What have "MMOs" become? 40 player max per server is not an MMO....

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member RarePosts: 6,290
    The game list here isn't an MMO game list. It's just a game list.
    GdemamialivenPhry
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,222
    Cecropia said:

HUH?

Your argument is that MMO doesn't mean Massively Multiplayer Online?

Thats just...  unique!

Not really. Just look at the game list here. Lost of games, classified as MMO, are not "massively multiplayer". It is not my argument .. it is just an observation.

See .. the argument is not that MMO does not mean "massively MP". The argument is that most people don't care, and so websites and the industry are taking liberty with it.

So certainly you can argue until you are blue in your face that they are wrong, and many have done that here. But the net effect ... ZERO.
    It's not your argument, it's your personal crusade.
    It very much is; I'm just surprised he hasn't gotten bored at this point. How many years can a person go on and on about something that they really don't even care about? This ridiculous behavior really does speak volumes about one's character, though. Sad stuff.
    Ack, quiet, now I'm starting to feel I strongly resemble him, just in another light.

We're all just beating dead horses at this point, it's just that,  its so much darn fun. ;)
    Cecropiacameltosis

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAMember RarePosts: 27,243
    The game list here isn't an MMO game list. It's just a game list.
    More precisely, a game list can classified Destiny 1 & 2 as "MMOFPS", world of tanks "action MMO", warframe "MMOTPS", and so on.

So I guess you have no problem with how the 3 letters MMO are used in this game list?
    Cecropia said:

It very much is; I'm just surprised he hasn't gotten bored at this point. How many years can a person go on and on about something that they really don't even care about? This ridiculous behavior really does speak volumes about one's character, though. Sad stuff.
    As much as your follow-up "how can he repeat this" comment here.

And to be fair (check the post logs), i got bored for a while. But hey, if you are here to flog dead horses (be a man, admit it!), i don't see why i shouldn't come back to do the same.

Way to be hypocritical!
    Gdemami
    edited August 7
    The game list literally just says game list. It doesnt say MMO game list just game list. I have no problem with classifying them as games.

Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Gdemami
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 1,755
    But MMO literally is an acronym meaning Massively Multiplayer Online...  it's like claiming ATM doesn't mean automated teller machine...   

Thats a bizarre argument.

Or that Open World PvP doesn't mean PVP in an Open World setting. Crazy people with crazy definitions these days.
    Gdemami
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Seagrove Beach, FLMember UncommonPosts: 273
    Language evolves. I was taught this in high school.
    Gdemami

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• k61977k61977 Pendleton, SCMember RarePosts: 704
    This has been beat to death.  The term massive in MMO is the problem.  There is not a finite number attached to it so people can randomly assign whatever number they want to it.  Yes all the games are multiplayer and online, all can agree with that.  So until they put an actual number for the term massive in the dictionary it will always be subjective and not an objective idea. 

For me personally I see the number as any number above a 1000 because I am an older gamer and that was around the number most considered when I started gaming.  So if the game has less than that playing at one time on a server to me it is a multiplayer game. 

The argument would come up what if the game had 999 people it isn't an MMO?  Well if there were a finite number assigned and it was 1000 then no it wouldn't be.  So until the time that it has a number assigned who really cares.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 10,768
    Language evolves. I was taught this in high school.
    ...and I thought the blame is on educational system.
    Kyleran
  • lahnmirlahnmir UtrechtMember RarePosts: 882
    Kyleran said:

people really dont. They just use this as an excuse to tell you how shitty a game is. Bottom line is that the game is shitty.
    be careful here .. you have not seen those who argue until their faces are blue that MMO has to be "massively multiplayer"? 

They will pull up dictionaries, wiki, age old quotes from has-been developers, and probably gospels from Jesus Christ himself to show you that they have the authority to change how the whole internet use a simple 3 letters "MMO".

Funny though ... not even the OP of this website listens to them ...  
    HUH?

Your argument is that MMO doesn't mean Massively Multiplayer Online?

Thats just...  unique!

Actually his argument as I understand it is since  so many use it incorrectly and call games MMOs which clearly aren't (this site being one of the offenders) at what point does it fail to matter?

Sadly he's not unique in being wrong but as with others here I feel precision in terms is important and worth maintaining in this case.
    But MMO literally is an acronym meaning Massively Multiplayer Online...  it's like claiming ATM doesn't mean automated teller machine...   

Thats a bizarre argument.

Wait... whut??!! ATM does not mean All That Money?....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

• NibsNibs .Member UncommonPosts: 254
    k61977 said:
    The term massive in MMO is the problem.
    There's another problem: That first 'M' in MMO used to stand for 'Massively', not 'Massive'.

'Massive Multi-player Online Game' implies the game itself is massive.

'MassiveLY Multi-player Online Game' implies the number of players that you can expect to encounter/players per server is massive.

And before anyone says it, yes, it is the number of players you can expect to encounter/players per server, because no one would ever describe CS:GO as an MMO, yet it is played by massive amounts of people at the same time.
    cameltosisGdemamiPhry
    The game list literally just says game list. It doesnt say MMO game list just game list. I have no problem with classifying them as games.

Apparently you are not very good at reading. You don't see the column "Genre" with the labels MMOTPS, action MMO being used?

You don't see on top, the title of the page is "MMORPG Games - All MMO Games"?
    Gdemami said:

...and I thought the blame is on educational system.
    nah .. the blame is on MMOs are no longer compelling enough for gamers to care about what it actually means. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 10,768
    nah .. the blame is on MMOs are no longer compelling enough for gamers to care about what it actually means. 
    'no longer' implies they actually cared sometime before, which I do not think is the case....
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Nashville, TNMember EpicPosts: 2,360
    Trolls of a feather flock together, eh?

Gdemami said:
    'no longer' implies they actually cared sometime before, which I do not think is the case....
    You got me there ... 
  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 8,864
    Nibs said:
    k61977 said:
    The term massive in MMO is the problem.
    There's another problem: That first 'M' in MMO used to stand for 'Massively', not 'Massive'.

'Massive Multi-player Online Game' implies the game itself is massive.

'MassiveLY Multi-player Online Game' implies the number of players that you can expect to encounter/players per server is massive.

And before anyone says it, yes, it is the number of players you can expect to encounter/players per server, because no one would ever describe CS:GO as an MMO, yet it is played by massive amounts of people at the same time.
    The first M in MMO still stands for Massively, not Massive, and while CS:GO could be said to be played by a 'massive' (which isn't even a number) number of people, so is minesweeper, and CS:GO isn't claiming to be, or classed as an MMO, its just an Online Game, a multiplayer one at that, but there is no way you can class it as being an MMO, no matter how you creatively reinterpret the word Massively. Massively Multiplayer is not two seperate concepts, just one, its multiplayer but on a 'massive scale' hence the Massively Multiplayer title, and while you can class games that have a 100 or so players as being multiplayer, it isn't massively multiplayer, which usually involves thousands of players, or at least several hundreds of players that are able to play together in the same game, and while games that are heavily instanced or use megaservers do muddy the waters a bit when it comes to the number of players that can play together, they still enable several hundreds of players to play together, although games such as SW:TOR which has i think a 250 player limit per instance, is a bit borderline, and open to question whether the game is really an MMORPG, or an MORPG.
    However you call it though, MMO is shortform for Massively Multiplayer Online. :/
    Gdemami
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Athea said:
    Why are all these new games coming out (many are cloning ARK's sandbox theme, others are unique. But WHY are they being labeled MMO/MMORPGs? If a server can only hold 20-180 people, it is NOT an MMO.

There are some benefits (no gold farmers) but it splits the community up into hundreds of servers, and only if you have friends to play with or find friends in game to group up with then its a 1 vs 19-179 multiplayer game, not an MMO.

Any thoughts
    I agree with the fact that when i think MMO i think servers with thousands and thousands of people running around in a world at the same time.

But what have MMO's really turned into ? anymore they are just solo games with a story ark quest chain and you group with a few people here and there for raids that you can just que up for. all in all you probably only interact with a hand full of people that you WANT to interact with, everybody else is just in your way.

I have seen communities of helpful people in these smaller server sandbox games. i have seen people working together to build huge structures and gather resources to survive. to me its what MMO's should of evolved into but on a larger scale.
    edited August 8

Apparently you are not very good at reading. You don't see the column "Genre" with the labels MMOTPS, action MMO being used?

Did you not see the screenshot? That's what is seen. None of those labels are there.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Phry
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,361
    edited August 8

Did you not see the screenshot? That's what is seen. None of those labels are there.
    In the non-mobile version of the site it says MMO games. Then again the mouseover says Best Free MMORPGs. We all know they're not all "FREE" which leads me to think that drawing conclusions from a website tab title is, at best, standing on shaky ground.

This seems like semantic shuffling anyway.  I can think of several hobbies where only the hardcore enthusiasts trip over details like this. The General Public doesn't care. Just an opinion, not stating it as fact.
    Post edited by Torval on
    Kyleran
    Album: The Who Sell Out
    Featured Tracks: Heinz Baked Beans, Our Love Was, Hall of the Mountain King (the first and most awesome rock version)
    Fair enough and exactly.
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,222
    Torval said:

In the non-mobile version of the site it says MMO games. Then again the mouseover says Best Free MMORPGs. We all know they're not all "FREE" which leads me to think that drawing conclusions from a website tab title is, at best, standing on shaky ground.

This seems like semantic shuffling anyway.  I can think of several hobbies where only the hardcore enthusiasts trip over details like this. The General Public doesn't care. Just an opinion, not stating it as fact.
    Is it a "rifle" or  is it a "gun? 

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Torval said:

Is it a "rifle" or  is it a "gun? 
    I was a sailor. I had a friend who was a marine. Whenever I called them "guns" he'd interrupt me and repeat, "This is my weapon, this is my gun. My weapon's for shooting, my gun is for fun."

So don't shoot shoot shoot that thing at me... :lol:
    Kyleran
    Featured Tracks: Heinz Baked Beans, Our Love Was, Hall of the Mountain King (the first and most awesome rock version)
    But to answer your question a rifle is a gun, but a gun isn't necessarily a rifle.
    laseritMadFrenchieKyleranCecropia
  • laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 4,824
    Torval said:
    But to answer your question a rifle is a gun, but a gun isn't necessarily a rifle.
    A rifle, a pistol and a cannon all have something in common ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee