Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light - Early Access Impressions - It's Rough Right Now, But There's Hope - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDark and Light - Early Access Impressions - It's Rough Right Now, But There's Hope - MMORPG.com

Dark & Light has finally arrived on Steam Early Access. It's one of those games a lot of people have really been looking forward to playing. While we truly believe that there is a good, if not great, game inside the current version, it just feels like Dark & Light should have stayed in development for a longer period of time before releasing into Early Access.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    When you say "Single player mode", does that mean all my yourself on a server or you just couldn't group up with others? Are the servers all PVP or PVE in EA?
    samurai225Dento
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i was hyped for dark and light till i saw what citadel forged with fire looked liked;)
    DrDreamSignexEpicJohnsonHariken
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Elvoc said:
    When you say "Single player mode", does that mean all my yourself on a server or you just couldn't group up with others? Are the servers all PVP or PVE in EA?
    In EA, it's all PvP servers. When you log in, you can choose to join or host a multiplayer server or literally have an option for single player. That's what we had to do since we couldn't make hosting work on either part nor was joining a server viable as both of us crashed repeatedly trying to do so.
    ElvocDento

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• dragonlee66dragonlee66 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Citadel forged with fire was the reason they brought this game out so early
    zenomexpantaroTokkenSaxx0n[Deleted User]LeFantomeWraithoneGdemamiLurchUSA

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    This is not dark and light, its piece of garbage wanna be cashgrab.
    SpottyGekkoOzmodanDentoholdenhamletIRandom
  • bohrium924bohrium924 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I bought the game yesterday, played for 20 minutes where I beat a sheep and was getting blueberries from it? Exited and requested refund. This was after 10 attempts to get into a server which lagged like hell. The opening splash says they're 30% into development on the game and that is a huge embellishment as this shouldn't even be released yet in its current state. I will support it without a doubt and give it a fair shake down the road but definitely not worth my money where it is at currently.
    SBForddarkheartsSlorgViper482
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    This should've been an MMO and it needs more time in the oven. I'd still probably buy it when it's more fleshed out but, i'm still disappointed in their decision to make it a survival game.
    SBFord[Deleted User]wingooddarkheartsMitarawanderica
  • DivyneDivyne Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I am not usually harsh on EA games, but wow, I have to agree with the other comments....this game should not have been released, even in EA, in this state. I found the graphics to be pretty awful, the shadows/lighting need some serious work. I think there is some serious potential here, later on down the road I fully expect to support the game, but right now, I cant recommend it to anyone.
    SBFord
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Daakkon said:
    This should've been an MMO and it needs more time in the oven. I'd still probably buy it when it's more fleshed out but, i'm still disappointed in their decision to make it a survival game.

Well, it is early access. I'm not sure why this still surprises people? On steam there is also a disclaimer saying as much.

I swear, once again, gamerz make their own hells.

I'm sure if people go into it expecting an "early in development" game/experience they will have a more tempered opinion.

[Deleted User]TokkenMikehaSignexTsiyaEpicJohnsonMaquiamesschrupp
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I enjoyed it and played for about two hours in single player mode. All and all not bad for a day one early access launch. Crashed once at the very first loading screen but not after that. Needs to be optimized more. Won't touch playing on a multi-player server until they work out the bugs but for this it's not bad as an single player game, with decent mods added later it's well worth it to me.

Game would stutter a little at times but was very playable for me and yes I had to run from some of the skeletons and Reapers that came after me. I put points into health as not to get one shoted by them. Glad you can see their levels. I did play at full screen, 1920 x 1080. I really like the

Someone suggested this on Steam and I'll try it this evening when I play again.

Bork has Dark and Light 10 hours ago
    PLAY W/ DEDICATED SERVER,
    DON'T DO SOLO/LOCAL PERIOD also play fullscreen!

GTX 1070 + RX1700X (server uses like 5% of my cpu, it only hogs a bit of the ram you should be fine with 8 GB's but w/ 4 GB's more of RAM you should be Guchi.

http://imgur.com/a/HQXoO

My standard 27-34 FPS jumped up to 44-50 FPS

How to make a clientless server

GOTO X DRIVE where it's installed.

"X:\SteamM2Games\steamapps\common\Dark and Light\DNL\Binaries\Win64\DNLServer.exe"

Make a TXT with a name like serverstart.txt file input this change where it says EDIT, you can make serverpassword empty for no password.

start "" /NORMAL "EDIT:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark and Light\DNL\Binaries\Win64\DNLServer.exe" "/Game/DNL/Maps/CapeOfSacredPath/DNL_ALL?QueryPort=27015?SessionName=EDIT?MaxPlayers=127?listen?ServerPassword=EDIT?ServerAdminPassword=EDIT?DifficultyOffset=1.000000?NewMaxStructuresInRange=6000.000000?GlobalVoiceChat=false?ProximityChat=false?NoTributeDownloads=false?AllowThirdPersonPlayer=false?AlwaysNotifyPlayerLeft=false?DontAlwaysNotifyPlayerJoined=false?ServerHardcore=false?ServerPVE=false?ServerCrosshair=true?ServerForceNoHUD=false?ShowMapPlayerLocation=false?EnablePvPGamma=false?DisableStructureDecayPvE=false?AllowFlyerCarryPvE=true" -nosteamclient -game -server -log

SAVE THE FILE AS SERVERSTART.BAT

boom you have the server up wait 3-4 minutes for the server to boot up.

DO NOT JOIN BY ANYTHING OTHER THEN LAN! non-registered will say it won't connect.

EDIT 1

RUN BAT AS ADMIN

EDIT 2

MAKE SURE THE PASSWORD IS SECURE try with numbers+letters. So Bork5643 or something.

EDIT 3

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark and Light\DNL\Saved\Config\WindowsServer

Under Server settings add what you want here.

[ServerSettings]
    DifficultyOffset=1.000000
    NewMaxStructuresInRange=6000.000000
    DayCycleSpeedScale=1.000000
    DayTimeSpeedScale=1.000000
    NightTimeSpeedScale=1.000000
    DinoDamageMultiplier=1.000000
    PlayerDamageMultiplier=1.000000
    StructureDamageMultiplier=1.000000
    PlayerResistanceMultiplier=1.000000
    DinoResistanceMultiplier=1.000000
    StructureResistanceMultiplier=1.000000
    XPMultiplier=1.000000
    TamingSpeedMultiplier=1.000000
    HarvestAmountMultiplier=1.000000
    PlayerCharacterWaterDrainMultiplier=1.000000
    PlayerCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=1.000000
    DinoCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=1.000000
    PlayerCharacterStaminaDrainMultiplier=1.000000
    DinoCharacterStaminaDrainMultiplier=1.000000
    PlayerCharacterHealthRecoveryMultiplier=1.000000
    DinoCharacterHealthRecoveryMultiplier=1.000000
    DinoCountMultiplier=1.000000
    HarvestHealthMultiplier=1.000000
    PvEStructureDecayPeriodMultiplier=1.000000
    ResourcesRespawnPeriodMultiplier=1.000000
    ShowFloatingDamageText=1.0
    ServerCrosshair=true

http://steamcommunity.com/app/529180/discussions/0/1458455461480598238/
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]KyleranMitaraIRandom

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Sorry Suzie, hope and Snail games dont go together. They'll just get what they can and then f2p it for a bit more, finally end it on maintenance mode like all their other titles past and present.
    Hariken[Deleted User]WraithoneLurchUSA
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Sovrath said:
    Daakkon said:

Well, it is early access. I'm not sure why this still surprises people? On steam there is also a disclaimer saying as much.

I'm sure if people go into it expecting an "early in development" game/experience they will have a more tempered opinion.

I am not bitching that it's in EA? I am bitching that this was originally an MMO and was butchered into a survival game. I love the premise and what they have going on, but I think it would fit better as an MMO. 
    Octagon7711SBFordrefo18AlomarLuminusXGdemamiMitaraEpicJohnsonborghive49Distopia
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Albatroes said:

Sorry Suzie, hope and Snail games dont go together. They'll just get what they can and then f2p it for a bit more, finally end it on maintenance mode like all their other titles past and present.

People should have looked up Snail games before they gave them money.
    RemyVorender[Deleted User]WraithoneMitarafreakky
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Sovrath said:
    Daakkon said:

Its example #5683958746350 in this industry of companies trying to make money on something that shouldnt see the light of day for another 2 years, if then even.
    ForgrimmSBFordGdemamiKyleranEpicJohnsonborghive49Leguma11
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I understand it is EA...... My only concern is IF Snail will follow through on improving, developing the game.  It has potential but I'm gonna wait and see, and buy it later after I see their dedication to it. 
    SBFordStjerneoddfreakky

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    You want another failure like Age of Conan? Look no further! Its here!
    AlomarMitara
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited July 2017
    Daakkon said:
    Sovrath said:
    Daakkon said:

I am not bitching that it's in EA? I am bitching that this was originally an MMO and was butchered into a survival game. I love the premise and what they have going on, but I think it would fit better as an MMO. 
    lol "oops" sorry I responded to the wrong post ..erm carry on and just apply my post to the people complaining there are issues.

You can also apply it just to some of the reviews I've read from other sources as well.

Big disclaimer and yet people complaining that it crashes or takes time to load or some such thing. This is not to say noting it is an issue, it's the people who actively expect a "playable" game without issues.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Should never been released to steam in this state.  Most of your early adopters will reject it and probably never go back to it.  Dumb move by Snail.
    WraithoneMax_Striker
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Ozmodan said:
    Should never been released to steam in this state.  Most of your early adopters will reject it and probably never go back to it.  Dumb move by Snail.
    56% of the reviews from english speaking players are positive on Steam, which isn't disastrous for a game that just launched in early access.
    ShaighWraithoneKyleranMitaraEpicJohnson
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    From what I understand this game is developed by the same team that done Ark which rang alarm bells for me. I do not trust that company as far as I can throw them after their whole Ark debacle.

The game to me looks like it is pretty much a bug ridden reskin of Ark. For this reason and the fact I do not trust the development company who is creating the game to not screw me over in the long run, I shall give this game a miss.
    [Deleted User]RexKushmanWraithonelahnmirEpicJohnson
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    exile01 said:
    So, in other words, it's Dark and Light.
    mklinic[Deleted User]Stjerneodd[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusWraithoneobiiMitaraRobsolf
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Daakkon said:

Its example #5683958746350 in this industry of companies trying to make money on something that shouldnt see the light of day for another 2 years, if then even.
    I've noticed a lot of games coming out lately that take about a year to get the way they should have been before they should have been launched.
    Tsiya

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited July 2017
    I guess those who hadn't been around MMOs seven - eight years ago when the first iteration appeared had to learn the hard way.  Dark & Light sucks.  
    [Deleted User]Mitara
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Aeander said:

exile01 said:

So, in other words, it's Dark and Light.

Again... :D
    Mitara
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

here's my terrible experience with DnL, might give it another shot in a couple weeks,
    SBFord[Deleted User]LeFantome