banned

24

Comments

  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,267
    edited July 27
    More of this shit, huh?  *sigh*

    Yeah, I'm flagging them all regardless who posts it.

    All well and good to mention (once) you got banned and provide a quick summary, but multi post walls of text have to go.
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    MrMelGibson

    On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon


  • laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 4,840
    SedrynTyros

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • brickleulbrickleul timisoaraMember UncommonPosts: 28
    Dauzqul said:
    Gold selling / cheating should be a fricken' felony. I'm getting tired of this crap. I know it sounds overkill, but cheaters and gold sellers can completely destroy a game...   killing population / killing box sales. It financially hurts developers.

    Really , how about this then : http://imgur.com/a/EZRo3
    aren't you a little hypocritical with your statement, at least regarding this game ?
    Thunder073
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    edited July 27
    CrazKanuk said:
    Renoaku said:
    Well me personally I admit when I break a rule in a game if I find out that something I did was actually not legal like my trade between the game, and I can only respect and trust that the people complaining above are telling the truth, or innocent about having a hacked account until evidence is presented otherwise that actually proves the user themselves was illegally selling or buying gold or currency / items.

    I too have found problems with this game for example I found that being banned from the game myself I was still able to login to my account which I should not have been able to do because of a security exploit there, so I believe it is possible that these bots or cheaters may have found a way to bypass 2FA even if the game does have it.

    First of all, you can't simply give evidence that they were cheating because if they are a cheater you're basically telling them how they caught you lol. 

    Secondly, there are ways to determine where the account is logged in from, geographically. If it was coming from outside your country, then you might have a case. If it was coming from a relatively tight geographic area, then you might have an uphill argument on the whole "hacked" thing. 

    Third, where does the accountability lie? So you could say that you bought the game, hence that should guarantee you access to the game. However, if your account becomes compromised, why shouldn't you have to be accountable for that? Additionally, then taking responsibility for hacked accounts 1) opens up an excuse for the account in question for 1 get out of jail free card and; 2) it opens up the possibility for someone to make the argument that they were hacked and when they were hacked they lost all their gear, when that really wasn't the case, they just got killed and looted.

    Finally, there are a couple ways you can go about the subject of hacking, be lenient or have a zero tolerance attitude. You might have a problem with the zero tolerance route, but I can guarantee you that the guy in the game who's getting cheated, killed, and looted by the bot of your hacked account is probably thankful that you are banned. Unfortunately, sometimes you need to sacrifice a few good apples to make sure you're getting rid of the bad. 
    Um but I have questions about this.

    1.) Is it true that German Law requires them to disclose the evidence as a poster stated above, and someone was telling me on one of my long posts that they are required to provide service within the contract and can't deny without proving an actual violation?

    2.) I can change my location to anywhere on the world, for example I am from the U.S obviously, but I can make it say I am in China, France, Spain, or any other country I want to its really not that hard, and I route my connection 2-3 times which means even if someone managed to actually trace it it would lead to another dead end and would require some actual skills before they would find the user behind the mask.

    3.) I am not saying a user should not be accountable for an account compromsie, it has happened to me with World OF Warcraft back in the day I logged in to find my characters stripped, all items and gold gone, luckily enough the GM's help me get it back and it turned out one of my Add-Ons had a keylogger or something and as soon as I add a key-chain auth to it it solved all the problems.

    To my knowledge Albion Online as a game has some security flaws within the login server / code which can only lead me to believe that it could be possible that cheaters have found a way to bypass the 2 FA method, or compromised the data-base in other ways to obtain peopels login information.

    Good 2FA services such as steam ,offer Mobile Authentication on their smart phones when a user logs in to white-list their IP address and such, and serv ice like FFXIV, and World OF Warcraft provide key tokens which provide one time use tokens, but even this method is vulnurable because if a friend writes down one it doesn't seem to expire so 30 days later I think it could be used haven't tested this though.

    I strongly do not believe how this company holds people guilty before innocent, I agree there are many cheaters especially in game like this with no proper security, but I disagree that people who claimed to have been hacked are all guilty.

    Me personally I have 2FA on all my accounts that offer it just in-case someone should attempt to get into them again, but a lot of people actually don't set this up I would assume or don't know how important it is, although this would do no good if its able to be bypassed in the game anyways just saying if.

    http://imgur.com/a/Lb9gx I hope this will help shed some light on how good their security really is if they can't get basic HTML and server auth's done right, then I assume can't say for sure perhaps they didn't get some other code right, and yes I reported this to them over 2+ months ago now it still wasn't fixed, now I know actual developers who design webservers for me and others and trust me security is tight the moment someone pings his site he knows their RL locations very top notch security we have compared to this. I did censor my email address from this.

    Post edited by Renoaku on
    Excession
  • k61977k61977 Pendleton, SCMember RarePosts: 707
    edited July 27
    It's funny when I see people complain of being hacked to find out they were hacked in other games as well.  There are only a couple reason for this to occur.  One your information was stolen from the company itself which is no fault of your own, rarely happens but does sometimes.  Next is you are stupid and use those same logins on multiple games, your own fault for being an idiot.  Or lastly you where dealing with gold sellers, ect...and deserve to be hacked.  So out of those three only one is the companies fault.  And I don't have the feeling it is the company when it happens multiple times on different games.
    Post edited by k61977 on
    Kyleran
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    k61977 said:
    It's funny when I see people complain of being hacked to find out they were hacked in other games as well.  There are only a couple reason for this to occur.  One your information was stolen from the company itself which is no fault of your own, rarely happens but does sometimes.  Next is you are stupid and use those same logins on multiple games, your own fault for being an idiot.  Or lastly you where dealing with gold sellers, ect...and deserve to be hacked.  So out of those three only one is the companies fault.  And I don't have the feeling it is the company when it happens multiple times on different games.
    Yeah it rarely happens that I have actually had any accounts hacked there has been 3 times over 17 years two that I count at my own fault for using add-ons I didn't know had a keylogger with World OF Warcraft, the 3rd time would be with NCsoft when they updated to F2P on Lineage 2 my account mysteriously lost everything on the account it was sad countless hours lost because of an account compromise  an account that I hadn't even used in years and they refused to restore it so I said im done with the game anyways, but still that game for example brings back good memories of 2005 back when it used to be popular along with Guild Wars 1 which btw I own all the collectors editions of.
    Excession
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONMember EpicPosts: 5,744
    Renoaku said:

    Um but I have questions about this.

    1.) Is it true that German Law requires them to disclose the evidence as a poster stated above, and someone was telling me on one of my long posts that they are required to provide service within the contract and can't deny without proving an actual violation?

    2.) I can change my location to anywhere on the world, for example I am from the U.S obviously, but I can make it say I am in China, France, Spain, or any other country I want to its really not that hard, and I route my connection 2-3 times which means even if someone managed to actually trace it it would lead to another dead end and would require some actual skills before they would find the user behind the mask.

    3.) I am not saying a user should not be accountable for an account compromsie, it has happened to me with World OF Warcraft back in the day I logged in to find my characters stripped, all items and gold gone, luckily enough the GM's help me get it back and it turned out one of my Add-Ons had a keylogger or something and as soon as I add a key-chain auth to it it solved all the problems.

    To my knowledge Albion Online as a game has some security flaws within the login server / code which can only lead me to believe that it could be possible that cheaters have found a way to bypass the 2 FA method, or compromised the data-base in other ways to obtain peopels login information.

    Good 2FA services such as steam ,offer Mobile Authentication on their smart phones when a user logs in to white-list their IP address and such, and serv ice like FFXIV, and World OF Warcraft provide key tokens which provide one time use tokens, but even this method is vulnurable because if a friend writes down one it doesn't seem to expire so 30 days later I think it could be used haven't tested this though.

    I strongly do not believe how this company holds people guilty before innocent, I agree there are many cheaters especially in game like this with no proper security, but I disagree that people who claimed to have been hacked are all guilty.

    Me personally I have 2FA on all my accounts that offer it just in-case someone should attempt to get into them again, but a lot of people actually don't set this up I would assume or don't know how important it is, although this would do no good if its able to be bypassed in the game anyways just saying if.

    http://imgur.com/a/Lb9gx I hope this will help shed some light on how good their security really is if they can't get basic HTML and server auth's done right, then I assume can't say for sure perhaps they didn't get some other code right, and yes I reported this to them over 2+ months ago now it still wasn't fixed, now I know actual developers who design webservers for me and others and trust me security is tight the moment someone pings his site he knows their RL locations very top notch security we have compared to this. I did censor my email address from this.



    Ok, so!!!

    1) I don't know German law, but you are more than welcome to challenge them on it. However, even if it is German law, it's unlikely that they would be forced to disclose any information which could be detrimental to their business, security, or both and you would have a pretty good case that disclosing their evidence would compromise their security. 

    2) You certainly can spoof your IP address, and in the event that you do that and it coincides with a hack on your account which gets you a ban, then what do you want me to say? I would tend to believe that the vast majority of people are NOT spoofing their IP address, so if there are shenanigans going on and you are intentionally spoofing your IP address, then you could simply make yourself look more guilty. 

    Here! Let me give you another example. So I'm out drinking with my buddies. I leave a bar around 1AM and I'm driving home when I see a hitchhiker. It's a girl, so I feel bad, so I pick her up. Now in this hypothetical situation I'm unmarried (cuz I would never cheat on my wife), but we're driving along and this girl starts making out with me. We pull over right near her house and we do it in the car. Yes!! Score!! She's happy, I'm happy, she leaves to walk the rest of the way home and I drive off. The next day she turns up dead with my DNA on her, with a time frame that was within just minutes of me dropping her off, with a crowbar that just happened to I guess fall out of my car. What do you think my chances are of getting off? Probably not good.

    Reality! Sometimes innocent people go to jail!! However, the vast majority of times the system gets it right.

    3) I never said that all innocent people are guilty, I said that in order to get rid of all the bad apples, sometimes you have to accept that you'll throw out some good ones. I'm sure you're completely innocent and you're a very good person and that you've just fallen prey to the system they've set up. However, the system they've set up has obviously been set up in such a way that it will ban people with extreme prejudice. Most likely, people who get banned will have a problem with that. However, I assume that people who are still in the game will probably appreciate it. 

    Either way, I come back to the example given above. It's highly unlikely that they banned your account without some pretty damning evidence. Whether that was you or not doesn't really matter at this point. You might be part of the 0.01% of people who have been wrongly-convicted. Would 2FA have fixed this? Who knows!! However, I'm sure that if they had 2FA that it's entirely possible that someone could circumvent that, too, if they've compromised your system somehow. So, again, we're back to my example. It's a set of circumstances that I am simply unable to prove my way out of. All the evidence and logic points back to me. 
    Renoaku

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,615
    Kyleran said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Since this isn't the first time you've been hacked:
    nothing short of disgraceful the way trion has dealt with archeage,i bought a archeum founder soon as there went on sale and couldnt wait for the game to release,my acount was hacked last week and trion have not had the decency to reply to my ticket
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6463054/#Comment_6463054
    you might wanna run some system scans to see if you have a keylogger, or start thinking about who else you might be sharing account info with.
    Have to agree, multiple hacks point to the likelihood of a key logger or even an account sharing issue with "friends" as a probable cause.

    Or like an idiot friend of mine who reused passwords on different games..........After I had warned him many times not to do........
    Kyleran
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAMember EpicPosts: 7,615
    Rhymes with
    .....and.....?
    Mimes
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    edited July 27
    CrazKanuk said:

    Ok, so!!!

    1) I don't know German law, but you are more than welcome to challenge them on it. However, even if it is German law, it's unlikely that they would be forced to disclose any information which could be detrimental to their business, security, or both and you would have a pretty good case that disclosing their evidence would compromise their security. 

    2) You certainly can spoof your IP address, and in the event that you do that and it coincides with a hack on your account which gets you a ban, then what do you want me to say? I would tend to believe that the vast majority of people are NOT spoofing their IP address, so if there are shenanigans going on and you are intentionally spoofing your IP address, then you could simply make yourself look more guilty. 

    Here! Let me give you another example. So I'm out drinking with my buddies. I leave a bar around 1AM and I'm driving home when I see a hitchhiker. It's a girl, so I feel bad, so I pick her up. Now in this hypothetical situation I'm unmarried (cuz I would never cheat on my wife), but we're driving along and this girl starts making out with me. We pull over right near her house and we do it in the car. Yes!! Score!! She's happy, I'm happy, she leaves to walk the rest of the way home and I drive off. The next day she turns up dead with my DNA on her, with a time frame that was within just minutes of me dropping her off, with a crowbar that just happened to I guess fall out of my car. What do you think my chances are of getting off? Probably not good.

    Reality! Sometimes innocent people go to jail!! However, the vast majority of times the system gets it right.

    3) I never said that all innocent people are guilty, I said that in order to get rid of all the bad apples, sometimes you have to accept that you'll throw out some good ones. I'm sure you're completely innocent and you're a very good person and that you've just fallen prey to the system they've set up. However, the system they've set up has obviously been set up in such a way that it will ban people with extreme prejudice. Most likely, people who get banned will have a problem with that. However, I assume that people who are still in the game will probably appreciate it. 

    Either way, I come back to the example given above. It's highly unlikely that they banned your account without some pretty damning evidence. Whether that was you or not doesn't really matter at this point. You might be part of the 0.01% of people who have been wrongly-convicted. Would 2FA have fixed this? Who knows!! However, I'm sure that if they had 2FA that it's entirely possible that someone could circumvent that, too, if they've compromised your system somehow. So, again, we're back to my example. It's a set of circumstances that I am simply unable to prove my way out of. All the evidence and logic points back to me. 
    Thanks, yeah I get the point, I don't fully believe in the real world justice system here in the U.S either I would have to agree most the time it gets it right, however a very small percentage of those cases a innocent person does get put behind bars for many years only to find out later that they are indeed innocent, and sure they get money as a settlement, but they can never get their life which was ruined back from a mistake, and the only person who knows the truth is the higher power and the person themselves. This is why I can't serve on jury duty, because in my eyes there is too much corruption, and I can't be a judge over someone elses life, even with evidence there and reasonable doubt, just not something I can do unless I am 100% sure.

    And what I mean about the VPN thing is lets say I normally play legally in any game from my regular IP address, then I quit playing a few days or something and I decide to login to my own account using a VPN to change the IP address and lets say china for example, and then give all my stuff away, sell currency for Real Money or something, or even buy gold, and then I claim that my account was hacked by a gold seller, it would only have two matching IP addresses the legitimate one I normally play from, and the one in china for example.

    But I do find it shocking that any company would hold its customers entirely responsible for an account being compromised when the company itself does lack the security to even prevent a banned account from logging into their own site or service as I showed.

    Like I get it people are supposed to take reasonable steps to protect all their accounts and I do, but sometimes a person still gets hacked or an account compromise, even phished, or exploits via cookies and saved passwords etc, it happens, even when you take your computer into a repair shop, and they clone your drive for you, that can be used to compromise your accounts just saying a lot of people do have computer repairs and work done and use password save programs.

    I really believe even if its only 1% that such cases should be investigated and people given back their accounts especially if it doesn't happen very often at all for example 1 time in 4 years  or a single time in 10 years, people shouldn't be banned for life, and most good reputable companies don't do this.
    Post edited by Renoaku on
    GdemamiExcessionKyleranMrMelGibson
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Elmira, ONMember EpicPosts: 5,744
    Renoaku said:
    CrazKanuk said:

    Ok, so!!!

    1) I don't know German law, but you are more than welcome to challenge them on it. However, even if it is German law, it's unlikely that they would be forced to disclose any information which could be detrimental to their business, security, or both and you would have a pretty good case that disclosing their evidence would compromise their security. 

    2) You certainly can spoof your IP address, and in the event that you do that and it coincides with a hack on your account which gets you a ban, then what do you want me to say? I would tend to believe that the vast majority of people are NOT spoofing their IP address, so if there are shenanigans going on and you are intentionally spoofing your IP address, then you could simply make yourself look more guilty. 

    Here! Let me give you another example. So I'm out drinking with my buddies. I leave a bar around 1AM and I'm driving home when I see a hitchhiker. It's a girl, so I feel bad, so I pick her up. Now in this hypothetical situation I'm unmarried (cuz I would never cheat on my wife), but we're driving along and this girl starts making out with me. We pull over right near her house and we do it in the car. Yes!! Score!! She's happy, I'm happy, she leaves to walk the rest of the way home and I drive off. The next day she turns up dead with my DNA on her, with a time frame that was within just minutes of me dropping her off, with a crowbar that just happened to I guess fall out of my car. What do you think my chances are of getting off? Probably not good.

    Reality! Sometimes innocent people go to jail!! However, the vast majority of times the system gets it right.

    3) I never said that all innocent people are guilty, I said that in order to get rid of all the bad apples, sometimes you have to accept that you'll throw out some good ones. I'm sure you're completely innocent and you're a very good person and that you've just fallen prey to the system they've set up. However, the system they've set up has obviously been set up in such a way that it will ban people with extreme prejudice. Most likely, people who get banned will have a problem with that. However, I assume that people who are still in the game will probably appreciate it. 

    Either way, I come back to the example given above. It's highly unlikely that they banned your account without some pretty damning evidence. Whether that was you or not doesn't really matter at this point. You might be part of the 0.01% of people who have been wrongly-convicted. Would 2FA have fixed this? Who knows!! However, I'm sure that if they had 2FA that it's entirely possible that someone could circumvent that, too, if they've compromised your system somehow. So, again, we're back to my example. It's a set of circumstances that I am simply unable to prove my way out of. All the evidence and logic points back to me. 
    Thanks, yeah I get the point, I don't fully believe in the real world justice system here in the U.S either I would have to agree most the time it gets it right, however a very small percentage of those cases a innocent person does get put behind bars for many years only to find out later that they are indeed innocent, and sure they get money as a settlement, but they can never get their life which was ruined back from a mistake, and the only person who knows the truth is the higher power and the person themselves. This is why I can't serve on jury duty, because in my eyes there is too much corruption, and I can't be a judge over someone elses life, even with evidence there and reasonable doubt, just not something I can do unless I am 100% sure.

    And what I mean about the VPN thing is lets say I normally play legally in any game from my regular IP address, then I quit playing a few days or something and I decide to login to my own account using a VPN to change the IP address and lets say china for example, and then give all my stuff away, sell currency for Real Money or something, or even buy gold, and then I claim that my account was hacked by a gold seller, it would only have two matching IP addresses the legitimate one I normally play from, and the one in china for example.

    But I do find it shocking that any company would hold its customers entirely responsible for an account being compromised when the company itself does lack the security to even prevent a banned account from logging into their own site or service as I showed.

    Like I get it people are supposed to take reasonable steps to protect all their accounts and I do, but sometimes a person still gets hacked or an account compromise, even phished, or exploits via cookies and saved passwords etc, it happens, even when you take your computer into a repair shop, and they clone your drive for you, that can be used to compromise your accounts just saying a lot of people do have computer repairs and work done and use password save programs.

    I really believe even if its only 1% that such cases should be investigated and people given back their accounts especially if it doesn't happen very often at all for example 1 time in 4 years  or a single time in 10 years, people shouldn't be banned for life, and most good reputable companies don't do this.

    Yeah, I get what you're saying. I can appreciate it, but regardless, it's done for the good of their user base. We are only the court of public opinion. 

    Just FYI, Google is also extremely brutal with their adsense program. I got banned from that program due to a violation of the TOS I wasn't aware of. Nevertheless, it was a violation and as much as I bitched and complained about it, they still to this day won't re-instate my account (5 years later). What's funny is that this is a Google-specific rule and I've been operating with other affiliate programs for over a decade without issue, so why do they care? Not really for me to say. Basically I got fucked out of a couple hundred bucks and I can never go back because they have a zero tolerance policy. That being said, as an advertiser, I feel good knowing that people serving my ads aren't gaming the system...... or at least not overtly. 

    All the cases that you're giving would be considered by anyone as exceptional situations. So, again, if you get fucked then you get fucked. If you really love the game then re-buy it and get on with it. My suggestion would be to wait for Mobile 2FA if you were to return. 

    Crazkanuk

    ----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    CrazKanuk said:

    Yeah, I get what you're saying. I can appreciate it, but regardless, it's done for the good of their user base. We are only the court of public opinion. 

    Just FYI, Google is also extremely brutal with their adsense program. I got banned from that program due to a violation of the TOS I wasn't aware of. Nevertheless, it was a violation and as much as I bitched and complained about it, they still to this day won't re-instate my account (5 years later). What's funny is that this is a Google-specific rule and I've been operating with other affiliate programs for over a decade without issue, so why do they care? Not really for me to say. Basically I got fucked out of a couple hundred bucks and I can never go back because they have a zero tolerance policy. That being said, as an advertiser, I feel good knowing that people serving my ads aren't gaming the system...... or at least not overtly. 

    All the cases that you're giving would be considered by anyone as exceptional situations. So, again, if you get fucked then you get fucked. If you really love the game then re-buy it and get on with it. My suggestion would be to wait for Mobile 2FA if you were to return. 
    Hm im curious to what rule that is, because i've thought about using Google AD's for some products before, is there a rule about using Referal keys?

    Also yeah I get it but the problem with SBI told me if you create a new account and its been banned and they find out in any way its you they will ban that account as well and I assume this applies to even if an account gets hacked and they don't over-turn the ban so pretty much not worth investing another $100 or more into the game because that is what I would do if they might ban me again for nothing even if for example my account had have been hacked or something.
    Excession
  • drivecdrivec tulsa, OKMember UncommonPosts: 96
    edited July 27
    the op might want to check this site out(https://haveibeenpwned.com/) if he uses a password repeatably he could have had his account compromised from a company/game he has played previously. 

    edit: I now rely on password managers to help me use different passwords so I am not constantly using the same ones
    Post edited by drivec on
    laxie
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    drivec said:
    the op might want to check this site out(https://haveibeenpwned.com/) if he uses a password repeatably he could have had his account compromised from a company/game he has played previously. 

    edit: I now rely on password managers to help me use different passwords so I am not constantly using the same ones
    Ah thanks I forgot about that site mine actually has been hacked in a number of breaches listed with my info its amazing that people are able to use 3rd party sites like paste bin to leak compromised info that spammers use to send spam mails and such and it stays there anonymously no liability for it.
    Excession
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,812
    It today's climate, reusing the same passwords for multiple accounts is begging to be fucked.  Keepass is your friend:

    http://keepass.info/
    blueturtle13KyleranMrMelGibson
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    It today's climate, reusing the same passwords for multiple accounts is begging to be fucked.  Keepass is your friend:

    http://keepass.info/
    How good is keepass, if somone took an entire copy of my hard-drive for example would they be able to steal my account info and login?

    Just asking because I hear a number of people who don't trust certain computer companies that repair computers and some have been known to do this.
    Excession
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,812
    Renoaku said:
    It today's climate, reusing the same passwords for multiple accounts is begging to be fucked.  Keepass is your friend:

    http://keepass.info/
    How good is keepass, if somone took an entire copy of my hard-drive for example would they be able to steal my account info and login?

    Just asking because I hear a number of people who don't trust certain computer companies that repair computers and some have been known to do this.
    As far as I know, the encryption in Keepass is solid.  It was vetted by the ISO in the organization I work for and that dude is a freakin genius; he could probably hack NASA with an iPhone fer gawd's sake!
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    Renoaku said:
    It today's climate, reusing the same passwords for multiple accounts is begging to be fucked.  Keepass is your friend:

    http://keepass.info/
    How good is keepass, if somone took an entire copy of my hard-drive for example would they be able to steal my account info and login?

    Just asking because I hear a number of people who don't trust certain computer companies that repair computers and some have been known to do this.
    As far as I know, the encryption in Keepass is solid.  It was vetted by the ISO in the organization I work for and that dude is a freakin genius; he could probably hack NASA with an iPhone fer gawd's sake!
    Ah okay so do you know if someone stealing my harddrive would give them access to all my sites using keepass, or does it actually bind to things like hardware so that a thief can't simply access all your data?
    Excession
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,812
    Renoaku said:
    Renoaku said:
    It today's climate, reusing the same passwords for multiple accounts is begging to be fucked.  Keepass is your friend:

    http://keepass.info/
    How good is keepass, if somone took an entire copy of my hard-drive for example would they be able to steal my account info and login?

    Just asking because I hear a number of people who don't trust certain computer companies that repair computers and some have been known to do this.
    As far as I know, the encryption in Keepass is solid.  It was vetted by the ISO in the organization I work for and that dude is a freakin genius; he could probably hack NASA with an iPhone fer gawd's sake!
    Ah okay so do you know if someone stealing my harddrive would give them access to all my sites using keepass, or does it actually bind to things like hardware so that a thief can't simply access all your data?
    It's encrypted multiple times over.  Pretty much impossible to decrypt from what I understand.  If they don't have the Master Password to the database, they aren't going to be able to get to the data.
  • natpicknatpick stockton/ u.kMember UncommonPosts: 202
    well alot to take in there,didnt mean to start ww3 but seriously i have not traded gold/items nor anything in any games there is no reason for my acount to be banned but it was,still had no explanation from them but why would i.in 3 months next to no one will be be playing this game part from a few whales.read this to gain some insight into the devs minds. 

    http://www.pcgamer.com/how-albion-online-is-making-eves-ruthless-territory-battles-accessible-to-small-guilds/
    Torval

    image

  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 792
    edited July 27
    Well did you klick any links that was advertised ingame from fake GMs?
    Might want to read this.

    https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/61672-Important-Phishing-Warning/?postID=592252#post592252



    Post edited by Maurgrim on
  • btdtbtdt Member UncommonPosts: 98
    The ONLY way to ensure that your online account information is never compromised is to never create an online account to begin with.  Same is true for identity theft.  Identity theft happens because you HAVE TO share your information with someone in order to do something.  From banking, to paying bills, to applying for a loan.  Your information is put out there for all the world to see, should they have the perseverance to look for it.  Hell, you even give up your social security number to the enemy as part of the Geneva Convention.  

    All you can do is minimize your exposure, you can't eliminate it entirely.  Online games are especially vulnerable because people are in such a hurry to get online they will literally use the simplest login and password to remember to speed up the process.  They will tell the software to remember their credentials so that they don't even have to enter it.  They do stupid things like download add-ons that have a high likelihood of having malware attached to it just to gain them an advantage in game.  They aren't thinking about security they are thinking about getting in game.

    Common sense is your best defense but it's not that common... well beyond a legendary with the most unforgiving RNG on the planet.  You can spend a life time farming for it and still come up empty handed.
    Renoakulaxie
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,287
    edited July 27
    Yep exactly what happened with my WOW account I had no idea Add-Ons could contain malware back in the day but Blizzard determined a hacker compromised my account via Add-ons because I used to run a lot of them and they all came from curse.

    I really do hope that the hacked people actually get their accounts back, because if not it will just show what type of company this is given that reputable companies give accounts back when hacked.
    Post edited by Renoaku on
    Excession
  • KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXMember RarePosts: 1,583
    "Face. I, as a user of your services, would like to get acquainted with the evidentiary basis of the violation of the user agreement under item 4.5.1"

    Why do companies with hold this "evidence" from the accused violators?  Because this is the very information violators need so they don't get caught. 

    Every time a new anti-ID hacking scheme is put in place we see post talking about privacy violation.  But the only privacy being violated is that of account hackers.

    Multi Factor Authentication, is vital.
    KyleranMrMelGibson

    Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.

  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,812
    Konfess said:
    ....

    Multi Factor Authentication, is vital.
    Oh, definitely.  You at least want whatever e-mail is governing your accounts to require MFA to access.
Sign In or Register to comment.