Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 & StarCraft Being Remastered - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,481

imageDiablo 2, Warcraft 3 & StarCraft Being Remastered - MMORPG.com News

A new posting on the Blizzard site pretty clearly states that the dreams of many classic games fans will be coming true. The ad is seeking a Senior Software Engineer for server technology to bring Diablo 2, StarCraft and Warcraft 3 to a new generation of players. The ad cites "evolving operating systems, hardware and online services" as barriers to be overcome to allow loyal fans and new players to enjoy the three.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Currently reading: The Unwomanly Face of War  ~Svetlana Alexievich (recommended)
                             The Inheritance Trilogy
~NK Jemisin

MrMelGibsonCotic

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,700
    Awesome news
    blueturtle13JinxysNoxiousBassIceAgeTorvalbartoni33Agent_JosephArskaaaOzmodan
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
    This will bring in buckets of money for Blizzard. Not surprising news but welcome news.
    TorvalMrMelGibsonAgent_Joseph

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• EldrachEldrach SandefjordMember UncommonPosts: 42
    Bit tired of the "remastered editions" fever that's currently plaguing the gameindustri. Yes, those were great games...But remastering them takes focus away from creating new experiences.
    jgDuffayNickhead420rasgan514austinmawZenislavSlyLoKThunder073natpickAlomarMegilindirand 4 others.
  • donger56donger56 cleveland, IAMember RarePosts: 443
    Hopefully this will lead to Warcraft 4. They flat out refuse to do vanilla wow servers, but then they do this? Yeah, I know it's not quite the same thing, but still. Blizzard trollin.
    rasgan514austinmawThunder073natpickAlomarWanusforcelimaMrMelGibsonCotic
  • AeanderAeander Walker, LAMember RarePosts: 1,475
    Warcraft 3 remastered? Well, time to say goodbye to my family.
    ConstantineMerusThunder073natpickWanusMrMelGibsonArskaaaCoticPhry
  • GreatswordGreatsword Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Jumping to conclusions for clickbait, are we?

Since they are looking for a software engineer for servers it's most likely about migrating those old games to a new server system/infrastructure. Just look at the job description.

The games named here are just bragging by Blizzard so a job seeker who's not into gaming knows what company he is applying for (believe it or not, this job ad will be posted on all major job boards). That ""We are the company behind D2, WC3 and SC!"." introduction paragraph is normal for every company in every job ad and they might even use it to look for a janitor.
    CecropiaHiromant
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member EpicPosts: 3,442
    Excellent Blizzard, just dont remaster D2's expansion.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIMember RarePosts: 1,638
    edited June 19
    "New Generation of Players" scared me. We all know that this generation plays with money.
    Post edited by Dauzqul on
    Ricardo58KyleranforcelimaAgent_Joseph
    4ft Gaming Mouse Pad - www.mouserpad.com
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,892

Since they are looking for a software engineer for servers it's most likely about migrating those old games to a new server system/infrastructure. Just look at the job description.

The games named here are just bragging by Blizzard so a job seeker who's not into gaming knows what company he is applying for (believe it or not, this job ad will be posted on all major job boards). That ""We are the company behind D2, WC3 and SC!"." introduction paragraph is normal for every company in every job ad and they might even use it to look for a janitor.

They list the games and then say: "We’re restoring them to glory"
    austinmawSBFordCazrielConstantineMerusCotic

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVMember RarePosts: 2,743
    D2 in HD/4k? Yus. 

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member UncommonPosts: 137
    WC3 still looks pretty decent. I have it installed on Windows7. Only problemis cut scenes dont show,  they're completely black. Other than that, the game plays fine. I may, or may not spring fir the remastered. We'll see
  • IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In .. RomaniaMember RarePosts: 1,666

Eldrach said:

Bit tired of the "remastered editions" fever that's currently plaguing the gameindustri. Yes, those were great games...But remastering them takes focus away from creating new experiences.

Really ? So , you believe Blizzard will take away resources/focus from other projects just to make a remastered version of SC, W3 & D2 ? No! Those require small teams to bring the remastered projects to live as they already stated that.

I am pretty sure that Blizzard always works on creating new experiences without taking away resources from other projects.
    xyzercrimeSovrathMrMelGibson

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,481
    Sovrath said:

They list the games and then say: "We’re restoring them to glory"
    Thank you for pointing that out and exactly why I included that particular quote in the entire article which, judging by the earlier post, was not read. Starcraft has already been announced as headed for remaster so lumping WC3 and D2 in with it means they will also be remastered. It's not as much of a stretch as the one mentioned later in the full article.
    SovrathMrMelGibsonConstantineMerusPhry

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Currently reading: The Unwomanly Face of War  ~Svetlana Alexievich (recommended)
                                 The Inheritance Trilogy
    ~NK Jemisin

• KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXMember RarePosts: 1,583
    edited June 19
    I think this is a great idea. Updating their game engines to to DX12 and their art assets to wide screen and 4k resolutions. That would go a long way to breathing life into these old games. My god son is just about the same age as his dad when we first played Warcraft, when he was born.
    Post edited by Konfess on
    blueturtle13

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 913
    And here i was considering buying Diablo III (if it would drop in price just a bit more). With Diablo II remastered, probably no reason anymore. And i still play Warcraft 3 every other year or so.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• coretex666coretex666 PragueMember RarePosts: 3,209
    Hope it is D2 LoD which is a significantly better game than the "vanilla" Diablo 2, in my opinion.

I would rather play LoD with old graphics than remastered vanilla D2.
    TorvalDagon13MrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,451
    Eldrach said:
    Disagree. It means people don't have to pirate and hack old versions of games to get them working on modern hardware and operating systems. This is one of the pillars that has made Good Old Games (gog.com) so successful.

Lots of people like me enjoy replaying old games. I am more than willing to pay for stability and remastered textures. I downloaded StarCraft (for free from Blizzard) and the muddy textures are the first thing that stood out. I just bought a remastered Turok 2: Seeds of Evil on GoG for $14. While it's still low rez by todays standards the textures actually work at 1080p and they polished several game features like the platforming. It's the original dino blaster. Why wouldn't I want to replay it especially since my N64 is dead.
    blueturtle13StoneRosesMrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,451
    Hope it is D2 LoD which is a significantly better game than the "vanilla" Diablo 2, in my opinion.

I would rather play LoD with old graphics than remastered vanilla D2.

Yeah, I don't even think of D2 without LoD anymore. I'm pretty sure all these remasters will be bundled with their DLC and xpacs, or at least the option to buy them that way.
    coretex666blueturtle13MrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • AoriAori Carbondale, ILMember EpicPosts: 3,819
    ...Ha to all the naysayers who said it would never happen, told ya so and it pleases me so greatly!
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Santa Rosa, CAMember UncommonPosts: 85
    would rather have D4 instead of 'remastered' stuff i've already played

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• HarikenHariken Brighton, MAMember RarePosts: 1,695
    It amazes me that Blizzard would do this and Bethesda is to cheap to do this with TES3 Morrowind. This is something that fans have been wanting for years.
  • ElderknightElderknight Slc, UTMember UncommonPosts: 223
    Hopefully they will add them to the battlenet app so we can launch them with the other games, how much do you think they will charge for the remaster games 10$ would be good with me.
    blueturtle13SBFordMrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,892
    Hariken said:
    It amazes me that Blizzard would do this and Bethesda is to cheap to do this with TES3 Morrowind. This is something that fans have been wanting for years.
    I don't think it has anything to do with "being cheap". Todd Howard had answered this and said that the resources it would take to bring Morrowind up to moden standards could be used to make another game.

My guess is that Blizzard has a lot more money and additional personnel; they crunched the numbers and felt it would be profitable to do so.

Companies are ALWAYS willing to spend money if they think they can make a significant profit and if the project falls under their company mission statement.
    MrMelGibson

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 4,840
    Well....

I can only hope that one day they will remaster Vanilla WoW ;)
    MadFrenchiedeniter

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid GinnungagapMember EpicPosts: 8,688
    edited June 19
    If they are truly remastering D2 and W3 then i can also see them porting those two games to consoles. I never played D2 and W3 because of their point and click only nature. And with the success and excellent gameplay of D3 on consoles i would definitely play them on PS4.

I'm against remastering modern games(that are still fresh), but i welcome these classics and others with open arms, any day.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on