A few questions to decide if I give TESO another try

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 .Member RarePosts: 4,319
    Athisar said:
    I've been wondering about giving it a try again myself.

I have the original base game, it's a shame you can't upgrade to the gold edition especially as when that's on sale it's like half the price I paid without any DLC.

I heard they'd made the whole game independent of level now, that it scales. Is that true for Morrowind or is it a new level cap?
    @Athisar REgarding your upgrade comment:

There is an upgrade path from Basic to Gold. ZoS released a 4 DLC pack at the same time - the only one excluded from the pack was last years dungeon DLC. Base cost is c. 50% of the individual DLCs and as you say they do have "50%" off sales. (And even though Imperial City is a mixed PvE-PvP zone it gives you access to some excellent PvE only instances. (Its fun as well but I know some folk dislike anything PvP.)
    Torval
  • gervaise1gervaise1 .Member RarePosts: 4,319
    edited September 7
    Iselin said:
    I agree with you about the guild vendors, that systems sucks donkey balls, and only promotes the creating of big, lifeless guilds only used for the vendors. ESO with an auction house would be better and avoid a lot of useless hassle, and also some blatant exploitation from some trading guilds.
    There are a lot of hardcore ESO fans that will defend the lack of an AH to the death as a "feature." I think it sucks too and they should have at least zone based auction houses.

I can understand the lack of a global AH. There is usually a "delay" searching on a (max 500 person) guild trader - when you are the only person searching on that trader.

Scale it up to 10s possibly 100k+ all potentially posting and searching on millions of items listed on the same AH and I suspect there would be uproar at the lag. (A lot of the big guilds quote millions of sales a week but whether this is fiction or real I have no idea). 

Would zone based AHs work? Or would everyone want to list items in just a few zones - which would defeat the object. However - maybe - zone traders will only deal in items that drop in their zone. And you have weapon traders (AHs); armour traders; basic material traders; housing traders  - maybe break it down even more. Have a row of clearly labelled shops / stalls essentially.

This might tackle some of the lag issues but probably not all. And it could end up so fractured / complex that people who dislike what exists now could remain unhappy. And - as @Iselin rightly says - there are those who have become very invested in the current system. Personally I am still of the opinion that with the One Tamriel patch you can do without AHs completely. (That is heresy of course.)

It is what it is I suppose. Different but arguably not one of ESOs "highlights".
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • AthisarAthisar Leamington SpaMember UncommonPosts: 647
    gervaise1 said:
    Athisar said:
    I've been wondering about giving it a try again myself.

I have the original base game, it's a shame you can't upgrade to the gold edition especially as when that's on sale it's like half the price I paid without any DLC.

I heard they'd made the whole game independent of level now, that it scales. Is that true for Morrowind or is it a new level cap?
    @Athisar REgarding your upgrade comment:

There is an upgrade path from Basic to Gold. ZoS released a 4 DLC pack at the same time - the only one excluded from the pack was last years dungeon DLC. Base cost is c. 50% of the individual DLCs and as you say they do have "50%" off sales. (And even though Imperial City is a mixed PvE-PvP zone it gives you access to some excellent PvE only instances. (Its fun as well but I know some folk dislike anything PvP.)
    I'd assume though that the upgrade in game is a lot more expensive than buying the gold edition in a sale. I'll probably give the game another go soon anyway.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,529
    edited September 11
    Well, I can say I'm hooked... the little Nord has already gone a long way.

And yeah, she got the Explorer title ! *happy dance*
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    IselinTorvalExcession
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,891

Sorry, hiding character name not because of the ESO community, but because I enjoy my names, they are original, and I don't want some forum troll to ninja them in new games just to be an ass ;)

And yeah, I got the Explorer title !!! *happy dance*
    Only 100 more CP and you too can get permanent gear and monster shoulder/head sets :)

Glad you're enjoying it.
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi --
  • alivenaliven SzczytnoMember UncommonPosts: 264
    Hi, I'm thinking about giving ESO a new try, back then at release I was disgusted by some commercial practices for this game.
    So here are a few questions that I hope will get honest answers:

1) Can you now play an Imperial without buying something special? Are there still races/classes locked behind a purchase, and even worse, one you can't get anymore today?
    2) Do you still need to inject money into the cash shop if you choose to pay a subscription (aka "ESO PLUS") or does the subscription provide everything you need as it should be?
    3) Would you recommend the Morrowind "Digital Collector" or is the normal version more worth it ? Money isn't a problem, but I want to know if the bonuses are worth the price difference.

Subsidiary question, as a heavy armor wearing melee player, (think "Death Knight" in WoW, or "Warrior" in Guild Wars 2), what would I be more happy with, Dragon Knight or Templar? I'm more Warrior than Paladin usually.

Thanks!
    1. Imperial still need separate purchase, IMperial edition or Imperial Upgrade. There is warden locked behind morrowind expansion. 
    2. Base game without subscription provide everything you need. ESO+ (sub) give you each dlc as long as you pay for it (morrowind is not a dlc and therefore excluded from this), crafting bag (unlimited space for crafting mats, shared across all characters on account), 2x bank space and bonuses like 10% more xp. 
    3. No, they are not worth it in my opinion. 

Dragon Knight. 

Pleasure. 
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,360

Sorry, hiding character name not because of the ESO community, but because I enjoy my names, they are original, and I don't want some forum troll to ninja them in new games just to be an ass ;)

Share your gear, trait, and skill bar and any tips if you're comfortable. I know some people like to keep their character build "secret sauce" and all. It's always interesting to get ideas and see what works for others.
    Album: The Who Sell Out
    Featured Tracks: Heinz Baked Beans, Our Love Was, Hall of the Mountain King (the first and most awesome rock version)
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Seattle, WAMember UncommonPosts: 1,476
    edited September 12

[mod edit: removed picture upon request]

One of ur Screenshot says your name btw! SorryGwen
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Real Fans of Chess don't get bored!
    Real Fans of Soccer don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of Baseball don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of MMORPGs don’t get bored!
    What's your excuse?
    Maybe you could edit and message him so his intent can remain intact instead of broadcasting what he'd hoped would remain private.
    Featured Tracks: Heinz Baked Beans, Our Love Was, Hall of the Mountain King (the first and most awesome rock version)
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Seattle, WAMember UncommonPosts: 1,476
    Torval said:
    Maybe you could edit and message him so his intent can remain intact instead of broadcasting what he'd hoped would remain private.
    And ruin my reputation?

ScotchUp
    Real Fans of Chess don't get bored!
    Real Fans of Soccer don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of Baseball don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of MMORPGs don’t get bored!
    What's your excuse?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 1,554
    While I no longer play ESO, here's my $0.02.

1. Don't install the game via Steam. Steam installs both the PC and Mac clients regardless of which operating system you use. If you delete one of the folders, it will just reinstall it next time. Use the installer from Zen's site and shave off about 20-30 gigs.

2. Get Minion, an easy add-on manager. Like all TES games, you'll need to mod the shit out of it to make it tolerable.

Enjoy!
    ~ postlarval ~
    If I knew how I knew everything I knew, then I’d only be able to know half as much because my brain would be all clogged up with where I knew it from. 
    edited September 12
    Torval said:

[mod edit: removed picture upon request]

Share your gear, trait, and skill bar and any tips if you're comfortable. I know some people like to keep their character build "secret sauce" and all. It's always interesting to get ideas and see what works for others.
    I'm still building up some skills and balancing, I didn't have enough survivability in melee. I think I don't lack DOTs, even though Bow gives me that plenty, but I'm not very good at AOE so I'm going to level up some skills for that too.

And I don't have any "secret sauce", even though none of the builds I found on the net were totally satisfying to me so I'm improvising.

Right now on the 2H bar I have:
    Wrecking Blow, Green Dragon Blood, Momentum (upgrading soon, that's a super skill), Brawler and Executioner, ultimate Ferocious Leap.

This basically makes me a 2H tank, I faceroll public dungeons now. I easily solo Dark Anchors too, even though I'm not the fastest. World bosses are a bit harder...

And on the bow bar:
    Draining Shot, Poison Injection, Lethal Arrow, Acid Spray, Endless Hail, ultimate Rapid Fire.

I definitely have to get some class skills on the bow bar to use that Maginka, but I'm working on it. Dark Talons are going there soon (after the damned weekly downtime).
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Torval
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
    edited September 11
    http://eso-skills.com/skill?z=JlhFK78@nTL6DT%xduKZ@3qP1P2&p=056205720582059205979162917212131222123212421252&a=002044&c=Picard&j=t&q=025&w=50&m=0

Still a lot of work to do on the bow bar, and I'm getting the guild skills too to mix into that. I also need some kind of gap closer, I have that chain skill maxed out that I can drag onto the bar if needed.

If you have ideas, I'm always open to suggestions :)
    Torval said:

I'm still building up some skills and balancing, I didn't have enough survivability in melee. I think I don't lack DOTs, even though Bow gives me that plenty, but I'm not very good at AOE so I'm going to level up some skills for that too.

And I don't have any "secret sauce", even though none of the builds I found on the net were totally satisfying to me so I'm improvising.

Wrecking Blow, Green Dragon Blood, Momentum (upgrading soon, that's a super skill), Brawler and Executioner, ultimate Ferocious Leap.

This basically makes me a 2H tank, I faceroll public dungeons now. I easily solo Dark Anchors too, even though I'm not the fastest. World bosses are a bit harder...

And on the bow bar:
    Draining Shot, Poison Injection, Lethal Arrow, Acid Spray, Endless Hail, ultimate Rapid Fire.

I definitely have to get some class skills on the bow bar to use that Maginka, but I'm working on it. Dark Talons are going there soon (after the damned weekly downtime).
    The best AOE skill you can get for Stamina builds is Caltrops from the PVP Assault line. It's even more useful in PVE than PVP because mob packs don't move out of the AOE.

Jean-Luc_Picardlaserit

-- Yogi --
    edited September 12
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

[mod edit:  removed picture upon request]

And on the bow bar:

The best AOE skill you can get for Stamina builds is Caltrops from the PVP Assault line. It's even more useful in PVE than PVP because mob packs don't move out of the AOE.

Aye I've read about Caltrops thanks. I'll have to work on that too.

Linked the build in the post above yours, I can't remember all the other skills for now, and the game is down for maintenance.

Before I enhanced my 2H bar, I was doing hard stuff with mostly with the bow... draining shot is fabulous for survivability too.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

And on the bow bar:

Aye I've read about Caltrops thanks. I'll have to work on that too.

Linked the build in the post above yours, I can't remember all the other skills for now, and the game is down for maintenance.

Before I enhanced my 2H bar, I was doing hard stuff with mostly with the bow... draining shot is fabulous for survivability too.
    Ah yes the weekly 6 hour downtime. Must suck especially for the EU.

Stamina DKs are not really my forte. I do have one at CP 650 but I leveled him literally years ago - he was my 2nd ever character back in 2014. These days he just chills in Craglorn and cooks my food.

As I've said other times I really lean toward magicka builds since the Morrowind update and its sustain nerf because I find them so much easier to weave heavy attacks with either lightning or resto staves. You really do need to HA for sustain especially in long dungeon boss fights and I find doing it with other weapons awkward.

The only 2 Stamina classes I play semi-regularly now are my Sorc and Warden.

It's probably easier for you because you only started playing after Morrowind so you didn't get spoiled by 3 years of virtually unlimited stamina or magicka like we did

-- Yogi --
  • YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 1,937
    http://eso-skills.com/skill?z=JlhFK78@nTL6DT%xduKZ@3qP1P2&p=056205720582059205979162917212131222123212421252&a=002044&c=Picard&j=t&q=025&w=50&m=0

Still a lot of work to do on the bow bar, and I'm getting the guild skills too to mix into that. I also need some kind of gap closer, I have that chain skill maxed out that I can drag onto the bar if needed.

Critical charge (2H ability) is a good gap closer. I often also use burning talons and venomous claw when I play stam DK.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    YashaX said:

Critical charge (2H ability) is a good gap closer. I often also use burning talons and venomous claw when I play stam DK.
    I have used Critical Charge, but I ended using the "inverted" chains (Empowering Chains) because it was something using my Magicka.
  • YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 1,937
    YashaX said:

I have used Critical Charge, but I ended using the "inverted" chains (Empowering Chains) because it was something using my Magicka.
    I also noticed you don't have an armor debuff skill, maybe consider noxious breath (the stamina morph of fiery breath), its an aoe that applies a poison dot and lowers the enemy's physical resistance.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
    YashaX said:
    YashaX said:

I also noticed you don't have an armor debuff skill, maybe consider noxious breath (the stamina morph of fiery breath), its an aoe that applies a poison dot and lowers the enemy's physical resistance.
    I actually had considered that one too, good idea, I'll try it.
    All 399 skyshards collected... :)
    TorvalIselingervaise1YashaX
    Wow, congrats! Well done.
    That didn't take you long. You've been playing the crap out of this haven't you? :)
    YashaX

-- Yogi --
    edited October 14
    Iselin said:
    That didn't take you long. You've been playing the crap out of this haven't you? :)
    Can't deny that I love One Tamriel :)
    I also have the "Explorer" Title.

To me, the game is on par with GW2 for the title of best MMO released since WoW in 2004. Maybe even a bit ahead, since I like the setting more than the sometimes too "asian" one of GW2.
    gervaise1IselinTorval
  • HarikenHariken Brighton, MAMember RarePosts: 1,692
    SaunZ said:
    you can make any class a Warrior type.  I am wearing Heavy on my Warden and having lots of fun. the best thing about ESO is that you can get really creative with the different classes.
    Just don't think about doing group content if you don't have a cookie cutter build. The group content in this game is controlled by mmo elitist. But if you want to play ESO like a single player TES game you can make any crazy build you like and have a blast with it.
    YashaX