Familiar Yet Different - The PS4 Version is a 'Must Try' - Marvel Heroes Omega Review - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Demmi77Demmi77 philly, PAMember UncommonPosts: 229
    edited August 10
    I am glad you are enjoying the game but i feel that this review is slightly misleading.

1. You do not get a free choice of heroes after the tutorial. You are limited in selection to the cheaper heroes. So if you want to play say deadpool. you'll need to pay. I do not mind paying for a game i enjoy. i did enjoy this for a bit but i felt like it was nothing more than a cashgrab (my personal opinion).

2. you do earn the currency at a rate of a couple for logging in daily and 1-4 every 8 minutes of gameplay( so if rng blessed you, you could get 30 or so an hour of pure gameplay). With heroes around 400 or so splinters (some more, some less) you are looking at realistically unlocking them over about 3 years. If you spend some cash they're ten bucks a pop at 30ish heroes or so if you want them all. Or you can grind out splinters. YOu can of course get splinters by gambling more on loot boxes to get costumes. These are also time-gated as well and cost around 20 bucks.

3. end game. there is none. You can gear up and beat all content in less than an hour at max level. You can get to max level in an hour with boosts.

each hero you buy (if you want a costume) will cost you around 25$. If you want 4 heroes and a costume for each you just dropped a 100$ for less than a 1/7 of the hero pool. Do the math. There are also boosts required to farm certain things. Almost all of it locked behind gamble boxes. The game is technically free, and you do get a hero free (not any by choice) and if you want to get the hero you want it'll probably take a normal person a couple weeks to get that hero. That's not bad and all of them are quite fun and a couple of playthroughs are definitely worth it.

The game also has incredibly poor optimization, which should be included in this review. In midtown patrol , a popular area to farm, every hero on screen and enemie's abilities are shown. You literally cannot see anything, your abilities lag and you'll skip over the map. There are several other areas that the performance is completely unplayable.

Storage is almost a necessity as is in most free to play games. If you want to play for say a month or so and get the most out of it , realistically you'll need about 40 bucks for storage and 40 bucks for a hero pack and some spare g's. i dropped around 100$ and played for a month. There really isn't much content, itemization is very limited. There are also no visual changes to your character through itemization.

There is also no chat, or social interaction availability. I mean, the game is fun but this is a really high review for a game that ,free to play argument aside, is lacking on several different levels.

Post edited by Demmi77 on
    KhorraxLiljna
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel houston, TXMember RarePosts: 9,220
    Demmi77 said:
    I am glad you are enjoying the game but i feel that this review is slightly misleading.

1. You do not get a free choice of heroes after the tutorial. You are limited in selection to the cheaper heroes. So if you want to play say deadpool. you'll need to pay. I do not mind paying for a game i enjoy. i did enjoy this for a bit but i felt like it was nothing more than a cashgrab (my personal opinion).

2. you do earn the currency at a rate of a couple for logging in daily and 1-4 every 8 minutes of gameplay( so if rng blessed you, you could get 30 or so an hour of pure gameplay). With heroes around 400 or so splinters (some more, some less) you are looking at realistically unlocking them over about 3 years. If you spend some cash they're ten bucks a pop at 30ish heroes or so if you want them all. Or you can grind out splinters. YOu can of course get splinters by gambling more on loot boxes to get costumes. These are also time-gated as well and cost around 20 bucks.

3. end game. there is none. You can gear up and beat all content in less than an hour at max level. You can get to max level in an hour with boosts.

each hero you buy (if you want a costume) will cost you around 25$. If you want 4 heroes and a costume for each you just dropped a 100$ for less than a 1/7 of the hero pool. Do the math. There are also boosts required to farm certain things. Almost all of it locked behind gamble boxes. The game is technically free, and you do get a hero free (not any by choice) and if you want to get the hero you want it'll probably take a normal person a couple weeks to get that hero. That's not bad and all of them are quite fun and a couple of playthroughs are definitely worth it.

The game also has incredibly poor optimization, which should be included in this review. In midtown patrol , a popular area to farm, every hero on screen and enemie's abilities are shown. You literally cannot see anything, your abilities lag and you'll skip over the map. There are several other areas that the performance is completely unplayable.

Storage is almost a necessity as is in most free to play games. If you want to play for say a month or so and get the most out of it , realistically you'll need about 40 bucks for storage and 40 bucks for a hero pack and some spare g's. i dropped around 100$ and played for a month. There really isn't much content, itemization is very limited. There are also no visual changes to your character through itemization.

There is also no chat, or social interaction availability. I mean, the game is fun but this is a really high review for a game that ,free to play argument aside, is lacking on several different levels.

Agree on some of this. 

1) You don't get a choice of any hero you want, but you get a free 200 ES (eternity splinter which is the in game currency to buy characters) hero.  Luckily almost all the 200 ES heroes are strong characters.  Daredevil is free on both PS4 and XB1, so you could potentially start with daredevil and earn the ES to get the character you want.. but I digress.

2) The ES drops at about 1 - 5 every 6 minutes. Not exactly a tremendous rate, but you'll eventually make it there with enough play time.

What's important to note about the marvelous loot boxes is that you do earn some by just leveling up your character. I believe your first character gets you 4 marvelous loot boxes, and then an extra one for every character to 60 thereafter,  each of those boxes will give you essence to buy costumes and other such things.

So potentially you can earn every character and at least several costumes you want without paying anything. 

3) There really isn't any end game.

4) You do really need to buy storage for any ongoing gameplay.

5) Midtown is poorly optimized. Everything else runs pretty well though.

MrMelGibson

• KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLMember RarePosts: 1,433

Torval said:

The thing about most ARPGs is you can set difficulty as easy or hard as you like. If you want to facetank it all you can, but crank it up to Torment/Nightmare/whatever and you're not going to facetank anything. Otherwise we'd all have hardcore characters with flushed out achievs.

You can facetank a lot of open world stuff in this game but you can also always find a challenge if you want.

ARPGs are a perfect fit for consoles. Victor Vran is a dream to play on both mouse/keyboard or controller. It can be done.

Simply ramping up damage and HP values for mobs does not equate to more engaging combat. The system itself is bare-bones and extremely simplistic.

It bores me, but I get why sometimes it can be good mindless fun to just run around and bash shit.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,439

Torval said:

The thing about most ARPGs is you can set difficulty as easy or hard as you like. If you want to facetank it all you can, but crank it up to Torment/Nightmare/whatever and you're not going to facetank anything. Otherwise we'd all have hardcore characters with flushed out achievs.

You can facetank a lot of open world stuff in this game but you can also always find a challenge if you want.

ARPGs are a perfect fit for consoles. Victor Vran is a dream to play on both mouse/keyboard or controller. It can be done.

Simply ramping up damage and HP values for mobs does not equate to more engaging combat. The system itself is bare-bones and extremely simplistic.

It bores me, but I get why sometimes it can be good mindless fun to just run around and bash shit.
    Ramping up the difficulty in Victor Vran or Diablo 3 isn't a matter of just hitpoint increases though. The hexes in Victor Vran allow you to tailor the difficulty and when ramping up the difficulty in D3 the bosses and mobs have more aggressive mechanics and AI.
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLMember RarePosts: 1,433
    Torval said:

Torval said:

Ramping up the difficulty in Victor Vran or Diablo 3 isn't a matter of just hitpoint increases though. The hexes in Victor Vran allow you to tailor the difficulty and when ramping up the difficulty in D3 the bosses and mobs have more aggressive mechanics and AI.

In either case, I was playing D3 on the highest possible difficulty for a brand new player.  You have to unlock the others, and it wasn't impressive.

For Marvel Heroes?  I played for a few hours and got the same impression.
    TorvalMrMelGibson
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel houston, TXMember RarePosts: 9,220
    Torval said:

Torval said:

In either case, I was playing D3 on the highest possible difficulty for a brand new player.  You have to unlock the others, and it wasn't impressive.

For Marvel Heroes?  I played for a few hours and got the same impression.
    Really the only major change from difficulty to difficulty aside from damage and health pools are affixes which, from what I'm to understand, are also big in D3. 

Nothing else changes much,  sometimes mob density.. but overall the difficulty does increase.  New mechanics for harder difficulties isn't common in most games.  It doesnt' change much here but the affixes can add a lot of different mechanics that ... while not making much sense for certain villains (like ice casings for pyro) it does change gameplay a bit.

Really the danger room scenarios have a lot of potential and interesting challenges,  if it wasn't for the fact that they are completely unrewarding. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHMember RarePosts: 3,670

The game was never very popular and when Marvel realized it never would be, they bailed Gazillion out on the condition that people like Brevik and Doomsaw, who meant to keep the game community-based and F2P, get the boot.

Boy, you sure are good at making stuff up. That's not true at all LOL.