Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mordor Pre-Orders Begin, Prepping for July 31st Release - Lord of the Rings Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageMordor Pre-Orders Begin, Prepping for July 31st Release - Lord of the Rings Online - MMORPG.com

Lord of the Rings Online News - The Lord of the Rings Online site has been updated with a new Mordor preorder announcement image on the main page scroller. The store page reveals a number of preorder packages as well as the fine print that announces the release of the expansion as July 31st. There is a caveat, however, in that "in the event of a delay, [players] will receive the Mordor expansion content and items no later than August 31, 2017".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I admit I had a serious "My eyes!" experience from the Spongebob movie when I saw those bundles... I could detail why it is counter-productive and should either lower the prices or rearrange / add elements to the bundles, but luckily I'm not the only one with this feeling, and the players already summarised it nicely here
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?655522-Please-lower-the-prices-for-the-mordor-deluxe-and-ultimate-editions-by-20
    ApridiseJeroKane
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Those prices are up there...
    gunklackerAlomarTokken

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    It's a great game (along with 14, my favorite of the theme park games), but wow, that's pricy.

Do you get the other previous expansions too at least?
    TokkenStarbuck1771

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Ppiper said:
    can someone tell me what the level boost to Mordor is?

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Ppiper said:
    Ppiper said:
    can someone tell me what the level boost to Mordor is?

Thanks! Is that max level?
    yes 115 will be the new max level

[Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    hmmm, seems "a little" pricey for what one gets. I'm not one to balk at paying for my entertainment but I'm not sure the "ultimate Fan Bundle" is really worth it.

I wonder if it would just be cheaper to buy the High Elf and get the lower pack "a la carte".
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711Apridise
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Sovrath said:

hmmm, seems "a little" pricey for what one gets. I'm not one to balk at paying for my entertainment but I'm not sure the "ultimate Fan Bundle" is really worth it.

I wonder if it would just be cheaper to buy the High Elf and get the lower pack "a la carte".

Yeah, I suspect that's what most people will be doing. I'm sure there's a few hardcore collectors that will go for the big package though.

Personally, I can't justify spending that much for a game that can only handle a single CPU and is still restrained by a 32-bit client. I mean, it's fun and all, but how much life is really left for a game with architecture based on Asheron's Call?
    ApridiseJeroKane
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Far too much for a game this old.. and old school.

I mean WoW has dramatically improved it's systems, graphics and features over the years. LOTRO still looks and flows OLD.

That paired with the god awful FTP model makes me wonder why this game even still exists.. and I played it for YEARS back in the day.
    AlomarsyltmackagoemoeSiugdaltaniousApridiseJeroKane
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 44
    You must be joking I wouldn’t pay them prices for a new game!!
    ApridiseJeroKane
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Disappointed in this.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    edited July 2017
    Well the 39.99 for the base one is not too far out of line from the previous expansions. The other two have a lot of stuff I don't care about anyway. Don't care to play a high elf and have more character slots now than I need. I wonder if they let you get this one with turbine points? I not played the game in a while so at 500 a month, I should have a few of those. I think so far I have only purchased one expansion, they rest I got with my accumulated turbine points at least since they went FTP.
    Ozmodan
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    Very disappointed ;(. High elves should be in the base game. I wish someone else would come out with a mmo in the Tolkien world.
    Viper482SiugAlomar
  • RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78
    As an original Beta Player and someone who has ALL of the collectors editions and still pays a monthly sub and plays about 15-30 hours a week. My wife and I will be getting this. I am not surprised at the price. Lotro is a Buy/Freemium game and they just went independent from WB games. They need the money . They will get some but not all of it. I think the last highest tier expansion was $99.00 a $30.00 price increase is steep.

All of that said for those criticizing the game. I love Tolkein. When this game came out I was amazed at the graphics. Are they dated compared to what is achievable now? Yes...But I still am amazed at the beauty of Middle Earth and enjoy adventuring through it. I am a roleplayer and Journal after each session my wife and I play. I have thousands of pages of journals. I guess they are my very own LitRpg. I will support the game because I want it to continue.
    SBFordc0796gervaise1SignexAlomarOzmodanKimo

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    a bit pricey for an OLD game. pass

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Tokken said:
    a bit pricey for an OLD game. pass

Well its NEWER than WoW!

The Ultimate and Collectors - yeah you would have to like fluffy bunny stuff imo.

That said the Standard edition - even though its only $39.99 making it cheaper than a lot of games e.g. WoW - might come as a shock to subscribers since this is the first paid expansion for years. During which they have had a lot of "included" content.

Hopefully it will be a success for SSG.

And it will be interesting to see how "big" it is. The FAQ e.g. points price suggests it will be on a par with the big expansions (so Moria, RoR, HD rather than Mirkwood).  

TokkenOzmodanApridise
  • c0796c0796 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    They will have to restructure that package. There is a tonne of content in this game, yes, but the return on investment for those particular items is not an easy sell. I would challenge them and a lot of developers to try and get a lot of smaller pieces of the pie instead of the entire friggin pie! Great game, regardless of age, unrealistic pricing model.
    Octagon7711ApridiseJeroKane
    Mylan12 said:
    <snip>I wonder if they let you get this one with turbine points? I not played the game in a while so at 500 a month, I should have a few of those. I think so far I have only purchased one expansion, they rest I got with my accumulated turbine points at least since they went FTP.

The FAQ says the standard edition excluding the High Elf will be available for points during the winter (2495).
    Apridise
    edited July 2017
    Far too much for a game this old.. and old school.

I mean WoW has dramatically improved it's systems, graphics and features over the years. LOTRO still looks and flows OLD.

That paired with the god awful FTP model makes me wonder why this game even still exists.. and I played it for YEARS back in the day.

Newer areas of LotR have also improved. With some of the new instances being available almost from the start for new players. 

And whilst trying hard not to knock WoW some of the old areas have not been updated and look awful. Way worse than anything in LotR.  

I agree though that it is old school. Very old school. A style that has a following. Which may be why it has survived. Other than pet battles (!) it has "everything" and then some as things have been added over time.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    c0796Octagon7711
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Sucks I have to wait several months to buy with the Lotro Points. I see it as a smart business move, but I don't know if it is a good one. I wont pony up $130USD for an expansion. I'll wait and then buy it for 2400 lotro points (which i have saved up anyways)
  • goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Not a smart move, if ou ask me. I wondered, if I will have a last look at the game with mordor. For a game that old, prices should be intimidating not pissing off the last customers they have.

Far to expensive for an expansion pricing. $40 is ok, but the rest is far from reality.
    PhryAlomardaltaniousApridise
  • TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Due to the age of the game I think $30 max for any expansion.
    PhrydaltaniousOctagon7711ApridiseMrMelGibson
  • zanzarothzanzaroth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited July 2017
    Torval said:
    I'll post on the lotro forums later, but yeah, those prices and the bundled contents suck. I'll cancel the sub and wait this one out for a while.

The only bundle worth getting is the $130 and that's not happening. Outside of the 30 days VIP (which they desperately need to try and justify that price) the only useful things to me are the shared storage and teleports. The cosmetics would be neat, but not for that price.

The additional cost for the high elf race is also a non-starter. It's basically $50 for the race and a character slot with a few of the cosmetics.
    the high elf race is cheap in the ingame store. 1000 points. but very sad that it will be available not earlier than winter. that sucks for people that want to buy with their points.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Price may be right. One wise person in Lotro forums made calculations and also constructive propositions. Adding some Lotro points + High Elf race + some stuff these packs for real cash may be of interest to people.
    That's absolutely ok to me. Those, who buy for cash should get nice exclusive rewards (including cosmetics that would be unique).
    There would be an option to buy expansion for 2495 Lotro points. High elf is for 1000 points.
    Problem is - if you buy for LPs, wait untill December (Update 22). Untill ten - developers look at you like you are trash.
    This move is bad. It separates the community into Ubermensch and Untermensch, master race and trash.  But maybe that's what was intended: to separate players into good ones and trash ones, make community divided.
    Octagon7711
  • VaultarnVaultarn Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Had been playing lotro off and on for years. Some solid time spent ingame, 733hrs shown on steam and that's not the total time either. Playing with friends and in a fun guild until I dropped it rather quickly. Majority of the time I played I was subbing

Was having issues with crashing around Minas Tirith like a lot of people, then it started getting worse. Did the sensible thing by creating a ticket to their support outlining what was happening. It took 19 days to get a reply from a human, far too long for me considering I was subbing. They made a suggestion which I thought would not do anything, I was right. In my opinion selecting 'Run as Administrator' for a few of the executable files seemed like a weak point to start from.

I replied advising that this change did not improve my gameplay experience, I waited for a reply. A week later still no reply. I decided to do some of my own troubleshooting by using a memory cleaner that would only work on the lotroclient process. My crashing almost completely disappeared. I tested this out for another week and replied advising what I'd done and how it had improved lotro's stability. No reply.

My sub was up for renewal and I had to purchase it through Steam and it would hang on the processing window and not process my request, tried multiple times. Whether this was an SSG issue or a Steam issue I don't know but I'd about had enough. With no further reply from SSG after now around 2 months I sent another reply to SSG via my ticket advising I'd had enough and I would not continue playing due to the poor response and the explained the further issues with trying to subscribe. I explained further about what I had found hoping that the information gave would help them to fix the stability issues.

Instead of receiving a reply from them perhaps trying to keep me paying or trying to work with me and turn a bad situation into a positive one they just closed my ticket with 'Resolved'. So I guess the outcome they wanted was a paying customer to stop and not come back, because that is what exactly has happened.

Sorry about the rant here but I'm still bitter about this and have not actually talked about this any place else because I didn't want to come across as an entitled prick.

So my thoughts on the pricing, way over priced for a game that is subpar in many ways. I do hope that those that are sticking with this get some enjoyment out of lotro, but really I think this ship needs to sink already.

ps - no you cant have my stuff I've already given it away to some friends! :P
    PhryOctagon7711JeroKane