Some frustrating things.

2»

Comments

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,435
    Mendel said:
    The subscription is the pay wall I was referencing above.  It may not seem much to you, but $13 a month is excessive to me.  Throwing money at a problem was never a satisfying solution even when my financial situation was different.

Sixty slots is an awful lot of storage compared to games like PWE or LotRO, until I saw how quickly that filled up with far too many crafting items (which still requires an in-game store purchase of style materials to actually make something).  (PWE and LotRO both fill your character up with all manner of daily presents which do nothing except eat away at your inventory space).  Do I really need to go from Raw Jute to Jute to craft low-level cloth armor?  That seems like something that could be abstracted, especially as the Jute runs out at level 14 and starts again as Raw Flax and Flax.  This system seems more aligned with 'selling' inventory space than creating a complex crafting system.  To me, that is suspect design.

While the $45/3mo isn't a huge deal to me usually it has been in the past and I understand and relate to that sentiment. Honestly this would be my perfect game if I didn't have to screw with the storage. I know how they're leveraging it, and I hate that, but I deal with it.

Since day one year zero ZoS has played shady marketing. I deal with them the same way I do with Turbine/SSG which also likes to play marketing lingo games. I keep that in mind whenever I'm spending money with them, but that doesn't stop me from doing so to enjoy the service how I like.

I don't want to just whine and rant. Here is what I would do if I wanted to craft but didn't want to sub. Split the professions amongst alts.

While all the crafting is fun the most useful are those that take the most material storage but also don't use motifs: Enchanting, Alchemy, and Provisioning. All the other professions that make wearable gear use motifs for styling.

Have one character each for Enchanting, Alchemy, and Provisioning. Have another character for clothier, woodworker, and blacksmith. You can add storage mules as necessary but if you focus on one tier at a time then you shouldn't need that much storage.

Keep all mats on that crafter. Keep shared or less used materials in the bank.

Alternatively you could buy 30 days of Premium every few months. For $15 you get 1500 Crowns a month of premium buffs (xp, gold, etc) and unlimited storage. The trick here is that if you have crafting mats in regular storage they automatically transfer to unlimited storage when you're premium. You can always access them after your premium time stops. You just can't add more. Also that would give you a month to really farm mats like crazy. :tongue:
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,922
    Mendel said:

Sixty slots is an awful lot of storage compared to games like PWE or LotRO, until I saw how quickly that filled up with far too many crafting items (which still requires an in-game store purchase of style materials to actually make something).  (PWE and LotRO both fill your character up with all manner of daily presents which do nothing except eat away at your inventory space).  Do I really need to go from Raw Jute to Jute to craft low-level cloth armor?  That seems like something that could be abstracted, especially as the Jute runs out at level 14 and starts again as Raw Flax and Flax.  This system seems more aligned with 'selling' inventory space than creating a complex crafting system.  To me, that is suspect design.
    I would agree that it does seem to be "inconvenience by design" in order to monetize it except that the storage issues have always been part of ESO right from launch and long before the sub became optional.

The crafting bag wasn't even added to the game until June 2016 - more than 2 years after launch and more than a year after it went B2P and added a crown store; and double the bank space for ESO+ was just added a couple of months ago.

I think it was a just a case of inadequate design considering the large quantity of items that need storage space and compounded by having only an account shared bank instead of a character bank + shared bank as many other MMOs have done in the past.

We all had to live with crafting without a bag and with the same storage limit numbers for 2 years. We did it by having several crafting mules and passing the items specific to their craft through the bank so they could store it in their personal inventory and after the sub became optional before they added the crafting bag, many of us bought 2nd basic accounts when they went on sale to have extra mules with the added benefit of being able to mail things to the other account from anywhere in the world... I got my 2nd account for $9.99 and I still use it extensively whenever I don't sub since I don't always have my sub active.

I also used to routinely ditch any common crafting style stones to free-up space since the crafting vendors sell those anyway. The same for trait stones for traits I never used. Likewise with provisioning mats I used to always ditch drink-specific mats since I always crafted food and never drinks. But yeah, a lot of micromanagement required.

I personally don't find needing to process raw mats to refined mats nor having level tiered mats odd since that's pretty standard MMORPG crafting in a lot of games. Also the refinement process is your main source of upgrade tempers which you'll need to improve both crafted and dropped gear and also sells very well if you don't want to use them.

And no you don't need to buy style items from the cash shop. In the first place every character knows the style for their race automatically and style books for other racial styles are rare, but not too rare, drops from containers. At worst if you need to buy them, the common "blue" styles sell for around 3-400 gold at any guild vendor.
    Gdemami
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi --
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,537
    Mendel said:
    The subscription is the pay wall I was referencing above.  It may not seem much to you, but $13 a month is excessive to me.  Throwing money at a problem was never a satisfying solution even when my financial situation was different.
    What I will say now may sound harsh, but please think about it...

If you can't afford $13 a month... I'm going to try to sound as nice as possible when saying that but... shouldn't you be searching for a better income source before spending hours playing a video game? $13 is the price of a movie at the theater these days. $13 means two hours of "fun" watching a movie or... countless hours of "fun" playing a good MMORPG.
    ScotchUp
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILMember UncommonPosts: 1,734
    Mendel said:

If you can't afford $13 a month... I'm going to try to sound as nice as possible when saying that but... shouldn't you be searching for a better income source before spending hours playing a video game? $13 is the price of a movie at the theater these days. $13 means two hours of "fun" watching a movie or... countless hours of "fun" playing a good MMORPG.
    I think you just gave Karma an orgasm.  I would not want to be you, Jean.  I feel so sorry for the Advantaged.  Let me just give you a small hint:  there are more people than jobs, foo.  Who's job did you steal so you can have a nice fat paycheck?  Are you telling me poor people are not important.  That making money defines who we are?  That we should not want anything when we are poor because we are not worthy of want?  Be so very carful, She's touching herself and watching you.

Gdemami
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Southern IllinoisMember RarePosts: 1,806
    edited August 12
    Mendel said:

I think you just gave Karma an orgasm.  I would not want to be you, Jean.  I feel so sorry for the Advantaged.  Let me just give you a small hint:  there are more people than jobs, foo.  Who's job did you steal so you can have a nice fat paycheck?  Are you telling me poor people are not important.  That making money defines who we are?  That we should not want anything when we are poor because we are not worthy of want?  Be so very carful, She's touching herself and watching you.

The good captain is probably talking about prioritizing your money better.

I do remember when I was younger I would have had a hard time coming up with $13 a month to blow on a game. I would have prioritized other forms of entertainment like weed and beer over a game. But their were no online games then, at least like their is now.

EDIT: Nope I was wrong after reading the post below me. I also agree 100% with it too.
    Post edited by bartoni33 on
    Jean-Luc_PicardTorval

Mendel said:

There are real poor people, and there are people who are supposedly poor but still have an Internet connection and a computer powerful enough to be able to run the latest video games. And sorry, but when those people say they can't afford $13/month, I'm suspicious.

I have no problem with my karma. Thank you for caring though.
    bartoni33
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
    bartoni33 said:

EDIT: Nope I was wrong after reading the post below me. I also agree 100% with it too.
    Nope you were not wrong. If you can afford an Internet connection and a computer able to run ESO, but supposedly can't afford $13, there's something foul involved which can include poor management.
    ScotchUp
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,726
    Anyone know how the new DLC is going?  I see a lot of nerf bat is being used.

"Change is the only constant."

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,922
    Anyone know how the new DLC is going?  I see a lot of nerf bat is being used.
    It's just routine buff/nerf stuff for set bonus stats, traits and mundus stones mostly but nothing drastic. 
    postlarval
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi --