A few questions to decide if I give TESO another try

Comments

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,529
    SaunZ said:
    lol... ALL races should make everybody not in first place quit after the first portion of the race
    No offense, but could you repeat that in understandable English please?
    MrMelGibsonYashaX
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,234
    SaunZ said:
    lol... ALL races should make everybody not in first place quit after the first portion of the race
    No offense, but could you repeat that in understandable English please?
    I want what he is smoking.  
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • wandericawanderica clayton, NCMember UncommonPosts: 279
    Well, I gave in and just bought the Morrowind Collector along with a recurring subscription.
    I'm going for Dragon Knight first, sounds like the closest to what I enjoy playing. Never said I wanted a "clone" of a death knight.
    If it gives me 6+ months of fun, it'll be a win.

What really pushed me past the threshold is that VorpX supports ESO on VR headsets with full headtracking. That's a nice bonus to me, can't wait to try that out.
    That I didn't know.  I may have to dust off the old DK2 and give it a shot.  Does anyone have experience playing ESO with a controller? 

I just picked ESO up again in the last day or so.  I hated the game the first 4 times I tried to play it, but it might actually stick this time.  I wandered around right after I left the newbie island and found myself doing the dark brotherhood quest line.  I'm having tons of fun int he game now.  Like enough to ignore the crappy auction system for once.  I hope you enjoy ESO, OP.  It really does have a lot to offer, and I finally get why One Tamriel was so well received. 
    TorvalJean-Luc_Picard

wanderica said:
    Well, I gave in and just bought the Morrowind Collector along with a recurring subscription.
    I'm going for Dragon Knight first, sounds like the closest to what I enjoy playing. Never said I wanted a "clone" of a death knight.
    If it gives me 6+ months of fun, it'll be a win.

What really pushed me past the threshold is that VorpX supports ESO on VR headsets with full headtracking. That's a nice bonus to me, can't wait to try that out.
    That I didn't know.  I may have to dust off the old DK2 and give it a shot.  Does anyone have experience playing ESO with a controller? 

I just picked ESO up again in the last day or so.  I hated the game the first 4 times I tried to play it, but it might actually stick this time.  I wandered around right after I left the newbie island and found myself doing the dark brotherhood quest line.  I'm having tons of fun int he game now.  Like enough to ignore the crappy auction system for once.  I hope you enjoy ESO, OP.  It really does have a lot to offer, and I finally get why One Tamriel was so well received. 
    Back in beta and at release, the game didn't "catch" me.
    I've recently read about the changes the game went through, and some posters here I trust (there aren't many) seemed to enjoy the game a lot. This encouraged me to try it again, since I wanted to find a new "AAA" MMORPG to play for a change.

I agree with you about the guild vendors, that systems sucks donkey balls, and only promotes the creating of big, lifeless guilds only used for the vendors. ESO with an auction house would be better and avoid a lot of useless hassle, and also some blatant exploitation from some trading guilds.
    MrMelGibsonwandericaPhry
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,899
    I agree with you about the guild vendors, that systems sucks donkey balls, and only promotes the creating of big, lifeless guilds only used for the vendors. ESO with an auction house would be better and avoid a lot of useless hassle, and also some blatant exploitation from some trading guilds.
    There are a lot of hardcore ESO fans that will defend the lack of an AH to the death as a "feature." I think it sucks too and they should have at least zone based auction houses.

Jean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibsonwanderica
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi --
    Iselin said:
    There are a lot of hardcore ESO fans that will defend the lack of an AH to the death as a "feature." I think it sucks too and they should have at least zone based auction houses.
    "Hardcore" fans tend to defend the most stupid mechanics, we've seen that a lot during the whole MMORPG genre history. FFA Full loot PvP with no restriction or consequences for instance... in the name of "freedom".
    MrMelGibsonPhry
  • wandericawanderica clayton, NCMember UncommonPosts: 279
    Iselin said:
    "Hardcore" fans tend to defend the most stupid mechanics, we've seen that a lot during the whole MMORPG genre history. FFA Full loot PvP with no restriction or consequences for instance... in the name of "freedom".
    Agreed.  But then, at least in those full loot games, there's something for those that enjoy that experience.  It seems to me that the guild based trading in ESO was poorly thought out.  I get they wanted to limit market manipulation, but being in multiple trading guilds makes that even worse.  If I'm not mistaken, there were no guild traders at launch.  You had to be in the guild to buy AND sell.  It was obviously broken, and even then you had people defending the system.  The cap to guild sizes further hampers this.  There used to be a waiting list to get into the larger guilds.  Don't know if that's still the case.

I've pretty much given up on it ever changing, and it will, unfortunately, just remain the one thing I hate about the game.  I think Zenimax could change the system to at least make it more accessible.  Gear drops easily enough from quest rewards and dungeon drops, but I've largely ignored crafting except for research so far.  I can't understand why people defend this system as is.  Even a small change, like localizing vendors in the capital cities instead of spread out all over the world, would make it tolerable.  As is though?  No thanks, I'll just level crafting instead of traipsing all over Tamriel looking for a chest piece.  Iselin is right, though, complaining about it on the official forums is almost as bad as complaining about FFA PvP in the Darkfall forums.

• YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 1,940
    Iselin said:

I can understand the appeal of the guild based trading system; in theory it adds another layer of depth. In practice I find it inconvenient and it does add another barrier to entry.

In relation to that, here is a site that shows the prices of items in all the guild vendors, which I have found really helpful: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
    Octagon7711Jean-Luc_Picardwanderica
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

I can understand the appeal of the guild based trading system; in theory it adds another layer of depth. In practice I find it inconvenient and it does add another barrier to entry.

In relation to that, here is a site that shows the prices of items in all the guild vendors, which I have found really helpful: https://us.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
    Yeah I use their add-on for setting my prices when I sell. I like it better than Master Merchant because it's much leaner and up to the minute with pricing.

-- Yogi --
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Good add-on, thanks for the heads up :)

Now to find a trading guild that doesn't ask a weekly fee of more gold than I can afford...
    TorvalPhry
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Now to find a trading guild that doesn't ask a weekly fee of more gold than I can afford...
    By the way, that addon has been discontinued 2 years ago... but there's the same feature in the addon "Destinations".
    gervaise1
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

By the way, that addon has been discontinued 2 years ago... but there's the same feature in the addon "Destinations".
    Which add-on are you talking about that has been discontinued? Not the TTC one. That's current and was last updated August 14, 2017.

BTW, if you're going to get and use some addons, I highly recommend Minion, the ESOUI addon installer and updater: https://www.minion.gg/

-- Yogi --
    edited August 31
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Which add-on are you talking about that has been discontinued? Not the TTC one. That's current and was last updated August 14, 2017.

BTW, if you're going to get and use some addons, I highly recommend Minion, the ESOUI addon installer and updater: https://www.minion.gg/

Totally my bad, I confused two discussions.
    It's an addon tracking dungeon bosses which is obsolete.

Sorry :)

PS: and yes, I'm using Minion.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,797
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Thanks to this thread (or maybe another on this site) that I learned about add-ons.  Now, if only WinZip hadn't blown up at me and demanded money, I'd have actively installed a few.  I'm really not anxious to spend $50 on a utility needed to open a file needed to enhance a game.  I haven't used WinZip since 2004, when I had more need for it.

Does anyone have recommendations for add-ons that don't require WinZip?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,377
    I did have that problem with the Curse client. It was riddled with outdated addons and no way to know unless you researched each addon. I'm trying the Minion client, but I hate managing multiple addon clients.
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
    Mendel said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Thanks to this thread (or maybe another on this site) that I learned about add-ons.  Now, if only WinZip hadn't blown up at me and demanded money, I'd have actively installed a few.  I'm really not anxious to spend $50 on a utility needed to open a file needed to enhance a game.  I haven't used WinZip since 2004, when I had more need for it.

Does anyone have recommendations for add-ons that don't require WinZip?
    Minion does all the installing for you without need of anything else and it's an executable itself so no winzip needed to install it either.

BTW, 7-zip is also a good unzipper and it's free open source.
    TorvalMendelPhry

-- Yogi --
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,377
    This is your archive utility friend (imo): http://www.7-zip.org/  It's free as in beer and speech and is stable. It's good for small or large jobs.
    blueturtle13MendelJean-Luc_Picardwaynejr2Phry
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
    Torval said:
    This is your archive utility friend (imo): http://www.7-zip.org/  It's free as in beer and speech and is stable. It's good for small or large jobs.
    I'll join the praises for 7-Zip. Definitely the best, and free as a summer breeze.
    waynejr2TorvalPhry
  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,797
    It's been a very long time since I needed a zip utility.  Not something I try to keep up-to-date on anymore.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AthisarAthisar Leamington SpaMember UncommonPosts: 647
    I've been wondering about giving it a try again myself.

I have the original base game, it's a shame you can't upgrade to the gold edition especially as when that's on sale it's like half the price I paid without any DLC.

I heard they'd made the whole game independent of level now, that it scales. Is that true for Morrowind or is it a new level cap?
    Athisar said:
    I've been wondering about giving it a try again myself.

I have the original base game, it's a shame you can't upgrade to the gold edition especially as when that's on sale it's like half the price I paid without any DLC.

I heard they'd made the whole game independent of level now, that it scales. Is that true for Morrowind or is it a new level cap?
    The level cap is 50 but after that you accumulate Champion Points that work like the similar thing in Diablo3 and are account wide. All the mobs everywhere are set to level 50 / CP 160 and if you are below that, you get scaled to that level. The current CP max is 660 and they add to that by 30 points 3 or 4 times per year. The absolute CP max the system has is CP 3600 so it'll be a few years before that cap is useable.

The max gear is currently CP 160 and has been that way for quite a while with no immediate plans of raising it. 

-- Yogi --
  • YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 1,940
    Mendel said:
    It's been a very long time since I needed a zip utility.  Not something I try to keep up-to-date on anymore.
    If you use windows 10, right click on the file and choose "extract all", no additional program needed. Pretty sure windows has done this for a long time for standard zip files.
    cmacq
    YashaX said:
    Mendel said:
    If you use windows 10, right click on the file and choose "extract all", no additional program needed. Pretty sure windows has done this for a long time for standard zip files.
    There are some issues with file permissions sometimes when using the built in unzip of windows. That's why we are always using 7zip at work and not that built in tool.
    Phry
    Found a new hobby in game: getting the "Explorer" title!
    Took me quite a few hours, but I already did all the Cyrodiil and Pact ones.
    The amount and variety of dungeons in this game is impressive. Changes from the usual copy/paste caves of other games. There's an amount of world building work done in ESO which surpasses most if not all other MMORPGs.
    YashaXTorvalgervaise1
  • RaquisRaquis hartenbosMember UncommonPosts: 774
    ESO is good but i just can't get into it.