Is Destiny 2 an MMO:Poll

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,786
    Torval said:
    Heretique said:
    It's a hub/co-op game. Not a MMO.
    However you need to frame so you can sleep at night. Are you going to play it? If someone calls it one thing and not another will that affect your decision?
    Oh c'mon Torval, your argument is a red herring.  Just because folks aren't going to go out and riot because Trump is President, it doesn't mean everyone agrees he was the best pick or even qualifies for the position.
    I'm saying it doesn't matter what it's called. Sometimes it's relevant when describing a game, sometimes not. It's not relevant to me. Is it relevant to you whether someone calls it an mmo?
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAMember EpicPosts: 4,031
    edited September 3
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/destiny2

Destiny 2 is an action shooter that takes you on an epic journey across the solar system.

GENRE

Action Shooter

But is it an MMO-Action-Shooter? 

Hmmmmmm.....
    ATVI and Bungie do not think so or describe it as one ...

If that helps

Because their marketing department told them that MMO label would turn more people off and they'd lose money.

If labeling it MMO would lead to more sales - they would have MMO in 48 point font, slapped about 3 times on every web page mentioning Destiny2.

Here:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/why-activision-and-bungie-arent-calling-destiny-an-mmo.html/?a=viewall

yes it's from 2014 and it's about Destiny1 - so obviously Destiny2 is going to stick to the same formula.

They don't want to be associated with MMOs as it would lose them sales - "hey Bob - check out Destiny" - "what is it an MMO, i don't play MMOs" - nah man it's a shooter. "oh cool, i'll buy that"

No , they dont call it one , because they are smart enough to know its not one , and dont want advertise it as something its not..

"hey Bob check out Destiny this new MMO im playing "

Bob " hey this isnt an MMO , its a hub based coop game . i only play MMOs" "im not buying that"

And trust me ATVI knows exactly what they are advertising and the demographic they are targeting .. And its not the MMO market with this one .They havent targeted the MMO market since we scrapped Titan ..

see how that works
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    MaurgrimExcession
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,003
    Maybe it's a matter of traditional MMO vs Non-traditional MMO.  The term MMO can be broad.  
    TheScavenger

"Change is the only constant."

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,848
    This argument essentially stems from the same camp of thought of people who say "Oh you don't like leveling? Then you must not like MMOs!"

Destiny contains WoW style gear progression and really 90% of the WoW experience. The issue is cloning features from WoW isn't what make a game an MMO. Hosting hundreds or thousands of players in the same world makes a game an MMO.
  • AntiheroDAntiheroD RamstienMember UncommonPosts: 42
    Maybe it's a matter of traditional MMO vs Non-traditional MMO.  The term MMO can be broad.  
    the term is not broad. its cut and dry...
    It still boogles my mind how so many still don't understand what MMO means or what it is.. 
    its pretty simple.
    MMO: 
    Multi: More then one. grouped or solo in a single shard.
    massive: hundreds or thousands in a single shard. (lobbies do not count. your character or avatar is not there in a lobby.)
    Online:  your character or avatar in the game environment over a live connection to the shard.

just because you can possible meet them all doesn't make it a MMO, multiplayer sure. but not a MMO. 
    League of legends, destiny, dota2.. they are not a mmo. you cant have more then a handful of people in a single are on a shard.
    WoW, Eve, lineage 2, EQ, those are MMO's. you can have hundreds of people in a single area on a single shard, logged in to game. 
    yes i know the whole dungeon thing is confusing but that's only part of the game. as their are areas that you can have hundred or more people moving to a single goal able to see and communicate with one another.

questions?
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/467916/is-destiny-2-an-mmo-poll#3sev4rEGljHaJX0s.99
    Maurgrim
  • pantaropantaro Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Eldurian said:
    This argument essentially stems from the same camp of thought of people who say "Oh you don't like leveling? Then you must not like MMOs!"

Destiny contains WoW style gear progression and really 90% of the WoW experience. The issue is cloning features from WoW isn't what make a game an MMO. Hosting hundreds or thousands of players in the same world makes a game an MMO.
    it's funny what you said was my first impression of destiny 1 like o gee it's all the worst parts of a themepark mmo. which is great for some not so much for others,who needs the themepark mmo when you can play destiny or games designed like it and just get right to what you do in a themepark anyway,at least for those who enjoy them.
  • KrynKryn Wahiawa, HIMember UncommonPosts: 169
    The problem is MMO has been hijacked.  This forum is all the proof you need.  In the old traditional sense when the term was created.  Nope, its not an MMO.  Today when even multiplayer Super Mario is called an MMO.  Yes, it is.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid GinnungagapMember EpicPosts: 8,739
    edited September 3
    Destiny is an "mmo" in the same way Warframe, GW1, Vindictus, C9, etc etc are mmos. They are all lobby based multiplayer games. The massively part of the name in these games is on the server capacity, not on a persistent world like WoW, EQ etc. So yeah, it is technically still a non persistent mmo.

My two cents.

EDIT: Massively doesn´t imply persistent, its just that... massively. Whether its server side(total capacity) or on a persistent(non instanced) world is irrelevant.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on
    madazzklash2defMaurgrimTorvalMrMelGibsonExcession

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 5,029
    It's an MO 
    CecropiaExcession

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Nashville, TNMember EpicPosts: 2,801
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Heretique said:
    It's a hub/co-op game. Not a MMO.
    However you need to frame so you can sleep at night. Are you going to play it? If someone calls it one thing and not another will that affect your decision?
    Oh c'mon Torval, your argument is a red herring.  Just because folks aren't going to go out and riot because Trump is President, it doesn't mean everyone agrees he was the best pick or even qualifies for the position.
    I'm saying it doesn't matter what it's called. Sometimes it's relevant when describing a game, sometimes not. It's not relevant to me. Is it relevant to you whether someone calls it an mmo?
    If we're talking about viewing the market, then of course.  Including games that aren't really part of the genre skews our view of the industry itself.

It's akin to including pop rock in with indie and attempting to assert that indie rock is becoming mainstream because of it.

I have no qualms with the niche that is MMORPG.  It was a niche when I found the genre, and I never really considered it as a mainstream gaming genre after I found it.  It's the unique exprience that it brings that is attractive to me; not how closely it can imitate modern action RPGs.

Beyond that, if we're going to start including random games all willy nilly, there's not even a reason to use the term MMO anymore. Just call it all multiplayer and be done with it.
    ConstantineMerus

• HatefullHatefull Member RarePosts: 1,473
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/destiny2

Destiny 2 is an action shooter that takes you on an epic journey across the solar system.

GENRE

Action Shooter

But is it an MMO-Action-Shooter? 

Hmmmmmm.....
    ATVI and Bungie do not think so or describe it as one ...

If that helps

Because their marketing department told them that MMO label would turn more people off and they'd lose money.

If labeling it MMO would lead to more sales - they would have MMO in 48 point font, slapped about 3 times on every web page mentioning Destiny2.

Here:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/why-activision-and-bungie-arent-calling-destiny-an-mmo.html/?a=viewall

yes it's from 2014 and it's about Destiny1 - so obviously Destiny2 is going to stick to the same formula.

They don't want to be associated with MMOs as it would lose them sales - "hey Bob - check out Destiny" - "what is it an MMO, i don't play MMOs" - nah man it's a shooter. "oh cool, i'll buy that"

That logic can be applied the other way as well, it's a poor statement to use to support your opinion. Perhaps they just decided to stay true to their roots and make a shooter. It is Bungie, they aren't exactly hurting for cash, they easily could have said; Meh F@#$ the MMO crowd, call it a shooter. Applying your logic here.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 1,506
    Labels are the quick way of describing something. Marketers use labels to evoke a mental image of the game so you know what you can expect. They never cared what was right or wrong, they will call it anything just to sell more games.

If I would make a quick description of Destiny 2 action shooter would make you think of halo or call of duty, if I said parts of the game are co-op you think of teaming up with your friends for missions, if I say it has arena you think of shooting other players.

If I said MMO the majority of people would associate it with World of Warcraft and that's not a good describer of the game. You would also think of a vast open world and that's also incorrect.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • madazzmadazz A town, ONMember UncommonPosts: 1,857
    Destiny is an "mmo" in the same way Warframe, GW1, Vindictus, C9, etc etc are mmos. They are all lobby based multiplayer games. The massively part of the name in these games is on the server capacity, not on a persistent world like WoW, EQ etc. So yeah, it is technically still a non persistent mmo.

My two cents.

EDIT: Massively doesn´t imply persistent, its just that... massively. Whether its server side(total capacity) or on a persistent(non instanced) world is irrelevant.
    Wrong. It says Massively Multiplayer. That means there are a massive amount of people playing TOGETHER. Not in separate worlds/instances or anything else. Its the definition of the words. The words have no other meanings other than what they stand for. Anyone arguing otherwise is just wrong (like you). Even the developers of GW1 have gone out and stated its not an MMO to those of you (like you) that are new to MMO's and don't quite "get it". Its really easy to understand what the three words applied together mean. But some people are just adamant on calling non mmo games mmo's. 

We've already had standard multiplayer games like Counterstrike, Battlefield and more with higher player counts than some of the games you listed. Massively was added before hand for games that had a shit ton playing together. Not a shit ton playing at the same time. That's the best I can do for you. If you still have a problem comprehending the meaning, may whatever deity you believe in have mercy on you.
    Vynt
  • Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,914
    How many players does it support at the same time?

If <32 then 100% no. 32-64 uncertain. >64 is yes.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,703
    Honestly I think the wikipedia entry for the game has the most accurate and reasonable description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_2

Similar to its predecessor, Destiny 2 is a first-person shooter game that incorporates role-playing and massively multiplayer online game (MMO) elements.

IselinMrMelGibsonMadFrenchieExcession
  • AkulasAkulas GoldcoastMember UncommonPosts: 2,092
    What is the definition of MMORPG? Go through the required definition list. Is the world persistent? Can you interact with a large number of players? Are there many concurrent users that you can interact with? 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Players meet up and goof around, have races, raids, solo missions, holiday events, public events, hidden lore, hidden puzzles, random encounters...It feels like an MMO but no one really cares as we were having too much fun. Over the las 20 years my most meaningful gaming experiences have been with between 3-6 people, in whatever game I have played. Destiny was no different and D2 will be  more of the same. 

Increasingly, I've become aware of how much the world has moved on from what I first considered an MMO (SWG and CoH). I miss the old days but they are not coming back. New games offer new way to play with friends and I'm not prepared to pass that up over a definition. Folks should worry less about gatekeeping the genre and be more concerned with having fun. Otherwise whats the point?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,395
    More than 20% of the votes say "yes". Now does this website gets a say too? The gamelist here classifies Destiny 2 as a "MMOFPS".

Cecropia
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,395
    AntiheroD said:

questions?
    Yes. How do you feel when 20+% of those who voted say "yes", and even the gamelist of this site classifies Destiny 1 & 2 as "MMOFPS"?
    AntiheroD said:

questions?
    Yes. How do you feel when 20+% of those who voted say "yes", and even the gamelist of this site classifies Destiny 1 & 2 as "MMOFPS"?
    How do you feel when the Developer Bungie and Publisher ATVI dont classify it as an MMO..

Yes the Dev/Pub of Destiny classify it as a "Single player/Multi player/Coop game "?
    MrMelGibsonExcessionDeVoDeVoVynt
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,205
    AntiheroD said:

questions?
    This might explain it:

1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Survey Says

ScorchienConstantineMerusStoneRosesMrMelGibsonCecropiaMadFrenchieExcessionlaseritNilden
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 817

My two cents.

Yeah lets make up our own definition what a MMO are lol
    So we got a chat hub that 1000 people can connect and chat and group up to form a 5 man group in a instance world zone are the same MMO as EQ, WoW, EVE, GW2, Linage, RIFT and a like?

Iselin said:
    AntiheroD said:

questions?
    This might explain it:

LMAO im gueesin it is the same people :)
    Cecropia
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,703
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    AntiheroD said:

questions?
    This might explain it:

LMAO im gueesin it is the same people :)
    Probably these same people as well https://www.tfes.org/
    ScorchienMrMelGibson
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,160
    Iselin said:
    AntiheroD said:

questions?
    This might explain it:

That's better interpreted as saying that some fraction of Americans doesn't know and/or doesn't care how gravity works on that scale rather than insisting on something that is untrue.  And in their defense, most people don't have any particular reason to know or care about that.

Such polls also get skewed by the overwhelming majority of people contacted being unwilling to answer.  There is also some fraction of people who will basically respond, I think that's a stupid question so I'm going to give you a stupid answer.
    TorvalSovrathMrMelGibson