Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - AFK Farmers & You - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

"Guild Wars 2 has never been notorious for botting, hacking, or just generally exploiting the game." Uh yeah it has!

I feel they encourage botting with the amount of experience needed to advance the HOT items which is considered post max level advancement.

HoT invites bots because of it's design flaws. The original leveling system was progressive because it requires the same exact amount of experience points to go from level 5 - 6 as it does to go from level 79 - 80. This design was genius because it prevented bloated end game leveling which is a problem for many games (star trek online, lord of the rings online, DDO the list is long).

I've been playing HoT I've only gotten 2-3 items on one of the leveling sections 2 on another and 1 on another and I've been playing for a month now, daily, doing all the events I can, getting every advancement hero point I can.

The design is terrible in that not only does it go away from the original progressive design of leveling but it's also bloated to the point of stagnation.

Requiring a bloated leveling system to advance is never a good design for an MMO if you want people to play longer or more often making it a chore is never a good design plan.

No one is doing it for experience, even with Heart of Thorns. It's all about the gold, materials, karma, and other loot. Experience is just a nice, almost negligible side benefit.

Also, you're kidding yourself if you think even post-Heart of Thorns Guild Wars 2 is so much as located in the same universe of experience grind as much of the MMO market.
    xyzercrime
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020

Tiamat64 said:

Hmm, not very often I see an MMO company banning people for AFKing with n-game mechanics instead of third party programs. I personally see that as abhorrent, myself, but it's their rules, I suppose. Still, I'm glad I got out of this game a long time ago.

instead of typing "ingame" you decided to type "n-game" which is objectively more difficult to type than "ingame".

Why?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Current game I play got rid of non-dungeon drops.
    Instead, players go by a Rank System and Point System.
    Each time a player makes a kill, he or she gets points.
    When players get enough points in the region, they rank up.

Points are used towards buying items and materials that are used for crafting, gearing, and fashion.
    One is welcome to bot, but the mechanics of the area will outright kill the player if its not avoided every few minutes.

GW2's team is too fascist for me.
    They punish detrimental forces by always taking an initiative or stance that hurts the main playerbase a lot more.

I swear..
    I log into the Anet GW2 forums and I still see the same classes complaining about the same builds players used 1 - 2 years ago.

That game either needs to die or reinvent itself
    because in my heart its in limbo.
    Its a game I went from really liking and playing for long periods of time,
    to staying as far away as possible.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    If someone has to AFK to progress in a game (like a vast majority use macros in Ultima Online that level them up and do stuff for them), or in GW2 these auto farms...that means...either one, multiple or all of these

A: The game is probably incredibly boring for that person
    B: The game, or at least some of the mechanics are built very badly
    C: The game is on its death bed (especially if a larger and larger portion of people are AFK skilling up or leveling. This does NOT mean the game will actually die, but its a sign the game is going to take a nose dive)

Any time I see people resort to AFK leveling, it is NEVER a good sign for that MMO. Especially if more and more people start doing it, and the company doesn't do anything to stop it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• FritzpowerFritzpower Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Gaming itself getting pointless since more and more wow clones show up.
    Every dev team is looking to kill WoW but they just won't.
    I think myself, WoW was great until the death of Arthas. No more mysteries left
    just stupid green legion monsters.
    But for GW2 it is indeed pointless to grind the hell out of the game for an item just to get a marginally
    better legendary.
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    These are not bots.
    They are not using 3rd party programs,they just utilise classes with AI features like minions,and the Auto Loot function,to just stand in a spot where low level mobs spawn,and let the AI kill the mobs while they get the loot.
    This only takes place in 2 of the new maps and one small area in Iron Marches.
    Simply because a few turds choose to exploit a game feature to get additional loot at a snail's pace,because the loot they get per minute of AFKing is 1000 times less than what they'd get if they actively played,doesn't mean anything about the game.
    It is though very important to deal with people like those AFKErs ASAP,because then you avoid articles like this,and the usual armies of butt hurt gamers that make baseless comments about the game.
    And by deal I mean you put out a warning in the forums,add some in game automated warning messages broadcast in the relevant area maps,and a few days later you start banning.
    No "hey I'm a GM don't do that or I'll ban you" elementary school bs.
    DakeruTiamat64
  • HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148

exile01 said:

game has always been filled with bots, since day 1. Mindless and pointless grind in a pointless game, where everything you do feels pointless.

Everything you do in video games is pointless.
    Dakeruxyzercrime
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Haralin said:

exile01 said:

game has always been filled with bots, since day 1. Mindless and pointless grind in a pointless game, where everything you do feels pointless.

Everything you do in video games is pointless.
    Let's hope you succeed to instill your point to a pointless person. :lol:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I still don't understand if its legal to afk farm like this because its part of the game as long as you are there to answer the GM while watching netflix on a different screen and there in front of the computer its legal?
  • SkjoldurSkjoldur Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Solution is the same as for Hunters in WoW: If a pet kills a mob without the character having done damage to it, then the player will get neither XP nore loot.