Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well I tried ....

BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
But it is just not doing it for me.  

Fishing, usually one of my favs,  sucked.
Crafting,  still haven't figured it out, nor do I feel like trying.
Quests: ok but obviously not the point of this game as it is ridiculously easy to level just doing mindless grinding of mobs.
Guild: well I tried pretty hard to join one, had a couple of offers but no one explained the procedure and after a couple hours of switching servers and trying to find who I was talking to, I just gave up.

Love the world and the graphics.  UI is pretty cluttered though and I find it difficult to clean up.   I have to say I had much more fun with LoTRo, and with much less clutter.   I wish I still had the patience for these type of games but I guess it is time to hand over the reigns to the younger crowd.  

All I wanted was to explore a nice detailed world but this game is just too cluttered and obviously catering to the twitch crowd, that I can't even find a comfortable role where I fit in.   Never tried the trading, but that's the point.  It is one of those game where people will say, " well you didn't put in the work"  or " spend some time learning the game".  

Valid points, but like many here say, if a game doesn't grab you quickly, hanging around won't change much.  I played enough to level to 23 but really the desire to move forward is gone.  

Still looking for a Fallen Earth replacement and this wasn't it.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

bcbullyGdemamiTheScavenger

Comments

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited July 2017
    so you pretty much havent nailed what the game has to offer yet you still  want people want to know you tried ?

Why is it that in such a lovely Sunday in middle of summer you need this kind of attention? What is missing in your life ? What are your struggles? Wanna talk about it ?
    rena_ryuguxyzercrimewingoodMaurgrim
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Well a decent MMO that I can enjoy is missing at the moment.   I don't really need the attention, I don't post here much anymore.

I am not saying this is a bad game.  It is a game I want to like.   I guess I will just have to keep struggling as you say.  

Perhaps there is a time when old gamers just need to fade away.   MMO's just seem to be becoming more complex and less accessible to to the scummy casuals like myself.   

Thanks for your input anyway.
    bcbullyGdemami

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    To be fair, he only played for an hour or so, getting to level 23 is easy and fast given that its still in tutorial mode at that point, levelling is faster though via grinding, because questing doesn't give you combat xp usually, just contrib xp which doesn't level you up, it just increases your contribution points, which are used for unlocking nodes, and, unlocking buildings for crafting etc. though at level 23 you wouldn't really be in a position to do much crafting as you wouldn't have gained enough contribution points to do much beyond 'maybe' unlocking resource nodes and maybe a home for you to make beer in, which isn't a bad start for crafting as it takes a 'lot' of contribution points to invest in different nodes and buildings to even begin crafting anything worthwhile, once you have got to a high enough level to grind contrib xp, mansha's etc have numerous quests there that you can grind contrib xp from, but you have to be over level 40 or so to even be able to do that.
    As for joining Guilds, it sounds like OP got confused about joining one, easy enough though, you can only join a guild by being on the same channel as the invite is sent, normally a guild will have a 'home' channel that they use for all guild gathering missions etc. the top right of the screen has the 'channel' you are on, by clicking on it, you can then select a different channel to move to, handy for when you want to find an 'open' grind spot too tbh, for new players they are better off sticking to the Olvia channels as they are the ones with the 100% xp bonus, which only lasts a couple of weeks i think? that they can be accessed by new players, this is usually more than enough to get to level 50 with 2 or 3 different toons.
    Back to crafting, in order to craft things you need resources, gathering takes energy, a new player at level 23 probably has barely 50 energy, and that gets used up fast, production skills that process those resources fortunately do not use energy at all, which is a good reason to invest contribution points in various wood nodes, if you need ash/maple etc. than to go gather it yourself, though at higher levels when you have more energy, over 100 at least, then thats probably the time to manually grind those gathering levels, personal preference that is, and for guild gathering missions, you really  need lots of energy! however to work those gathering nodes, you need workers, and you can only have 1 worker in each town without investing contribution points into buildings that 'house' workers, personally i think starting off with a potato resource node, or a corn resource node for your first worker is a good idea, you need to make beer because workers need energy themselves to do anything, and beer is the easiest and most accessible, so to speak, way of feeding them, only to make beer you need to unlock a residence for you to put down a 'cooking utensil' in.
    Anyway, the first 50 levels are effectively the game in tutorial mode, the quests are designed to teach you more about the game mechanics, and gradually introduce you into how to level up your equipment, there are various rewards that you gain in the process, from energy levels, which you need, to contribution points which you most definitely need, and it often unlocks different abilities, and rewards of black stones and gear etc. which you can pretty much never have too many of. These are pretty basic things, but joining the right guild for a new player would have made it easier to find out these things, which are barely a fraction honestly, of the things you will learn in your journey to 50, although, staying at 49 means you don't have to join in the PVP, though its not nearly as big a deal as some make out, most PVP'ers are involved in either guild wars, or node wars, or both, random gankers face a very heavy penalty for doing so, even if the target is over level 50, if you haven't flagged yourself for PVP then anyone attacking you takes a massive karma hit, this is not by accident as the game does encourage PVE play as well as PVP, and if you hit negative karma, then the guards 'everywhere' will kill you on sight, so no handy visits to the town for repairs or selling stuff, or accessing your 'bank' though its always amusing to watch one of them try :p
    KyleranXarkowingood
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited July 2017

BDO may not be for everyone, but I applaud it for what it is. It's something different from the rest. I am enjoying a change of pace in an mmorpg while I await the release of some games I am interested in more. Sadly they are still some time to come.

I found the secret to learning how to enjoy BDO is to approach it with no preconceptions and learn how to play it for the game that it is, and it's a different sort of beast. Also, get ready to learn a whole new skill set, far different than most modern mmos offer.
    KyleranTokkenwingoodAzaron_Nightblade

You stay sassy!

Phry said:
    To be fair, he only played for an hour or so, getting to level 23 is easy and fast given that its still in tutorial mode at that point, levelling is faster though via grinding, because questing doesn't give you combat xp usually, just contrib xp which doesn't level you up, it just increases your contribution points, which are used for unlocking nodes, and, unlocking buildings for crafting etc. though at level 23 you wouldn't really be in a position to do much crafting as you wouldn't have gained enough contribution points to do much beyond 'maybe' unlocking resource nodes and maybe a home for you to make beer in, which isn't a bad start for crafting as it takes a 'lot' of contribution points to invest in different nodes and buildings to even begin crafting anything worthwhile, once you have got to a high enough level to grind contrib xp, mansha's etc have numerous quests there that you can grind contrib xp from, but you have to be over level 40 or so to even be able to do that.
    As for joining Guilds, it sounds like OP got confused about joining one, easy enough though, you can only join a guild by being on the same channel as the invite is sent, normally a guild will have a 'home' channel that they use for all guild gathering missions etc. the top right of the screen has the 'channel' you are on, by clicking on it, you can then select a different channel to move to, handy for when you want to find an 'open' grind spot too tbh, for new players they are better off sticking to the Olvia channels as they are the ones with the 100% xp bonus, which only lasts a couple of weeks i think? that they can be accessed by new players, this is usually more than enough to get to level 50 with 2 or 3 different toons.
    Back to crafting, in order to craft things you need resources, gathering takes energy, a new player at level 23 probably has barely 50 energy, and that gets used up fast, production skills that process those resources fortunately do not use energy at all, which is a good reason to invest contribution points in various wood nodes, if you need ash/maple etc. than to go gather it yourself, though at higher levels when you have more energy, over 100 at least, then thats probably the time to manually grind those gathering levels, personal preference that is, and for guild gathering missions, you really  need lots of energy! however to work those gathering nodes, you need workers, and you can only have 1 worker in each town without investing contribution points into buildings that 'house' workers, personally i think starting off with a potato resource node, or a corn resource node for your first worker is a good idea, you need to make beer because workers need energy themselves to do anything, and beer is the easiest and most accessible, so to speak, way of feeding them, only to make beer you need to unlock a residence for you to put down a 'cooking utensil' in.
    Anyway, the first 50 levels are effectively the game in tutorial mode, the quests are designed to teach you more about the game mechanics, and gradually introduce you into how to level up your equipment, there are various rewards that you gain in the process, from energy levels, which you need, to contribution points which you most definitely need, and it often unlocks different abilities, and rewards of black stones and gear etc. which you can pretty much never have too many of. These are pretty basic things, but joining the right guild for a new player would have made it easier to find out these things, which are barely a fraction honestly, of the things you will learn in your journey to 50, although, staying at 49 means you don't have to join in the PVP, though its not nearly as big a deal as some make out, most PVP'ers are involved in either guild wars, or node wars, or both, random gankers face a very heavy penalty for doing so, even if the target is over level 50, if you haven't flagged yourself for PVP then anyone attacking you takes a massive karma hit, this is not by accident as the game does encourage PVE play as well as PVP, and if you hit negative karma, then the guards 'everywhere' will kill you on sight, so no handy visits to the town for repairs or selling stuff, or accessing your 'bank' though its always amusing to watch one of them try :p
    Hey thanks for the advice Phry, lots of helpful stuff in that wall of text. I probably have about 20- 30 hours into the game.   My attempt at guild joining went pretty much as you said.  I was hoping that joining would help with figuring some stuff out but even that turned into a frustrating experience.  

Not sure I am a big fan of "contribution points".   When it comes to crafting, I much prefer just gathering my stuff and doing it.  Worrying about how many points I have or how to get them, seems a little irksome.   And crafting is usually my main focus in an MMO.

Seems this game has a bit of a learning curve, which I appreciate.   I find it all a bit muddled but that is probably because I prefer things simple in a game.  Or at least intuitive.  I dislike having to stop in a game, to look at a wiki, or some database to try and figure out what I should be doing.   Thats the main reason I thought the guild was a good idea.  

Anyway, I will likely grind away until 50 or so, and see what I think.   It hasn't been a bad experience,  mainly because the world is interesting, but the gameplay hasn't grabbed me at all.
    Time will tell I guess.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    But it is just not doing it for me.  

Fishing, usually one of my favs,  sucked.
    Crafting,  still haven't figured it out, nor do I feel like trying.
    Quests: ok but obviously not the point of this game as it is ridiculously easy to level just doing mindless grinding of mobs.
    Guild: well I tried pretty hard to join one, had a couple of offers but no one explained the procedure and after a couple hours of switching servers and trying to find who I was talking to, I just gave up.

Love the world and the graphics.  UI is pretty cluttered though and I find it difficult to clean up.   I have to say I had much more fun with LoTRo, and with much less clutter.   I wish I still had the patience for these type of games but I guess it is time to hand over the reigns to the younger crowd.  

All I wanted was to explore a nice detailed world but this game is just too cluttered and obviously catering to the twitch crowd, that I can't even find a comfortable role where I fit in.   Never tried the trading, but that's the point.  It is one of those game where people will say, " well you didn't put in the work"  or " spend some time learning the game".  

Valid points, but like many here say, if a game doesn't grab you quickly, hanging around won't change much.  I played enough to level to 23 but really the desire to move forward is gone.  

Still looking for a Fallen Earth replacement and this wasn't it.

Why  should we need to know this?  I give you 10 attention points.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I see some VERY insulting people that simply cannot accept one person's viewpoint of a game.

So where is mmorpg forum moderation?
    people should not feel defensive or afraid to make a thread without being called an attention seeker or insulting his viewpoints.
    If you have a viewpoint or a counter argument,state it WITHOUT the insulting demeanor.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Some good advice from Phry there. If you like crafting though, Cooking is a much easier way to get CP than running quests in general. Each time you make something, you have a good chance of getting random byproducts that you can turn in for stuff - one of the rewards being CP. The others are useful as well. One type gives you silver directly, another gives you milk, which is very useful for a lot of cooking recipes, while the others give cooking xp and beer (free beer's never a bad thing!).

Fishing is mostly an AFK activity that's good for money. I personally detest the mini game that comes with active fishing, so I don't do that all too often. You probably know this by now, but if you just let it do its thing, it'll auto catch the fish (or whatever else you've caught) after 3 min. If you generally enjoy active fishing on other games, give harpoon fishing a try at some point. The mini game that comes with it is entirely different. But you'll need a certain rank in fishing before you can do it, plus a boat, since harpoon fishing is only possible out in the ocean.

If you like crafting, also make sure you edit your quest settings to show all available quests. They locked this feature behind a level 20 requirement as to not confuse the poor noobs too much, but you're past that now. That'll let you grab life skill quests along the way, which help explain how things work, and give you some crafting xp and materials in the process. You can also summon your black spirit and click the "Guide" button. From the next interface you can select a life skill you're interested in, and he'll send you to an NPC that gives a quest of that particular profession.

For a quick energy refill, running the daily quests around Heidel and Calpheon is a good thing to do (plus some CP in the process), as well as unlocking the Olvia dailies - which are all life skill focused. http://dulfy.net/2016/04/22/black-desert-olvia-life-skill-contribution-dailies-guide/
    It takes a while to get the hang of the crafting system, but it's fun once you do. Profitable as well, once you get into Imperial trading and/or regular trading. The richest players in the game are traders for example. If that interests you, you'll want to grab a wagon off the MP, or craft one yourself at some point. There's tons of Youtube videos out there on the subject as well, and on other ways to make good silver through life skills. Incendar's one of the people that makes tons of money through crafting, and that has a lot of videos and helpful charts on the matter; http://www.incendar.com/index.php

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Some good advice from Phry there. If you like crafting though, Cooking is a much easier way to get CP than running quests in general. Each time you make something, you have a good chance of getting random byproducts that you can turn in for stuff - one of the rewards being CP. The others are useful as well. One type gives you silver directly, another gives you milk, which is very useful for a lot of cooking recipes, while the others give cooking xp and beer (free beer's never a bad thing!).

Fishing is mostly an AFK activity that's good for money. I personally detest the mini game that comes with active fishing, so I don't do that all too often. You probably know this by now, but if you just let it do its thing, it'll auto catch the fish (or whatever else you've caught) after 3 min. If you generally enjoy active fishing on other games, give harpoon fishing a try at some point. The mini game that comes with it is entirely different. But you'll need a certain rank in fishing before you can do it, plus a boat, since harpoon fishing is only possible out in the ocean.

If you like crafting, also make sure you edit your quest settings to show all available quests. They locked this feature behind a level 20 requirement as to not confuse the poor noobs too much, but you're past that now. That'll let you grab life skill quests along the way, which help explain how things work, and give you some crafting xp and materials in the process. You can also summon your black spirit and click the "Guide" button. From the next interface you can select a life skill you're interested in, and he'll send you to an NPC that gives a quest of that particular profession.

For a quick energy refill, running the daily quests around Heidel and Calpheon is a good thing to do (plus some CP in the process), as well as unlocking the Olvia dailies - which are all life skill focused. http://dulfy.net/2016/04/22/black-desert-olvia-life-skill-contribution-dailies-guide/
    It takes a while to get the hang of the crafting system, but it's fun once you do. Profitable as well, once you get into Imperial trading and/or regular trading. The richest players in the game are traders for example. If that interests you, you'll want to grab a wagon off the MP, or craft one yourself at some point. There's tons of Youtube videos out there on the subject as well, and on other ways to make good silver through life skills. Incendar's one of the people that makes tons of money through crafting, and that has a lot of videos and helpful charts on the matter; http://www.incendar.com/index.php
    Also interesting and helpful Azaron, thanks.

I agree that I thought the fishing game was just ridiculously hard to do manually, and contributed nothing to the feel of catching a fish.  I imagine it might have got better with improved equipment and skill, but the initial frustration is so high, why would you bother.  Don't really like that you can do it AFK either.  Those throngs of players cluttering the beach looked pretty goofy.  Sounds like I will have to give cooking a shot though.

Also I had no idea about the quest editor.  Need to take a look at that for sure!

Yes, I figured trading was where I would spend my energies but it looks like I have a fair bit of research to do yet.  I hate research ;)  

As a Canadian I have to apologize ( Sorry!) to the people that feel this is attention seeking.  My initial post and thread title probably didn't help.  I try to give all MMO's a fair shake and I understand quite well, that all MMO's are not for all people.   But this is not some indie MMO with a low budget, and I just felt that with the scope and polish that comes with an AAA MMO, that I would find it mostly appealing, and although possibly not a favorite,  at least worthy of some solid entertainment.  To this point it has kind of failed me there.

But perhaps I am just to naive to think that if it is big and popular, it will be fun ( for me I mean).  That has usually been my experience, but I guess it maybe raised my expectations too much.  Anyway that is my explanation for this post.  It has been helpful and I will definitely give it another chance.   Thanks to Phry and Azaron, I have some clearer objectives now.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Understandable. There something that isn't quite there. It's like it almost does it but not quite. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.