Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am going to buy a new game!

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
edited July 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Yeah, I know, no big deal, for some of you this is an almost daily occurrence. 

For me however I have purchased exactly two new games in 4 years, buying Wasteland 2 last Nov and Albion Online last fall.

People have asked, "are you really a gamer?" To tell you the truth I'm not sure anymore.

When I bought my first PC back in '88 I had limited experience to the available games at the time. (Previously playing arcade games, Kings Quest and a small dungeon crawler called Dungeons of Daggeroth.)

I ended up buying 5 or 6 totally at random from a game store and decided Bards Tale 1 was the one I enjoyed best and started me down a near 30 year road in the RPG and MM0RPG genre.

I did branch out at times enjoying titles such as Half Life 1/2, Real Time Strat games such as Dune 2, Warcraft and some others.  I enjoyed space sims particularly Chris Roberts titles and some naval /sub / tank combat sims but in the end I returned to RPGs.

So in order to try and rediscover the "fun" so to speak I'm going to buy 5 or 6 new games and see if I like them. Not going to do it at random however.

This is where you all come in, if willing could you share say no more than 3 titles you feel are "must plays" and most likely to grab my interests.

Don't  worry too much about what genre you think I might like, I definitely plan on trying a wide variety of titles (might need to bump the total to 10) 

I would ask you to exclude sports games and early access titles. Also I prefer to pay up front for my games, someone once told me we boomers often need to have a vested interest in getting the most for our money in order to really enjoy a game and at least for me he was correct.

Now, if there is an early access title that is just so fabulous you think I must play it now, put it on the list but realize I give most games only one chance, and I don't believe I've ever returned to a game that failed to grab me the first go around.

Thanks in advance to those willing to share, everyone else can just ignore. 

Cheers ;

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Post edited by Kyleran on
ste2000GdemamiArclanOctagon7711DistopiaYashaXHatefullSteelhelm

Comments

• SmodenSmoden Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I'll bite, damnit!

What game are you going to buy?
    Sovrathlaserit
    "Good game!"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    From the sounds of it you spend more time on just this board than you do gaming. So no, you are not a gamer, how about answering, "I am a typer". :D

Wasteland 2 a solid choice btw, see you in four years when you can tell us about your next game. :D
    [Deleted User]Arclan
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited July 2017
    Kyleran said:

People have asked, "are you really a gamer?" To tell you the truth I'm not sure anymore.

lol I'm probably a "gamer" by some definition but to me that's a dirty word.

The only way one would ever know I was a "gamer" is that I go to events like PAX regularly and by looking at the games on my computer. Of which there are many.

I'm think it's novel that you play games but rarely buy them. It's also cool because it means you actually get your money/time's worth out of what you play. Quality over quantity.

edit: oh yeah what are you going to buy?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Well.....which game is it then? Out with it, damn you!
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited July 2017
    Jeez....you are weird.

Whatcha gonna buy?

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Scot said:
    From the sounds of it you spend more time on just this board than you do gaming. So no, you are not a gamer, how about answering, "I am a typer". :D

Wasteland 2 a solid choice btw, see you in four years when you can tell us about your next game. :D

Unless he just plays the games he owns exclusively. Then..... I don't know. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Maybe he's just one of those types who doesn't pay for his games

just kidding Ky ;)

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Kyleran = Kopogero? Hmmm...
    immodiumCrazKanukMrMelGibson
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Forgrimm said:
    First thing I was thinking.

Does look like a b0rked post.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited July 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    LOL, please I haven't gotten that bad have I?  Maybe so.

Well you guys are too quick to pile on, I mis-clicked trying to delete the poll I inadvertently added so I hope some of you will revisit the OP now that I've completed it.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited July 2017
    Shadow of Mordor

Kerbal Space Program

Prison Architect

edit: Have to add GTA V in there

Smoden said:
    I'll bite, damnit!

What game are you going to buy?
    Ones that you folks recommend.   ;)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I game almost every day for small time periods or maybe a few hours ,says i am a gamer but i don't need to make stupid purchases to prove it.
    The market did not get better it just became a crowded space of quantity not quality.I cannot speak for others and why they buy crap but i am not a sucker and will sit and wait for something good to come along.

If you made 2 purchases in 4 years,that sounds about right,there are not that many good games out there worthy of being bought at least not at the price most devs/publishers are asking.
    Big example,Stardew what ever it was called as selling around 50-60 bucks at one time,i laughed at that price,a 1980's type engine,game design selling in 2017 for 50-60,yeah right.

I don't keep track of my purchases,i make quite a few but i almost always wait for a sale price because VERY few are good enough to have any longevity.Example Diablo 3,i already had enough of the game after my first month,so it's long term value is  very low,good thing i never bought it when released.
    I know people are all different,nobody likes the same set of games but i value money and put a value on games.Example Albion is not worth very much imo,i hope you paid a very low price.Wasteland 2,maybe worth 10 bucks on sale.I paid 19 bucks for Dishonored awhile back,it was selling around 60 maybe more but i waited.

That is the bottom line for me and the same goes for PC hardware and games,i don't get suckered in to buy new on release and get ripped off on prices,i wait for the proper value  price.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited July 2017
    ste2000 said:
    Jeez....you are weird.

Whatcha gonna buy?

I am most definitely weird, and sort of revel in it. B)
    MrMelGibsonSteelhelm

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If you want to be like most people here, don't buy anything. Just crowd fund something and then bitch about it for the next 4 years :)
    ManWithNoTanste2000[Deleted User]Nyghthowler[Deleted User]YashaXKyleranTalonsinMrMelGibsonHatefulland 1 other.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited July 2017
    The last three games I bought were BF1, Titanfall 2 both for ps4 and pubg for the pc within the last 2-3 months before that had not bought any games for 1-2 years. Didn't care for BF1, Titan Fall 2 was fun til I started getting motion sickness around 20 minutes in and pubg seemed fun but didn't really hook me enough to keep logging on to it.
    I think part or most of my problem is I am addicted to a M&B Warband mod called cRPG so once I log on to that I have a hard time logging off to try something else.
    But I am going to buy ME Shadow of War in october and hope I don't do what I did with Deus Ex MD barely was able to get into it even though I loved and finished DEHR.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    After reading the title, I thought @kopogero got un-banned for a minute. 
    JemAs666
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited July 2017
    Darkest Dungeon and Massive Chalice are a couple buy-to-play games I've gotten good mileage out of.

edit: I forgot to mention "The Void", now on steam.  "The Void" is the game I would have wanted to design.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It helps to have new games delivered to you in a box, not as a download. That way you can use the packing paper to wipe away the tears later. 

AsheramPhaserlight[Deleted User][Deleted User]ArclanKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Playerunknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG), it's at early access, but everybody's playing it.  It's the new hot thing in town and it'll only get bigger and more popular.  It's a fun game to both play and watch on twitch.

Thunder073Arclan

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Amathe said:
    It helps to have new games delivered to you in a box, not as a download. That way you can use the packing paper to wipe away the tears later. 

Are you sure that rough packing material won't cause more tears as you scratch it across your eyes?
    Amathe
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Actually Stardew Valley, the game you were saying was 50-60 dollars, is 14.99 regular price and 8.99 typically during steam sales.

If you only occasionally buy new games, then I would actually recommend looking more at games that were big hits 2 years ago as opposed to today. 

obii
  • 4Renziks4Renziks Member UncommonPosts: 390
    Are you not playing albion , thought it comes out in a week?

Based off the little i know of you.

Elite Dangerous. Maybe Black Desert in the MMORPG realm.

Nier Automata - IMO the godfather of videogames 

and mybe Prey if you like halflife or bioshock games

playing: Dragon Age
    Waiting: for FF14, Mass Effect
    Want to try: Fallen Earth

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2017
    Darkest Dungeon ..
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/Darkest_Dungeon/

Thea the Awakening .....
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/378720/Thea_The_Awakening/

or
                   Hand of Fate .....
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/266510/Hand_of_Fate/

3 of the best games to come out in years
      and a bonus because of how much you enjoyed Bards Tale .. try ...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/408400/Swords_and_Sorcery__Underworld__Definitive_Edition/

Post edited by Scorchien on
    [Deleted User]4RenziksKyleran