Shadow Of War: microtransactions!

Comments

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,305
    Sovrath said:
    will pick up the game but will not give them money
    i did buy the last one, i dont support these practice and feel nothing wrong with how i handle this releases.
    What are you saying? Sound to me like you plan to pirate it. I must be wrong.
    It's not even worth pirating it. Ugh.
    PhrySiug
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 832
    If I'm gonna buy this game I will play it on easy so I dont have to frikkin buy gold to get better gear so atleast I can play without feeling gimped.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 10,938
    Torval said:
    The problem runs deeper 
    ...what problem?
    TorvalCecropia
  • AsheramAsheram Member RarePosts: 2,688
    Micro transactions and ranked multiplayer mode what could go wrong there? 
    PhrySiug

• CecropiaCecropia Member UncommonPosts: 3,967
    Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    The problem runs deeper 
    ...what problem?
    The problem is you and those that support this type of ridiculous nonsense. Just a few fucking brain cells go a long way here. 
    YashaX

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• XodicXodic RealityMember RarePosts: 709
    On the bright side, if this is the new standard for games then I'm going to have some extra cash and a lot more free time.
    SpottyGekkoGobstopper3D
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 968
    I hate micro transactions like this, but really, game prices have been the same since at least 1995. Taking inflation into account current day 60 dollar games should cost about 110 right now, which they don't. So while every thing has gotten more expensive, gaming got relatively cheaper over the years, not the costs to make them, just the games.

So where does the money come from? You can't jack up the prices all of a sudden, so you ad other forms of revenue and give players the choice. Just playing devils advocate here but it ain't that weird, we have been spoiled rotten with gaming prices tbh.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    PhryYashaXMoxom914Gdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

• krulerkruler PerthMember UncommonPosts: 491
    Albatroes said:

Thank you for posting this, I am normally very careful when I do pre-orders, I do some digging etc etc, but the one time I let my guard down, because I loved the first one so much, and blindly pre-ordered when it came up on Steam.

I normally go by the "Fools rush in" method when buying games or anything really, so yeah I have cancelled the pre-order and now feel bloody annoyed that potentially great game has been turned into a whore.

I will put up with allot of bullshit in MMO's and big time free to play games, but not this, a full price mostly single player RPG.........Have WB tacked on a single player game onto a cash shop.

I believe that there should be some backlash to this, yes its been going on for awhile now, but its becoming the norm and the only power we have to influence this sadly is to close our wallets and say "Nope to far".

Sadly I do realise this has as much chance of happening as Elvis doing a live show from the moon.
    YashaX

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows CarcosaMember UncommonPosts: 131
    lahnmir said:
    I hate micro transactions like this, but really, game prices have been the same since at least 1995. Taking inflation into account current day 60 dollar games should cost about 110 right now, which they don't. So while every thing has gotten more expensive, gaming got relatively cheaper over the years, not the costs to make them, just the games.

So where does the money come from? 
    How many copies did an average game sell in 1995? How many does it sell now?
    YashaXGorweGobstopper3DKayo83
  • GinazGinaz Calgary, ABMember RarePosts: 1,985
    laserit said:
    I was really looking forward to this game. It was a day one purchase for me, now... not so much. I might pick it up when its on a Steam sale, I might not. Will just have to wait and see.

This is almost exactly what I posted on their Steam forums word for word and the topic was removed.  They are VERY sensitive about people complaining about micro transactions.
    laserit

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 17,150
    huehuehue

If players were as passionate about real life issues as they are about games.....
    blueturtle13TorvalGorwe
    lahnmir said:

So where does the money come from? 
    How many copies did an average game sell in 1995? How many does it sell now?
    Worldwide gaming revenue since 1995 has quadrupled. So, with the same prices you could say 4X as many games have been sold, just to be safe we could say it was 5X as many.

But that is not interesting because costs have also increased and have done so by a much larger factor. According to Wiki for instance the average cost for a PS1 game was roughly 700.000 dollar but by the time the PS3 hit it was already 10 million. And even if these numbers are pretty off it still is a much larger increase in costs then in sales (14X versus 5X).

So, again, where does the money come from? Games are MUCH more expensive to make but get cheaper and cheaper over time, somewhere the cycle has to be broken.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gdemami

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,574
    DMKano said:
    huehuehue

If players were as passionate about real life issues as they are about games.....
    Why should they be ?

Some people are "Occupy Wall Street" activists, others work for GreenPeace, and some get passionate about their gaming hobby...

Btw, gaming is a "real life issue" too ! :D
    TorvalYashaX
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 7,861
    edited August 12
    I don't care as long as I am not forced to spend to enjoy the game. 

Post edited by Mikeha on
    blueturtle13Sovrath
  • GinazGinaz Calgary, ABMember RarePosts: 1,985
    DMKano said:
    huehuehue

Weak straw man.  Just because you may be incapable of doing two things at once doesn't mean others are.  Maybe you're telling us something about yourself with your statement.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,574
    Microtransactions in single-player games started a decade ago already.

Gamers have become used-to them in online games, so it's perfectly logical that developers will expand their revenue possibilities in SPG's too. Soon the SPG cash shop will be a standard feature.

And with so many AAA SPG's incorporating multiplayer these days, the sky's the limit for selling "extra's" in SPG's...
    Torval
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Whitehouse, TXMember UncommonPosts: 588
    i will not only buy the game but spend money on transactions as well. i work hard for my money and spend a lot on games. gamers now are all butthurt pussies. they dont make you spend money so if you dont want to then dont. i apologize if this comment hurt any snowflakes feelings.
    GdemamiShaighGorweRexKushmanExcession

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Austin, TXMember EpicPosts: 1,987
    As someone who played a hell of a lot of SOM 1, I can't imagine what content would be boring and would need to be bypassed.  If "boring" means slaughtering thousands of orcs, then they've got the wrong guy.  I played for hundreds of hours just to kill orcs.  I wouldn't pay a penny to bypass that content.
    TorvalYashaX
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,057
    Moxom914 said:
    i will not only buy the game but spend money on transactions as well. i work hard for my money and spend a lot on games. gamers now are all butthurt pussies. they dont make you spend money so if you dont want to then dont. i apologize if this comment hurt any snowflakes feelings.
    So if someone is not a fool and doesn't throw their money down the drain they're "pussies". That should motivate the rest of the drooling masses with their third grade mentality. Let me guess, you love cheetos too.
    GorweXodicAsheramKayo83
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 15,057
    H0urg1ass said:
    As someone who played a hell of a lot of SOM 1, I can't imagine what content would be boring and would need to be bypassed.  If "boring" means slaughtering thousands of orcs, then they've got the wrong guy.  I played for hundreds of hours just to kill orcs.  I wouldn't pay a penny to bypass that content.
    While you can buy these things in single player my guess is that this is intended for the multiplayer audience. This is a really popular revenue angle with some single player titles that have multiplayer components - GTA V, Uncharted 4, etc. We'll see how it finally works out on release (or preview) but that's my guess.
    Asheram
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,223
    Gorwe said:
    This game and WB are fking up the lore so much...but at least Shelob is sexy. At the very least, there's meat to drool over. Even if COMPLETELY miscast. And now, the dreaded microtransactions. Honestly, I hope Chris sues their asses for IP damage. I'll take his mossback conservatism over...this(ugh).
    I agree with you there, not sure how they let this stuff pass.

I understand what they are going for, Shelob as some type of nature god or some such thing but this wasn't necessary. I'm still going to buy the game (and not indulge in the microtransactions) as the last one was awesome (except for the horrid ending that pretty much had you do nothing).
    Gorwe

Moxom914 said:
    You sir are a weak willed moron(favorite kind for corporations, mind you). Nobody cares whether you earn 1000$ or 100000$ per month. But if you're not careful, you could spoil it for other people you know? And then, when the shit hits the fan, people like you are the loudest screeching monkeys. "We'll see what happens" -> "NO! Have some common sense and don't invoke doom upon yourself{and us all}?"
    GdemamiMoxom914ExcessionR3d.Gallows
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 10,938
    edited August 12
    Torval said:
    So if someone is not a fool...
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    Torval said:
    Moxom914 said:
    So if someone is not a fool and doesn't throw their money down the drain they're "pussies". That should motivate the rest of the drooling masses with their third grade mentality. Let me guess, you love cheetos too.
    Whoah! Slow down there tiger, what is wrong with Cheetos?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    XodicAsheram

Gdemami said:
    Torval said:
    So if someone is not a fool...
    In other words, spending money on entertainment/hobby makes one fool... 'third grade mentality' you say?
    It's one thing to spend money to purchase it. It's whole another thing to invite the corp.people for the feast. And the feast being...US. "One does not simply do business with money sharks"
    Gdemami