Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RUMOR: Next Expansion Details Leaked - Veil of Shadows - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageRUMOR: Next Expansion Details Leaked - Veil of Shadows - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - From the Halls of Rumor, details of the next World of Warcraft expansion have been leaked. It's a pretty hefty amount of material to dismiss outright, so we'll give you the nitty gritty and you can decide for yourselves.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Pandaren druid would get me to return to the game.
    SBFord

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    so the new race/class combos are nice but its really time for a new class or race all together....
    MrMelGibsonItasca
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited August 2017
    Heroes and Villains.. Vol'Jin? But, he died..

A very suspect inclusion unless he returns as a spirit of some sort.. Very odd..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2017
    Bullshit until proven not.
    Hence why it's clearly labeled "RUMOR".

That said, there's nothing there that I can't imagine being plausible. If it is this, or some of this, I doubt we'll hear anything definitive until Blizzcon. Gamescom is unlikely because of 7.3 not even being launched yet and, even if it comes out beforehand, it's still too new. Same for PAX West. That leaves Blizzcon 2017 for the next expansion reveal.
    TheScavengerConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited August 2017
    Human Shaman. The game ends up having a GW2 problem if they do all world scaling....The whole point of leveling is to feel strong. GW2 kind of suffered very early on cause it felt like levels didn't matter since wherever you went, the levels evened out so you never really felt "strong." Some people kind of having the same issue with One Tameriel in ESO, but then again some people like it. I dont play the game since it doesn't have a real AH. What's kind of funny is that we dont know bad the RNG will be and RNG legendaries honestly killed the game for quiet a few people, but that element wasn't known until the game released. So it'll be funny discovering what player quitting system Blizzard will implement in this expansion. WoD killed the expansion with Garrisons tbh.
    TheDarkrayneNepheth[Deleted User]TheelyFTrunks21
    edited August 2017
    Albatroes said:
    Human Shaman
    I'll match your Human Shaman and raise you a Draenei Warlock! I want an Eredar! :D
    Heroes and Villains.. Vol'Jin? But, he died..

A very suspect inclusion unless he returns as a spirit of some sort.. Very odd..
    Vol'Jin has every possibility to be back. He is the student of Bwonsamdi, the Death Loa, and it could be that he will be brought back by him or that he's there making a deal. Bwonsamdi has the power to not just control the undead but stop death itself, as shown in the book Shadows of the Horde.

Think about it: It's a win-win for both Vol'Jin and Sylvanas. He comes back after making a "deal" with Bwonsamdi for the continuation of the Forsaken. As "payment", Sylvanas steps down as Warchief, a position she didn't really want. All she's wanted to do is find a way for the Forsaken to not die off. 

Vol'jin deserved better than being stabbed by Felguard #1245978.
    laseritMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    As ESO has proven, and even Legion, if you do it right you can make scaling work while not hampering the sense of progression.
    [Deleted User]laseritBruceYeeNephethConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonpantaro

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    edited August 2017

As ESO has proven, and even Legion, if you do it right you can make scaling work while not hampering the sense of progression.

I absolutely love the idea of full scaling. That way all the ( for the most part) useless content can once again serve a purpose, and make any direction you want to go in be viable for progression. Just like in ESO.

This would make me seriously consider coming back to WoW. I wanted to do a full lore playthrough (Doing the quests in every zone, in order, to experience the story as best as possible since Cataclysm wiped out the original world's content). Nothing STOPS me from doing it, but you quickly out-level it, and finding other people to do it with can be harder.

The gear scaling will make or break it, both in terms of loot, and combat effectiveness. Also, if you can do this with all content, doesn't Timewalking take a bit of a back seat, unless content that was removed is brought back in a limited fashion?
    BillMurphy
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Because you like it that makes it proof?
    SBFordTheScavengerwinghaven1NephethMrMelGibson
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Elvoc said:
    so the new race/class combos are nice but its really time for a new class or race all together....
    Why?

They just added Demon Hunter, so why do they need to add another class?

They are still working on updating melee animations, updating caster animation and updating the models and animation for Worgen and Goblin. So, the art and animation team probably has their hands full at the moment.

Or, do you just want them to keep adding new classes and races without regard for the greater impact on the game as a whole just so you can chase that new shiny?
    SBFordNephethMrMelGibson
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    SBFord said:

Vol'jin deserved better than being stabbed by Felguard #1245978.
    But I hear that Felguard #1245978 was awarded high honors by the Legion, retired to a small island paradise world, and opened a very happening night club/greenhouse called "The Garden Gnome".. Live Imp band.. By reservation only (and gods, the lines are around the block)..
    SBFordBruceYeeMrMelGibson

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    One of the details of why it works well in ESO that is usually not written about is that they added those zone-specific armor/jewelry/weapon sets to each zone at the same time. That in turn added a new legitimate reason to play in all zones.

It's the secret sauce that makes full scaling work.
    SBFordlaseritBillMurphyMrMelGibsonMoxom914
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Id come back if they updated caster animations to ACTUALLY use their staves. I hated the fact they were just stat sticks.
    SBFordConstantineMerus
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

1-110 scaling! I hate games that do that! Not a Fan!
    CazrielAlomarwanderica

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Scaling works fine in ESO. Not excited with anything else on the list.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited August 2017

Albatroes said:

Human Shaman.

The game ends up having a GW2 problem if they do all world scaling....The whole point of leveling is to feel strong. GW2 kind of suffered very early on cause it felt like levels didn't matter since wherever you went, the levels evened out so you never really felt "strong." Some people kind of having the same issue with One Tameriel in ESO, but then again some people like it. I dont play the game since it doesn't have a real AH. What's kind of funny is that we dont know bad the RNG will be and RNG legendaries honestly killed the game for quiet a few people, but that element wasn't known until the game released. So it'll be funny discovering what player quitting system Blizzard will implement in this expansion. WoD killed the expansion with Garrisons tbh.

Completely agree with the GW2 comments.

The features and content in the new GW2 expansion are all great.. but then I remember it's all horizontal progression. Sorry, but I need a carrot... some way of getting more powerful to keep you going.

Same with ESO. As soon as I got the best, or almost the best, gear in the game, which was ridiculously easy to obtain, it started to get boring because I had basically finished it. I could keep doing loads more content.. but I could also do loads more content in countless other games too... games I haven't tried yet. There's nothing outstanding about the content or story in either GW2 or ESO so staying for those reasons is stupid.
    Sadfist
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I like the idea of scaling, would love to fight Hogger at 110. Would love to lvl in older zones at 110. It has it s place and personally I think it would help the game be less stagnant after this many years.
    SBFordConstantineMerus
  • titanofdoomtitanofdoom Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Calumny...what an awful expansion name! Lies!
    Perennially extricating the extraneous
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Soki123 said:
    I like the idea of scaling, would love to fight Hogger at 110. Would love to lvl in older zones at 110. It has it s place and personally I think it would help the game be less stagnant after this many years.
    Pre-Cataclysm with non-nerfed dungeons would be my wish.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited August 2017
    I'm actually surprised MMORPG published this highly likey fake...now we are just going to get even more elaborate FAKES after this one gets unwarranted press.
    TheScavenger
    azurrei said:
    I'm actually surprised MMORPG published this highly likey mis-info...now we are just going to get even more elaborate FAKES after this one gets unwarranted press.
    Well two things:

1) It's clearly marked as a rumor.
    2) It's a great discussion starter on what people might like to see in the next expansion.

It's just a fun thing.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]AlbatroesNyghthowlerSovrathMrMelGibsonTim4290pantaro

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I'd rather have Undead Paladins.
    [Deleted User]BruceYeeTokkenConstantineMerusTim4290
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2017
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    One of the details of why it works well in ESO that is usually not written about is that they added those zone-specific armor/jewelry/weapon sets to each zone at the same time. That in turn added a new legitimate reason to play in all zones.

It's the secret sauce that makes full scaling work.
    Zone specific sets aren't a requirement for it to work. All the loot needs to scale as well and all zones need loot drops that matter. That makes all zones relevant.
    Why return to a zone after you've completed all the quest/faction content there unless that zone now additionally has something you may find useful for your build at any level? If they have all the best stuff concentrated in what is currently the highest level zones the population would still go there almost exclusively.

Even in ESO there isn't perfect zone load balancing because people tend to flock to the zones that drop set gear that is currently deemed to be BIS for a particular type of build.

Where the population concentrates at any given time also changes as item sets get balanced and the former BIS gets replaced by some new FOTM. We just saw that happen recently in Rivenspire since the Necropotence set is very good for magicka Wardens. Players flocked there like never before.

And the next update is nerfing that set slightly and buffing other sets because zone relevance is one of the things they consider in balancing now. 

Gear scaling makes zones repeatable but the reason to go to a zone after you reach CP160 and start using that permanent gear is what sets drop there. It's the same for people gearing themselves or those who want to farm it for profit since all of that gear is also bind on equip.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Give me Vykrul priest and ill probably sub again