Surprised?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,811
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well, to me it would be the game called: This War of Mine - It greatly impacts my point of view and perspective about the conception of war.

Wars or War themed games is about you are the “chosen one”, super elite soldiers, carry a whole arsenal from a handgun to rocket Launcher, go out there and eliminate the “bad guys”.

Now you are a civilian, stuck in a war, and try to survive. You got tons of problem to deal with, food, medicine, safety, how to organize your shelter and divide the task, tough decision to make... This is very close to how it will be if you are actually stuck in a war.

This game has totally changed my mind about how the war would be if I ever had to be a part of ones. Strongly recommend everyone should give it a try.

to that point 7 Days to Die challenged my conception of permanence and the value that can come from loss.
    Concretely my first base which I spent 7 hours building got destroyed by zombies and after taking a break to consume that loss I was even more compelled by the challenge then I was before. So the thought that in a game the progress you make should always move forward in order for the game to be compelling was challenged. loss can become compelling
    Without the risk of real loss there can be no real feel of victory, or at least how I view playing games.
    Sovrath

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 16,435
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well, to me it would be the game called: This War of Mine - It greatly impacts my point of view and perspective about the conception of war.

Wars or War themed games is about you are the “chosen one”, super elite soldiers, carry a whole arsenal from a handgun to rocket Launcher, go out there and eliminate the “bad guys”.

Now you are a civilian, stuck in a war, and try to survive. You got tons of problem to deal with, food, medicine, safety, how to organize your shelter and divide the task, tough decision to make... This is very close to how it will be if you are actually stuck in a war.

This game has totally changed my mind about how the war would be if I ever had to be a part of ones. Strongly recommend everyone should give it a try.

to that point 7 Days to Die challenged my conception of permanence and the value that can come from loss.
    Concretely my first base which I spent 7 hours building got destroyed by zombies and after taking a break to consume that loss I was even more compelled by the challenge then I was before. So the thought that in a game the progress you make should always move forward in order for the game to be compelling was challenged. loss can become compelling
    Without the risk of real loss there can be no real feel of victory, or at least how I view playing games.
    I used to think perma-death and game saving without your choice to save to be retarded. I get it now, you loose that base, there is no re-load.
    Kyleran

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cameltosiscameltosis ipswichMember EpicPosts: 1,737
    Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Game always got good reviews, I liked the setting, gameplay videos looked ok. But, man, I really didn't enjoy the initial experience. I don't like stories in my computer games, they never work well, and the gameplay for the first 5 hours was pretty shit. I was also even less motivated to play as I got the game free with a CPU. 

However, on my 3rd attempt I tried to push through. I would play the game for 45 minutes during my lunch breaks, rather than playing at home, and this allowed me to progress. Once I hit around hour 7, I'd progressed enough to reach newer, larger zones and unlock more skills and equipment which in turn improved the gameplay. I still never really cared about the story but would always challenge myself to move through each building / zone without setting off alarms. 

That's pretty much the only one I can think of. I don't even know why I persevered with Deus Ex, I was probably just skint at the time and couldn't afford new games. Most of the time, if I'm not enjoying the game within a few hours then thats it, im off and don't come back. MMOs are a slight exception - I hate the leveling experience so will play for days / weeks not really enjoying it in order to reach the content I do enjoy - endgame. But, I know in advance what to expect from endgame which gives the motivation to power through. In single player games, no guarantee that I'll start enjoying it later. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 16,435
    RimWorld

I have been putting off this game for a looong time. Many of my favorite channels have lots of videos on this, a lot play in my 'ecosystem' but the graphics just really put me off.

well I finally got in and am hooked, took me 2 years of avoiding it.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 17,097
    edited July 31
    Trove - i thought it would be a cheap Minecraft ripoff.

After almost 3 years(played since alpha 0.0.1) I still play it daily.
    Post edited by DMKano on
  • HatefullHatefull Member RarePosts: 1,474
    SEANMCAD said:
    Have you ever played a game you thought you would not like only to discover you really liked it alot. Lets say after maybe 20 hours of play
    Rarely, but it does happen. My latest was WH40K eternal crusade. I got it knowing I would hate it and it turns out it is a neat little lobby shooter. Nothing special mind you, pretty much your run of the mill shooter, but the maps are made well, there is a healthy player base and for whatever reason, it is very fun.

I also started DNL with the same mind set and as it turns out, I am a bit surprised by it as well. We will see how this turns out, but thus far (only like 10 hours played) it is pretty ok.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Greenwich, CTMember RarePosts: 4,169
    Depending on what you are looking for in a game loss can be fun.  I recently played some old Nintendo games called Ghouls n Ghosts and Gradius.  

They are not long games, but the fact that you only get a certain number of tries before you have to start over makes things very difficult to progress.  You basically have to master the pattern to win.  Some old MMOs were kind of like this as well, but they were quite a bit longer.  

The main issue here is that it's much more difficult to get through an entire area or game without making a mistake than it is to constantly restart at the exact place you made a mistake.  Having to get only one thing right in succession is a lot easier than having to get many things right.  

Example 1
    You have 4 lives and have to start over after that.

Example 2
    You have unlimited lives and can always start at your last mistake.

In Example 1 you get 4 tries to make in all the way through the game and you get to start where you made your last mistake, but if you make more than 4 mistakes you have to start over.  In this example, you have to master the different areas because you will need to have a fairly high success rate throughout the game.

In Example 2 you can restart from your last mistake whenever you would like to.  Since each little encounter in the game is encapsulated you haven't really mastered anything.  You have beaten each individual encounter, but unless you can confidently beat it on a consistent basis it hasn't really been mastered.  You could have just gotten lucky to get past each of these encounters.  

In the first example, it's highly unlikely you would get lucky enough to defeat all the encounters in succession without losing more than 4 times.  It's more likely you would have played through each encounter enough to have learned its pattern and achieve a high success rate.

This really depends on your definition of fun.  I think it would be difficult to argue that it isn't harder.
  • RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Undertale: Totally broke my expectations. I thought I would get bored watching the 8 bit graphics and playing some minigame style battles but damn that game is awesome. Gotta say the music really makes that game phenomenal <3

Wildstar: I tried it in beta but wasn't really impressed and only joined the launch because few of my friends wanted to play it. After some hours I realized how fun and goofy the game actually is and the combat is fun. The housing system was amazing and I loved to go and see what kind of crazy creations other people had made.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 canyon lake, CAMember RarePosts: 1,247
    SEANMCAD said:
    Have you ever played a game you thought you would not like only to discover you really liked it alot. Lets say after maybe 20 hours of play
    I honestly can't remember anything like that.
    blueturtle13

• AethaerynAethaeryn Woodstock, ONMember UncommonPosts: 2,567
    I thought BDO was absolute trash and slogged through it after watching some Youtube videos. . once I got past the controls. . the voice overs not matching text and the interactive combat I enjoyed it a lot.

I thought Mortal Online was going to be the Schtuff and logged countless hours in alpha / beta. . it got worse and didn't pan out at all.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,183
    edited August 7
    Sometimes I'll buy a game and it will turn me off after the first 15 mins. of play.  I'll come back to it months or even years later and play it like an addiction, even get the DLC.  It's like it took my brain that long to get ready to play it.

Actually, Half-Life was one of the games.  Got to the middle of it and just dropped it.  Came back a year later and finished it and played and loved the entire series after that.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"Change is the only constant."

• MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I just recently discovered a MOBA game called "Heroes Evolved". My first thought was like "ew a copycat of LOL". But after some plays it turned out that I liked it so much!! Maybe the champions appearance is to my liking, even better than LOL champions. And the playing style is the combination of LOL and DOTA but is much easier to play. The skins are excellent, cause I also love Anime so you know.
    One more interesting thing is that this game also has RPG plays. You will use the champions with their skills to farm level, find good items,...
    Both MOBA and RPG style in 1 game.

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    When I first played Morrowind, I actually hated it. It then became one of my favorate games of all time.
  • FlemFlem BrisbaneMember UncommonPosts: 2,844
    Technomancer. Was really surprised how much i liked it. Only got it because it was cheap, there was no advertising around it just happened to come across it whilst browsing the xbox marketplace. Now im hooked, kinda reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
    No.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member EpicPosts: 18,210
    SEANMCAD said:
    If I expect not to like a game, then why would I play it at all, let alone for 20+ hours?  I don't have time to play all of the games that sound like they could be good, let alone to make time for ones that don't.
    blueturtle13
  • Tindale111Tindale111 croydonMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Would have to be Dark and light have only tried it on single player at the moment, but having fun building a base. very grindy game but you level up a lot of skills to keep it interesting don't know how long ill play it for but can honestly say I'm pleasantly surprised at the moment .