Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Ships - What is the attraction?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
http://massivelyop.com/2017/06/24/make-my-mmo-june-24-2017/

I don't follow Star Citizen, so I don't know that much about it.  I see the headlines like this one, though.  They sold 14K copies of a digital ship, in 24 hours, for a minimum of $35, for a game that isn't even out yet?  Does that UEE Fleet stat mean they have sold 1.3 million ships total?  Can someone explain to me why people are willing to pump so much money into ships for this game?  How have they attracted such a fanatic following, and why are they so good at getting people to part with their money?

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I don't get it either. There is a decent number of hardcore backers who splurge on these cheaper ships because they are an easy way to get an LTI token, these people have a love affair for LTI despite it apparently not being that big of a thing.

Yes, the UEE stat represents the number of ships owned by backers, so on average 2 ships for each of the 650,000 backers.

As for why people spend their money I really couldn't say. The community hypes up the sales and seems to get everyone willing to spend money instead of just waiting to earn it in game. If you view the subreddit just prior to a new ship sale (and in the early period of the sale) it is like mass hysteria has taken over, that's the only way I can describe it.

Some people seem caught up in the whole idea that CIG are making a game the way it should be made (God help us!), that they are sticking it to the publishers, that they are saving PC gaming (lol), that they are making hardware upgrades relevant again (lol) and all of that irrational pcmasterrace nonsense.

It would make for an interesting psychology paper.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I guess it's just not my nature to be that trusting of game developers, or people in general.  Oh well, hope it works out for the backers.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    My guess outside of the reason is fanatics.

The reason I would assume is 35 dollar packages are the cheapest way to get access to the game. Have to buy a ship to play. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"We find that whole communities suddenly fix their minds upon one object, and go mad in its pursuit; that millions of people become simultaneously impressed with one delusion, and run after it, till their attention is caught by some new folly more captivating than the first."

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Just sit back and watch. It's incredibly entertaining :)
    MrMelGibsonXarkokikoodutroa8MaxBaconOctagon7711

..Cake..

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    sgel said:
    It will infinitely more entertaining if the game never launches lol.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    sgel said:
    Just imagine if the game doesn't launch and the company goes belly up. I'm taking time off work to watch the various forums burn with backer rage, white knighting excuses and the I told you so posts lol 
    BabuinixPhoenix_HawkMaxBaconMrMelGibson
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    They are selling a fantasy.  And since it is a fantasy, for every erstwhile player it is the perfect game.   CIG's PR, marketing, and agitprop is very well tailored for the group they are aiming at.   Give them enough money, and they may actually succeed.  Just not very efficiently.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Kefo said:
     various forums burn with backer rage, white knighting excuses and the I told you so posts lol 
    This is going to happen either way. It happens with every MMO and MO. No online game ever lives up to its devs promises and SC went full dream land with its hype. Its gonna be fun.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited June 2017
    That's easy hehehe, just watch some of the many ship comercials:

Compilation:

Full official list here: Full official list here:

rpmcmurphy
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited June 2017
    I guess it's just not my nature to be that trusting of game developers, or people in general.  Oh well, hope it works out for the backers.
    Nevermind the random hatefulness...

The Ships have one appeal in one front, they are made as incredibly detailed and unique vehicles players play the game with, so from a start people who have the money to spend clearly like them.

In the other side is not much about the ships as it is about the continuous crowdfund that is behind the game, so every sale they present to the backers there's a group of them that will buy into that sale and many do it because they already like it and that's half the way to decide to support the game.

A 200$ sale where just the cut of 5k backers gets it is enough to fund 1 million. These 14K ships are not 14K people buying because the packages include multiple of them. The counter is indeed 1.3 million number of ships that were bought (every player of the game equals to a minimum 1 ship).
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    They are selling a second life in space.  Everyone wants to be cool and good and powerful so they gradually introduce ships with a power-creep curve so everyone keeps buying them to stay powerful. Makes sense when they are selling to people who are used to constantly upgrading their gaming rig and min maxing their gaming. Its logical, compelling and utterly ruthless.
    rpmcmurphyMaxBacon
    edited June 2017
    I find it cool that the rich guys are funding the game for us plebs. Thanks for pledging from the bottom of my heart. (goons & haters included) :D
    rpmcmurphyZandog
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    People are not buying ships.

The backers give money so that the game they always wished for becomes reality.

Some of those backers have more money than others. So they give more. They get a token (in the form of a ship or ships) for their contribution.

That is also the reason why backers give money before knowing the stats of the ships or how it will exactly look like. Because that is not important.

It is important that something changes in the way games are made. How complex and engaging they are. The comparison with "Second Life" upthread is a good one. Backers do not simply want to play a ship combat game. They want to "live" in this sci-fi world (those who played Star Wars Galaxies in the past will know what i mean).

Have fun
    rpmcmurphyadamlotus75XarkoZandog
  • OdeezeeOdeezee Member UncommonPosts: 69
    no one can tell you if you will like a game or not, so it's best not to ask others for their opinion. i suggest going on youtube/twitch and watching some videos. after which you can wait for the next Free-Fly Weekend and try it out for yourself and see if it will be something you are interested in. the next Free-Fly Weekend should co-incide with the next update to the game called Pre-Alpha Update 3.0 which introduces the first complete game loops (cargo hauling, piracy, etc) and as well as planetary landing and a whole host of other features, content and tech. i will leave you a video of one of the planetary bodies that we will be getting with the 3.0 update.

Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Demo

Zandog

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"
    For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386
    Do you lose the ship if it is destroyed (hope so) is all I want to know. They can buy a billion of them if they will lose them during game play. Have not read a lot on the game but if it is good...I will be there sometime.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

Bruise187 said:
    Do you lose the ship if it is destroyed (hope so) is all I want to know. They can buy a billion of them if they will lose them during game play. Have not read a lot on the game but if it is good...I will be there sometime.
    If you have insurance you will keep the basic ship (no upgrades or new weapons etc), if you forgot to insure your stuff it's lost forever.
    Zandog
    If you have a ship with LTI and you sell it in game what happens?
    edited June 2017
    If you have a ship with LTI and you sell it in game what happens?
    Not defined yet for the period after the game has launched.

LTI could stay either with the ship or the seller.  More likely: ship.

Have fun
  • donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Erillion said:

Oh really? So then why is there a giant list of ships with various prices on them? Why don't they just have a button on the site that says donate here to make your dreams come true? It would be so much easier wouldn't it? 

I wish you guys the best of luck making that idiotic argument in court some day as if this is some charity people are donating too. You people really do live in a fantasy world if you think that is going to fly. 
    MaxBaconBabuinixadamlotus75Odeezee
    donger56 said:
    Erillion said:

Oh really? So then why is there a giant list of ships with various prices on them? Why don't they just have a button on the site that says donate here to make your dreams come true? It would be so much easier wouldn't it? 

I wish you guys the best of luck making that idiotic argument in court some day as if this is some charity people are donating too. You people really do live in a fantasy world if you think that is going to fly. 
    Because it is customary in crowdfunding / "Kickstarter" style games to have various tiers of pledge packages ... and these pledge packages contain various rewards. Most often these are in game rewards (like the SC ships) ... some crowdfunding campaigns also offer real world memento items. Personally, i like those that also have real world items best .... cloth world maps, ship models etc.

Living in a fantasy (or in that case: sci-fi) world is the whole POINT of playing a sandbox game ;-)

Have fun
    Babuinix
    Except you can sell these ships on the grey market, upgrade them into other ships, melt them for dollars and buy more ships, buy them for a discount if you use cash, buy multipacks and bundles of ships, buy ships that give you the right to buy other ships, and receive gifts of ships from other backers.

The kickstarter finished years ago Erillion.
    MaxBaconOdeezee
    Except you can sell these ships on the grey market, upgrade them into other ships, melt them for dollars and buy more ships, buy them for a discount if you use cash, buy multipacks and bundles of ships, buy ships that give you the right to buy other ships, and receive gifts of ships from other backers.

The kickstarter finished years ago Erillion.
    The crowdfunding did not.

The Kickstarter part is now only around 1.5 % of the total money collected. A tiny part these days.

CIG is actively taking steps to curb the excesses of the (player) grey and black market - see other threads here in this subforum. 

Have fun
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    sgel said:
    Nah, it'll be most entertaining when the game officially launches. It will never be all things to all people. MMO's only retain about 20% of players after the first month and it just goes down from there until ~5% remain at the end of the year. 

If people think CIG and SC have haters now, just wait until it goes live and most of the playerbase finds that they don't like what they got for their money. It's going to be hilarious. Minimum viable product. Can't wait for the usual:
    "it's only beta they'll fix it and add a bunch of features before launch"
    "there's still two weeks of beta, plenty of time to fix/add things"
    "all MMO's have problems at launch, haven't you ever played an MMO at launch."
    "Even WoW had problems for months after launch and didn't even have all the raids."
    "Go back to kiddie WoW."
    "I don't know what you're talking about, the game's not empty, I see a ton of people."
    "It's being released on Steam so there's going to be a ton of new players!"
    "You can't trust steam numbers because most people play through the main client and not Steam."

The worst thing that can happen to SC is that it launches and it will be the most exciting time for the popcorn crew.

Odeezee
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Erillion said:
    donger56 said:
    Erillion said:

Because it is customary in crowdfunding / "Kickstarter" style games to have various tiers of pledge packages ... and these pledge packages contain various rewards. Most often these are in game rewards (like the SC ships) ... some crowdfunding campaigns also offer real world memento items. Personally, i like those that also have real world items best .... cloth world maps, ship models etc.

Living in a fantasy (or in that case: sci-fi) world is the whole POINT of playing a sandbox game ;-)

Have fun
    I is a beautiful thought, and you present it so elegantly, that it is about the funding, not the ships. I do wonder why all those happy supporters are then seeling on the ships though, some even above orginal buy price. Not be course people place actual value on them I am sure. No, heaven forbid. It is all about the funding.

Lets make a deal, you stop bullshitting, and I stop calling you on it.

Of course people are primarily buying the expensive ships for the sake of the ships, not to make large donations. To claim otherwise is naive at best.
    Odeezee