Fallout 4 PC beta patch today, 2.1 GB

2»

Comments

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Under The BedMember UncommonPosts: 652
    edited August 31
    Buccaneer said:
    in before the "angry youtube crowd" comment gets said again. Or "don't like Jim Sterling" and ignoring the content in the video, or any variation of the above

Now I beat the comments to it

But yeah I saw Jim Sterling wasn't very happy. His main complaint was that its just re-skins, and small mods and things you can get free on Nexus. He even showed that the modded versions actually look BETTER than the paid ones. 

I'd be happy (along with many others) if it was quest mods, new lands and DLC sized quality content. Not this junk.

If DLC quality content appears on the creation club, I'd pay for it.
    I agree fully.  If it was proper DLC I may have been interested but not for half arsed skins.  I also didn't like the micro-transaction method of buying the paid mods. They should let people buy the mods individually instead of using a made up currency. 
    Post edited by Buccaneer on
    TheScavenger
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairMember EpicPosts: 7,801
    My only hope is that they pay very close attention to the mistakes made when they tried paid modding in Skyrim (2011 edition)

The modding community is a pool. You freely contribute, you freely take if it. Most of the really good mods are not single projects but are compilations built upon works by previous modders.

The whole issue around paid modding in Skyrim came about when 2 very prominent modders came to blows.

Fore, created FNIS, Fores New Idles in Skyrim. Just about every mod that uses non vanilla or custom animations uses resources created by Fore. He is also very much against Paid-for modding and will not allow his work to be used in that capacity.......That means no profitable mods can have custom animations.....No one else has made a mod that can replace FNIS yet.

Then there was Chesko. Another prominent modder who made some very well known mods for Skyrim. His mod "Art of the Catch" was at the epicenter of the controversy. He'd used some of Fore's resources in his mod that he charged money for on Steam. He did this with a couple other mods too. He used Apachii hair resources in his Arissa mod.

Needless to say the authors of the these mods went through the roof. Given how embedded and how deep the concept of shared knowledge went. There was almost no way to separate out who's work is who's. Until the original authors come forward and say "Hey, that's mine, you can use that to make money" Steam had no choice but to pull the plug on it.

This brought to light one huge factor in all this. Modding is built on modding. Paid-for mods will subvert this at a foundational level.

Mods will no longer be built off a pool of knowledge open to a community but will become siloed sourses of knowlege to be protected.

I don't see this as a good thing.

TheScavengerBuccaneerbartoni33
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,687

You are fake news as well. The person I quoted said

A person disbelieving someone or some source is "not" fake news.

"Fake News' is just that ... news that is "fake". Not real. Printed to be sensational or to mislead.

So for instance, if what you are posting turns out to be false then "you" would be the very definition of fake news. Of course, if what you have posted is true then it still does not change the fact that people not believing you are "not" fake news.

bartoni33MrMelGibson

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYMember RarePosts: 1,979
    My only hope is that they pay very close attention to the mistakes made when they tried paid modding in Skyrim (2011 edition)

The modding community is a pool. You freely contribute, you freely take if it. Most of the really good mods are not single projects but are compilations built upon works by previous modders.

The whole issue around paid modding in Skyrim came about when 2 very prominent modders came to blows.

Fore, created FNIS, Fores New Idles in Skyrim. Just about every mod that uses non vanilla or custom animations uses resources created by Fore. He is also very much against Paid-for modding and will not allow his work to be used in that capacity.......That means no profitable mods can have custom animations.....No one else has made a mod that can replace FNIS yet.

Then there was Chesko. Another prominent modder who made some very well known mods for Skyrim. His mod "Art of the Catch" was at the epicenter of the controversy. He'd used some of Fore's resources in his mod that he charged money for on Steam. He did this with a couple other mods too. He used Apachii hair resources in his Arissa mod.

Needless to say the authors of the these mods went through the roof. Given how embedded and how deep the concept of shared knowledge went. There was almost no way to separate out who's work is who's. Until the original authors come forward and say "Hey, that's mine, you can use that to make money" Steam had no choice but to pull the plug on it.

This brought to light one huge factor in all this. Modding is built on modding. Paid-for mods will subvert this at a foundational level.

Mods will no longer be built off a pool of knowledge open to a community but will become siloed sourses of knowlege to be protected.

Yeah, that was one of the biggest problems with the steam paid mods was modders pretty much re-uploading the same mod (and removing the free version in many cases) AND using assets from other mods. This does get around that problem, but in the end its still copies of nexus mods from whats in the creation club so far.

Paid mods could very well be good though. Imagine a team of modders making something like Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil. I'd pay a lot of money for that alone. Or something smaller, maybe a hearthfire (Skyrim) or contraptions DLC (Fallout 4) or an automatron sized DLC (Fallout 4)

Modders make very very little donations on Nexus. SkyUI creator said over the years he only earned 30 dollars for his work on SkyUI and that is the most popular and biggest mod for Skyrim.

I do think they should get rewarded for the effort they put in. I however wouldn't pay for reskins. But I'd pay (and did donate) for SkyUI because he deserved it and its an essential mod. 5 dollar donation is very little in the grand scheme of things, but more than he usually gets. 

However, I'm not sure if there'll ever be DLC sized mods. Someone pointed out on Reddit...how would they pay for all the voice actors and a whole mod team? Would they pay the creator of the mod or everyone involved? 

There is also a very small limit on what can be uploaded on creation club (forgot the mod size limit off top of my head, but there is another limit too with how much can be changed). Maybe because of PS4/Xbox they can't allow huge mods to take over...but that would then make the creation club junk.

I'd definitely pay like I said for DLC quality content. Also, Hearthfire was 5 dollars, and some of the paid mods are nearly that price...that power armor is not Hearthfire quality 5 dollars lol

My adult gaming and mods website (various games, adult mods, screenshots, stories and other games I play(ed) 

http://nsfwgaming.wixsite.com/adultgamingandmods

And my Youtube channel (for nature/relaxation/meditation videos)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vendayn

Yeah, that was one of the biggest problems with the steam paid mods was modders pretty much re-uploading the same mod (and removing the free version in many cases) AND using assets from other mods. This does get around that problem, but in the end its still copies of nexus mods from whats in the creation club so far.

Paid mods could very well be good though. Imagine a team of modders making something like Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil. I'd pay a lot of money for that alone. Or something smaller, maybe a hearthfire (Skyrim) or contraptions DLC (Fallout 4) or an automatron sized DLC (Fallout 4)

Modders make very very little donations on Nexus. SkyUI creator said over the years he only earned 30 dollars for his work on SkyUI and that is the most popular and biggest mod for Skyrim.

I do think they should get rewarded for the effort they put in. I however wouldn't pay for reskins. But I'd pay (and did donate) for SkyUI because he deserved it and its an essential mod. 5 dollar donation is very little in the grand scheme of things, but more than he usually gets. 

However, I'm not sure if there'll ever be DLC sized mods. Someone pointed out on Reddit...how would they pay for all the voice actors and a whole mod team? Would they pay the creator of the mod or everyone involved? 

There is also a very small limit on what can be uploaded on creation club (forgot the mod size limit off top of my head, but there is another limit too with how much can be changed). Maybe because of PS4/Xbox they can't allow huge mods to take over...but that would then make the creation club junk.

I'd definitely pay like I said for DLC quality content. Also, Hearthfire was 5 dollars, and some of the paid mods are nearly that price...that power armor is not Hearthfire quality 5 dollars lol
    I am not against authors receiving compensation for their work. If they made it, they have that right.

But what I see now, is that Skyrim (2011) will be the pinnacle of modding and we will probably never see a repeat again.

This is my prediction, and I say this because if there is a community for mods for money, and there is a community for non paid mods, it will be divided and the shared knowledge will be lessened.

As I said, I don't see this as good for modding. And the worst part of this is going to be that the modders themselves will make shit for money. But it is what it is.

As for the gamers......I love to play with modded skyrim. I've tried hundreds and hundreds of different mods. I'll play through, delete all my saves, gather up a whole new theme of mods and play another round that is completely different than the last. Well, I'm certainly not going to drop money on hundreds and hundreds of mods, so for me, those days may also be over.
    bartoni33
    Another thing......Bethesda is infamous for shirking off their responsibility on the modding community. Artmoor's mods are in every play-though I have ever done. His USLEEP mod should not even need to exist. I can see now, we will get broken games, and then have to pay for the mods that make it work right.........Yeah. sign me up.
  • GruntyGrunty TexasMember RarePosts: 8,111
    edited September 19
    Update

Currently the Giddyup Buttercup based horse power armor and the Prey Morgan Yu based armor are free in the Creation Club.  The horse power armor is in a short quest added to the Pipboy.  I haven't seen how the Morgan Yu armor is received/found.

This is a limited time offer.  No telling how long they will be free.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    She was grimacing. "That does sound like what America's has been trying to do for the last century or two--get rich faster than the parasites could steal it."   The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson
  • CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAMember RarePosts: 5,627
    edited September 19
    Done. Although I don't think I will use them. Right now I have an unmodded Fallout on Survival Difficulty with the top 50% of the map cleared.
    Post edited by Cleffy on