What's your favourite harvesting system?

2»

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAMember UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Kyleran said:
    EVE has gathering down pretty well, offering several different modes including ore, ice and gas mining, each with subtle variances in equipment, location and risk depending where you mine and in what ship or fleet.

And then the murders began.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,804
    Kyleran said:
    No, you should leave harvesting to people who enjoy it, buying your materials from others as needed if you wish to craft, or buying finished goods from crafters who buy from the harvesters.

Specialization and interdependence is what makes a good virtual economy, leaving killers to go off and do what they love best.
    The word "optional" should be a keyword for mechanics like gathering and crafting, yes.  If you want everyone to craft their own gear you need a so fast and basic system that it wont be fun anyways. It is better to go for a bit more complicated and fun but leave other options like buying it from a market or a player owned store for anyone that rather earn their keep another way.

The full loot option is not really that great in mechanics like that though, it is hard to motivate the crafters to play a game where their part basically is to work and get robbed of what they worked for all the time.
    Kyleran
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,694
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    fully automated with minimal to no player interaction outside of initial setup.
    At that point, why even have it?   Abstract it out of the game....

Because I abhor harvesting in games, standing there chopping a tree or mining a node - yeah that's not for me. I play games for one thing only - combat. That's why the ideal system for me is the one where I can automate it so that I can do what I like - kill stuff.
    No, you should leave harvesting to people who enjoy it, buying your materials from others as needed if you wish to craft, or buying finished goods from crafters who buy from the harvesters.

Specialization and interdependence is what makes a good virtual economy, leaving killers to go off and do what they love best.

Oh I agree 100% that this is best for the overall game, bur that is not what OP asked.

The OP said what is *your* favorite harvesting system.

I answered that as a a non-crafter
    laxie
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,267
    edited August 11
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

Because I abhor harvesting in games, standing there chopping a tree or mining a node - yeah that's not for me. I play games for one thing only - combat. That's why the ideal system for me is the one where I can automate it so that I can do what I like - kill stuff.

Oh I agree 100% that this is best for the overall game, bur that is not what OP asked.

The OP said what is *your* favorite harvesting system.

I answered that as a a non-crafter
    Fair enough. Not much of a crafter either, but I do enjoy gathering. 

Post edited by Kyleran on

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WarWitchWarWitch charlotte, NCMember UncommonPosts: 139
    SWG,,, You had to search the plannets to find a perfect spot, drop harvesters, then craft the gear etc.  The spots changed as well so crafting had adventure and exploring in it as well. Also the malls people made were amazing. Like if you wanted a max dps gun you needed to head towards sarendipty (sp) mall. Crafters would come into the cantina where I danced, Master Dancer and drop 200 mill for some fun, and the almost 4 hour buff then get from watching the dance.          
       You could even bioengineer a killer rancor pet. It was such an amazing game killed by dumbing it down to nge, and sony.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Algo Star SystemMember RarePosts: 1,909
    edited August 11
    Harvesting/gathering/mining should be literal, equip axe chop tree. Equip pick axe hit rock. Equip bag, gather herbs. Equip knife strip carcass. I'm not fond of being stuck in animations while pressing or holding [ F ]

For people dedicated to gathering resources there should be ways to make it more convenient through crafting better items or machines.

For people who hate gathering/harvesting there should be a job board where you can pay people to do it for you and put it in a job locker/chest.
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    Kyleran
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,442
    For people who hate gathering/harvesting there should be a job board where you can pay people to do it for you and put it in a job locker/chest.
    That's why I like the commodities broker in EQ2 and GW2.
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,248
    edited August 11
    I like the way Lotro deals with farming and fishing, but I dislike this old concept of "look a rock-thing spawned in broad open plain field, go get that... mineral".

I think games could use specific locations for specific resources - that with a buy/sell system like local stalls opened by players (like Ragnarok or similar titles) would make the world feel alive: Certain spots or certain towns would be known for their craft in certain specific fields - like a town near a mine. Like imagine a whole dungeon just for mining and gathering, but with puzzles and dangers you must avoid to reach rare materials.

And if you add player built towns or a certain degree of that you'll have a very immersive experience.

As I said in another topic about crafting: Games should approach crafting (and gathering) the way they approach a fighting class and not a button you press as you walk by a certain zone. They should make it a "full class" in a sense if you love crafting or gathering resources they could just play with that and the ones who does not like are not forced to level up a bit to craft that rare gear - they'll easily find someone who loves his/her craft and will be able to do so.

Some people like me really enjoys focus on non-combative activities as much as engaging in an epic boss or PvP (and some like crafting more than that), there is market for a game that gives said experience.
    Post edited by Nyctelios on

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,615
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

So, if you hate it, you shouldn't get input on it.  Right?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"