Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you prefer low TECH ON PURPOSE ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
Classic mmos obviously didn't have anything dynamic or any sort of gimmicks.  They were more straight forward. 

Sure some you had weather effects.  Or a monster that would have it's own personality that would shock the player with instant death if you made the wrong move.  Or take fire damage if standing in the wrong place. 

By gimmicks and dynamic events I'm talking about "way out stuff" like getting on a helicopters and dropping bombs, or going into your very own story instance to tell a three hundred part personal story designed just for you.  Taking down a massive dragon while auto grouped, then everyone gets first place...... Do you like this ?

Pantheon seems to have natural occurrences ( if you can call fantasy natural ).  Like weather and approaching a random mystical orb where the group has no idea what would happen, even if so, everyone knows it comes with consequences.

Pantheon seems to have problematic open dungeons camps and caves right their in the open.... You can see it without going into a video.  You know it's their, the question is do you go around or do you have the guts.  Maybe it's a group decision.  Maybe you need to prepare.

To me this is LOW TECH ON PURPOSE, yet still have high tech..... Hold on a little, let me explain more. 

It's unspoken how you can have both. 

The best example is monsters with extreme personalities.  Check out games like "Dark Souls" where every boss had a deep strength or vulnerability, or "The Witcher" where you had to read your bestiality book to find what works.  Same with "Shadows of Mordor".  All this at first glance seems easy but it's not if you really want to take them down.

Their is no HIGH TECH in Dark Souls, it you want to sum it all up, you simply run a direct path killing everything in it's path, that's it.  BUT the High Tech is in the programming. and the high tech is huge ! 

Remember the commercial "Calgon take me away"....... I don't want to be taken away into a high tech video in the middle of a fight, just so developers could say, "see what we did" ...... I want to be immersed in deep problematic situations that took balls getting into the first place :) 

What do you like, this or Black Desert Online ?

GdemamiTamanousMikehaKyleranHawkaya399ExcessionKayo83

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I must admit that I'm a little unclear on what the question is here. Are you talking about cut scenes or instanced story modes? If so, then I agree (I think). They are a waste of my time and the developers' effort, and I consider them a distraction and highly annoying.

However, I'm not sure what the comparison with BDO is all about. There aren't many cut scenes or story mode diversions in that game. In fact, there are almost no instances in the game at all. Arenas are open, dungeons are open, mob camps are open, and aside from a few class specific story lines (e.g. Awakening); the game doesn't try to over-manage your character.

MendelThunder073
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    What the hell are you talking about?

I'm not going to try and figure out the little maze you've created because I don't think I'll have enough breadcrumbs to get back out.

Please restate.
    MendelKyleran

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    edited August 2017
    I think he means a comparison between the new interest in the AI doing all sorts of things these days like moving around NPCs and maybe even adapting to combat versus the old tried and true straight up Enemy X vs Player A.  While still allowing for some variation?  

edit: oh the end, bdo vs dark souls.  do you want a linear game or a non-linear game.  maybe that's what he means.  i prefer non-linear.

edit2:  oh he's also talking about cut scenes.  to me, they are fine if you can escape from them.  i like them if they're done well but would like the option to skip.

edit3:  just read his post again and i think i got lost.  never mind everything.
    dcutbi001
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I guess to sum it all up.

A more natural world instead of playgrounds full of gimmicks
    Gdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well OP you are sort of borderline on what you would like to see and what has already been done.

to me gimmicks are the ideas that LURE people in to play a less than average game or to keep them coming back for some superficial number like a level or a rating/rank.Gimmicks are ideas that imo if removed,the player base would be VERY small or a lot thinner.

"a more natural world"is exactly what i have been longing for.MOST games are a mix up of ideas just tossed in to create repetitive mechanics to keep players coming back to support cash shops and sub fees.

A role playing world should feel natural and by that i mean PLAUSIBLE,not some far fetched ideas that really make no sense or just look foolish,example an archer doing 360 spin o rama's to justify a combo or doing a somersault to result in aoe healing,ideas like that just look foolish.

IMO FFXi "ZERO hand holding.NO markers"is the closest so far,yes Ultima Online has some ideas that should also be in every game and then a few other games have ideas as well such as housing "expected"etc etc.Dynamic worlds will obviously never be 100% dynamic but we can do a much better job of replicating a more natural world such as ECO systems,that i have been asking for since forever.

Point is ,some natural EXPECTED ideas are missing from even the most populated mmorpg's,so people are supporting half assed efforts.IMO 2005 is when we SHOULD have seen a dramatic increase in game design and we have not,often i see far worse and far more superficial.No i do not expect to have every npc on a highly complicated scripted AI,that is impossible but there are subtle ways to bring a world to life without massive PC powerhouses.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

To me it seems like Warhammer started the gimmick thing with dynamic events, later Rift and WoW, then GW2... Now it's expected along with personal story instances and phasing out of the population. 

What ever happened to the good old fashioned run up to the mouth of a cave and say to your self "should I go in". 
    Iselin
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    DMKano said:
    I must admit that I'm a little unclear on what the question is here. Are you talking about cut scenes or instanced story modes? If so, then I agree (I think). They are a waste of my time and the developers' effort, and I consider them a distraction and highly annoying.

However, I'm not sure what the comparison with BDO is all about. There aren't many cut scenes or story mode diversions in that game. In fact, there are almost no instances in the game at all. Arenas are open, dungeons are open, mob camps are open, and aside from a few class specific story lines (e.g. Awakening); the game doesn't try to over-manage your character.

A little unclear?

I have not a slightest idea - "high tech/low tech" - umm yeah that to me means something else entirely.

I can say that I have read the OP twice and still have no idea what the point was, now I understand how the lead character in Arrival felt at first:

So you mean you are staggered by his intelligence superiority and complexity of his language and his form?
    jimmywolf
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    To me it seems like Warhammer started the gimmick thing with dynamic events, later Rift and WoW, then GW2... Now it's expected along with personal story instances and phasing out of the population. 

What ever happened to the good old fashioned run up to the mouth of a cave and say to your self "should I go in". 

I really liked the dynamic events in GW2. They weren't perfect, but I thought it was a great mechanic working in conjunction with 'down-leveling'. However, to then say it's expected 'along with personal story instances' is a non-sequitur. I can like the dynamic events and at the same time hate the "My Story" element of GW2, which is exactly how I feel.

I guess it comes down to what you define as a 'gimmick'. For example, I think PVP, both open world and instanced, can be a 'gimmick' in many MMORPGs. Developers just throw it in the game as a lazy substitute for content. Dailies are another thing I consider to be a gimmick in many MMORPGs. Having said that, PVP and dailies can certainly be an interesting and important part of character development depending on the implementation.

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Pantheon isn't low tech on purpose, it's low tech due to low budget and small dev team.  
    Mendel

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    By gimmicks and dynamic events I'm talking about "way out stuff" like getting on a helicopters and dropping bombs, or going into your very own story instance to tell a three hundred part personal story designed just for you.  Taking down a massive dragon while auto grouped, then everyone gets first place...... Do you like this ?

If you want to know if i like heavily scripted encounters for story-telling purposes only, then the answer is 'no'.

I prefer "a more natural world instead of playgrounds full of gimmicks".

Playgrounds are for kids.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Google happened, or do you think Pantheon will be immune from explicit YT video guides?

As to the other part with Warhammer, Rift, etc. It just amazes me that someone would see new tech aimed at creating legitimate community challenges as a negative in community-based gaming.
    MendelConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited August 2017
    Iselin said:

Google happened, or do you think Pantheon will be immune from explicit YT video guides?

As to the other part with Warhammer, Rift, etc. It just amazes me that someone would see new tech aimed at creating legitimate community challenges as a negative in community-based gaming.
    Not just Google. Achievements for trivial things encourage players to rush through content and consequently use Google to help them do it.

It is not an achievement to get to level 5.
    It is not an achievement to craft your first pair of boots.
    It is not an achievement to find the bank in town.

It IS an achievement to kill a boss after the 10th try with only a fraction of your health bar left.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If this is a living world/open world rather than theme park post, then yes, I am all for that. 

If this is a nice graphics are bad post, then, no, I am not supportive of that. 

If this is a dynamic world events suck post, then no, I don't agree with that. EQ was chock full of world bosses and sometimes events which I enjoyed quite a bit. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Amathe said:
    If this is a living world/open world rather than theme park post, then yes, I am all for that. 

If this is a nice graphics are bad post, then, no, I am not supportive of that. 

If this is a dynamic world events suck post, then no, I don't agree with that. EQ was chock full of world bosses and sometimes events which I enjoyed quite a bit. 
    No one is quite sure what the OP was really about, so take your pick.

Or tell us who you really like for this year's World Series, all good.  

B)
    Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Gavyne said:
    Pantheon isn't low tech on purpose, it's low tech due to low budget and small dev team.  
    I'm not sure this is entirely accurate.  If you define "tech" to include evolutionary changes to the fundamental game play, then Pantheon is intentionally ignoring features added by games since EQ1 (and even more modern EQ1 features).  There appears to be a deliberate intent to strip the genre of any and all features that were added after Kunark/Velious/Luclin.   And I think that could be considered as "low tech on purpose".

You're probably right on about the budget and development team.  These are definitely limiting factors in any MMORPG-type project.  But, the features and 'mindset' that the Pantheon team is working on are the exact same features that Brad has attempted twice before.  The 'goal' of Pantheon seems to be only those that Brad is familiar with, with little innovation involved.  I get the feeling that this attitude is also a limiting factor.

Pantheon may turn out to be a complete disaster, or a case of "third time's the charm".  (I'm actually hoping it's neither).  We won't know that until it is released.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited August 2017
    Classic mmos obviously didn't have anything dynamic or any sort of gimmicks.  They were more straight forward. 

Sure some you had weather effects.  Or a monster that would have it's own personality that would shock the player with instant death if you made the wrong move.  Or take fire damage if standing in the wrong place. 

*snip*

Remember the commercial "Calgon take me away"....... I don't want to be taken away into a high tech video in the middle of a fight, just so developers could say, "see what we did" ...... I want to be immersed in deep problematic situations that took balls getting into the first place :) 

I think ti's they want to SHOW the experience. Many of us who come here want to directly experience it ourselves, warts and all. We don't want to think we're heroes, we want to know we're heroes. And we can be satisfied merely being a peasant because we feel it all.

Some people prefer showing, maybe most do. Directly experiencing can hurt a lot. When you read a story, do you wnat to hurt? No. An  example is dying in Everquest. It could hurt, sometimes a lot. Some people even lost their corpse in the early days. Ouch! Now imagine some players WANT that. It's not masochism, as much as it's what I outline here.

I think people who want to directly experience, are looking for more than a story. The question is why? Idk. Can only guess.
    edited August 2017

*snip*

I think ti's they want to SHOW the experience. Many of us who come here want to directly experience it ourselves, warts and all. We don't want to think we're heroes, we want to know we're heroes. And we can be satisfied merely being a peasant because we feel it all.

Some people prefer showing, maybe most do. Directly experiencing can hurt a lot. When you read a story, do you wnat to hurt? No. An  example is dying in Everquest. It could hurt, sometimes a lot. Some people even lost their corpse in the early days. Ouch! Now imagine some players WANT that. It's not masochism, as much as it's what I outline here.

I think people who want to directly experience, are looking for more than a story. The question is why? Idk. Can only guess.

Powerful stuff here, ^^^^ 

Funny thing just happened just a few minuets ago.  It was 4 am here and still dark.  There was a noise outside.  I turned the spotlight on and there was a skunk getting into the garbage.  I tried turning the spot light on and off, then banged on the window.  Skunk wouldn't budge. 

You know why ?.... You don't chase a skunk, he chases you ! 

Point being.... You don't play modern mmos, THEY PLAY YOU !

Private video stories don't belong in an mmo. ( so called high tech )
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    DMKano said:

A little unclear?

I have not a slightest idea - "high tech/low tech" - umm yeah that to me means something else entirely.

I can say that I have read the OP twice and still have no idea what the point was, now I understand how the lead character in Arrival felt at first:

So you mean you are staggered by his intelligence superiority and complexity of his language and his form?
    think more along the lines of trying to understand an decipher a cryptic language that common too them while they try make a valid point.