Sandbox Done Right - Albion Online Review - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished USA #1, ILMember UncommonPosts: 178
    I'm willing to use your unused code =] @anyone
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,190
    Alomar said:
    I'm bored senseless from these waves of theme park and instanced garbage mmo's, but unfortunately the graphics of this game, the top down camera, and the combat prevent me from having any interest.
    Yep when it just looks like a cheap game from the early 90's,it does a better job of not fooling us into spending any money or wasting our time.

If the developer puts some serious effort into the design,especially visually "3D VIDEO/visual game" yeah go figure,then it garners at least some interest.

Here  si the really funny/odd part,as bad as the game may appear,at least to me it offers more of a game design than say a ARPG or a Moba of which those two genres are not worth 2 cents of my time.
    So i guess if anything there is a massive difference from one developer to another as far as effort and quality of game design goes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 106
    I'm a pure carebear and I'm enjoying my time in Albion. I'm a solo player who enjoys crafting and playing the market. I've no interest in combat or PvP. In fact, I rarely even leave town (except to gather).

So if you're a player that's more interested in the economy than in killing stuff, then Albion scratches that itch left by the death of ArcheAge.
  • daltaniousdaltanious waMember UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Whenever I read "Albion Online bills itself as a sandbox MMO where players can write their own story" I not interested to even read further. This mean game is almost surely PVP oriented which does not appeal at all to me. And they had 10% of expenses coding game compared to PVE quest oriented game.
    mgilbrtsnpostlarval
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn belleville, ILMember RarePosts: 3,068
    Whenever I read "Albion Online bills itself as a sandbox MMO where players can write their own story" I not interested to even read further. This mean game is almost surely PVP oriented which does not appeal at all to me. And they had 10% of expenses coding game compared to PVE quest oriented game.
    As far as PvP goes, you're absolutely correct.  If you're not a pvp person, then you might (might) not like the game.  As far as coding is concerned, I don't know how that sways a decision.  I don't think the objective is to have the most coding.  If it is, I'd venture to say you're correct.  However, I don't base my decisions on the coding complexity, but on the enjoyment of the game.  I don't really care what's under the hood, unless it affects gameplay.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• sschruppsschrupp Cedar Rapids, IAMember UncommonPosts: 460

meataxe said:

How can this game be done right, its pay to win.  There been a number of members in my guild who have dropped over $500 so far.  The guildmaster dropped over $1000 to buy guild shops within one of the main cities on day one.  How can this be 'RIGHT' in any understanding of the word.  There's something very very very wrong when you can drop $500 to over $1000 for a f'ing game, pixels on a screen.  How gaming has changed over the last 20 years..its almost unrecognizable.

I know people that have been playing World of Warcraft for a looooooooong time. Subscription costs paid hit that mark easily, then you figure how much they've spent on expansions, character transfer services, and then on mounts and pets since the cash shop opened... For some people gaming is a very expensive hobby. And they're ok with that.

Welcome to the future of gaming!

Insert random misqoute here

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I'll give it a shot when it hits free to play.