Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corsair Scimitar RGB MOBA/MMO Gaming Mouse Review - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I have both the Naga(Old version) and Scimitar, Scimitar with its different textures on buttons and firmness handles well. The Naga is more comfortable because it has plastic room for the pinky at the end, so it hands down wins for me at least in terms of comfort. Overall, functionality wise I'd go with the Scimitar, it's a pain in the ass to changes Macros on it and the software is confusing to work with but overall it's an upgrade on the Naga.

Though my daily use mouse is the Logitech Proteus Core G502.
    Asm0deus
  • CogohiCogohi Member UncommonPosts: 85
    edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    What do you use to program button number 9 for example or how do you program those without software?
    Sounds like the Nagas have a mode that can emulate certain fixed sets of keyboard keys when they haven't been configured by their proprietary software.  So it acts as both a HID Mouse and HID Keyboard.

At one time I considered developing a gaming keypad that added a network interface to do all the programming.  All it needs is a browser.  Come to think of it I might still pursue this so I don't have to deal with the software that makes my g13 work.
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

hirezking said:

Only downfall is not the mouse it self but the software it uses. Crashes have plagued the software and each updates still dont address the issue. Sometimes when I wake computer from sleep mode it doesnt initialize the mouse no matter what usb port I have it in. So i have to plug and unplug the mouse. So for the CUE software it needs a ton of work but the mouse it self is great and I love it over my old Razer.

Strange you're having this issue... in 2 months i haven't had the software crash once under any circumstance... i don't think i'm lucky either i know about 5 people who also bought this and haven't had an issue with USB ports or the software, maybe it's time for a PC upgrade or something :P
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    edited August 2017

bartoni33 said:

Torval said:

Also you don't need the software for the keyboard and mouse to work. You need it to address the button above MB5. That's true for any multibutton mouse with input greater than MB5. It doesn't matter if it's Razer, Logitech, or Steelseries.

There are a lot of "gaming" mice being made that don't have more than 2 extra buttons so they don't have to put any effort into making software that enables full functionality on their mice. It's a cheap way for hardware makers to sell expensive gaming mice that aren't really gaming mice.

According to a few reviews I've seen you have to use the software for any of the thumb keys to work. That was what I found to be silly. I hope they were wrong. My Naga works out of the box without any software. You only need to install it to change the colors on the mouse and for any macros you want to use. I can't comment on how good or bad Razer software is because I have never installed it for either my mouse or my keyboard (Blackwidow Tournament Stealth).

thats incorrect, you just need to rebind in game, because by default they aren't set to 1 - = they are set to like a G key kind of like logitech keyboards... So out of the box yes, if you want to use the number pad you have to rebind the buttons in game.. but if you spend about 4 minutes to rebind the keys in CUE software you're good to go.

there is many features on this mouse that are far better than the Logitech 600 / Razer Naga series, i can't speak for the Roccat Nyth because i haven't owned one.. but i have owned every version of Naga since the original releasing including standards and epics and i still own a Naga 2014, Naga 2016 Chroma and Logitech G600 and i can say after getting used to the scimitar, it's a much better mouse! I do however find it hard to believe you don't have naga software installed, seeing as it's loaded into the mouses memory cache and installs itself automatically when you plug it in, like a driver.
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I have this mouse. It is a nice piece of hardware. CUE is absolutely horrid.
    bartoni33
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited September 2017
    Well I took the jump and got a used one on Ebay for $50. Here is my review:

Pros: Size wise it is a little wider than my Naga so that's a plus for me and my claw grip. I was able to put the thumb keys all the way back and now my thumb rests perfectly on the 1 and 2 keys like I wanted to (on my Naga it was the 7 and 10 keys).

Cons: Many. First you have to install the CUE software to get the keys under the wheel to work as page forward and back unlike all mice I have used before where it does it out of the box. Nitpicking I know. But then it gets really unintuitive. You CANNOT bind the thumb keys ingame! You have to bind them to a key in the CUE then bind that key ingame. For instance using the examples I was giving @Torval earlier on the great intuitiveness of the Naga, for me to bind the 5 ability keys to 4-8 First I have to bind the corresponding thumb keys to numbers 4-8 in the CUE software then bind the 4-8 keys ingame. The Naga lets you bind those keys ingame without having to bind them in any bloatware first. Trying to just bind the keys out of the box with the Scimitar will not work because they do not recognize that I'm pressing a key. Horrible functionality. Why not have the 12 thumb keys be mapped to the 12 top row keys on a keyboard as a default? Then if you want you can remap them in your software. So now it seems that if I want to use the thumb keys for another game I have to either bind the keys to 4-8 in game or create another profile (I'm assuming that is doable) for another game. Useless work. Oh and you HAVE to keep the CUE bloatware running at all times or you lose your bindings. Great.

My conundrum is that I really like the feel of the mouse but I cannot stand the bloatware attached to it. I cannot recommend this mouse if you are like me and don't like to jump through hoops just to play a game. The Naga is superior in out of the box usage.

Oh yeah and to @mbrodie yes once again you do not have to have any software installed to use the Naga out of the box. It obviously installs a driver. But it also has a switch on the bottom that lets you choose between the thumb keys being auto-mapped to either the top keys or the number pad keys. No software needed. It does ask you when you first plug it in if you do want to install the software but you don't need it. It's just for lighting and macros just like the CUE.
    Edit: Now a month in and about once a week it will stop working when I turn on my computer. I have to pull the plug and plug it back in for it to work like others have said. Yes I'm still using it because it feels better than my Naga but I do so reluctantly.
    Post edited by bartoni33 on

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.