3 month post steam launch check - how's BDO steam doing

DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 17,150
edited August 24 in Black Desert Online
So it's been 3 months since Steam launch - so lets take a look at the steam charts.

So the you can see that the game grew rapidly in the first 30 days to 16.5K average concurrent players and then it grew another 19% in the 2nd month.

The 3rd month shows a decline of 24% - so the gains of 2nd month are erased and the game is about 1000 concurrent players below where it started. 

The current trend - continuing concurrent player decline at about 20% per month

Why is this relevant - because Steam players must use steam to play BDO - so it's a decent representation of a "game launch" and concurrent playerbase growth/decline.

BDO is still doing well - there are certainly lots of players in game still, but the game is in natural population decline - which again all games experience as time goes on.

I think that when mystic and Kamasilve launches we should see "upward bumps" in concurrent players, but it will interesting to see if it changes the declining trend to growth.

Post edited by DMKano on
MrMelGibson

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 17,150
    Another data point that correlates last 30 days is this:

Steam now includes "recent" reviews which is last 30 days, in comparison to "overall" which includes all reviews since launch

Recent score is 65%, overall is 71% - so this also shows a declining trend in the last 30 days.

Again - in MMORPGs like BDO where the end game is basically grinding for mats, to do RNG gear upgrades, this is to be expected after 3 months.

Still 65% and 71% is pretty decent.
    MrMelGibson
  • eruexeeruexe Virtual SpaceMember UncommonPosts: 33
    meh still no SEA access.
    Back2Gaming reviewer / PS4-PC-Switch-3DS Gamer.
    Also I never compare console gaming with desktop gaming or vice-versa.
    Twitch Channel
  • RhyaukRhyauk Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited August 24
    I am curious to see how Kakao and PA handle these numbers, I imagine it is the same for EU.  The Russian and Japanese publishers definitely saw the writing on the wall about this game's formula.  EU and NA however may end up like KR where it was B2P then went F2P.  At that point a good portion of players will see it as going Full Korean Business Model (Tropic Thunder anyone?) and you never go full Korean in the western markets.  If they stay true to their current course where they put so much of their resources on releases to new regions and platforms then the 3 to 6 month natural population decline trend will stick for those new accounts and the inertia from that will bring on a mass exodus over the next year or so due to lack of nurturing the current releases and new MMO releases attracting attention IMO.  I do not see any type of longevity in any of KaKao's communications or actions.  I hope they snap to it and turn it around but my instincts tell me they will turn out to be nothing more than another Nexxon and Aria in fancier clothing here in the west.  I don't believe KaKao has the smarticles to go global successfully for any extended period of time.  So how much of a niche playerbase can they maintain?  Probably a decent amount at far less revenue that what they experience from launches.
    Post edited by Rhyauk on
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,099
    Guess the Honey Moon period is over for a lot of people.
  • ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 1,539
    The game is doing better than I was expecting.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,512
    For an eastern MMO, I think it is doing very well here in the west
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Tom272Tom272 Member CommonPosts: 11
    edited August 24
    The game does good, it keeps you entertained for the first 1-2 months depending on how much you play, i played it for 5 months and had to quit, the rng and spending got to me and i did get good gear, but the time commitment needed.. especialy the rng system which frustrates you more and more as time goes by...
    I still think its the best game out there, and if you have the time you can probably be successfull in obtaining the "end game" gear which is basically the only goal in the game.
    Post edited by Tom272 on
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog SMember UncommonPosts: 1,437
    I still wonder, why make posts like this, ah yeah its because the game is good....

if was good this kind of posts was not needed
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.