Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preta: Vendetta Rising - Not Ready for You, Yet - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imagePreta: Vendetta Rising - Not Ready for You, Yet - MMORPG.com

One of the more interesting titles I’ve tried in my short time with the Oculus Rift has been Illion’s Preta: Vendetta Rising. Billing itself as a hybrid between Dark Souls and Monster Hunter, and always online with others, I was intrigued from the start. The intro, though bare bones with a story of amnesia you see coming a mile away, was also encouraging. Then you get into the town hub. And it all falls apart.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited July 2017
    Bill, from your description it does in fact play like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter. How you may ask?  Dark Souls is a game where the monsters are difficult to kill and the player often dies, and this is how you describe P: VR. A Souls Like is a game of managing your frustration until you eventually win. Any one who plays a Souls Like will understand that statement and agree. That is the genre defining aspect, of a Souls Like game. And a Monster Hunter like is just that, hunting monsters.

I took a seminar on programming for VR devices, and never did it again. Some day they will become wide spread and mainstream. I don't know what deal they have with Oculus. Maybe when their game comes out of EA, the people at Oculus with Optimize their code. That could be a major draw for those who can't optimize, to add VR to their game.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Two things i have preached on many times in the past.
    1 ALL VR will feel like it is merely a gimmick where the game would be no different at all w/o VR.
    2 moving combat is not always the best,to me it can make a game even worse,it all depends on the genre and the design.

I think the one thing MOST are missing with the VR gimmick.it is NOT suppose to just be about the COOL or some add on peripheral,the game itself is what matters and we need game design to step up and do a much better job,BEFORE adding in peripheral gimmicks.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Hi Bill, you should try Lone Echo, it is by far the best VR game at the moment, 6 hour singleplayer campaign and a great multiplayer on top.
    Its a space adventure game from Ready at Dawn and if you know the movie Enders Game, this is the multiplayer, very exciting.
    If you like Thriller/Horror, Wilsons Heart is also very good.
    Oculus/Facebook is killing it at the moment, with very good software support and the price drop of the Rift with Touch.
    DiegoMarquezBillMurphy
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Wizardry said:

Two things i have preached on many times in the past.

1 ALL VR will feel like it is merely a gimmick where the game would be no different at all w/o VR.

2 moving combat is not always the best,to me it can make a game even worse,it all depends on the genre and the design.

I think the one thing MOST are missing with the VR gimmick.it is NOT suppose to just be about the COOL or some add on peripheral,the game itself is what matters and we need game design to step up and do a much better job,BEFORE adding in peripheral gimmicks.

you haven't played alot of VR games lately, have you?

the only probs they have atm is that they fear their users will get dizzy from movement not related to their body, which is why they all pump out those teleport or "standing" games.

anyway, VR is no gimmick, there are games that can ONLY be played on VR for a reason, bc they use the controles AND display. both not available without.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• VeraReimiVeraReimi Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I tried this game on Steam couple weeks ago and I had to refund it because it wasn't that great to be honest. It did have VR as option in the settings but without it, camera will be stuck to the screen. However, you can move the camera but strangely it'll only turn certain degrees. I do not like games like this. I hope the best for the developers though.