Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Check Out Iconic Mordor Locations in a Series of Beta Videos - Lord of the Rings Online Videos - MMO

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageCheck Out Iconic Mordor Locations in a Series of Beta Videos - Lord of the Rings Online Videos - MMORPG.com

Lord of the Rings Online will be getting its first expansion in over four years and over the weekend, YouTube user "Andang" spent some time on the LOTRO beta server to show off some of the most notable locations. He's got several videos you can check out to see how Mordor is shaping up.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    I'm disappointed that (if my information is correct) we experience Mordor "after the ring is thrown in.

It seems to me that it would be more impactful to have the character doing some sort of questline simultaneously as the events happen only to rush toward, escape from something to THEN see the eruption of Mt. Doom.

LucienReneAlomar
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Sovrath said:

I'm disappointed that (if my information is correct) we experience Mordor "after the ring is thrown in.

It seems to me that it would be more impactful to have the character doing some sort of questline simultaneously as the events happen only to rush toward, escape from something to THEN see the eruption of Mt. Doom.

no not true they said that they are putting the epic story on hold for a bit so they can do their own story and what not so rings not gettin tossed in yet
    edited June 2017

rammur65 said:

Sovrath said:

no not true they said that they are putting the epic story on hold for a bit so they can do their own story and what not so rings not gettin tossed in yet

Well, that's not what this says: (#3) Also just because they are putting the epic story on hold doesn't mean that they aren't (as we can read) making you pick it up after everything goes down:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/04/lotro-legendarium-10-things-we-know-about-the-mordor-expansion/

3. It takes place after the One Ring was destroyed

I think this is the part that a lot of players are still getting their heads around. After a decade of making the journey toward Mordor to help the Free Peoples of Middle-earth fight Sauron and give Frodo a chance to destroy the One Ring, by the time we actually step foot in Mordor, Frodo’s quest will be accomplished. Also this (god I hate the editor on this site) http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/31/lotros-mordor-expansion-will-take-place-after-the-destruction-of-the-one-ring/

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Stizzled said:
    Haven't we always been one step behind the Fellowship, cleaning up the mess they've left behind? I always figured that, if we ever made it to Mordor, it would be after the destruction of the ring and we'd be left to deal with the evils left in the zone
    This. We might get a session play later, but for the overall zone and stuff, it was the only option, and not only because we were always behind the main characters. Just think about it, nobody enters Mordor until Gollum has his snack (the juicy Frodo-finger), and the tower fells.

Speaking of Barad-dûr, I am a huge fan of Andang, love his videos since the start, and these Bullroarer reviews are awesome as well - except that I found a bit off-putting when he kept saying Barad-durr, as in hurr-durr :wink:  The û should pronounced with a long u, like in the middle of "tool" or "boot".
    Po_gg said:
    Stizzled said:
    Haven't we always been one step behind the Fellowship, cleaning up the mess they've left behind? I always figured that, if we ever made it to Mordor, it would be after the destruction of the ring and we'd be left to deal with the evils left in the zone
    This. We might get a session play later, but for the overall zone and stuff, it was the only option, and not only because we were always behind the main characters. Just think about it, nobody enters Mordor until Gollum has his snack (the juicy Frodo-finger), and the tower fells.

Speaking of Barad-dûr, I am a huge fan of Andang, love his videos since the start, and these Bullroarer reviews are awesome as well - except that I found a bit off-putting when he kept saying Barad-durr, as in hurr-durr :wink:  The û should pronounced with a long u, like in the middle of "tool" or "boot".
    While that might be true (us being behind the fellowship) a climactic event should at least align us with what is going on. It's like having the players show up "after" helm's deep instead of fighting at helm's deep.

This is just bad storytelling.

IceAge

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Speaking optimistically, methinx the dev team is eager to create their own story in the ME world. For 10 years, they've had to strap everything you do loosely to the fellowship and hold to the events that occurred. Everywhere we went since Rohan has had to be miserable, war torn villages fleeing the orc horde. TBH, it got pretty old.

Now they get to mix it up a little. We'll see.

The Battle for the Black Gate happened at the same time as the defingering of Frodo, so it makes sense that we're nowhere near there at any point. Still, I'd like to think that we won't be instantly ported to a tavern in Minas Tirith for a victory pint when this goes live...
    Po_gg[Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:
    Po_gg said:

It's like having the players show up "after" helm's deep instead of fighting at helm's deep.

Or maybe something silly, like being Merry and Pippin on Treebeard in Isengard, stomping down orcs, getting to Isengard tower and then just fading to black...

Oh, wait...

Sovrath said:
    While that might be true (us being behind the fellowship) a climactic event should at least align us with what is going on. It's like having the players show up "after" helm's deep instead of fighting at helm's deep.

Nope, that's what session plays are for, as Rob says above.
    For the open zone anything else would be the bad storytelling. Everyone was at the Gate, and without any chance to break through, might I add, if there's no hungry Gollum in the tower. They won't change such obvious elements just for some eye candy...

And to join with Rob, I too believe that the "pause" on the Book line is a nice opportunity for them to tell some totally new storylines within Mordor. Perhaps we even get some session plays too, I'd love an orc session play before the battle, doing the preparations, and also a Sam session play, watching Gollum's last supper :wink:
    But for doing those with my regular character, now that would be bad storytelling. Tolkien never mentioned an another hobbit there...
    Robsolf
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I probably won't be experiencing this other than watching some videos on someone playing the content, since its been over 5 or 6yrs since I've been in game but I can confirm what others are saying. The entire story was following the footsteps of the fellowship. Everything you experienced was always a step behind they left the area. Exceptions on "past" story quests where you played a certain character not in the current realm of time. So if mordor is after the ring it makes perfect sense.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Cool, but am I the only one thinking that the game should have included areas like this from launch? Waiting over 10 years to enter Mordor seems a bit slow to me.
    Alomar
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited June 2017

Loke666 said:

Cool, but am I the only one thinking that the game should have included areas like this from launch? Waiting over 10 years to enter Mordor seems a bit slow to me.

I agree, but...................wait for it.................................

One does not simply walk into Mordor

Po_gg[Deleted User]postlarvalLucienReneAlomarPottedPlant22[Deleted User]Strizzy12

Po_gg said:

Sovrath said:

Nope, that's what session plays are for, as Rob says above.
    For the open zone anything else would be the bad storytelling. Everyone was at the Gate, and without any chance to break through, might I add, if there's no hungry Gollum in the tower. They won't change such obvious elements just for some eye candy...

And to join with Rob, I too believe that the "pause" on the Book line is a nice opportunity for them to tell some totally new storylines within Mordor. Perhaps we even get some session plays too, I'd love an orc session play before the battle, doing the preparations, and also a Sam session play, watching Gollum's last supper :wink:
    But for doing those with my regular character, now that would be bad storytelling. Tolkien never mentioned an another hobbit there...

Well, I disagree. A major event like that should be seen at some other point by the players as it happens. It's the entire build up of the story. And while I don't think the players should be looking into Mount Doom as Golum bits the finger off Frodo, they could be at the black gate fighting alongside those who are drawing Sauron's eye.

And yeah sure, make it a session play. The point isn't how it happens the point is that the players aren't there for the final climactic event that all these years have been building towards.
    [Deleted User]LucienRene

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Robsolf said:

Speaking optimistically, methinx the dev team is eager to create their own story in the ME world. For 10 years, they've had to strap everything you do loosely to the fellowship and hold to the events that occurred. Everywhere we went since Rohan has had to be miserable, war torn villages fleeing the orc horde. TBH, it got pretty old.

The Battle for the Black Gate happened at the same time as the defingering of Frodo, so it makes sense that we're nowhere near there at any point. Still, I'd like to think that we won't be instantly ported to a tavern in Minas Tirith for a victory pint when this goes live...

The problem is, that they cannot add any more new areas really. Since their License was limited to LOTR trilogy!
    Under no circumstances are they allowed to use materials from the Hobbit and this includes areas like Northern Mirkwood, Lonely Mountain, etc.
    That's why we only have Southern Mirkwood in the game currently.
    Alomar
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    JeroKane said:

The problem is, that they cannot add any more new areas really. Since their License was limited to LOTR trilogy!
    Under no circumstances are they allowed to use materials from the Hobbit and this includes areas like Northern Mirkwood, Lonely Mountain, etc.
    I've never read anything stating they didn't have the Hobbit rights but maybe you are correct.  But even if they have the Hobbit rights, they had already made mistakes by going to areas that weren't important in the timeline of the game (namely LOTR).  They milked the story as it was and by the time they got to Rohan, Isengard and Gondor they were already on a shoestring budget.

Anyway, the game looks really bad at this point.  I returned earlier this year to pick up where I left of in the Rohan expansion.  I made it to the end of the Minas Tirith story and was thoroughly bored.

I think the game was just really poorly designed from the beginning and that they should have had starter areas for Rohan and Gondor at the least.  I also felt like the game should have launched with Moria and they should have skipped the Angmar stuff.

They also totally botched monster play and not having deep play for that faction turned away many potential customers.  Strict and severe lore limitations were definitely a population killer for this franchise.
    Alomar
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Sovrath said:

If that's correct then why am I seeing screenshots of Golum? He died when the ring was destroyed.

JeroKane said:

Robsolf said:

Not the case.  Forochel, Evendim, Angmar, Esteldin, just to name a few regions...

And they have used the Lonely Mountain, even if only for a few instances.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited June 2017
    That moment when LOTRO graphics

are worst then .. 

Quake 3 : 

and even Quake 2 : 

..LOTRO , might actually look a bit better then those screens , in-game , but stiiiiiiiiiiiill ..........

When it will let it be?! 

I hope the ones who are in-charge with the LOTR name , will say at some point "STOP! Enough!" and give the license to some other company who CAN make justice to the LOTR story. 

( No offense to those who still enjoy this ... wannabe LOTR game )

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I'm OK with what they have done.

I remember the first time I read the books, the main storyline was the least interesting too me. I wanted to know what happened to many of the other characters along the way, even post-Doom.

Tolkien wrote a ton of side stories in other volumes and it would be great to play some of those out (if they can get the rights). There is so much more still to be told.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Robsolf said:

JeroKane said:

Robsolf said:

Not the case.  Forochel, Evendim, Angmar, Esteldin, just to name a few regions...

And they have used the Lonely Mountain, even if only for a few instances.

Ehh what? Where did they use the Lonely mountain? I would love to know that, as I have never encountered such an instance.

Forochel, Evendim, Angmar and Esteldin are part of western Eriador, so they were allowed to use it within the LOTR license (maybe these locations were mentioned in the appendixes).

The fact is, they DO NOT have permission to use anything from the other books, like The Hobbit!
    Otherwise we would have had a proper Mirkwood expansion covering entire Mirkwood and Lonely mountain.
    The fact is, they were not allowed to! This has been mentioned in QA sessions back in that time, when people were disappointed about the small Southern Mirkwood map and why we didn't get the full Mirkwood area.

They are only allowed to use material from the LOTR books, including the Appendixes. That's it.
    Gorwe said:
    ...but what about dra...ehm...animation changes? I thought they were supposed to come with Mordor. @Po_GG if you would...?
    I would what? :smiley:
    They are still supposed to come with Mordor, first the Tall Folk, then later the hobbits and dwarves. I think it's not in the first Bullroarer though, or just I missed it - but mind you I never really cared about animations, so unless it is something really disturbing (like the hobbit running after the previous animation changes) I most likely wouldn't notice anyways...
    JeroKane said:

Ehh what? Where did they use the Lonely mountain? I would love to know that, as I have never encountered such an instance.
    The Road to Erebor instance cluster what Robsolf was referred I guess, plus in the dev stream last Friday there was a slip-up (either by accident or on purpose) and after a port the character was loaded into Erebor, making quite some noise among the chatters :wink:
    GorweRobsolf

Sovrath said:

If that's correct then why am I seeing screenshots of Golum? He died when the ring was destroyed.

Excellent question. I can only comment on what they said.

but maybe that's it, it's all told in flashbacks? If so then that at least is more palatable though still disappointing. Since it is the climactic event of the story it did seem to make more sense to have the players "somewhere else" doing "something" and then the mountain come down.

to answer Po_gg: Yes Tolkien didn't mention another hobbit there. He also didn't talk about hobbits running around the golden wood or Elves running around the shire.

This is just a conceit to how they put together the game. I'm not saying that players should be standing next to Aragorn while he talks with the Mouth of Sauron, simply, like Helm's Deep, that they witness the culmination of the actual Tolkien Story, the final event.

Otherwise, as I said, it's like the players showing up at Helm's Deep only to have some NPC state "Garsh, it was a huge and terrible brawl! We thought we were all a'goners but then a flash of light, clear from like the sun and then great Wizard himself riding down with our countrymen ... yup, a site to see. So, what's up with you?"

Gorwe said:
    Aha, so Humans and Elves first. This'll just the animations or how the avatars look too? They were kinda...plastic.
    I think it was about body, faces, and animations... but we'll see when it launches (or maybe earlier, on one of the following Bullroarers).
    Sovrath said:
    to answer Po_gg: Yes Tolkien didn't mention another hobbit there. He also didn't talk about hobbits running around the golden wood or Elves running around the shire.
    Elves are passing through the Shire a lot, during their march to the harbour, and we only arrive to Lórien after the Fellowship is already gone, so it's kinda open business :lol:

This is just the way they build their narrative, maybe stretching it a bit sometimes (ok, sometimes a lot, cough*beornings, or even more COUGH*high elves), but never directly against the storyline. And the end is not even a grey area, it is clearly written by Tolkien, that until the tower stood, nobody from the freep side entered Mordor, besides Sam and Frodo.
    It's not something you just jump over for some additional fun - unless you are a gigantic, almost monolith like ( :smile: ) douche and want to spit on the lore like their crappy shadowssin of creedor did.

(I'd love to say SSG's writing team is much better, and they really are, but... come on, high elf cappy? seriously? :smiley: )
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, it is so... high elves will be good for all classes except burglars (and beorning, since that's a class and a race bundled into one). Meaning, captains too, there will be tons of high elf cappies probably.
    Po_gg said:
    Gorwe said:
    Aha, so Humans and Elves first. This'll just the animations or how the avatars look too? They were kinda...plastic.
    I think it was about body, faces, and animations... but we'll see when it launches (or maybe earlier, on one of the following Bullroarers).
    Sovrath said:
    Elves are passing through the Shire a lot, during their march to the harbour, and we only arrive to Lórien after the Fellowship is already gone, so it's kinda open business :lol:

This is just the way they build their narrative, maybe stretching it a bit sometimes (ok, sometimes a lot, cough*beornings, or even more COUGH*high elves), but never directly against the storyline. And the end is not even a grey area, it is clearly written by Tolkien, that until the tower stood, nobody from the freep side entered Mordor, besides Sam and Frodo.
    It's not something you just jump over for some additional fun - unless you are a gigantic, almost monolith like ( :smile: ) douche and want to spit on the lore like their crappy shadowssin of creedor did.

(I'd love to say SSG's writing team is much better, and they really are, but... come on, high elf cappy? seriously? :smiley: )
    It's still a stretch. Were there many elves, dwarves and hobbits at Helm's deep? How about hanging out in Bree?

And yes Elves would pass by the shire but they wouldn't go hanging out "inside" the shire. At least to my memory.

This is just how the game is.

but the players don't even have to be "at the battle" or inside. They just need to be somewhere in the world to witness the event while they are doing something equally important.
    [Deleted User]

Yep, my hobbit LM would write the most awesome dessertation ( :wink: ) about the thickness of the pie-crust, the amount and quality of barley used for it, and the place it wins at the contest, in relation of the number of Lobelia's cousins and "supporters" among the jury :smiley:
    [Deleted User]