Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games: Bring back Vanguard

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Nilden said:
    The biggest note worthy thing Deybreak Games has done is cancel EQNext and Landmark while taking everyones money, wtf makes you think they could do this even if they wanted to?
    SoE took your money and sold out in the middle of a failing project. Daybreak was the voice of reason.
    Voice of reason... lol...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    <snip>

Here is a major fact that no one EVER realized: 

- SOE did the most poorest attempt to advertise ever for an mmo when it was re-released.

<snip>
    I wasn't aware it was re-released previously. Am I mistaken?

And I am not sure when they would have re-advertised it. When they bought the game it still had many, many bugs - and then some. It took months for the - smaller - team to finally get on top of the game during which time the playerbase declined further.

Presumably however they feel it can pay its way as a niche game. They own the game so there will be no licensing fees.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I liked Vanguard. I wasn't a hard core player, I always thought it suffered from performance issues, but the gameplay itself I was fond of and I would pop in from time to time and play around.

That being said - let it rest. May as well petition for them to bring back SWG. Nothing good would come from bringing it back. You should be pushing for and backing new games that take what was good in Vanguard, and iterate/evolve from that. Admittedly, there aren't a lot of options today that exactly fit that bill, but that doesn't mean that nothing does.

Go read Mary K Shelley's Frankenstein. Don't disturb the natural order. It only brings evil.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The problem with nostalgia is people are into it at first then remember why they quit and quit again. 
    [Deleted User]postlarvalMrMelGibson
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Bring back SWG
    KyleranArclan
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    psiic said:
    Bring back SWG

Ops, I forgot...... Bring that one back too :)
    Arclan
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    SWG will never happen. The owners of star wars wouldn't allow it at all. Technically even the SWG emu servers could be shut down at any moment if whoever owns the license to star wars noticed them. All the owners of SW cares about is money, if they see emulators running...they'd shut them down in a heartbeat with heavy lawyer involvement and threatening to sue for lots of money if they don't comply. The owners of SW is a business only focused on making money...as soon as they see they aren't making money from star wars because emulators are running, that will end any emulators in a heart beat.

And its not a question of IF, but WHEN they notice the emulators. And it will be a very sad day when it does, because the SWG Emu servers are so much fun.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

...until I realize all the same problems are there that caused me to stop playing the first time.

Nostalgia glasses are a very powerful tool, indeed.

You will over look that when you see the servers packed solid :)
    Nothing against you man. but if the servers were packed it would have never shut down to begin with.
    Altho at the end the pop was thin ,I think that with the interest in Pantheon and other Old School MMO games like (Project Gorgon ) ex. , I would think that they could fill a server(or 2) very easily , from the get go , retention would depend on there approach,direction, and dedication to some resources to Vanguard... Actually now would be a good time to strike if they could manage it ..

They are hiring 50 postions right now , so things are looking up for DBG i would assume
    From a business perspective it would be a bad move. 50 hires for a new project will net more gains than resurrecting something that would cost more in licensing and fees than scratch. 

While there's an interest, there isn't a profit motive.
    I disagree completley , and i have been investing in Development houses since the 80s , am a holder in EA , ATVI ,FCMKF etc... i have bit of experience to say the least , and i believe that if they launched with a reasonable sub and a cosmetic Cash Shop, it would bring in a profit , Now for retention, as i said before they would need to dedicate some resources to it , But when it shut down , MANY of the bugs had already been squashed the game was very different than it was at launch .. Very enjoyable experience that i think there is a market for , that has been proven with the attention some of the old school projects are getting ...

If one of them can put together an OLD School Experience with some of the bells and whistles of newer MMOS it could be quite lucrative... There is a good market waiting to be tapped ..
    edited July 2017
    I don't think the Vanguard private server is a very good gauge to how popular it would be. Last time I played that server it was so broken and unfinished...the Necromancer class didn't even work properly nor any of the quests. They don't advertise. They don't keep the site updated at all. So of course it will have very few if any players.

I think opening up Vanguard could work...if they did it similarly to what FFXIV did. Rebrand the game, maybe make some changes (so pretty much just copy FFXIV when it rebranded itself), a cheaper subscription fee (10 dollars like MMOs of old), a cash shop (every MMO has that these days) and advertise a lot. But they should go in expecting it to be a niche MMO of 100k to 150k subscribers (like MMOs of old), because a heavily group focused non-solo MMO is niche. Any MMO that forces or heavily entices grouping is pretty niche and never attracts too many players...WoW is only successful because how open it is for all play styles, but WoW is pretty easy. A challenging game is never as popular as a casual/easy game.

So if Daybreak went in knowing that, they could put resources that equalize with Vanguard being a niche MMO...may make money (hopefully it would or it just shut down again), but wouldn't have millions like WoW. That was SOE's problem before...they expected millions to play a niche, challenging, group focused MMO...when game styles like that aren't very popular since the vast majority of people solo or 2-3 man sized groups. 

However the chance of Vanguard being put back up is only a bit higher than cities of heroes being put back up...and that has a literally 0% chance lol. The only advantage (and its a big one) vanguard has is at least daybreak themselves own it and they are a far better company than NCsoft.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Daybreak needs to bring back a whole lot of other things before they can even think about bringing back any kind of successful MMORPG
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    I find it funny how people are so quick to slag off SOE with regards to V:SoH.

Everyone seems to forget that Sigil Games were responsible for V:SoH, and originally had a deal with Microsoft, which they fucked up (Sigil, not Microsoft), SOE basically bailed Sigil out, V:SoH launched, and was a buggy, unfinished mess of a game.

All of that was the fault of Sigil, not SOE.

Also, if SOE had not bought V:SoH, it would probably have been closed down less than a year after launch (it launched end of Jan 2007, SOE bought it in May that same year).

But sure, keep blaming SOE.
    ScorchienDistopiaTheScavenger

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Excession said:

Everyone seems to forget that Sigil Games were responsible for V:SoH, and originally had a deal with Microsoft, which they fucked up (Sigil, not Microsoft), SOE basically bailed Sigil out, V:SoH launched, and was a buggy, unfinished mess of a game.

Also, if SOE had not bought V:SoH, it would probably have been closed down less than a year after launch (it launched end of Jan 2007, SOE bought it in May that same year).

Yeah, I think SOE gets a lot of hate when it isn't really their fault.

SWG was because Lucasarts forced them to change the game since they saw the success of WoW

Vanguard was really Sigil and that one dude who ran it, that people like for some reason but is so bad at managing companies. The blame is really on him...forgot his name and don't care enough to look...but I think he made like one successful MMO and it was a one hit wonder kinda thing.

SOE/Daybreak are actually better than most MMO companies. There are so many worse companies than them. At least SOE/Daybreak gives their MMOs a chance. And don't shut down MMOs that are actually MAKING money...like...City of Heroes...

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    SWG will never happen. The owners of star wars wouldn't allow it at all. Technically even the SWG emu servers could be shut down at any moment if whoever owns the license to star wars noticed them. All the owners of SW cares about is money, if they see emulators running...they'd shut them down in a heartbeat with heavy lawyer involvement and threatening to sue for lots of money if they don't comply. The owners of SW is a business only focused on making money...as soon as they see they aren't making money from star wars because emulators are running, that will end any emulators in a heart beat.

And its not a question of IF, but WHEN they notice the emulators. And it will be a very sad day when it does, because the SWG Emu servers are so much fun.
    They are well aware of the Emulators, and they don't care. There really isn't much they can do since the people that wrote the code for the Emulators wrote it themselves. While they can say: You can't use that IP (they won't) that is as simple as changing the name. Problem solved. This discussion was had to death when the Emu project first started, years ago.

Also, while the rights to use the Star Wars IP for gaming are currently being held by Bioware, that will come to an end eventually. Then who knows? Walt Disney Company (The owners of Start Wars) could decide to make a game like SWG. They have done quite a lot with the IP thus far, so I would not speak in absolutes when it comes to Star Wars.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Excession said:

To be honest, SOE at the time could have done a lot more to keep VG alive, and I can only speculate that they either had no desire or just didn't feel the bang was worth the buck resource wise.

Sigil was a hot mess and that whole game (VG) was based on Mcquaid being a...less than an agreeable person who basically said: I don't need you guys I can make a blockbuster with no ones help. Most likely while drunk (speculation). Then he hit up MS for help, that fell through (again, probably while drunk, I speculate) and then SWG stepped in to bail him out because as I said earlier he had created a bloody hot mess of the game and needed the Horsepower that SOE could provide to bail it out.

And SOE did keep it on life support for a bit but they never really threw many assets at it. I suspect mainly because Mcquaid, but again it just may have been the bang for the buck.

One thing I think most people agree on is; VG could have been an amazing game and may have given other games of the time a run for their money, but we will never know now as it's as dead as disco, SWG, and @DMKano 's love life.
    Excession

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Vanguard launched so bad that it never recovered. One of the best pve games ive played once a bulk of the issues were fixed. Honestly what they should do is fix it, re-release it under another name.. eq2.5 and make sure you don't fall threw the world every 30 feet and have to restart the game after death each time. If they can do that then it will be a success and have a nice cash flow.
    Vanguard launched so bad that it never recovered. One of the best pve games ive played once a bulk of the issues were fixed. Honestly what they should do is fix it, re-release it under another name.. eq2.5 and make sure you don't fall threw the world every 30 feet and have to restart the game after death each time. If they can do that then it will be a success and have a nice cash flow.
    A lot of MMO launches are bad. WoW launched terribly (mostly because how many people were in it...but it was pretty buggy). Anarchy Online had the worst launch in MMO industry. FFXIV launched terribly. And that is just a few off top of my head...but pretty much the vast majority of MMO launches are bad. Vanguard launch wasn't nearly as bad as say AO or FFXIV. 

The problem as I said above...its a niche MMO, and they thought they were going to get 1million+ people playing it and put far too much money into servers and what not for that amount of people. But the vast majority of gamers are casual, solo (or 2-3 person) group oriented. They don't want a challenging MMO, nor a challenging game in general. Even dark souls didn't sell THAT much and it is an AMAZING game and one of my favorites, but its too challenging for most people.

Vanguard was very challenging for a solo player and really focused on grouping, which to me is amazing and why I play MMOs...but most people solo...even though that is actually weird in an MMO, that is a playstyle that is most popular. Though in their defense, they still socialize, trade and take part in the community...but Vanguard didn't really focus on solo players which are the majority of gamers. Even a 2-3 person group was very rough in Vanguard, which are also about equal with majority of solo gamers.

I think them focusing on getting to be the next WoW didn't help. Sure the launch was bad, but that never stopped other MMOs being a success with a bad launch. And vanguard improved A LOT toward the end. They should have relaunched like FFXIV did, and rebranded the game and reworked systems in the game like FFXIV did.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Really was it a good game I never tried it?
    Renoaku said:
    Excellent game after they fixed it up.. group intensive , Great Crafting , Immense Guild Halls of Epic work to attain , ships .. Diplomacy!!!  and the best collection of classes any MMORPG has ever had imo
    edited July 2017
    Renoaku said:
    At launch (again like most MMO launches) it was rough, and rather buggy and unstable. A few months in it was a lot better, and a +1 year in it was perfectly fine (at least fully playable). So pretty much about same time frame WoW took to get relatively stable and playable. I guess if you were one of those elitist uptight gamers where one bug ruins things for you, you'd still hate it. But then I'm pretty sure MMOs are not for them and they'll hate EVERYTHING, cause even WoW legion has bugs lol. Or that or their PCs sucked because the game was pretty demanding. Ran way better than Everquest 2 though.

But the game itself was great. Diplomacy was like a full on mini-game. The world was amazing...the cities were HUGE. Like literally, vanguard cities still haven't been beaten in size and depth in any MMO. You could explore just one city for hours and still not seen even a tiny fraction of it...and there were quite a few of these HUGE massive cities in the game (I think 3? maybe 4?). The whole world was open, and it was a really amazing group focused game like MMOs of old. With that said, you could solo stuff on Necromancer/Disciple, but the game really was about grouping and socializing.

Not to mention a lot of the classes were pretty unique and well thought out. All the classes were very fun to play. That was probably my favorite part of the game is the class system...they did a really good job with that and that is one of the hardest things to get right. A lot of MMOs even newer ones today have the most mundane and boring classes lol. Combat system was normal really, nothing special, but all the classes felt great to play. Quite a lot of unique classes too.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Renoaku said:
    At launch (again like most MMO launches) it was rough, and rather buggy and unstable. A few months in it was a lot better, and a +1 year in it was perfectly fine (at least fully playable). So pretty much about same time frame WoW took to get relatively stable and playable. I guess if you were one of those elitist uptight gamers where one bug ruins things for you, you'd still hate it. But then I'm pretty sure MMOs are not for them and they'll hate EVERYTHING, cause even WoW legion has bugs lol. Or that or their PCs sucked because the game was pretty demanding. Ran way better than Everquest 2 though.

But the game itself was great. Diplomacy was like a full on mini-game. The world was amazing...the cities were HUGE. Like literally, vanguard cities still haven't been beaten in size and depth in any MMO. You could explore just one city for hours and still not seen even a tiny fraction of it...and there were quite a few of these HUGE massive cities in the game (I think 3? maybe 4?). The whole world was open, and it was a really amazing group focused game like MMOs of old. With that said, you could solo stuff on Necromancer/Disciple, but the game really was about grouping and socializing.

Not to mention a lot of the classes were pretty unique and well thought out. All the classes were very fun to play. That was probably my favorite part of the game is the class system...they did a really good job with that and that is one of the hardest things to get right. A lot of MMOs even newer ones today have the most mundane and boring classes lol. Combat system was normal really, nothing special, but all the classes felt great to play. Quite a lot of unique classes too.
    Well it depends I just saw so many negative reviews I never bothered to play or buy it.

As for Daybreak Games, I don't really see anything innovative they have made, H1Z1 Could have been okay but they made it suck and now we have Player Unkown Battlegrounds which is better, and even PlanetSide 2 just not the best.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Hatefull said:
    Excession said:

To be honest, SOE at the time could have done a lot more to keep VG alive, and I can only speculate that they either had no desire or just didn't feel the bang was worth the buck resource wise.

Sigil was a hot mess and that whole game (VG) was based on Mcquaid being a...less than an agreeable person who basically said: I don't need you guys I can make a blockbuster with no ones help. Most likely while drunk (speculation). Then he hit up MS for help, that fell through (again, probably while drunk, I speculate) and then SWG stepped in to bail him out because as I said earlier he had created a bloody hot mess of the game and needed the Horsepower that SOE could provide to bail it out.

And SOE did keep it on life support for a bit but they never really threw many assets at it. I suspect mainly because Mcquaid, but again it just may have been the bang for the buck.

One thing I think most people agree on is; VG could have been an amazing game and may have given other games of the time a run for their money, but we will never know now as it's as dead as disco, SWG, and @DMKano 's love life.
    I agree, SOE could have done more to keep it alive, but should they have?

Do you remember the hassle over head gear? Sigil could not get any head gear in game at all before it launched, some crap to do with the different character model heads, I seem to remember it took SOE a while to actually get them done and in game.

All the problems with chunk lines and crossing them.

And lets be honest, many, many more problems, that should not have made it to launch.

I personally had a lot of fun, I really liked the way Bard played, was a great class, awesome mechanics, but once most of the group I played with left due to bugs and technical issues, it was hard to overlook all the problems the game had.

If SOE had put in more dev time and effort, fixed most of the biggest bugs/problems the game had, then maybe, just maybe it would have recovered enough player base wise to warrant more resources being thrown at it, but to be honest, looking at how the game launched, and how the player numbers dropped, I doubt it would have been worth it.
    HatefullTheScavenger

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Theely said:
    Scorchien said:
    Theely said:
    Daybreak can barely keep EQ2 running so I don't have much hope in their abilities to even boot up Vanguard.
    So trying to understand this comment .. Do you mean technically they cant keep EQ2 running?
    EQ2 has periods of consistent crashing when zoning accompanied by the inability to log in. The inability to log in can be bypassed by skipping the launcher but that doesn't help the crashing when zoning issue.

The game has also lost players in droves in the past few years as seen by the very few servers most which have a paltry number of players. 
    I play EQ 2 from launch to today , everyday and havent seen the problems you speak of above or heard anyone mention those in game ... But even if it were true , you are saying that EQ2 suffers from the same problem that every Single MMO made to date does from time to time
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

...until I realize all the same problems are there that caused me to stop playing the first time.

Nostalgia glasses are a very powerful tool, indeed.

You will over look that when you see the servers packed solid :)
    Nothing against you man. but if the servers were packed it would have never shut down to begin with.
    Altho at the end the pop was thin ,I think that with the interest in Pantheon and other Old School MMO games like (Project Gorgon ) ex. , I would think that they could fill a server(or 2) very easily , from the get go , retention would depend on there approach,direction, and dedication to some resources to Vanguard... Actually now would be a good time to strike if they could manage it ..

They are hiring 50 postions right now , so things are looking up for DBG i would assume
    From a business perspective it would be a bad move. 50 hires for a new project will net more gains than resurrecting something that would cost more in licensing and fees than scratch. 

While there's an interest, there isn't a profit motive.
    I disagree completley , and i have been investing in Development houses since the 80s , am a holder in EA , ATVI ,FCMKF etc... i have bit of experience to say the least , and i believe that if they launched with a reasonable sub and a cosmetic Cash Shop, it would bring in a profit , Now for retention, as i said before they would need to dedicate some resources to it , But when it shut down , MANY of the bugs had already been squashed the game was very different than it was at launch .. Very enjoyable experience that i think there is a market for , that has been proven with the attention some of the old school projects are getting ...

If one of them can put together an OLD School Experience with some of the bells and whistles of newer MMOS it could be quite lucrative... There is a good market waiting to be tapped ..

Well the thing is that the game was part of All Access and still wasn't worth keeping open, at least according to DBG. So there is that to consider.

On the other hand if they did reopen a VG server I would be a lot more inclined to resub All Access if it was on the list.
    Yea I would reup too.
    Scorchien
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Last time I tried Vanguard it still ran horribly..... Also DBG is just a bad company, plain and simple...I dont know if anyone has a plan there or not.
    Last time I tried Vanguard it still ran horribly..... Also DBG is just a bad company, plain and simple...I dont know if anyone has a plan there or not.
    Hmm thats odd, i played from launch to the day it closed , and in a good guild to the end , of all guildmates and friends know one complained of performance for at least a year , matter a fact it was quite the opposite , So either the last time you played was at least 2 years before it shuttered or your system just couldnt handle the game
    TheScavenger