Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Universe - Checking in with Novaquark’s Ambitious Space Sandbox - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDual Universe - Checking in with Novaquark’s Ambitious Space Sandbox - MMORPG.com

Since its successful Kickstarter, Novaquark has been hard at work on bringing their epic sandbox MMO Dual Universe to life. The single-shard massive universe is a huge undertaking, and we caught up with Jean Christophe-Baillie, Founder of Novaquark to see how far along they are and what’s coming next.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

zimike

Comments

• shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    On my radar now. will follow its progress.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ambitious, but they've got traditional investors buying in from the sound of it, offering some security to the idea that the developer isn't allowing their imaginations to run away with the game.

I'm interested in seeing what the final product will look like.
    OzmodanKyleran

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    DU is quite possibly the most ambitious MMO project ever started.

I remain highly sceptical of the outcome, but I'm intrigued enough to back it anyway ! :D

It will be a very interesting journey...
    Gdemamiysn888pantaro
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2017

Is it? What are qualifiers for any such ladder?

Gdemami said:

Is it? What are qualifiers for any such ladder?

Have a look at their proposed game design and feature list, then you can express your own opinion ! :D
    GdemamiMitara
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Still wondering how and/or if they will stop a guild like goons from blowing everything up...
    Azaron_Nightbladetannim78

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257

I remain highly sceptical of the outcome, but I'm intrigued enough to back it anyway ! :D

More ambitious than Star Citizen? ;)
    Mitarapantaro

More ambitious than Star Citizen? ;)
    Most definitely.

The scope of DU makes SC look like a pre-school themepark imho :wink:
    GdemamiOzmodanMitaralecram64pantaro
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    you would think people would be all over this talking back and forth : 0 and why isnt this on the front page
    pantaro
    Raxeon said:
    you would think people would be all over this talking back and forth : 0 and why isnt this on the front page
    It was... briefly.

It's Gamescom week, no news item will be on the front page for very long.
    Mitara
  • CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    In a way this leaves more freedom to the players than SC because in DU everything is created by the players and can be built by players and Novaquark just provides the sandbox and tech. SC will be more of a themepark and every object is created by the developers there. DU will have a subscription model, SC makes a lot of money pre-selling expensive spaceships. If they'll manage to pull this off, it'll be a serious rival to SC...
    MitaraNextrix

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2017
    Being this is a featured article by our staff, it IS on the front page in the top box AND as the highlighted article of the day in the image scroller. ;) @Raxeon
    MadFrenchieMitarapantaroGruug

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Interesting & ambitious

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

: )
    I expect the visibiltiy of DU to increase quite a bit in the next month or so.

The backer-only Alpha phase is due to start sometime in September.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As typical and not to say anything they mention can't be done or won't be done in a fashion i expect...but i doubt it.

Example the mention of "the chosen ones"well i would expect to see this incoming of transportation ships unloading tons of players.Then i want to see communication with the mother land,likely travel to and from ,a new trade route setup between this colonization and the planet that sent them.

In other words,i don't want to some fake story,i want to SEE IT.

Tools,yes that is a solid step that most games are missing,what becomes of them and their use remains to be seen.
    Voxels..hmm now that could be sketchy in several ways.I don't like the way building is usually done,magically you are laying down tiles or some odd animation for harvesting.In the end ,Voxel gaming usually looks a bit low end to fake but again ,i can wait and see.

I look for a bigger picture,what exactly am i doing as a player entering the game?Am i to wander around exploring and talking to npc's,am i to hunt animals/creatures or do i auto land in some spot beside a npc with a big yellow marker over his head holding my hand?These first few minutes are make it or break it for me,i am not into hand holding nor connect the dots gaming and i expect ideas to make sense and look decent,i expect to feel like the story says,some chosen one sent here to inhabit the land.

Now the sketchy news...
    I have always mistrusted gaming developers,with the new era of KS/CFunding it is very easy to exploit people even if they have their own private investors.OR the whole intent was to secure enough interest to use as bait in getting investors,either way the gamer is being exploited.How would any gamer know if these devs had a secure investor right from day 1 but chose to take advantage of KS'rs and get some free money?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:

As typical and not to say anything they mention can't be done or won't be done in a fashion i expect...but i doubt it.

Example the mention of "the chosen ones"well i would expect to see this incoming of transportation ships unloading tons of players.Then i want to see communication with the mother land,likely travel to and from ,a new trade route setup between this colonization and the planet that sent them.

Tools,yes that is a solid step that most games are missing,what becomes of them and their use remains to be seen.

Voxels..hmm now that could be sketchy in several ways.I don't like the way building is usually done,magically you are laying down tiles or some odd animation for harvesting.In the end ,Voxel gaming usually looks a bit low end to fake but again ,i can wait and see.

I look for a bigger picture,what exactly am i doing as a player entering the game?Am i to wander around exploring and talking to npc's,am i to hunt animals/creatures or do i auto land in some spot beside a npc with a big yellow marker over his head holding my hand?These first few minutes are make it or break it for me,i am not into hand holding nor connect the dots gaming and i expect ideas to make sense and look decent,i expect to feel like the story says,some chosen one sent here to inhabit the land.

Now the sketchy news...

I have always mistrusted gaming developers,with the new era of KS/CFunding it is very easy to exploit people even if they have their own private investors.OR the whole intent was to secure enough interest to use as bait in getting investors,either way the gamer is being exploited.How would any gamer know if these devs had a secure investor right from day 1 but chose to take advantage of KS'rs and get some free money?

there wont really be npc maybe some animals down the road its all player driven they are providing the tools
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    This is what alternatives to games the boring big companies have been pushing out look like.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I've been following this for awhile, since from the start it sounded a lot like the sort of space exploration game I would make if I could. I keep expecting it to swerve aside and take some quick-money-making shortcut, but they seem to keep right on living up to my hopes. Now I just hope I can get involved. Wish they'd hire me. I guess I'll have to settle for scraping up the money to get into the early testing.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    Being this is a featured article by our staff, it IS on the front page in the top box AND as the highlighted article of the day in the image scroller. ;) @Raxeon
    Which you were paid to do this, right? *wink*wink*
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2017
    SBFord said:
    Don't half-ass it! 

Suzie and the gang actually fake all these crowdfunded MMORPGs to create news stories to generate clicks.  Chris Roberts died 7 years ago, Mark Jacobs works at your local TJ Maxx, and all the screenshots and hype videos shared around here are painstakingly hand-crafted by Bill and Tim Eisen for the "news" articles on the site.
    OzmodanConstantineMerus[Deleted User]KilranecameltosisSpottyGekkoStjerneoddDavodtheTuttKumaponCogohiand 1 other.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Looks interesting and they actually have financial backing instead of relying on the hawking of ships and the kitchen sink.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Raxeon said:

What is it really, besides an attempt to build a better EVE?

I'm fine with.it, but most people don't care for open universe PvP games, not fantasy based either.

[Deleted User]Knytta

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Raxeon said:

Wizardry said:

Now the sketchy news...

there wont really be npc maybe some animals down the road its all player driven they are providing the tools
    Wow, that's going to be one damn empty galaxy then. xD
    Maurgrim

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    Don't half-ass it! 

Suzie and the gang actually fake all these crowdfunded MMORPGs to create news stories to generate clicks.  Chris Roberts died 7 years ago, Mark Jacobs works at your local TJ Maxx, and all the screenshots and hype videos shared around here are painstakingly hand-crafted by Bill and Tim Eisen for the "news" articles on the site.
    Ah. That old trick. You pretend you are exposing them but as the matter of fact you are just clouding the real truth. This goes deeper than I thought!! 
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung