Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Purchased two Asus VG248QE Monitors...

RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
Anyone know a fix before I return these to the store.

The monitors have great graphics when gaming, or movies...

However no matter the setting when in Discord, or games using "Yellow" as a color, even when viewing my regular files such as folders on windows 10 the color looks too bright, and this is said to be because they use cheap TN Panels as the monitor which are crappy at color, although it has a 1 MS Response time I am pretty used to having a 12 MS response time on my old 10 year old or so monitors which have great graphics but too dated so I purchase new ones...

So now my choices are between these 3 unless anyone knows any better or a fix I am going to buy these?

Another ASUS Monitor, but it uses an IPS display as the panel.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K65UN3159&cm_re=IPS_Gaming_monitor-_-24-236-697-_-Product

View Sonic Monitor
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827&cm_re=IPS_Gaming_monitor-_-24-116-827-_-Product

ACER Predator
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004&cm_re=IPS_Gaming_monitor-_-24-106-004-_-Product

So is there a fix for my TN monitor or should I just buy one or two of the ones listed above?

Gdemami

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    As for Asus response it was return it to them in a RMA, even when I mentioned two monitors were doing the exact same thing I mentioned about the TN Panel thing they didn't even know what a TN Panel is or the difference...

And on the purchase box it doesn't mention anything about TN panel or color issues.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    You know the shit hit the fan when there's no Denuvo in the thread.

On a serious note, have you tried playing with the settings extensively? I know you say no matter what setting, but there is switching through the presets and then there is really getting into it. Poor panels often result in situations where some parts of the screen look ok, wheras others don't. Two main issues I experienced as a result of a poor panels are uneven colours near the edges; and vertical lines on certain color spectrum range (blue in my case).

If colours seem too bright, it may be solvable by toying with the settings. Alternatively, it may be the color technology (TN), which is known for brighter colours in general. The other technologies are known to produce more natural colours. RMA would not fix the issue in this case.

If you are unhappy about the monitor, it may be wise to pick a completely different brand. I had panel issues with an IPS ASUS monitor, so I decided to buy a Samsung instead. I figured if there's one company who is known for screen technology, it's Samsung. I'm quite happy with the purchase. In terms of ASUS, I know some of the cheaper IPS variants are quite subpar. Their more expensive models are probably decent. If you can buy the product with a generous return policy, then that's ideal. Shopping for monitors is always dodgy if you can't see/try it first.
    laxie said:

On a serious note, have you tried playing with the settings extensively? I know you say no matter what setting, but there is switching through the presets and then there is really getting into it. Poor panels often result in situations where some parts of the screen look ok, wheras others don't. Two main issues I experienced as a result of a poor panels are uneven colours near the edges; and vertical lines on certain color spectrum range (blue in my case).

If colours seem too bright, it may be solvable by toying with the settings. Alternatively, it may be the color technology (TN), which is known for brighter colours in general. The other technologies are known to produce more natural colours. RMA would not fix the issue in this case.

If you are unhappy about the monitor, it may be wise to pick a completely different brand. I had panel issues with an IPS ASUS monitor, so I decided to buy a Samsung instead. I figured if there's one company who is known for screen technology, it's Samsung. I'm quite happy with the purchase. In terms of ASUS, I know some of the cheaper IPS variants are quite subpar. Their more expensive models are probably decent. If you can buy the product with a generous return policy, then that's ideal. Shopping for monitors is always dodgy if you can't see/try it first.
    haha lol "Down With Denuvo" it was removed from Mass Effect Andromeda too the more games I can get to remove it the better will never purchase a game using Denuvo DRM, or play something using Xing Code / Game Guard I just don't trust them...

But anyways yeah I have tried the settings modes and lowering / adjusting the color on the monitors / settings the best mode is the SRGB, but the other 3 don't work and even when the settings are great for videos and gaming the color yellow in general like on windows 10 folders looks too bright and ugly adjusting the contrast / brightness doesn't fix the issue.

And yeah TN panels seem like they are a problem the last panel I used for the last 10+ Years was a TFT panel, and now it seems they changed to IPS / TN panels, I hear IPS are generally better?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    You can try tinkering with settings.  It's surely possible to turn the brightness down.  But you're never going to get good image quality out of a TN monitor.

Just because the box didn't explicitly say TN doesn't mean that you should be surprised.  If it doesn't say what sort of panel it is, it's probably TN.  1 ms response time is almost certainly TN, as that's the only common monitor technology that can do that.  So does a 160 degree vertical viewing angle; IPS is usually quoted as 178 degrees.  Or, depending on where you purchase, some places will explicitly say that it's a TN monitor:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

It's really a question of how important image quality is to you.  It sounds like it's important enough to you that you really should get an IPS monitor.

I have three of the Asus monitor you link as an alternative, and it's a nice monitor.  I'm not sure how you came up with that link, but you can get it from this link also from New Egg for $200 cheaper:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

As for the other two monitors you link, they're very similar to it, but you're paying extra for G-sync.  G-Sync is proprietary to Nvidia and adds about $100 to the cost of building a monitor.  FreeSync is just AMD's implementation of the industry standard AdaptiveSync, and adds nothing to the cost of building a monitor beyond requiring that certain components be modern and good quality.  So the price difference is just the cost of production being passed on to the consumer.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Renoaku said:
    laxie said:

haha lol "Down With Denuvo" it was removed from Mass Effect Andromeda too the more games I can get to remove it the better will never purchase a game using Denuvo DRM, or play something using Xing Code / Game Guard I just don't trust them...

But anyways yeah I have tried the settings modes and lowering / adjusting the color on the monitors / settings the best mode is the SRGB, but the other 3 don't work and even when the settings are great for videos and gaming the color yellow in general like on windows 10 folders looks too bright and ugly adjusting the contrast / brightness doesn't fix the issue.

And yeah TN panels seem like they are a problem the last panel I used for the last 10+ Years was a TFT panel, and now it seems they changed to IPS / TN panels, I hear IPS are generally better?
    TN panels are cheaper and have lower latency, but their colours are more artificial. It sounds like what you are describing - the colours may feel brighter than what you would see in the real world. There are three reasons where I would justify buying a TN panel:

* You need a high refresh rate screen. If you want to play at 144hz (or even 200+hz), it's usually offered by TN.
    * You care about 1ms latency.
    * You are on a low budget. Buying the lowest tier IPS monitor often leads to getting a poor panel.

For me personally, all three of these were not important factors. I prefer resolution over refresh rates. I would argue latency is a non-issue for all gamers, except perhaps the very very top pro gamers, where you may argue that saving 10-20ms may be useful. I also wasn't pressured in terms of the budget - as long as you aren't forced to buy a lowest tier IPS in a discount, you should be ok.

IPS have two main benefits, more natural colours and better viewing angles. You can look at the screen from most sides and still get good colours - this is useful in practise as well, as you can adjust your chair height how you see fit, not how your monitor's angle demands it. The colours should feel a lot more believable, which is why IPS is a must for graphics designers, as the colours you see translate to print more accurately.

That said, IPS can also be victims of poor panels, perhaps even more so than TN screens. It's a luck of the draw in some cases. In other cases, avoiding the cheapest versions can help avoid the issue. My father had the same looking ASUS to mine, except it cost him 50% more. It was a slightly more expensive model, same size, same look. I had terrible issues with the panels, whereas his looked completely fine. Not sure if it was the model or if I just got unlucky, but it may not be too far fetched to assume the cheapest models will have the worst panels.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited July 2017
    You can probably tweak the settings with a color calibration hardware.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UBSL2TO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3PWQJ3IG6JBY5&colid=1FX7S370FD0PL
    I have an old ASUS 27" monitor next to my LG IPS monitor. The panel definitely displays colors more yellow. I color calibrated it in the past, but haven't bothered with it since it's not my primary monitor anymore.
    edited July 2017
    Quizzical said:
    You can try tinkering with settings.  It's surely possible to turn the brightness down.  But you're never going to get good image quality out of a TN monitor.

Just because the box didn't explicitly say TN doesn't mean that you should be surprised.  If it doesn't say what sort of panel it is, it's probably TN.  1 ms response time is almost certainly TN, as that's the only common monitor technology that can do that.  So does a 160 degree vertical viewing angle; IPS is usually quoted as 178 degrees.  Or, depending on where you purchase, some places will explicitly say that it's a TN monitor:

It's really a question of how important image quality is to you.  It sounds like it's important enough to you that you really should get an IPS monitor.

I have three of the Asus monitor you link as an alternative, and it's a nice monitor.  I'm not sure how you came up with that link, but you can get it from this link also from New Egg for $200 cheaper:

As for the other two monitors you link, they're very similar to it, but you're paying extra for G-sync.  G-Sync is proprietary to Nvidia and adds about $100 to the cost of building a monitor.  FreeSync is just AMD's implementation of the industry standard AdaptiveSync, and adds nothing to the cost of building a monitor beyond requiring that certain components be modern and good quality.  So the price difference is just the cost of production being passed on to the consumer.

So this one is a pretty good IPS monitor without color issues?

Or should I spend a couple of hundred more to get the Gsync, and go with a different company hm?

And yeah ill be buying two of them.

As far as the Nvidia g-sync I am using a Nvidia 1080 founders not sure if its really even needed $100 isn't bad if it provides long quality.

Oh but will Free Sync, even work good given I am using a Nvidia card, or will it even work at all without causing issues?

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    nVidia can support Free Sync if they choose to do so. Its an open standard. But it will undercut the sales of GSync displays for $200 more so nVidia chooses not to support it. At 144 hz, I don't think it matters anymore. I don't see the delay of 1/144th a second to be significant enough. Adaptive Sync is really for lower hz where you will notice the delay. Something like 30hz may display 15 fps due to the timing between frames.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited July 2017
    Renoaku said:
    Quizzical said:

So this one is a pretty good IPS monitor without color issues?

Or should I spend a couple of hundred more to get the Gsync, and go with a different company hm?

And yeah ill be buying two of them.

As far as the Nvidia g-sync I am using a Nvidia 1080 founders not sure if its really even needed $100 isn't bad if it provides long quality.

Oh but will Free Sync, even work good given I am using a Nvidia card, or will it even work at all without causing issues?

Nvidia will probably support the industry standard adaptive sync eventually, at which point, you'd essentially have G-sync on a FreeSync monitor.  Even Intel has said that they plan to support it.  But no one but Nvidia will ever support G-sync.

My experience has been that the colors are very good.  I did a careful inspection when I got the monitors and one had three bad pixels, but the other two were flawless.  On daily use, I can't even see the bad pixels, so I'm not sure which of the three monitors had the bad pixels.

My biggest problem with the monitors has been that on booting, Windows 7 doesn't always know what to do with three monitors.  Sometimes I have to boot twice or unplug a monitor and plug it back in to get Windows 7 to recognize all three properly.  Once that is done, it's fine as long as I keep the computer running.  I didn't have this problem on Windows 10; I originally got the monitors for a new Windows 10 computer, which then died, so I moved them and some of the newer hardware to an older computer.  And I think it's a problem of three monitors, not this particular model.

If one monitor is going to be your primary monitor and another a clear secondary, you could get something cheaper for the secondary monitor.  You don't need 144 Hz if you're not going to play games on it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I have an ancient TN and a newer IPS setting side by side. The TN is more yellow, or the IPS more blue, depending on which way you want to look at it.

Given that the panels are side by side, it was driving me nuts.

Color calibration helped some. Turning the brightness on the IPS way down helped more. Playing with the color temperature helped some more. But I was never able to get the two panels to look even remotely similar, the TN was always more orange/yellow, the IPS more blue. 

Until I just set a dark background -- problem not really solved, but also not really an issue, as I just use the older TN for web pages and such, and game on the IPS.
    Yeah I would rather spend a few hundred dollars more on a monitor just so  it doesn't have the yellow tint, if looking from a slightly different angle, plus the TN Monitor can't process yellow colors as great seems to be the biggest issue even when manually going through the settings and modes.

My old TFT monitor was set out of the box didn't have to ever touch a thing.
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232