Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arcfall: Previews: A Fresh Take on the Sandbox Exploration Game

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Read the full story here

This week we are looking at Arcfall, the old school style MMORPG which brings an online world into the current times. Similar in scope to Ultima Online, this game offers players a fresh take on the sandbox exploration game with fighting, crafting, and housing to fill out the menu for players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    sorry what? pre-alpha for 19.99 is a "good place to get started"?

Disregard the odds that this piece of shit will likely never develop past "beta", paying these fake game makers is like buying snakeskin oil.
    LeFantomeCrispintyrrin[Deleted User]Thunder073
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Disregard the odds that this piece of shit will likely never develop past "beta", paying these fake game makers is like buying snakeskin oil.

Feel free to back up those claims with facts. What you just posted isn't helping anyone (Also, the venting room is ---> that way).
    VerenathCrispin[Deleted User]samurai225Sinsaiseraphis79xyzercrimewinghaven1Hatefull
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Looks like it will be in direct competition with Albion.
    [Deleted User]Ir1shguy
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Regarding "Open PVP", so outside the safe area, I can kill whoever I want as many times as I want with no mechanical penalty, is that right? And by "mechanical penalty", I mean some programmatic penalty like a murder count or negative karma or some crap like that.
    zerocountsaker
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Regarding "Open PVP", so outside the safe area, I can kill whoever I want as many times as I want with no mechanical penalty, is that right? And by "mechanical penalty", I mean some programmatic penalty like a murder count or negative karma or some crap like that.
    Looks as if that's true.

Not the game for me then.
    ShadanwolfsakerdeniterViper482TheelyThunder073

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I wish there was a place where we only talked about games that are out or might be out sometime soon, tired of paid Alpha exposure

Make a game, make it good, then I'll buy it
    Thunder073postlarval
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Torval said:
    Myrdynn said:
    I wish there was a place where we only talked about games that are out or might be out sometime soon, tired of paid Alpha exposure

Make a game, make it good, then I'll buy it
    Maybe they could add a tag or identifier so people could recognize and skip those. I know I'd rather skip most moba and CCG articles. Then again I just click out of them  again so no harm no foul right.
    and games that look like the same general art feel as most of the banner adds on this site. 
    KyleranMyrdynn

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Torval

There is nothing wrong with throwing lunch money at the devs. It just needs to be labeled as such. This is as much a fundraiser as is any kickstarter/backer program. This area of investment lacks any sort of oversight or consumer protection. When the SEC gets involved and starts cracking down on fraudulent micro securities and such, then maybe I wont have as much of a problem. This is about consumer expectations and less about whether it is ok for you to personally want to donate money to an idea that has less than a 10% chance of ever making it to market.
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172

BizkitNL said:

Feel free to back up those claims with facts. What you just posted isn't helping anyone (Also, the venting room is ---> that way).

In my eyes he presented more facts than you. These early access garbage games have gotten out of control.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Kyleran said:

Looks as if that's true.

Or me.
    sakergearchin13
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    lost me at the pvp.
    gearchin13
  • jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'd say the chances of this game stopping development are slimmer than the normal EA title. They have another game in development as well (they say by another team) and if they want that to go well on release then they won;t want to ruin their rep by ditching Arcfall.

I believe PvP will be changed in the future with repercussions to going murderer.

As far as similarities to Albion Online. Maybe the aesthetics are slightly similar but the game plays way different and with totally different mechanics.

Greatness
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Kyleran said:
    Looks as if that's true.

im confused isn't that statement basically describing a fantasy take on Eves system.....and aren't you a huge Eve fan.
  • NeojacNeojac Member UncommonPosts: 157

Torval said:

How does it play differently. From the site description the weapon mechanics sound nearly identical.

With Arcfall all actions gains Skill points. Each skill opens up abilities, the weapons them self's don't have abilities like Albion. Its more in line with games like Ultima Online and RuneScape. On another note Arcfall is also a open world game with no instancing between zone like Albion. Biggest reason for that is that we are not aiming for mobile plat form where Albion is. Arcfall is still in very early stages and we bring out incremental updates every two weeks. If you are interested in supporting us we are very thankful and already have a amazing community creating tutorials and videos as well as helping new players in game.
    xyzercrime[Deleted User]

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited July 2017
    I would like a fresh take on the phrase fresh take
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

Neojac said:

Torval said:

How does it play differently. From the site description the weapon mechanics sound nearly identical.

With Arcfall all actions gains Skill points. Each skill opens up abilities, the weapons them self's don't have abilities like Albion. Its more in line with games like Ultima Online and RuneScape. On another note Arcfall is also a open world game with no instancing between zone like Albion. Biggest reason for that is that we are not aiming for mobile plat form where Albion is. Arcfall is still in very early stages and we bring out incremental updates every two weeks. If you are interested in supporting us we are very thankful and already have a amazing community creating tutorials and videos as well as helping new players in game.

Nice! A sandbox mmo that truly tailored to be played in desktop!

I hope you guys succeed with your vision.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Well looked like a great game till I read don't take your best gear out. Don't have it in me for anymore open world pvp games, become toxic to fast for me. Hope that it goes well for those that want this game. Always good to see game do well even if it isn't something I want to play.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    old school crap not interested!
    Hatefull
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    This game does look like it has some potential. But it does have problems too...

Good things just by looking at gameplay videos: Graphics is a plus, Animations are bad and cartoonish. You have to do quests to level, you cannot kill stuff to earn any xp.

The worst thing though is how you move your character. You HAVE to click to move, that is an absolute dealbreaker.

Maybe, if those things are solved, it could have a chance...
  • NeojacNeojac Member UncommonPosts: 157

k61977 said:

Well looked like a great game till I read don't take your best gear out. Don't have it in me for anymore open world pvp games, become toxic to fast for me. Hope that it goes well for those that want this game. Always good to see game do well even if it isn't something I want to play.

The PvP will not be as normal PvP, it will be based on your character's Karma. Doing good deeds gives you good Karma and doing bad deeds gives you bad Karma. Stealing is one of those skills that will give you bad Karma. Now a player can't steal from another player if the other player's Karma is above 80% good. Same goes for PvP type Skills like murder where a player cant kill another player if the others Karma is above 40% good. So players that only want to play PvE will just have to keep their Karma above 40% good, where as players that want to kill others have to keep their Karma below 50% bad. This creates a unique PvP/PvE system where its up to each player what he wants to play in the same world. There is good rewards for those wanting full PvP as well as for those wanting full PvE.
    StelawratOctagon7711Peskylaserit

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    edited July 2017

Forgrimm said:

Looks like it will be in direct competition with Albion.

I actually thought the screenshot in the article was from Albion lol

I'm interested in the game so will watch with interest. I don't think I'm ready to drop $20 to find out anything yet.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

I think you mean buying snake oil.

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/15773/1/Health-Benefits-of-Snake-Oil.html

I am a bit confused, so you mean it helps me with my joints pain? 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • zanzarothzanzaroth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    game looks great, but is there a pve only server? i hate free pvp
    Mitara
  • StelawratStelawrat Member UncommonPosts: 7

Neojac said:

k61977 said:

The PvP will not be as normal PvP, it will be based on your character's Karma. Doing good deeds gives you good Karma and doing bad deeds gives you bad Karma. Stealing is one of those skills that will give you bad Karma. Now a player can't steal from another player if the other player's Karma is above 80% good. Same goes for PvP type Skills like murder where a player cant kill another player if the others Karma is above 40% good. So players that only want to play PvE will just have to keep their Karma above 40% good, where as players that want to kill others have to keep their Karma below 50% bad. This creates a unique PvP/PvE system where its up to each player what he wants to play in the same world. There is good rewards for those wanting full PvP as well as for those wanting full PvE.

I really like this idea of Karma as the regulating mechanic for PvP vs PvE, very neat, simple to understand & to live by.