Venezuela money worth less than WoW money

2»

Comments

  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Grah, ALMember RarePosts: 1,064
    Well you can't buy Venezuelan hookers with WoW gold so I'd say this article is BS.
  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 9,033
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Eldurian
  • RaizzeennRaizzeenn Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited August 9
    -
    Post edited by Raizzeenn on
  • laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 5,084
    edited August 9
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Replace "mismanagement" with "corruption"

    Corruption will decay and destroy any system without prejudice.
    Post edited by laserit on

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,291
    laserit said:
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Replace "mismanagement" with "corruption"

    Corruption will decay and destroy any system without prejudice.
    Disagreed. Socialism doesn't have that much with corruption(not any significantly increased amount of it). Mismanagement? You bet! Because socialism is about feelings, opressed people etc. So, who cares if a Minister of Culture doesn't know who Sancho Panza is(just...lol)? All that matters is that he is...colored(excuse the lack of better term). See? It's not because of typical corruptive actions(nepotism, fraud, crime etc) but because of good intentions. And we all know where all the good intentions lead to without any brain usage. ;)
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,870
    edited August 9
    This topic seems like a minefield. 

    I'm not sure mismanagement or corruption are the appropriate terms.

    I'm not sure there is any way to properly manage a command-system based economy. Every successful economy, is a free market system with some level of government regulation. What level works best is pretty debatable but the fact that systems that lean more command than free-market all fail really isn't. Any semi-succesful "socialist" nation definitely leans toward the free market. The most extreme examples of the command system have all ended in mass starvation and horrible human suffering.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONMember EpicPosts: 5,903
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.

    Pretty much so. *cough* Murca. 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,291
    Eldurian said:
    This topic seems like a minefield. 

    I'm not sure mismanagement or corruption are the appropriate terms.

    I'm not sure there is any way to properly manage a command-system based economy. Every successful economy, is a free market system with some level of government regulation. What level works best is pretty debatable but the fact that systems that lean more command than free-market all fail really isn't. Any semi-succesful "socialist" nation definitely leans toward the free market. The most extreme examples of the command system have all ended in mass starvation and horrible human suffering.
    But so have extreme free market notions. Stuff like Pinochet. The real economic system should be a free market one where govt protects its own farmers while promoting free and fair trade. A balanced scenario if you will.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Columbus, OHMember RarePosts: 1,726
    But at least they've almost eliminated income inequality! Nobody has anything, but what's important is that it's equal, right? Right?

    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." -Winston Churchill

    Considering Venezuela is one of the most resource rich nations in the western hemisphere, and was the wealthiest nation in South America until Chavez took over, I'd say Mr. Churchill was spot on. Masses of people hunting stray dogs for food and lining up to eat garbage, on top of being arrested or killed if they dare to speak out against the government which caused the whole fiasco sounds pretty miserable to me. 

    AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!


    We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 


  • laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 5,084
    Gorwe said:
    laserit said:
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Replace "mismanagement" with "corruption"

    Corruption will decay and destroy any system without prejudice.
    Disagreed. Socialism doesn't have that much with corruption(not any significantly increased amount of it). Mismanagement? You bet! Because socialism is about feelings, opressed people etc. So, who cares if a Minister of Culture doesn't know who Sancho Panza is(just...lol)? All that matters is that he is...colored(excuse the lack of better term). See? It's not because of typical corruptive actions(nepotism, fraud, crime etc) but because of good intentions. And we all know where all the good intentions lead to without any brain usage. ;)
    I'm not talking about the corruption of a government. I'm talking about the corruption of a society.

    Are you 100% honest with the taxman?

    Are you 100% honest with your insurance company?

    Do you cheat a little?

    Do you lie a little?

    In my country and society I could probably name hundreds of ways in which its citizens (from the poorest to the richest and everyone in between) lie and cheat the system.

    Every single society, system, civilization hasn't stood the test of time yet. The one that lasted the longest so far was Ancient Egypt at 3500 years.

    The United States of America is what... 240 years old.

    Think it will be around in another 240 years?

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • alkarionlogalkarionlog SMember UncommonPosts: 1,437
    Well you can't buy Venezuelan hookers with WoW gold so I'd say this article is BS.
    if you have food you can buy anything, or toilet paper u.u, that is socialism for you, everyone is equal
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog SMember UncommonPosts: 1,437
    laserit said:
    Gorwe said:
    laserit said:
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Replace "mismanagement" with "corruption"

    Corruption will decay and destroy any system without prejudice.
    Disagreed. Socialism doesn't have that much with corruption(not any significantly increased amount of it). Mismanagement? You bet! Because socialism is about feelings, opressed people etc. So, who cares if a Minister of Culture doesn't know who Sancho Panza is(just...lol)? All that matters is that he is...colored(excuse the lack of better term). See? It's not because of typical corruptive actions(nepotism, fraud, crime etc) but because of good intentions. And we all know where all the good intentions lead to without any brain usage. ;)
    I'm not talking about the corruption of a government. I'm talking about the corruption of a society.

    Are you 100% honest with the taxman?

    Are you 100% honest with your insurance company?

    Do you cheat a little?

    Do you lie a little?

    In my country and society I could probably name hundreds of ways in which its citizens (from the poorest to the richest and everyone in between) lie and cheat the system.

    Every single society, system, civilization hasn't stood the test of time yet. The one that lasted the longest so far was Ancient Egypt at 3500 years.

    The United States of America is what... 240 years old.

    Think it will be around in another 240 years?

    soooo, should we keep slaves and make everyone fearfull of they ruler(who btw was a avatar of gods) so we can keep things the way they are now? please teh best thing we can do is keep changing and move forward, but keep people free, less the goverment mess with things more things improve
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 9,033
    Well you can't buy Venezuelan hookers with WoW gold so I'd say this article is BS.
    if you have food you can buy anything, or toilet paper u.u, that is socialism for you, everyone is equal
    But some are more equal than others.
    Pretty sure everyone has heard that particular saying before, and knows exactly where it originated. :/
  • RaizzeennRaizzeenn Member UncommonPosts: 16
    laserit said:
    Gorwe said:
    laserit said:
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Replace "mismanagement" with "corruption"

    Corruption will decay and destroy any system without prejudice.
    Disagreed. Socialism doesn't have that much with corruption(not any significantly increased amount of it). Mismanagement? You bet! Because socialism is about feelings, opressed people etc. So, who cares if a Minister of Culture doesn't know who Sancho Panza is(just...lol)? All that matters is that he is...colored(excuse the lack of better term). See? It's not because of typical corruptive actions(nepotism, fraud, crime etc) but because of good intentions. And we all know where all the good intentions lead to without any brain usage. ;)
    I'm not talking about the corruption of a government. I'm talking about the corruption of a society.

    Are you 100% honest with the taxman?

    Are you 100% honest with your insurance company?

    Do you cheat a little?

    Do you lie a little?

    In my country and society I could probably name hundreds of ways in which its citizens (from the poorest to the richest and everyone in between) lie and cheat the system.

    Every single society, system, civilization hasn't stood the test of time yet. The one that lasted the longest so far was Ancient Egypt at 3500 years.

    The United States of America is what... 240 years old.

    Think it will be around in another 240 years?

    soooo, should we keep slaves and make everyone fearfull of they ruler(who btw was a avatar of gods) so we can keep things the way they are now? please teh best thing we can do is keep changing and move forward, but keep people free, less the goverment mess with things more things improve
    Keep changing? Nah. I don't want a bunch of low IQ monkies running around my country. I'd rather be invaded by Russia.
  • laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 5,084
    laserit said:
    Gorwe said:
    laserit said:
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Replace "mismanagement" with "corruption"

    Corruption will decay and destroy any system without prejudice.
    Disagreed. Socialism doesn't have that much with corruption(not any significantly increased amount of it). Mismanagement? You bet! Because socialism is about feelings, opressed people etc. So, who cares if a Minister of Culture doesn't know who Sancho Panza is(just...lol)? All that matters is that he is...colored(excuse the lack of better term). See? It's not because of typical corruptive actions(nepotism, fraud, crime etc) but because of good intentions. And we all know where all the good intentions lead to without any brain usage. ;)
    I'm not talking about the corruption of a government. I'm talking about the corruption of a society.

    Are you 100% honest with the taxman?

    Are you 100% honest with your insurance company?

    Do you cheat a little?

    Do you lie a little?

    In my country and society I could probably name hundreds of ways in which its citizens (from the poorest to the richest and everyone in between) lie and cheat the system.

    Every single society, system, civilization hasn't stood the test of time yet. The one that lasted the longest so far was Ancient Egypt at 3500 years.

    The United States of America is what... 240 years old.

    Think it will be around in another 240 years?

    soooo, should we keep slaves and make everyone fearfull of they ruler(who btw was a avatar of gods) so we can keep things the way they are now? please teh best thing we can do is keep changing and move forward, but keep people free, less the goverment mess with things more things improve
    ???

    There use to be a time when we had no Government and we were 100% free. If I was big and strong enough, I was free to make you my bitch.

    Do you think the law and regulation books are thinner today than they were yesterday? 

    As is true with pretty much everything, there needs to be balance.

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXMember RarePosts: 2,095
    One of the secrets is, none of the systems work.  They maintain a bit of equilibrium over time, but eventually oscillate out of control.   They all have weaknesses, and the bigger the system the more they are subject to them.

    Sorta like MMOs....
    laserit

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • alkarionlogalkarionlog SMember UncommonPosts: 1,437
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    Gorwe said:
    laserit said:
    Phry said:
    Viper482 said:
    It's called socialism.
    Mismanagement knows no 'ism'.
    On the contrary, when it comes to Mismanagement, Socialism is probably near if not at the top of the list. ;)
    Replace "mismanagement" with "corruption"

    Corruption will decay and destroy any system without prejudice.
    Disagreed. Socialism doesn't have that much with corruption(not any significantly increased amount of it). Mismanagement? You bet! Because socialism is about feelings, opressed people etc. So, who cares if a Minister of Culture doesn't know who Sancho Panza is(just...lol)? All that matters is that he is...colored(excuse the lack of better term). See? It's not because of typical corruptive actions(nepotism, fraud, crime etc) but because of good intentions. And we all know where all the good intentions lead to without any brain usage. ;)
    I'm not talking about the corruption of a government. I'm talking about the corruption of a society.

    Are you 100% honest with the taxman?

    Are you 100% honest with your insurance company?

    Do you cheat a little?

    Do you lie a little?

    In my country and society I could probably name hundreds of ways in which its citizens (from the poorest to the richest and everyone in between) lie and cheat the system.

    Every single society, system, civilization hasn't stood the test of time yet. The one that lasted the longest so far was Ancient Egypt at 3500 years.

    The United States of America is what... 240 years old.

    Think it will be around in another 240 years?

    soooo, should we keep slaves and make everyone fearfull of they ruler(who btw was a avatar of gods) so we can keep things the way they are now? please teh best thing we can do is keep changing and move forward, but keep people free, less the goverment mess with things more things improve
    ???

    There use to be a time when we had no Government and we were 100% free. If I was big and strong enough, I was free to make you my bitch.

    Do you think the law and regulation books are thinner today than they were yesterday? 

    As is true with pretty much everything, there needs to be balance.

    yeah todays world is not fun anymore like that you would be so fucked
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,870
    Gorwe said:
    Eldurian said:
    This topic seems like a minefield. 

    I'm not sure mismanagement or corruption are the appropriate terms.

    I'm not sure there is any way to properly manage a command-system based economy. Every successful economy, is a free market system with some level of government regulation. What level works best is pretty debatable but the fact that systems that lean more command than free-market all fail really isn't. Any semi-succesful "socialist" nation definitely leans toward the free market. The most extreme examples of the command system have all ended in mass starvation and horrible human suffering.
    But so have extreme free market notions. Stuff like Pinochet. The real economic system should be a free market one where govt protects its own farmers while promoting free and fair trade. A balanced scenario if you will.
    Well that's why I said: "Every successful economy, is a free market system with some level of government regulation."

    Though I would say things that lean very heavily in the free market direction can and have been successful. Nothing that very closely resembles the command system ever has.

    The primary difference between the command and free-market system is that in the free market system there is a demand for a good or service and a producer steps up to produce that until it is no longer profitable to do so, and that is how resource allocation is determined. In the command system a government official decided there is a need for a good or service and allocates resources to it based on how great they feel that need is.

    What history has proven is that supply and demand always does  greater job of resource allocation than human minds. Any semi-successful system we would describe as "socialist" starts with the free market system and tries to make it more "fair" through government regulation. Nothing good starts with the command system.
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,291
    Eldurian said:
    Gorwe said:
    Eldurian said:
    This topic seems like a minefield. 

    I'm not sure mismanagement or corruption are the appropriate terms.

    I'm not sure there is any way to properly manage a command-system based economy. Every successful economy, is a free market system with some level of government regulation. What level works best is pretty debatable but the fact that systems that lean more command than free-market all fail really isn't. Any semi-succesful "socialist" nation definitely leans toward the free market. The most extreme examples of the command system have all ended in mass starvation and horrible human suffering.
    But so have extreme free market notions. Stuff like Pinochet. The real economic system should be a free market one where govt protects its own farmers while promoting free and fair trade. A balanced scenario if you will.
    Well that's why I said: "Every successful economy, is a free market system with some level of government regulation."

    Though I would say things that lean very heavily in the free market direction can and have been successful. Nothing that very closely resembles the command system ever has.

    The primary difference between the command and free-market system is that in the free market system there is a demand for a good or service and a producer steps up to produce that until it is no longer profitable to do so, and that is how resource allocation is determined. In the command system a government official decided there is a need for a good or service and allocates resources to it based on how great they feel that need is.

    What history has proven is that supply and demand always does  greater job of resource allocation than human minds. Any semi-successful system we would describe as "socialist" starts with the free market system and tries to make it more "fair" through government regulation. Nothing good starts with the command system.
    But there should be some intervention. Otherwise, people / companies will simply cheat and bully their way to money(best example? The Donald: "That's because I'm smart!"). Pure systems don't work. Pure anything does not work. But I agree that gvt should intervene into, not design economic system. I'm basically an economic centrist. And I'm not willing to veer too much into any side.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,870
    edited August 9
    I'm not disagreeing with you that some level of intervention is needed. The only place a pure free market system exists is black markets. I don't really care to debate whether early America or modern Nordic countries have the balance more correct. At least not here, that would be too heavy of a heated political debate.

    All I'm saying is the foundation of any successful economic system is the free market. Systems that use the command system as the foundation of their economic system have been horrible failures without exception.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
Sign In or Register to comment.