll take it as a win. Unfortunately for you, no one else will. That point is so laughable as to not even deserve a response. YOU WIN BUDDY.
    EldurianGdemami
    edited September 2017
    Eldurian said:
    It's obvious that you have made up your mind that you are right. Anyone with a basic understanding of Google and a single ounce of critical thinking skills though can easily verify for themselves that your statement of "The vast majority of people outside of mmorpg.com call it that." is flat out wrong, and requires serious cherrypicking of results to reach that premise.

You still haven't been able to counter the fact that massively and mmorpg.com (two huge mmorpg websites) call destiny 2 an MMO. Not a singleplayer game. Not a multiplayer game. Not a co-op game, but an MMO (one calls it an MMO shooter, the other an MMOFPS)

I've countered it many, many, many times across all of these topic.

MMORPGs are a dying genre because everyone has been trying to copy the same general model for over a decade instead of bringing any real innovation to the genre.

Sites like this are desperate and have deliberately attempted to corrupt the term in order to suit their agenda of getting more site hits so they don't go under.

But as you can see in the results you gave. The group that matters most, the players, have overwhelmingly said "No. MMORPG means it has to be massive." Across the entire internet. Not just mmorpg.com
    Gdemami

I know you'll take it as a win. Unfortunately for you, no one else will. That point is so laughable as to not even deserve a response. YOU WIN BUDDY.
    still can't counter it. Defeats your whole argument when two major gaming sites label it as an MMO. 

Also as far as MMORPG.com voting against it, is because the vast majority of members here are oldschool gamers looking for the old sandbox and classic MMOs to come out. A lot of people here don't like new MMOs.
    Excession

still can't counter it. Defeats your whole argument when two major gaming sites label it as an MMO. 

Also as far as MMORPG.com voting against it, is because the vast majority of members here are oldschool gamers looking for the old sandbox and classic MMOs to come out. A lot of people here don't like new MMOs.
    I already said you won, what more do you want?!
    Eldurian said:

Yet the game's own developer doesn't call it an mmo. And the game's wiki entry states 
    "Destiny 2 is an online-only multiplayer first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie and published by Activision."
    This is the most accurate description I've seen

Similar to its predecessor, Destiny 2 is a first-person shooter game that incorporates role-playing and massively multiplayer online game (MMO) elements.

ExcessionGdemamiMrMelGibson

Personally I think that SMITE is better game than Everquest or really any MMO I've played older than EVE. But I don't call SMITE an MMO. Why? Because I speak proper English and I'm not an idiot.

5vs5 will never be massive no matter if this site is desperate enough to list an as an MMO or not.
    ForgrimmNildenGdemami
    edited September 2017
    It's just so amazing that he is still trying to use a majority argument in a thread where 214 people have voted, 83% against his idea. He tries to fall back to everyone being "old?" He actually has no clue about the demographic makeup in the poll.

And after that, he falls back to 2 sites that represent MMORPGs that have destiny listed as an MMOFPS. He ignores that the company that funded and built the game, Bungie, doesn't call it an MMO. He ignores the absolutely incredible amount of sites that don't call it an MMO (IGN, Gamespot, and every other site except a few he cherry picked.)

It is astonishing that he is even attempting an argument based on majority consensus when he is in an incredible minority. 
    Gdemami
    edited September 2017
    And I think the big question everyone gets to asking themselves when you start listing SMITE, DOTA, LoL, Diablo 3, and Destiny as MMOs (And yes, all of those games can be found on the MMORPG list here) what exactly is a MORPG/MOG (Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games / Multiplayer Online Games), and what is the point of the term MMORPG/MMO if there is no such thing as MORPG/MOGs? 
    Gdemami
    Sorry, it's still not a MMO.  I don't care if 50 sites label it that way, they're all wrong.  It's a multi-player action RPG.
    what is "massive"

On WoW, an average server size is around 2000 people that is online. That is NOT massive. Though googling, one of the servers peaked at 8k players at the release of WoD. But is that actually massive? Not really.

EVE Online has ONE server with 20k+ players on it...I'd definitely say that is massive for an MMO.

But is it really?

My city alone has 100s of thousands of people living here. My state alone has multiple millions. That IS massive. Now compare my state to an MMO...now that MMO seems very very small.

So I think we need to decide what "massive" is. Because I don't find an MMO with a couple thousand players per server massive. But even EVE isn't that massive to me, when I can go to the local mall and there'll easily be 1000+ people there on a crowded day and that is just one mall.

Excession

Sorry, it's still not a MMO.  I don't care if 50 sites label it that way, they're all wrong.  It's a multi-player action RPG.
    what is "massive"

On WoW, an average server size is around 2000 people that is online. That is NOT massive. Though googling, one of the servers peaked at 8k players at the release of WoD. But is that actually massive? Not really.

EVE Online has ONE server with 20k+ players on it...I'd definitely say that is massive for an MMO.

But is it really?

My city alone has 100s of thousands of people living here. My state alone has multiple millions. That IS massive. Now compare my state to an MMO...now that MMO seems very very small.

So I think we need to decide what "massive" is. Because I don't find an MMO with a couple thousand players per server massive. But even EVE isn't that massive to me, when I can go to the local mall and there'll easily be 1000+ people there on a crowded day and that is just one mall.

Umm. You just blew yourself up. If you don't accept 2000 as massive, then why would you accept 20 as massive?
    EldurianMrMelGibson
    what is "massive"

But is it really?

When you've reached the point where you're trying to compare the population of a state to the population of a single server in an mmo, that's when you know you've hit rock bottom.
    CecropiaMrMelGibson
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Forgrimm said:
    Snip
    Yet the game's own developer doesn't call it an mmo. And the game's wiki entry states 
    "Destiny 2 is an online-only multiplayer first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie and published by Activision."
    This is the most accurate description I've seen

Similar to its predecessor, Destiny 2 is a first-person shooter game that incorporates role-playing and massively multiplayer online game (MMO) elements.

ZoS didn't call ESO an mmo; does that mean ESO is not an mmo? 

Most publishers avoid pigeon holing their games and call them "a unique experience". Doing so helps to protect against things like:

your game calls itself an e.g. mmo;
    an e.g. mmo should have feature X;
    your game doesn't have feature X;
    I want my money back / your game sucks because it doesn't have X.

That's in addition to the fact that mmos may have  a poor sales reputation - possibly because the term to some implies "game needs a subscription". 
    klash2defGdemami
    what is "massive"

But is it really?

also to add. MMOs in the past were really massive compared to multiplayer games. In Asheron's Call, just having 100s of players around you was a lot. Today, you can find FPS games with servers that size.

Minecraft has servers that are larger than many MMO populations, and that isn't regarded as an MMO

Many games have such huge server sizes now (there is an Ark server that has a 2100 player capacity with multiple lands added to the map to make it bigger.) Does that make Ark an MMO then? Or does size have nothing to do with it
    Excession