Surprised?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 15,078
Have you ever played a game you thought you would not like only to discover you really liked it alot. Lets say after maybe 20 hours of play

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

Current Ignore List: postlarval, cameltosis, VengeSunsoar

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,571
    I happens even though the opposite is more often true. Some games take a while before you get into and I might of course have missed some good games due to trying it a few hours and quitting.

Still, in 90% of the cases, if I don't like the first hour I wont like the game more. Then there are the few that just get better and better as you play.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 13,739
    Sometimes. I almost always find something interesting about a game even if I don't like the overall experience. Very rarely do I buy something that I just go "ugh" wtf. The only two that come to mind off hand are Star Trek (2013 single player) and Gone Home.

I found a fun little game yesterday called Kingdoms and Castles. It's a simple little builder that offers casual and challenging modes.

I only have 38 minutes gameplay so far but I enjoyed it. The graphics sort of look like Trove. It's easy for short plays.

It's $10 on GoG and Steam.
    https://www.gog.com/game/kingdoms_castles

http://store.steampowered.com/app/569480/Kingdoms_and_Castles/

Artist: U2
    Album: War (Remastered)
    Featured Tracks: Seconds, "40"
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,705
    Torval said:
    Sometimes. I almost always find something interesting about a game even if I don't like the overall experience. Very rarely do I buy something that I just go "ugh" wtf. The only two that come to mind off hand are Star Trek (2013 single player) and Gone Home.

I found a fun little game yesterday called Kingdoms and Castles. It's a simple little builder that offers casual and challenging modes.

I only have 38 minutes gameplay so far but I enjoyed it. The graphics sort of look like Trove. It's easy for short plays.

It's $10 on GoG and Steam.
    https://www.gog.com/game/kingdoms_castles

http://store.steampowered.com/app/569480/Kingdoms_and_Castles/

I saw that Kingdoms and Castles game on my front page on Steam.  I bought a few strategy games during the Summer Sale so now Steam thinks I'm a strategy whore I guess.  I'll probably pick this up at some point.

Torval
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 13,739
    Yeah, they got me the same way. It was only $10 and the reviews that made sense seemed positive. I've gotten pretty good at reading through the Steam reviews and gleaning the important points. At least I think so. :lol:
    Kyleran
    Artist: U2
    Album: War (Remastered)
    Featured Tracks: Seconds, "40"
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXMember EpicPosts: 15,078
    Here is an example of both. In my example I will use 'watching hours of video' as 'getting the game'

The kickstarter video I saw for 7 days to die years ago I was very impressed with but the game itself didnt seem to me to be that intresting, zombies fighting is really something I dont want to do. But then I watched some videos and it grew on me, it took hours though, and now its one of my favorite game of all time.

Project Zombiod - again...zombies...horrible graphics...clunky controls..but all the youtube channels I watched had plenty of videos about the game I would watch those videos. I could not get into it. no matter how opened minded I tried to be, I got the game, same thing..just could not get into it.

I am not making a point in all this just sharing

Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 12,696
    No because that would mean i did no homework and just bought the game on a whim.that has happened a few times and those times the games were far worse than i imagined.

I look for game play,animations,tactics and character design/depth,i use that as a very strong base to determine if i should look at the game beyond 5 minutes.

Po_gg

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    No because that would mean i did no homework and just bought the game on a whim.that has happened a few times and those times the games were far worse than i imagined.

I look for game play,animations,tactics and character design/depth,i use that as a very strong base to determine if i should look at the game beyond 5 minutes.

yeah i tend to do a lot of research as well and that almost always pays off. rarely do I get a game that doesnt meet my expectations. StarMade held me for longer then I thought it would but it ended up not keeping my attention. I like Voxel games..but ones that do not smooth out anything like that I just cant do it....just cant.

• NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,151
    Far Cry Blood Dragon. I thought it would be "another far cry" but they went deep in the 90's dumb action movie bit - and it payed off. The game is amazing just by its setting and cheesy dialogues.

Tyranny. Loved the dialogue options. The most "do whatever the hell you feel like" CRPG ever made. Someone said something, anything, feels like punching him/her for reason? Go on. Do you feel like betraying every character in every possible situation? All power to you.

Child of Light. I thought would be another streamlined watered down RPG... and I found pure art.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Best. Game. Ever. Made. Period. Don't read about it, just play it.

Gone Home. From those "interactive experiences" this one takes the cake for me. I starting with a lot of preconception about what to expect - and amazingly the game itself plays around (and with) it. The game expects you to expect something and slap you in the face. Really well done storytelling.

Sacred. Someone showed it to me saying "it's like Diablo 2" - and like any drug users I was in a bad phase, in abstinence of collecting my sets on D2 and said "nothing beats d2 high"... Oh boy I was wrong. I love everything about this game, and love the sequel. And the love came after I played it for a while and saw the world map... And the option to co-op a campaign in an open world. It blew me away. I made a lan party with around 6 friends and we all loged in the same "server" but the wonder came from the fact that nobody is forced to follow one another. People started to group randomly and go in random directions and  found amazing things to explore and hidden bosses, dragons, treasures and we were just shouting out loud "Hey! Oh my god! Oh my god! There is a giant spider north! Help me! Arrrrgh!" while the others laughed "Dude, chill out, we are killing an Undead Dragon at the desert" and people just got off their computers to check it out in our monitors. Thats what adventuring is to me. And this game nails it in every aspect.

Skyrim. Surprisingly I hated every concept shown before launch about TES:V. I hated the health regeneration, hated having no classes, hated the UI (no bars to keybind!?). Then I saw how similar to GURPS it is, and just shut up. Now I follow the Philosophy School of "Mod Until you Break it".

Deadly Premonition. It is weird, but in a good way.

Shadowrun Series (the new one, with 2 stand alone expansions). People were saying it was easy, short and kinda shallow... And the first entry kinda is. The second, Dragonfall, gets better and better... but, oh boy, Hong Kong is the best adaptation of Shadowrun to any media ever made. It is amazing. Plays amazing, the story is amazing. It touches every single aspect of what Shadowrun is as a setting.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction. I have all Splinter Cell. I love the series. When they announced Conviction I got really mad. Too much action nonsense and too little tactical infiltration. It turns out the game actually is really really good. The action nonsensical bits are just small pasts and probably used just for marketing (to reach out for mainstream gamers). The game itself is Splinter Cell all over, but with good control scheme. I KNOW RIGHT?!?!

Warhammer: End of Times - Vermintide. "Affff... L42 clone". Yeah it is, actually. But it has depth and mechanics to a point it becomes it's own thing, and to it's merit it does everything good about L4D gameplay + new exciting things following the same quality standards. And the company really listen to feedback and adjust the game in patches.
    immodium

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • timeraidertimeraider BredaMember UncommonPosts: 651
    Havent told anyone this but.. Witch It.
    I never thought i would like it after seeing it was a cartoonised prophunt game.
    Tried it regardless just for funsies and i really did get surprised. Played it for the coming 5 hours before i had to eat because it was alot more fun than expected for sure XD

Everyone probably has these moments whereby you unconsiously need a certain game while in that mood and you randomly stumble upon one only to feel your soul get its satisfaction ;D
    Want a new MMORPG in your life?
    Try taking a look at Ashes of Creation
    Warning! Referallink!
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 3,949
    SEANMCAD said:
    Have you ever played a game you thought you would not like only to discover you really liked it alot. Lets say after maybe 20 hours of play
    Can't remember, maybe happened back in the '80s but pretty unlikely. I'm with @Wizardry on this one, and doing my "homework" beforehand. Time is way more valuable to waste on games I know I won't like, so 20 hours in "a game you thought you would not like" - nope.
    If I think I wouldn't like it, I don't touch it in the first place, easy as that. :wink:

It doesn't mean there are no surprises, though. The most notable was maybe Her story... I started it with the expectations of an interesting / good investigation game, and by the end I was totally amazed. The design, the narrative structure, the whole idea... awesome.
  • VrikaVrika FinlandMember RarePosts: 4,070
    edited July 24
    No. I wouldn't be playing if I didn't think I'd like it.

The opposite has happened too often, though. Especially with F2P games that try to suck you in, then present you with a giant paywall.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• LithuanianLithuanian vilniusMember UncommonPosts: 312
    Not after 20 hours...say, from third try. I did not believe I would find it so attractive.
    Lord of the rings online.
    1st try: Lotro - ok, let's try Elf, let's try archer, craaaap - why  do I die so soon?
    2nd try: Lotro -ok, let's try Dwarf - oh my, what's this mess about?
    3rd try: Lotro - ok, let's try Human...ok, this is for me, this is really for me.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Twigwarren, WestfarthingMember RarePosts: 3,949
    1st try: Lotro - ok, let's try Elf, let's try archer, craaaap - why  do I die so soon?
    You should see the hunter now... (wanted to put a smiley here, but it's more like sad)
    Blue, Precision (free focus and no loss with movement), quick shot and pen shot (or barrage), everything dies.
    They're even yapping about skill bloat (after the massive skill removal with the trait trees :angry: ) because they don't use anything else.

Good old days, when an on-level pack of mob could easily overwhelm the hunter... traps were real items not just something dropping down left and right at whim, focus management was important and you needed chants and oils for most encounters.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus LondonMember RarePosts: 749
    edited July 24
    EVE Online would be the pinnacle of surprise for me. I never thought I would like a space game with those mechanics. When I first logged in I was like wtf is this, can't even maneuver my freaking ship? What's the point? 

12 years later I closed down 27 accounts and retired as one of the games legends. 
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    I am a piece of carbon with a soul, wondering where I got it from. 
    - Drunken Mozart in the Desert
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 744
    Guild Wars 2 was it for me.
    I tried the open beta weekends, and I wasent impressed at all, I thought It was boring.
    Then the very last beta weekend I rolled a new toon, I didn't rush thrue, the thing was I didn't understood the concept from the start, I thought the hearts on the map was the quests and everything that happen around was just things to kill.

So I took my time, I watched the quests unfold I followed them thrue, I listen to the NPCs and then I understood the whole game and I was amazed, Played for solid 2 years before I took a break.
  • laxielaxie UK - Leamington SpaMember RarePosts: 729
    Three games surprised me recently:

Black Desert - Everything felt subpar on the surface, cluttered and difficult to navigate. Forcefully spending a few hours with the game, I started to discover the small nuances of how all the systems work. It's not my all time favourite game, but it's one I learned to appreciate.

Wildstar - I'm genuinely surprised the game is not canceled yet. I was one of the few people who really enjoyed it at launch. I think I am in the minority who enjoys truly challenging games, but also likes housing and fluffy unicorns. All of my friends left the game 2 months in. I was certain the game would close soon after, so I left as well. 3 years later, it's still running for some strange reason. It is a shame, I would love to play it had I not thought it would be shutting down any day now.

Guild Wars 2 - I did not expect any game to hold my interest for that long. I went in expecting 2 or 3 months out of it, as is common with most other MMOs. I played it for 2 years straight, rarely getting bored.

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 25,817
    Wizardry said:

I struggle to imagine there's been a game you've actually liked in recent years.  Can you name a few and why you enjoyed them?

BTW my list is pretty short, but I am coming to learn this has been a well of my own making.

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 25,817
    ArcheAge was a game I didn't decide I enjoyed until I hit level 35 and joined a strong guild about the same time. I stopped enjoying after the alpha phase ended.

DAOC really didn't grab me for a month as I experimented with and discarded several alts before finding a class I enjoyed 

Half Life 1 surprised me as I generally don't enjoy shooters but the story and presentation drew me in. (Played thru it 3 times)

Surprisingly Half Life 2 didn't go as well, I  tired of it about midway or so and never finished. 

EVE was a game I researched well before starting but on several occasions I found myself struggling to find the fun.

Not really a game issue, by design the player must evaluate the gameplay tools and forge their own path, which takes some thought coupled with an assist from CCP when they add new features.

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Portland, ORMember UncommonPosts: 2,007
    Guild Wars

NEWS FLASH! A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore Darkfall Online player and knew just what to do.

Watch me play Darkfall and sometimes PVP in other MMORPGs on Twitch.

Darkfall has launched!!! MAY 5th!! Join before its too late!

Follow my RP blog here: http://riseofagon.blogspot.com/

• GavyneGavyne Hollywood, CAMember UncommonPosts: 88
    CS:Go, I had left the Counter-Strike franchise a long time ago.  Moved on to Battlefield for my fps twitch needs for many years.  But their recent ESL & PGL Major tournaments got me really into the game again.  I'm now enjoying CS:Go, which surprised me.  Shows you esports popularity do make a difference in showcasing the games.

BDO, I wasn't expecting to like it, I really was just going to play it out of boredom at the time.  I thought the combat looked too arcade/tekken like.  But the game sucked me in, it had a modern Asheron's Call feeling to it.  The combat totally sold it for me, it was more fun than I had imagined.  Of course the endgame & RNG parts of the game sucks, which is why I don't play it anymore.  But I played the crap out of that game for awhile, totally unexpected.

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairMember EpicPosts: 7,780
    SEANMCAD said:
    On paper, GW2 did not look like anything I wanted. Yet I enjoyed the hell out of it (Pre-HoT anyway)
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,530
    Yes, my first mmorpg, lineage 2

Come to think of it, also Andromeda

• StizzledStizzled Springfield, MOMember RarePosts: 1,739
    ESO, never expected to like it. I hated that the world was divided, I hated the factions and I hated that players were forced into classes. I finally tried the game on a free weekend when it was still subscription based and thought it was bland and boring.

But, I finally bought it during a sale a while ago and I think it's probably the best MMO out at the moment. I'm not currently playing it, but I do want to get back into it at some point in the future.

I still wish they would get rid of the classes though. Your role in groups comes down to what weapon type your using anyways, just let us pick our own skills and spells.
  • MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    Well, to me it would be the game called: This War of Mine - It greatly impacts my point of view and perspective about the conception of war.

Wars or War themed games is about you are the “chosen one”, super elite soldiers, carry a whole arsenal from a handgun to rocket Launcher, go out there and eliminate the “bad guys”.

Now you are a civilian, stuck in a war, and try to survive. You got tons of problem to deal with, food, medicine, safety, how to organize your shelter and divide the task, tough decision to make... This is very close to how it will be if you are actually stuck in a war.

This game has totally changed my mind about how the war would be if I ever had to be a part of ones. Strongly recommend everyone should give it a try.

Well, to me it would be the game called: This War of Mine - It greatly impacts my point of view and perspective about the conception of war.

Wars or War themed games is about you are the “chosen one”, super elite soldiers, carry a whole arsenal from a handgun to rocket Launcher, go out there and eliminate the “bad guys”.

Now you are a civilian, stuck in a war, and try to survive. You got tons of problem to deal with, food, medicine, safety, how to organize your shelter and divide the task, tough decision to make... This is very close to how it will be if you are actually stuck in a war.

This game has totally changed my mind about how the war would be if I ever had to be a part of ones. Strongly recommend everyone should give it a try.

to that point 7 Days to Die challenged my conception of permanence and the value that can come from loss.
    Concretely my first base which I spent 7 hours building got destroyed by zombies and after taking a break to consume that loss I was even more compelled by the challenge then I was before. So the thought that in a game the progress you make should always move forward in order for the game to be compelling was challenged. loss can become compelling
    Kyleran