Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 500,000 Digital Copies Sold Prior to Launch - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageOver 500,000 Digital Copies Sold Prior to Launch - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

Fortnite News - Fortnite Creative Director Darren Sugg sent out a tweet yesterday to reveal that the game had sold over 500,000 digital versions of the game prior to yesterday's Early Access launch. Of course, that doesn't include yesterday's sales or retail sales, so that number should be significantly higher.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Amathe

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited July 2017
    that is the tactic.
    hyper hype people up as much as possible before the game is released, get in as many sells as possible before players start spreading the word on how the game actually is.
    Thunder073strangeside

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    According to Epic, they didn't expect such a high turnout for pre-launch sales.  They had the servers down a whole day to scale up and reduce queues.  
    SBFord

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Well I see scrooge mcduck showed up. For someone who hates the game so much he sure posts about it alot.
    maskedweaselLazarus71strangeside[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    Well I see scrooge mcduck showed up. For someone who hates the game so much he sure posts about it alot.
    I must be jealous right? I really just want to play the game but mommy will not let me is that it?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Even though i want to play the game,i already see a major problem,it is designed to yet again be played like a race,people racing through playing 12 hours a day,then in 2 months nobody will want to play anymore.

This is such a repeating trend in EA games,2 months later,no more sales so the dev stops putting work into it,at least not any kind of effort you would expect from a game claiming to be in EARLY development.Early development means a LOT is to come right?Well let's hear what is to come,spell it out,let's see if Epic can step up and answer the question.
    Matter of fact i want to hear every single one of these devs tell us EXACTLY what is coming and the timeline expected,otherwise your game is NOT early access.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited July 2017
    Wizardry said:
    Even though i want to play the game,i already see a major problem,it is designed to yet again be played like a race,people racing through playing 12 hours a day,then in 2 months nobody will want to play anymore.

This is such a repeating trend in EA games,2 months later,no more sales so the dev stops putting work into it,at least not any kind of effort you would expect from a game claiming to be in EARLY development.Early development means a LOT is to come right?Well let's hear what is to come,spell it out,let's see if Epic can step up and answer the question.
    Matter of fact i want to hear every single one of these devs tell us EXACTLY what is coming and the timeline expected,otherwise your game is NOT early access.
    the term EA is really driving me nuts.

because I am reading your post and I dont know if Fortnite is an Electronic Arts games or if you are refering to EAG. I dont think you are refering to EAG because your description of the games is not remotely what early access games are like so fuck. hand to god its going to put me in the insane asylum.

all I know is that early access games are not as you are describing it and I should know I play almost exclusively early access titles now for the past 2 years

• UnCensoredgamerUnCensoredgamer Member CommonPosts: 1
    There are so many amazing things you can do. Here is what the Co-Op gameplay looks like
    slowpok
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    500k people purchased a F2P game...

This is such a screwed up industry.
    CecropiaJoseph_Kerr

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Yeah this one is odd. People pay to get the unfinished version, and then once it's good and done, everyone else gets it for free...
    TillerAvarix
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Forgrimm said:

Yeah this one is odd. People pay to get the unfinished version, and then once it's good and done, everyone else gets it for free...
    I'll wait to try the f2p version, but to each his own.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Epic Games is just following the formula that worked for Warframe, the Founder packs charging to play what was to be free-to-play game.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I can wait :smile: I have to say this is the first game of this type that has me wanting to play. 
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    My wife, 3 kids, and I have been playing this game since it "released" on Friday.  And while there are some parts to it I don't care for, or need altering, we have been having a blast playing it together. 

The gameplay loop is basically broken up into 3 main parts....

Gathering - Fairly simple, yet exciting and fun still.  You can "mine" everything you see, and the drops are randomized most of the time.  You must gather enough resources (some are harder to get than others) to prepare for the next phase...

Building - You must build a fort, each and every mission (there's also a persistent one called your Homebase) to defend from the varying waves of monsters that will try to get to the center.  The spawning areas of the mobs are random, and sometimes change midway through the encounter.  So you have to use your brain and try to figure out where the mobs will be mostly travelling, and set up traps in those areas.  Trying to create chokepoints as best as you can.  This phase of the gameplay loop is quite fun to play around with.  Then finally...

Defense - This is where your creations are put to the test.  And you and your friends will be scrambling around to kill the stragglers that made it around your traps.  Unfortunately is super easy for a long time before it becomes a real challenge. 

There's a lot of room for improvement IMO.  But do I regret buying 5 copies, and extras spent on "v-bucks"?  Heck no.  It's been addicting and crazy fun for the whole family! :)
    Nanfoodlemaskedweasel[Deleted User]sschrupp
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited July 2017

Forgrimm said:

I haven't seen anything in this game to indicate it's early access aside from the banner on the load screen. So far it's better than most of the gold games I've played the past few years.
    DMKano said:
    I dont get the hype about this at all.
    Has zero appeal to me.
    After Paragon didint do so hot, they were like - survival game - jump on the bandwagon!
    It's not really survival at all either. More tower defence/base building shooter. No food or water required, no real time limits aside from bonuses. Hurry! The zombies are coming! As soon as you push this button to invite them over . . . you pushed it! Are you sure? Ok, they'll come now.
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    i will have to wait till next year when it release's as F2P
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Forgrimm said:

yeah honestly I would have already picked up a copy or one of the multi-packs because it looks like it might be fun for a bit, but there's a huge part of me that just can't do it when I know that the game will literally be free shortly...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Th game does look fun but im to doubtfull about the games lifespan to actually try it. For now its pretty hyped but in a while? can see it become empty quite quick
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Th game does look fun but im to doubtfull about the games lifespan to actually try it. For now its pretty hyped but in a while? can see it become empty quite quick
    By the time it's free to play you'll have a better idea of how the game is lasting, and you'll be able to try risk free. The view for new decent looking games is pretty good this year, so that is against it. But I can see coming back to this games a lot. My teenage kids like it, so it might be the family game for a while.

By the way, has anyone noticed the Husks have pulled their human faces off like a hoodie that is hanging off the back of their necks? XD Pretty freaky despite the graphics. 

Forgrimm said:

I haven't seen anything in this game to indicate it's early access aside from the banner on the load screen. So far it's better than most of the gold games I've played the past few years.
    DMKano said:
    I dont get the hype about this at all.
    Has zero appeal to me.
    After Paragon didint do so hot, they were like - survival game - jump on the bandwagon!
    It's not really survival at all either. More tower defence/base building shooter. No food or water required, no real time limits aside from bonuses. Hurry! The zombies are coming! As soon as you push this button to invite them over . . . you pushed it! Are you sure? Ok, they'll come now.
    I am 99.99999999% positive the reason it has the 'early access' tag is so that they can charge you for a free to play game, and charge you more than average.

Funny how people complain about Steam Early Access and yet the vast majority of the time the game costs LESS in early access then it does after.
    Joseph_Kerr

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    SEANMCAD said:

I am 99.99999999% positive the reason it has the 'early access' tag is so that they can charge you for a free to play game, and charge you more than average.

Funny how people complain about Steam Early Access and yet the vast majority of the time the game costs LESS in early access then it does after.
    Yeah, the whole thing has gotten nuts. 

$60 for a new game + $15 for DLC!!! OMG what a rip off!

$250 for a founder's pack for a F2P game? OMG What an amazing deal, look at all these in-game perks I get!"

Or better yet:
    $5,000 to support this game on kickstarter? That's so awesome, they'll even let me name an NPC! Can't wait for 5 years to go by!

The further away a game is from completion, the more it's worth lol.
    Joseph_Kerr
    Rusque said:
    SEANMCAD said:

$250 for a founder's pack for a F2P game? OMG What an amazing deal, look at all these in-game perks I get!"

Or better yet:
    $5,000 to support this game on kickstarter? That's so awesome, they'll even let me name an NPC! Can't wait for 5 years to go by!

what blows my mind is that I am nearly positive the same people loosing their shit over the 'opportunity' to buy Fortnite 'before its released' are likely the very same people who criticize Steam Early Access games and if a game that didnt get the 'hyper hype hype' seal of approval was on Steam EAG that was to be free to play but charged they would have likely called fucking congress
    RusqueJoseph_Kerr

SEANMCAD said:
    Rusque said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Or better yet:

what blows my mind is that I am nearly positive the same people loosing their shit over the 'opportunity' to buy Fortnite 'before its released' are likely the very same people who criticize Steam Early Access games and if a game that didnt get the 'hyper hype hype' seal of approval was on Steam EAG that was to be free to play but charged they would have likely called fucking congress
    Considering that this game is a lot better than most early access games on steam its more of a non-issue here.  While the "secret" 250 dollar pack is really ridiculous, the buy in for fortnite is relatively inexpensive considering that the game is pretty much a full featured game now, whereas most early access games on steam are barely passable as games at all.

It's all about the companies putting out the games,  little indie companies are terrible at delivering, they stay in early access forever.  

But when Larian Studio put out Divinity Original Sin 2, they already had much of the first act playable, and since they actually produced something of note before, I knew it was a smart buy.

It's the same with Epic.  They are a developer that shows results.  

edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Rusque said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Or better yet:

Considering that this game is a lot better than most early access games o....
    stopped right there.

this is a bias:

'games on Steam Early Access are practicing horrible business practices by charging people for a game that is going to be Free to Play and on top of it instead of charging less that normal retail they are charging MORE than average retail' 
    'except for fortnite because its a good game'

you are so obviously hard core biased its ridiculous. far more than me
    (people make this argument REAGARDLESS of game quality, they never even bring it up)
    esc-joconnorJonnyp2

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Rusque said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Or better yet:

stopped right there.

Stopped right there. If you read my post you'd know everything you just wrote was wrong. 

edited July 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Rusque said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Or better yet:

stopped right there.

Stopped right there. If you read my post you'd know everything you just wrote was wrong. 
    your bias and close mindedness is so overwhelmingly it makes my lights flicker. 

next time I get into a debate with someone over ethics of Steam Early Access game developers I can assure you I will tell them this story
    esc-joconnor