Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ALERT! Advice needed for new gaming rig. Help requested!

barrydbarryd Member UncommonPosts: 10
edited June 2017 in Hardware
Alright folks, I need your help. It's time to retire my homebuilt Core i7-920 @ 2.66 GHz/AMD Radeon 6850 1GB GPU machine. You can guess the state of the rest of my specs. It's sad. BG2 and Terraria are basically the only games that don't send my system into a seizure. So it's time for a new rig and I'd rather have someone else build it for me this time. Just like I can wash my own car, but sometimes I'll pay to have someone else detail that mother while I sit back and watch. With that said to avoid "Go to newegg and do it yourself brah" posts, on we go....

I mainly play MMOs, RPGs, Crafting/Survival and Strategy games. Examples include: SWTOR, WoW, FFXIV, Warthunder, WoT, FO4, GTA V, Witcher 3, EUIV, CK2, Stellaris, Civ 6, Life is Feudal, D3 etc.

• Would like to play all of these and other current games of these genres at maximum settings
  • Not brand loyal to either Intel or AMD
  • Do not plan on overclocking/nor do I have a desire to
  • Not planning on doing VR any time soon but having the capability to would be nice
  • Would like a fairly quiet system
  • Open to fans or liquid cooling (no experience with liquid)
  • A couple SSDs would probably be enough for my uses
  • Don't know if i7-6700 and Nvidia 8GB 1070 Founder's Edition is overkill or just right
  • 16GB of memory enough? Unsure of what/best kind to use
  • Budget is between $500 and $3,000. Would prefer if the final price came to around $1,500-$1,800
  • Looking at having this done at somewhere like Origin, iBuyPower, CyberPC or something similar.

So, what parts would you guys choose to build this kind of a system? Does anyone having experience with any of these companies? Are there other comanies you would recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I understand there is probably some new architecture/system right around the corner that will forever change the way we game but I've procrastinated on getting a new machine long enough. I'm pulling the trigger now, not in November.

Thanks everyone!

Post edited by barryd on

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Go here you can put together a shopping list, deconflict any potential issues, then take it a pc builder and have them put it all together for you, or send the list to one of the sites on the web that builds computers for people. Anyway, you want to go you can see what you want and what works with what.

Not saying build it yourself, but I am saying you can do the research and save some headache.
    [Deleted User]

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    This is what I have and it works extremely well:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
    GPU: GTX 1080
    Motherboard: MSI B350 PC Mate
    Storage: Crucial MX300 1TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
    Power Supply: EVGA 850 G2
    RAM: 16GB DDR4
    Case: Enthoo Pro
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4
    Operating System: Windows 10

You should be able to do this for under 2k or so.

Cleffy
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2017
    barryd said:
    • Would like a fairly quiet system
    • Open to fans or liquid cooling (no experience with liquid)
    • Don't know if i7-6700 and Nvidia 8GB 1070 Founder's Edition is overkill or just right
    • 16GB of memory enough? Unsure of what/best kind to use
    1. For a quiet system, most important part is your GPU because it's the noisiest. Check a review where they've measured noise levels of that particular GPU before buying. You don't need to buy anything special, just get a GPU with silent air cooling because there's often huge difference in their noise levels.

Other parts that impact noise are your CPU cooler, PSU, and hard disks. For CPU cooler there are plenty of fairly quiet parts available, just check that part before buying.

For PSU there are passive PSUs available up to 520W they are completely silent, like:
      https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Nightjar-Completely-Acoustics-NJ520/dp/B00KHO0IG0
    but you don't need to spend that much money you can also get a good PSU with active cooling and it'll be quiet enough.

For hard disks SSD is silent, spinning hard disks are not. If you build a system with only SSD, or with big enough SSD that you only need to use the hard disk infrequently, that drops the noise level by a lot.

Also make sure to check what kind of case fans you get to your system. A couple of good quality large case fans going at low RPM can be virtually silent and make the cooling a lot better.

2. You can choose either liquid or air cooling and both will do the trick. The quality of parts, and checking reviews that that particular part doesn't make too much noise, is more important than whether you choose air or liquid.

3. Don't get NVidia's founder edition cards if you want quiet system. They're one of the noisiest card out there. GTX 1070 is a good card, but get something with other cooling system instead

EDIT: For GTX 1070 good silent graphic cards are EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming, and MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X

Look here for comparison: 

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_1070_sc_superclocked_gaming_review,11.html

4. 16GB is enough. Most likely you'll want 2x8GB set of DDR4 memory. But the final choice of memory type depends on your PSU and motherboard.

If you get a motherboard with 4 memory slots you can get 2x8GB now, and if you ever need more buy another 2x8GB later on. But getting 16GB now is plenty enough, more would be overkill. It's unlikely you'd need more in the future.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited June 2017
    I agree with Sevrath on everything but the PSU. The PSU should be fine at 650w. Best to get the PSU that will match your power draw for better efficiency.
    Skytech Omega Gaming Computer $1899.99
    Loke666
  • EvarduneEvardune Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited June 2017
    Cpu: Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700 if you are doing other stuff too like editing or streaming.
    Mobo: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK.
    Cooler: No Need as the AMD stock cooler is excellent and very quiet.
    GPU: Radeon RX580 or Nvidia GTX1070. Depends on your budget.
    RAM: 8-16 GB DDR4. Get high speed RAM (Max 3200) Ryzen loves it.
    HDD: Whatever (I recommend Seagate or Western Digital).
    SSD: Whatever (All major brands (Corsair, Toshiba, Samsung, Kingston, etc) are good).

Voila! :)
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-Ryzen™-5-1600X

One things for sure AMD might be better for General Use, but now I am favoring Intel more because of the CPU Instructions making game-play on certain older games and such more smooth and the way it handles processing seems to be better.
    Evardune said:
    Cpu: Ryzen 5 1600 or Ryzen 7 1700 if you are doing other stuff too like editing or streaming.
    SSD: Whatever (All major brands (Corsair, Toshiba, Samsung, Kingston, etc) are good).

Allow me to shock you. Right now Seagate has the worst HDDs, and... HGST Deskstars are the best.
    GdemamiEvardune
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Do you have a local pc shop around your town that will assemble one for you if you bring in the parts?
    If so then I would take the time to research parts, order them and have it built.
    This way you can custom build your pc with quality components and save money over ordering from someone like ibuypower.
    If that's not an option then go with a vendor like origin. 
  • barrydbarryd Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Some great advice on here and I thank you. I've spent some time on pcpartpicker (ty Hatefull) and I think maybe the best option is to use that and, like jdnewell suggested, take it to my local shop to have it assembled. Of course they sell their own configurable gaming rig that still comes out to be around $2.5k.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Another question: Are sound cards needed anymore? Even if I wanted to plug in my guitar to screw around with something like Rocksmith, isn't onboard audio good enough these days?
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited June 2017
    Pretty sure any mid to high end mobo will have a good enough sound card already integrated.  Best thing is to check when choosing your mobo if you want to do something specific like that.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Is your question primarily "what hardware should I get" or is it "where should I get it assembled"?

Having someone else build your computer does eat up part of the budget, but for many people, it's really a question of whether you have more spare money or spare time.  You've got a large enough budget that paying to get it assembled need not mean settling for inferior hardware.
    laxie
    edited June 2017
    No onboard sound will have the larger jacks for certain audio devices. You should get a sound card if you are in a special instance of needing one. There aren't many sound card vendors today. I think maybe 3.
    Personally, I don't even use my onboard sound. Went pure digital sound with a USB to speaker. Most onboard sound is good enough, but won't meet the demands of an audiophile. Even from the higher end boards. So like I said it really just depends on how far you want to push it.
    Gdemami
    Quizzical said:
    Is your question primarily "what hardware should I get" or is it "where should I get it assembled"?

Having someone else build your computer does eat up part of the budget, but for many people, it's really a question of whether you have more spare money or spare time.  You've got a large enough budget that paying to get it assembled need not mean settling for inferior hardware.
    It's both actually. I'd like to know if, going by the genres and games listed, if an i7 6700k and a GTX 1070 is overkill for what I need and, if so, what would be a better option. I also wanted to know if anyone had any experince using ibuypower, cyberpc and/or Origin.

After doing more research, I'm beginning to think I dont need a cutting edge machine to satisfy my requirements. Perhaps the best way to phrase it at this point is, going off my game list, what would be the optimal setup to have built for around $1500-$1800? Case, OS, everything included.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    For your budget, reassembled, I would say you are in the right ballpark with a Core i5 and a 1070.

i7 will add $100-200 to a prebuilt markup and won't really give you any better gaming performance - but if it fits your budget then why not.

that type of rig may be overkill now, but that's a lot better than "not enough" and will give you some legs to get some good use out of it

I've heard mixed reports about CyberPower and iBuyPower - you have to be very careful in your product selection (if you let anything go to default you will get junk), and if you. Red to rely on their warranty your going to have a bad time. 
    [Deleted User]
    edited June 2017
    Torval said:

With preassembled warranty claims you often have to send the entire system back to the manufacturer. For the crap Acer box I bought it meant shipping it away for 2 weeks to Acer. I can't be without a system for 2 weeks so the warranty ended up being useless when I needed it. Buying named brand prebuilt is still a huge crapshoot unfortunately.
    On the other hand with self-build you're often in a situation where determining which of the parts is broken either takes a lot of time or costs a lot of money. With preassembled you're at least in a situation where you can mail it and the rest is done for you.
    Ridelynn

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Whatever you do avoid the new X299 chips and boards.  Way to pricey, for little or no performance increase.

Personally, as a gamer, I favor I5 chips, the extra threads on an I7 rarely come into play in games.  If you run a lot of extra threads, I would chose a Ryzen chip over an Intel at the moment.  Far as I am concerned, from a gamers perspective is that the graphics card is the primary importance at present.  A 1070 or 1080 is the minimum I would recommend.   If you are not intent on 4k the 1070 will probably do, but the 1080 is necessary for 4k.  

You can still put a good system together for under $1200 if you are careful.  Those $2000+ rigs won't double your performance, maybe up it by a third at best.
    Gdemami
    Ozmodan said:
    \  A 1070 or 1080 is the minimum I would recommend.   If you are not intent on 4k the 1070 will probably do, but the 1080 is necessary for 4k.  

\
    Well I would only be playing on a 1080 monitor so I dont need the extra oomph for 4k. And the prices for some of those cards even on newegg are a bit off-putting. I'm thinking maybe the 1060 is wheres it at for my needs and perhaps an i5, I'm assuming the non-k version.

While I've been perusing builds I'm seeing a lot of 16GB m.2 pcinvme (or something) + mechanical drive. What the hell are these m.2 things and do I need one? Isnt just a 500GB SSD as a boot drive and game drive still good enough?
    edited June 2017
    barryd said:

While I've been perusing builds I'm seeing a lot of 16GB m.2 pcinvme (or something) + mechanical drive. What the hell are these m.2 things and do I need one? Isnt just a 500GB SSD as a boot drive and game drive still good enough?
    M.2 SSDs can be faster than normal SSDs, but they're also so expensive that for normal gaming computer it's not a good purchase.

Just aim for the cheapest $/GB when choosing which SSD to buy.

EDIT: On second though, the M.2. SSD prices have been going down. If you get a good deal on one, you could also buy a M.2. SSD.

But just buy whichever is cheapest. And if you buy M.2. SSD check that your motherboard supports it. Most modern motherboards already do, but not all. /EDIT
    RidelynnOzmodan

Vrika said:
    barryd said:

M.2 SSDs can be faster than normal SSDs, but they're also so expensive that for normal gaming computer it's not a good purchase.

Just aim for the cheapest $/GB when choosing which SSD to buy.

EDIT: On second though, the M.2. SSD prices have been going down. If you get a good deal on one, you could also buy a M.2. SSD.

But just buy whichever is cheapest. And if you buy M.2. SSD check that your motherboard supports it. Most modern motherboards already do, but not all. /EDIT
    M2 NVMe is ~faster~ than SATA, but I wouldn't pay a lot extra for it unless your a streamer or doing something with a lot of data that gets dumped real time. That speed mostly just deals with transfer speed, not random I/O - and random I/O is where most of the benefit of getting any SSD in the first place comes from.

I totally agree with - aim for cheapest $/GB when selecting your drive. Also take a gander at the controller chip to make sure you aren't getting something that's complete junk - that's rarer these days now that the market as matured a lot, but still possible if you are pursuing the lowest priced options. 
    edited June 2017
    barryd said:
    Ozmodan said:
    \  A 1070 or 1080 is the minimum I would recommend.   If you are not intent on 4k the 1070 will probably do, but the 1080 is necessary for 4k.  

\
    Well I would only be playing on a 1080 monitor so I dont need the extra oomph for 4k. And the prices for some of those cards even on newegg are a bit off-putting. I'm thinking maybe the 1060 is wheres it at for my needs and perhaps an i5, I'm assuming the non-k version.

M2 is just a form factor - they look like a small card that plugs into a socket on the motherboard - a bit larger than a USB drive typically. NVMe is the protocol they use (which is faster than SATA and supposedly optimized for SSD storage). These drives do not use the standard hard drive connections (SATA) on your motherboard, they require a special M2 socket. You have to be aware of the length of the card (they are sold in multiples of 20mm) - the larger the drive, the longer the card, but motherboards typically have limits on how long of a card they will support (60mm or 80mm are common).

Intel Optane is probably what you are seeing in the 16G range. Those are M2 NVMe drives, and Optane is a bit different than your standard SSD. It's meant to augment a traditional hard drive and allow it to act as fast as a standard SSD. Basically it allows you to turn any hard drive into a hybrid SSD/HDD drive. In reality - why bother, just get the standard SSD boot drive + game drive like you say - it's easier to deal with, performance is more consistent, and the cost isn't going to be all that different.

Intel is pushing them hard right now, but they don't make a lot of sense in a lot of cases, it's only available on motherboards where, if you have the budget to buy that model of motherboard, you have the budget to buy an SSD instead of a HDD in the first place. And, as you may know, with the SSD Boot + HDD Data model, speeding up that Data HDD doesn't buy a lot of performance increase for most people because that data is either rarely used, or not speed critical.

Also, at 1080p gaming - yeah, what you are thinking will work well. The 1060 (either 3 or 6G edition), the RX570, and the RX580 are all good options of the current generation. Cryptominers are going crazy right now and GPU prices are all over the place: a GTX970/980 or AMD Fury/470/480 are good alternatives from previous generations that are worth considering if you can find them at a good price and the prices for the current gen are completely bonkers.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited June 2017
    Well right now I am using a Intel 540 SSD its a little bit of a dated one but (I only put my operating system on it) and programs like Photoshop, or other programs that I am not going to remove...

The computer loads in 5 seconds, although a M2 drive would make it a bit faster, and it does take like 5 seconds because I have Blizzard & Steam auto starting.

All other games go on a up to date Regular Western Digital Drive.

And my "Desktop" "Music" "Downloads" "Videos" "Pictures" folder have all been moved to a different hard-drive and off my SSD to prevent early failure.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    barryd said:
    Ozmodan said:

\

Great advice in this thread.  A 1060 version with 6gb works well for 1080p as does a good I5.  I do what many of the other posters have said, I put active games on my ssd and everything else on a hard disk, including anything I want to keep like photos, documents etc.
    edited June 2017
    I use a 1TB Samsung 960 M2 drive as my only drive and backup all my data to the cloud. A lot faster transfer rate since it is going through a PCI-e lane directly on your mobo. It also saves space. Its similar to the OCZ Z-Drives that ran off PCI-e lanes. Not at all necessary for the typical user.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Cleffy said:
    Evardune said:

Allow me to shock you. Right now Seagate has the worst HDDs, and... HGST Deskstars are the best.
    To be fair I don't think the HDD really matters here. I doubt he's recommendation was for games to be installed on the HDD (it should all be on the SSD).
    edited June 2017
    Oh should mention 1 thing. Don't get a GTX 1070 or AMD card. They are being eaten up by crypto-currency miners and their prices are jacked up. If you want a midrange card go for the GTX 1060 6GB if it is below $250 and the GTX 1080 if it is below $550.